Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 03:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What to buy non-sport?

I will be doing a show in a few weeks where there will be lots of kids. What are the hot products to have available to pack out. Magic? If so which ones. Yugioh, Other ideas?
paloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

What is the age range and what kind of show? Teens and younger, I would go with Yugioh and Pokemon, although I don't know much about them. I would go with Magic for 16+ and usually the newer sets are what you want. Return to Ravnica, Avacyn Restored, and Core Set 2013 are the newer ones. Packs are usually like $4 and you can find boxes (36 packs) around $100.
Main Wants: Rodgers 2012 5* MVP Auto, Fitz SPA RPA, Megatron NT RPA, AP NT RPA
MeetJSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeetJSquared View Post
What is the age range and what kind of show? Teens and younger, I would go with Yugioh and Pokemon, although I don't know much about them. I would go with Magic for 16+ and usually the newer sets are what you want. Return to Ravnica, Avacyn Restored, and Core Set 2013 are the newer ones. Packs are usually like $4 and you can find boxes (36 packs) around $100.
It is more like a street faire. Lots of families. All ages. I have plenty of sports items but want diversification. The core set for 2013 of Magic,is that amust have? Sells well? Boosters best way to go? Does Yugioh come that way too. Packs?
Old 01-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

my little pony, there a lot of Brony's out there
neon_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

For a street fair? I wouldn't any invest any money for a street fair - that's just my opinion. I don't think your return would justify the overhead you would supply. Now, if you are doing show's and these type of set-ups a lot - then maybe. But I see so many people sitting on old packs when I go to stuff like this.

If your target is young kids, say 5-12 - I would stay away from Magic and focus more on Pokemon and Yugioh (and more recent stuff (but it's not cheap).

If you are able to get toys at cost, I would look into getting some Blind Bags Displays: Lego Mini Figures, Star Wars Angry Birds, My Little Pony, Kre-O Transformers, Star Wars Fighter Pods Battle Figures, Littlest Pet Shop, Heroclix etc. I tripled my money on Ebay with the Star Wars Angry Birds (after fees). So they are great to have and cheaper than packs.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)

Last edited by Zerokruel; 01-17-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

My students play Beyblades A LOT.

sketchcardsaloon.com
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian Fike View Post
My students play Beyblades A LOT.
That's actually a great seller. I bought these as a Christmas present for my nephew - even I had fun playing with them.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloose View Post
It is more like a street faire. Lots of families. All ages. I have plenty of sports items but want diversification. The core set for 2013 of Magic,is that amust have? Sells well? Boosters best way to go? Does Yugioh come that way too. Packs?
I feel like a street faire would have more younger kids, therefore Yugioh and Pokemon may be the way to go. I'm not too familiar with either, but I think they have intro packs in addition to booster packs. I'm not sure what kind of turnout and success you get with your sports items, so it's hard to say what kind of items people want. I just find it hard to see kids or teens looking for packs at a street fair.

In my experience from hanging out at Card/Comic shops when I used to play MTG, a majority of the experienced players (in any of those three games) preferred singles, because most people knew exactly what cards they needed/wanted. It seems like packs are harder to sell; TCG/CCG players usually get boxes when sets come out and then go to singles after that. Packs are used more as prizes.

That being said, maybe pick up a box of the newest sets for Pokemon (Boundaries Crossed?) and Yugioh (Abyss Rising?). And as others have suggested, some of the hot toys may be better at getting your money's worth.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
For a street fair? I wouldn't any invest any money for a street fair - that's just my opinion. I don't think your return would justify the overhead you would supply. Now, if you are doing show's and these type of set-ups a lot - then maybe. But I see so many people sitting on old packs when I go to stuff like this.

If your target is young kids, say 5-12 - I would stay away from Magic and focus more on Pokemon and Yugioh (and more recent stuff (but it's not cheap).

If you are able to get toys at cost, I would look into getting some Blind Bags Displays: Lego Mini Figures, Star Wars Angry Birds, My Little Pony, Kre-O Transformers, Star Wars Fighter Pods Battle Figures, Littlest Pet Shop, Heroclix etc. I tripled my money on Ebay with the Star Wars Angry Birds (after fees). So they are great to have and cheaper than packs.
Thanks for the helpful suggestions.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Is it worth buying Magic Booster boxes and sitting on them for appreciation? Are there some out now that would be popular to do this with? Or even Yugioh? I see some of the older boxes of Magic at high prices?
Old 01-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloose View Post
Is it worth buying Magic Booster boxes and sitting on them for appreciation? Are there some out now that would be popular to do this with? Or even Yugioh? I see some of the older boxes of Magic at high prices?
For Magic, I feel like you would have to wait like 10 years. Unless you find some hot sets that have quite a few staples that are used in Legacy. But nowadays, you're lucky to find one or two new cards that can be mainstays in the older formats.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

I am getting an education. Thanks