Blowout Cards Forums
Baseball Card Singles

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How many different searches do you on ebay every day? And how to keep track of it?

I know you can sign up for 'saved searches' where you get emailed when a new listing is posted, but I don't want hundreds of emails for junk listings when I search for 'walking dead sketch,' therefore I manually search through them all.

Same thing with sketch cards in general. You have to search for broad terms like 'walking dead sketch' or 'marvel bronze age sketch' before you can narrow it down to artists/characters because of listings that are mislabeled/without the character's name/without the artist's name/etc.

I know I've missed a few awesome Batman listings this past week because I can't keep track of all the individual artists I want to search for (that and I was out of town and couldn't search as much as I normally would).

How many different searches do you do on a daily basis and how do you keep track of everything you are looking for? I do the majority of it by memory but, like I said above, expanding the searches to individual artists makes it impossible to remember it all.
t2554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have "walking dead season sketch" in my saved searches and use the notifications on the ebay android app. I haven't missed much in new listings of sketches for the walking dead with that phrase.

If I am looking for a certain card I search for it at least two different ways and add them to my saved searches. Throughout the day I check the app for newly listed items, if I don't have notifications set up.

The app is very helpful in my opinion. I don't receive e-mail through the app notifications either.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2554 View Post
I know you can sign up for 'saved searches' where you get emailed when a new listing is posted, but I don't want hundreds of emails for junk listings when I search for 'walking dead sketch,' therefore I manually search through them all.
You wouldn't get hundreds of emails, they send a daily summary email with all the new listings in it, so you would only have 1 email to sort through for each search.
alifaxwa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Just bookmark them. I have a folder called "searches" and I just cycle through those. Keep it as general as you can stand since cards get listed in all kinds of ways. There seems to be less standard info you can count on with non-sports than sports listings in my experience.

I have one character sketch I get email alerts on as well, but that's not exhaustive since many people don't put the subject of the sketch in the listing title (I have no idea why they don't).
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

I search for Marvel Sketch about 10 times a day, sorting for Newest Listings. I have it bookmarked.

sketchcardsaloon.com
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have 11 searches and my watch list in a bookmark folder that I right click and open all... a new browser window loads all 12 in tabs.
Nicnac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

I may just bookmark them all in a new folder. Thanks for all of your input.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'll search for certain characters I like and/or artists, I will check for misspelled names on some of those artists. Always search last names. There are a few sellers I will always check because they have decent prices so their stuff goes quickly, or other sellers who misspell names quite often. Auctions that are up that do not include an artists name(just search a set name then put card after), these are the ones you must look at closely as you may find a hidden gem. Just browse briefly over the pictures for quality, no need to zoom into auction. I usually won't bother looking for scarce artist for any given set as that doesn't determine a sketches' quality.

I'll then save to my watch list whatever catches my eye. I'll decide later whether to put an offer in or bid.

I do this the hard way, I neither use an app or save sellers to my favorite list. This is both lazy and inefficient.

I've missed out on quite a few great deals, which is probably worse then over paying a bit here and there.

My advice: you want good deals? you've got to be on your game and search ebay a couple times a day for new auctions.

Last edited by Ronin; 01-15-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

I do two things...

(1) For individual artists or sellers, I have a saved search with a daily email for any new listings (i.e., I get an email every day with any new Sara Richard cards that were listed)

(2) For broader and/or more transient stuff, like Marvel Bronze Age or 5finity Cherry for example, I just keep the searched pinned as an app tab in firefox (sorted by 'newly listed') and I just hit the search button when I get home from work and again before I go to bed. I scroll through everything that was listed since I last checked. There are only ALOT of new listing to scroll through in the beginning and then it becomes just a couple each time. The only time I ever miss something is if it sells really quickly (i.e., listed and sold between searches). This has happened with a couple of sketches - most notably this really awesome Marvel Premier Thor base sketch by Sara Richard Lucky guy who snagged that one
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I do two things...

(1) For individual artists or sellers, I have a saved search with a daily email for any new listings (i.e., I get an email every day with any new Sara Richard cards that were listed)

(2) For broader and/or more transient stuff, like Marvel Bronze Age or 5finity Cherry for example, I just keep the searched pinned as an app tab in firefox (sorted by 'newly listed') and I just hit the search button when I get home from work and again before I go to bed. I scroll through everything that was listed since I last checked. There are only ALOT of new listing to scroll through in the beginning and then it becomes just a couple each time. The only time I ever miss something is if it sells really quickly (i.e., listed and sold between searches). This has happened with a couple of sketches - most notably this really awesome Marvel Premier Thor base sketch by Sara Richard Lucky guy who snagged that one
Oops....

Old 01-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
I do two things...

That's the problem I had with a couple Batman sketches on BIN/BO - the BIN was hit before I ever even saw the listings.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2554 View Post
That's the problem I had with a couple Batman sketches on BIN/BO - the BIN was hit before I ever even saw the listings.
Unless you have nothing better to do than sit on eBay all day refreshing your favorite searches, you are going to miss a couple. Its rough for us on the east coast because a lot of sketches get listed at what is very late for us. For my very favorite searches, I always do a completed listing search too - you know, to make sure I didn't miss anything. Anyway... something always gets missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee
Oops....
Multiple choice response... Monkey gets to pick
(a) I knew there was a reason I picked that specific example
(b) Bested again by MonkeyMcgee!!!
(c) I do Marvel Premier completed listing searches just to see what Monkey's been buying
(d) Couldn't think of a better guy to lose a card to
Old 01-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Multiple choice response... Monkey gets to pick
(a) I knew there was a reason I picked that specific example
(b) Bested again by MonkeyMcgee!!!
(c) I do Marvel Premier completed listing searches just to see what Monkey's been buying
(d) Couldn't think of a better guy to lose a card to
We do need more icons over here. I was cracking up reading this. I vote for (b) because it would allow me to twirl my mustache menacingly Although I do appreciate (d) and I can promise you will be losing fewer cards to me in the future. I just added up my sketch purchases--yeesh!

One good thing about the iPhone eBay app (I'm not sure if the Android version is the same), but it caches your recent searches from the website on there. So if you're on the can or have a couple minutes, you can keep tabs on your main searches throughout the day.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
We do need more icons over here. I was cracking up reading this. I vote for (b) because it would allow me to twirl my mustache menacingly Although I do appreciate (d) and I can promise you will be losing fewer cards to me in the future. I just added up my sketch purchases--yeesh!
I've often felt that I could use an icon of a smiley trying to pry open a wallet with a crowbar Speaking of which... sometimes its a good thing when I don't get to buy a card!

Yeah, I started keep running totals for sets. I thought it would be good to have a limit for each set. I'm way under on Premier, but more than made up for it with my over spending on Cherry