Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   NON-SPORTS (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/non-sports/)
-   -   Benchwarmers Question (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/non-sports/431409-benchwarmers-question.html)

CollectorMan 01-13-2013 04:31 PM

Benchwarmers Question

Despite the obvious "They are good looking"..What is the appeal of these cards? I've never understood it. These ladies don't act, and if they do..it's usually in a skin flick. So why do people like these things? I know some people flip them, but do people actually PC these cards? Or is this strictly a monetary investment type product?

IMO these are basically soft core. It's irritating to search Non sports on Ebay or here, and have to go through a sea of them unsold. I'd love to here a Benchwamers collector/expert to explain these cards to me.

Spider-Fan 01-13-2013 05:27 PM

I don't collect the cards myself, but if there is a market for flipping them then there must be people collecting them. I' doubt you're going to get a collector to step forward and have a civil conversation about the product after your OP. Good luck...

sdoug76 01-13-2013 05:39 PM

I have no problem with them, but I don't get it either. Are they just random "hot" chicks or what? I have no clue who 99.9% of the "hits" are.

If I understood them, and Thier is money to be made, sign me up to rip and flip.

natbornkiller 01-13-2013 06:01 PM

a lot of the ladies are former playmates. some are from reality shows and some are wrestlers and actresses
and most of them are hot

Dacubs 01-13-2013 06:27 PM

In a nutshell...

1) The women are from various walks of life...reality shows, wrestling, playboy, etc
2) There is money to be made in these...I don't collect them persay but I do have a bunch of them, from busting various products over the last 3 years...when its a new product, it has a lot better return rate, but even on older stuff like 2011 vault, I was averaging about 75-110% back on on investment, and this is with me only buying boxes here and there, not cases...yes, you will get some bad boxes, but you usually come out a lot better than in any sports product
3) some girls are more sought after than others, just like in sports, so a auto #/5 of Jessica Burciaga is worth more than an auto #/5 of Tanea Brooks...just like Jeter auto is better than Ryan Theriot auto.

But to the OP's question, why do people collect cards with actors on them or baseball players on them??? same thing really...

not sure what you're using as your key words on ebay if you're getting benchwarmers though...

nera20 01-13-2013 06:36 PM

I love sports cards but with the products they make these days opening boxes is a good 90 percent chance you are going to lose more then 50 percent of your money. I have turned to just buying singles in sportscards because its alot easier to make money that way and alot less risker to loose money. So I decided to start buying this stuff to feed the nich of opening products and I am glad I did. I don't collect the stuff at all but I do rip a case or two a year and every time I make money. People collect alot of these girls. Its a fun product to rip, Hot Chicks, Nice looking Cards, On card autographs, nice looking swatches, and interesting concepts.

Overall I find that ripping the Benchwarmer products and other non sport products is alot more fun then sports cards. I only collect sports cards and love ripping open boxes but I stopped opening sports for the most part in the past 2 years or so because I find the non sport stuff alot more fun and profitable.

Not sure if this helps you at all but just trying to give you a few viewpoints here. Have a great day.

CollectorMan 01-13-2013 06:39 PM

Yeah I figured some ladies are more sought after then others. Not sure how you determine who is the Jeter equivalent in a BM set though. Hotness maybe...kinda silly if you ask me. I'm guessing being a playmate or WWE diva helps, though not sure why. I don't mean to be insulting to anyone who really likes this stuff, but I just don't get it. I once met a huge BM collector at a show, and he was kind of a perv. I doubt this is everyone, but it left me with a kind of negative view.

I just tend to do a trading card search and it's almost all benchwarmers on eBay. I end up just going more specific, when there's a bunch. Though you miss out on really good deals for a few non sports because of the thousand of these.

CollectorMan 01-13-2013 06:42 PM

Agreed Nera. Sports is totally out of control with it's quality. Non Sports is way more fun. Does BM really qualify as Non Sports though. Wouldn't it be closer to a adults only product like the Playboy Magazine/card collectors.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Ive been curious about this for a while.

spookowl1004 01-13-2013 06:43 PM

There apparently is a market for certain benchwarmer models, otherwise why do some autographs of some former playboy model (aka Sara Underwood) sell more than some really great basketball/baseball/football players. Why? I can't explain it, but as long as there is a market for benchwarmers, I'm going to continue breaking Benchwarmers and selling on ebay. Sports cards and nonsports cards are all about fame and popularity. Unless it's a set you're building, who cares about some no-name auto in like a James Bond or Heroes box break? Another example: Tim Tebow doesn't even play and can't play, yet his autos still go for good money.....fame and popularity drive the market.....

I know one guy on this forum collects a certain girl because he knows her personally. I PC one of the girls because I like the charity work she's doing for our community, and plus, she's hot. Most girls are just playboy models and there's nothing special about them except that they're hot.

This is all just my opinion. Hope this helps.

Dacubs 01-13-2013 06:53 PM

[QUOTE=CollectorMan;4020076]Agreed Nera. Sports is totally out of control with it's quality. Non Sports is way more fun. Does BM really qualify as Non Sports though. Wouldn't it be closer to a adults only product like the Playboy Magazine/card collectors.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Ive been curious about this for a while.[/QUOTE]

Definately closer to playboy than your typical non-sports (tv shows, movies, etc) but no nudity (although they come really, really close) so it doesn't need the adults only tag...

by definition though, Non-sports would encompass anything that is not sports related, so by a technicality, it would fit I suppose...

and I also agree, nonsports is more fun, thats why I liked the Americana series...although my favorites have been the "fans of the game" subsets as well as smallville

Dacubs 01-13-2013 06:54 PM

[QUOTE=CollectorMan;4020035]Yeah I figured some ladies are more sought after then others. Not sure how you determine who is the Jeter equivalent in a BM set though. Hotness maybe...kinda silly if you ask me. I'm guessing being a playmate or WWE diva helps, though not sure why. I don't mean to be insulting to anyone who really likes this stuff, but I just don't get it. I once met a huge BM collector at a show, and he was kind of a perv. I doubt this is everyone, but it left me with a kind of negative view.

I just tend to do a trading card search and it's almost all benchwarmers on eBay. I end up just going more specific, when there's a bunch. Though you miss out on really good deals for a few non sports because of the thousand of these.[/QUOTE]

I don;t think you're being insulting, just curious...

jeter equivalent would be sara underwood or mary riley, i suppose

duwal 01-14-2013 04:00 AM

[QUOTE=CollectorMan;4018789]Despite the obvious "They are good looking"..What is the appeal of these cards? I've never understood it. These ladies don't act, and if they do..it's usually in a skin flick. So why do people like these things? I know some people flip them, but do people actually PC these cards? Or is this strictly a monetary investment type product?

IMO these are basically soft core. It's irritating to search Non sports on Ebay or here, and have to go through a sea of them unsold. I'd love to here a Benchwamers collector/expert to explain these cards to me.[/QUOTE]

soft core? really?? and to your point probably about 8 or 9 out of 10 people that you ask on the street would say 'what is the appeal of collecting any trading cards?' Simple answer is it is enjoyable. It is absolutely rude to say that 'they don't act and if they do it is in a skin flick.' They are wrestlers, actresses, models, TV hosts, other non-slut occupations. People build a connection with them since they see them on TV or have met them in person just like everyone does for the player or teams they collect in sports.

CollectorMan 01-14-2013 11:42 AM

[QUOTE=duwal;4023577]soft core? really?? and to your point probably about 8 or 9 out of 10 people that you ask on the street would say 'what is the appeal of collecting any trading cards?' Simple answer is it is enjoyable. It is absolutely rude to say that 'they don't act and if they do it is in a skin flick.' They are wrestlers, actresses, models, TV hosts, other non-slut occupations. People build a connection with them since they see them on TV or have met them in person just like everyone does for the player or teams they collect in sports.[/QUOTE]

Well it is my opinion, and the reason I started the thread was to find out what the deal is. To say they are actresses though, that's a stretch. Not one has a role of any note, and I'd dare to say that any role is given based on looks and not talent. Is someone really going to argue that Kendra Wilkinson is a talented actress because she appeared in Scary Movie? Puhlease. :rolleyes:

I'd love to hear if any women collect these. That would surprise me.

I'm glad it's enjoyable for people who can connect. I just don't see a appeal

Igman7 01-14-2013 12:33 PM

Then the simple thing would be to ignore them. In the highly unlikely case that you are looking at all non-sport autos, you simply put -benchwarmer to avoid them.

aggie4ever 01-14-2013 12:43 PM

No, noone will argue that Kendra Wilkinson is a talented actress because she appeared in Scary Movie. But we would argue that she is a reality tv star and former playboy playmate, and based on her popularity from those, people will collect her autograph.

You collect movie/tv autos... which ones sell for the most? HOT WOMEN? Noone will argue that Megan Fox is a talented actress would they? But her autograph sells for big bucks. And while Angelina Jolie, Halle Berry, Jessica Alba, and Jennifer Garner are better actresses than Megan Fox, their autographs sell for big bucks because they are hot women, not because they are good actresses. That's not to say that great actors and actresses aren't popular and sell for good money. On Big Bang Theory, Jim Parsons has won awards and his autograph from Cryptozoic's product sells for big bucks. And yet Kaley Cuoco outsells him, wonder why that is?

CollectorMan 01-14-2013 01:36 PM

[QUOTE=Igman7;4024672]Then the simple thing would be to ignore them. In the highly unlikely case that you are looking at all non-sport autos, you simply put -benchwarmer to avoid them.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much bro!!!! Next time we deal, you get a discount.

CollectorMan 01-14-2013 01:50 PM

I agree with everything you said. I just don't like that stigma. I was shocked to see how much the Cuoco went for. To keep going on what you were saying the so called "hot" factor, Cate Blanchett is probably the most decorated actress with a available auto from a non sport product (LOTR) yet her auto goes for substantially less then someone like Megan Fox. Despite Fox having nowhere near the talent of Blanchett. IMO Cate is hot and amazing in just about everything. I guess to some, not so much. Guess the bottom line is, sex sells.

I appreciate the info from everyone. I always enjoy good debate.:)!

[QUOTE=aggie4ever;4024730]No, noone will argue that Kendra Wilkinson is a talented actress because she appeared in Scary Movie. But we would argue that she is a reality tv star and former playboy playmate, and based on her popularity from those, people will collect her autograph.

You collect movie/tv autos... which ones sell for the most? HOT WOMEN? Noone will argue that Megan Fox is a talented actress would they? But her autograph sells for big bucks. And while Angelina Jolie, Halle Berry, Jessica Alba, and Jennifer Garner are better actresses than Megan Fox, their autographs sell for big bucks because they are hot women, not because they are good actresses. That's not to say that great actors and actresses aren't popular and sell for good money. On Big Bang Theory, Jim Parsons has won awards and his autograph from Cryptozoic's product sells for big bucks. And yet Kaley Cuoco outsells him, wonder why that is?[/QUOTE]

XL5 01-14-2013 01:52 PM

[QUOTE]IMO these are basically soft core. It's irritating to search Non sports on Ebay or here, and have to go through a sea of them unsold. I'd love to here a Benchwamers collector/expert to explain these cards to me.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=CollectorMan;4020035]
I just tend to do a trading card search and it's almost all benchwarmers on eBay. I end up just going more specific, when there's a bunch. Though you miss out on really good deals for a few non sports because of the thousand of these.[/QUOTE]
That's a search problem on your end, not a Benchwarmer problem.

As for the rest of it, you're being intentionally obtuse. If you can't understand why someone would pay for a Benchwarmer auto (some semi-famous woman), you can't understand why someone would pay for an AFLAC auto (some semi-famous high school kid). I doubt that's the case.

If you don't like it, that's another thing. That's fine. Just come out and say it.

CollectorMan 01-14-2013 02:15 PM

[QUOTE=XL5;4025127]That's a search problem on your end, not a Benchwarmer problem.

As for the rest of it, you're being intentionally obtuse. If you can't understand why someone would pay for a Benchwarmer auto (some semi-famous woman), you can't understand why someone would pay for an AFLAC auto (some semi-famous high school kid). I doubt that's the case.

If you don't like it, that's another thing. That's fine. Just come out and say it.[/QUOTE]

LOL..:D I don't like it.

Dacubs 01-14-2013 02:20 PM

[QUOTE=Igman7;4024672]Then the simple thing would be to ignore them. In the highly unlikely case that you are looking at all non-sport autos, you simply put -benchwarmer to avoid them.[/QUOTE]

wow...does that really work for ebay searches??? -sort ??

XL5 01-14-2013 02:46 PM

[QUOTE=Dacubs;4025308]wow...does that really work for ebay searches??? -sort ??[/QUOTE]

Yes. For example, to get rid of hot packs: -(hot pack)

Dacubs 01-14-2013 02:49 PM

[QUOTE=XL5;4025479]Yes. For example, to get rid of hot packs: -(hot pack)[/QUOTE]

cool...learn something new everyday

Igman7 01-14-2013 04:47 PM

[QUOTE=CollectorMan;4025022]Thank you so much bro!!!! Next time we deal, you get a discount.[/QUOTE]

YAY!! A discount!:flex:

Oh wait, you were being facetious, weren't you.

monkeymcgee 01-14-2013 05:00 PM

Hmm... grown men interested in cards with hot women on them? :eek:

What I don't get are the Bronies...

Spider-Fan 01-14-2013 05:38 PM

[QUOTE=monkeymcgee;4026403]Hmm... grown men interested in cards with hot women on them? :eek:

What I don't get are the Bronies...[/QUOTE]

The Bronies? Is that a whole different kettle of fish?