Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sketch Collecting Pet Peeves

Time for a lively discussion and sharing pet peeves is always good for some knowing laughs.

Here are mine:

1. Sketch cards shipped without adequate protection. You can see my signature to see what that means to me, but I think a top-loader plus some kind of rigid protection against folding/bending (decoy or cardboard) should be the minimum. I've had $200+ cards thrown in a toploader without any additional protection or even tape on the toploader.

2. Related to #1 slightly are people shipping sketches in poorly-sized toploaders. I don't mind too big as long as steps are taken to keep the card in the holder (tape or a team bag), but if I have to struggle to get the card out or (as in a couple cases) cut the card out of the toploader it's too damn small!

2. Out of date artist lists provided by companies. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to decipher an artist's signature using the artist list to help you narrow down possibilities only to find the actual artist was never on the artist list.

3. Unsigned work. If the sketch is a total dog, I understand. But I have some pretty nice sketches with no signature. Why not sign your work?

4. Why can't card companies put an easy to read artist name on the back of the sketch cards? I know it's an added expense, but it would be nice from a collecting standpoint. And if we're talking "pie in the sky", putting the subject's name on the back would be awesome. I appreciate the artists who do that (Sara Richard comes to mind).

Okay--what do you have?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
4. Why can't card companies put an easy to read artist name on the back of the sketch cards? I know it's an added expense, but it would be nice from a collecting standpoint. And if we're talking "pie in the sky", putting the subject's name on the back would be awesome. I appreciate the artists who do that (Sara Richard comes to mind).
I know one issue the companies deal with is artists who don't complete their obligation. If an artist doesn't complete any or all of their sketch cards, what is the company going to do with a bunch of blank cards with a specific artist's name on it?

I do like what UD did on Marvel Premier with printing the character names on the cards.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

I get really peeved at all the crappy fake Marvel sketches on ebay by terrible artists who think someone is going to buy their horrible doodles just because they are superheroes on cardstock. Every time I do a search I have to dredge through a bunch of embarassing garbage. I can't understand why they would ever show that stuff in public, let alone try to sell it.

sketchcardsaloon.com
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mine is on perfect display right now. Just search poison ivy batman sketch and look at all the $100/$150/$200 BIN's. If most of these were let go at auction, they'd pull half that if they were lucky. I already just lined up an AP instead. If I have to shell out that kind of cash just because it's a female character, I'm just going to get what I want. It's the same in cards. Somebody has a Brett Favre jsy/auto listed that I need for a set. 2 have sold for $100 less than his BIN of $350. I offered $250, the highest that the others sold for. He counters with $325. ... and there it has sat for 8+ months, unsold... ugh.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Time for a lively discussion and sharing pet peeves is always good for some knowing laughs.

Here are mine:

1. Sketch cards shipped without adequate protection. You can see my signature to see what that means to me, but I think a top-loader plus some kind of rigid protection against folding/bending (decoy or cardboard) should be the minimum. I've had $200+ cards thrown in a toploader without any additional protection or even tape on the toploader.
Ahhhhh.... shipping... I don't quite know what the peanut is for, but I'd say that a top-loader in a team bag is an absolute minimum for shipping singles. And if I'm paying over $10, I expect some additional cardboard on the outside to further protect against bending, and would like a bubble envelope too. Especially if you are charging me $3.50 for S/H when the actual shipping only cost $1.64.

As for tape over the top-loader... I HATE THAT!!! Please do not put adhesive tape anywhere that might touch my card, thank you. If you sell regularly, spring for some team bags. A pack of 100 cost like $3. Or tape a soft sleeve over the opening. Terrific... just don't put my card in a position to get adhesive on it.

Quote:
2. Related to #1 slightly are people shipping sketches in poorly-sized toploaders. I don't mind too big as long as steps are taken to keep the card in the holder (tape or a team bag), but if I have to struggle to get the card out or (as in a couple cases) cut the card out of the toploader it's too damn small!
That has only happened to me with Marvel Premier. Idiots! They were clearly not 20 pt cards! The card, in a soft sleeve, should slide easily in and out of the top-loader!!!

Quote:
3. Out of date artist lists provided by companies. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to decipher an artist's signature using the artist list to help you narrow down possibilities only to find the actual artist was never on the artist list.
Out of date artists lists... no artist list at all. I appreciate very much that 5finity sends out an artist list with numbers! Yay! Set the standard. As usual, Upper Deck is the worst in this category.

Quote:
4. Unsigned work. If the sketch is a total dog, I understand. But I have some pretty nice sketches with no signature. Why not sign your work?
I like when an artist writes their name on the back of the card (thanks Sara). 5finity puts a spot on the back for the artist to write their name... not everybody uses it but most do. I don't think it would be too much to ask the artists to quickly write their names on the back before they get started (as I imagine its easy to forget when you are done). Putting a spot back there is the first step!

Quote:
I'm kinda in agreement with Ted on this one. Definitely an added expense and probably logistical problem for the companies. However, telling the artists to write their names on the back if they want to get paid shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience

Quote:
Okay--what do you have?
I have some pet peeves of my own...

1. Terminology used for non-licensed sketch cards. ATC, PSC, ACEO - these things seem to be used interchangeably! Can we vote on it right here? Use PSC if it is the original piece of artwork done by hand. Use ATC (artist trading card) if it is digital or a duplication of any kind. Scrap the word ACEO. Its such a silly acronym anyway!

2. Costume accuracy. How do these inaccurate costumes get approved by these companies to be inserted into packs!?!

3. PM me for commission prices. Okay, I get it that different levels of work will require different prices, and that prices change over time. But my time is valuable just like yours. If you are going to post "I have AP cards available for commission" is it too much for you to add "Commissions start at $XX for a single character bust with simple background" or something like that? I just want to know if you are in my ballpark! Most of the time I send a PM and get a response without having provided any detail for what I wanted - therefore why not just post the price up front? If the price is more than I'm willing to pay, you wasted both of our time. Plus, now I feel like I've offended you by contacting you for a price but not moving forward with the commission. (Jason I swear you are on my list, but I've got 10 outstanding commissions right now, and I don't mean that they are really really good!)

4. Dealers, PM me an offer. C'mon... you know how much you are looking to get. If you don't, just put all your cards up for auction at $0.99 start and see what happens! Then, you truly will be taking the second best offer Of course you are not going to do that, so put out a starting point for negotiation. Again, no need for either of us to waste our time. If you want $60 for a card, and its only worth $25 to me... I won't waste your time I promise.

There must be more... I'm pretty grouchy, generally speaking.
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28 View Post
Mine is on perfect display right now. Just search poison ivy batman sketch and look at all the $100/$150/$200 BIN's. If most of these were let go at auction, they'd pull half that if they were lucky. I already just lined up an AP instead. If I have to shell out that kind of cash just because it's a female character, I'm just going to get what I want. It's the same in cards. Somebody has a Brett Favre jsy/auto listed that I need for a set. 2 have sold for $100 less than his BIN of $350. I offered $250, the highest that the others sold for. He counters with $325. ... and there it has sat for 8+ months, unsold... ugh.
Spot on assessment. Just keep an eye on them though. Usually after they are listed 2, 3, 4 times they are re-listed as 99 cent auctions just so the seller can unload them.

I am looking for Batman Beyond sketches for example. A lot of the ones I've found are unreasonably priced. I kept looking and was able to buy 4 of them in the $20-30 range. A Glebe went for $150, I'm not going to spend $60-100+ on a nice (but not amazing) Batman Beyond sketch.
t2554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Good stuff, guys

Spider-Fan: The tape debate is a great staple of the Blowout Forum. I've seen too many cases where a card in a toploader and a team bag still gets a little out of the toploader to go with the "no tape" position. Use painter's tape and it's solves the problem--and doesn't stick to the card.

Also, the packing peanut is to get your bubble mailer to the required 3/4" width for non-machined mail. This has 2 purposes:

1. It greatly reduces the chances that the package will be bent during sorting

2. In the cases of stickler USPS outposts, it keeps your buyer from getting stuck with having to pay the postage difference for Priority Mail. First Class mail with Delivery Confirmation is supposed to be at least 3/4" thick. If it's not, USPS technically can bump that up the next level of service that allows for less than 3/4" thick mail to have tracking--which is Priority. This results in a $3-4 bill for the buyer on delivery. Obviously, that's a very bad thing to have happen as a seller.

#2 is pretty unlikely, but it does happen. I've had more than one buyer warn me that their Post Office will charge extra if it's not 3/4" thick.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Sellers listing BIN or OBO, send an offer $10-$15 less then BIN and don't even get a counter back. Has happened a ton on the Batman sketches. Listed $79.99 BIN/OBO I send an offer of $69.99 and get no counter. Makes no sense, why bother to list it OBO if we are $10 apart and you won't even counter it.
sdoug76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoug76 View Post
Sellers listing BIN or OBO, send an offer $10-$15 less then BIN and don't even get a counter back. Has happened a ton on the Batman sketches. Listed $79.99 BIN/OBO I send an offer of $69.99 and get no counter. Makes no sense, why bother to list it OBO if we are $10 apart and you won't even counter it.
I can top that--I had one seller autodecline me when I offered $15 on a $19.95 BIN/BO!
aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian Fike View Post
I get really peeved at all the crappy fake Marvel sketches on ebay by terrible artists who think someone is going to buy their horrible doodles just because they are superheroes on cardstock. Every time I do a search I have to dredge through a bunch of embarassing garbage. I can't understand why they would ever show that stuff in public, let alone try to sell it.
Actually I pick up a few of these for fun. And, no matter how bad they are, the art is better than what I could do. Even my stick figures look like refugees from Chernobyl.

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Good stuff, guys

Spider-Fan: The tape debate is a great staple of the Blowout Forum. I've seen too many cases where a card in a toploader and a team bag still gets a little out of the toploader to go with the "no tape" position. Use painter's tape and it's solves the problem--and doesn't stick to the card.

Also, the packing peanut is to get your bubble mailer to the required 3/4" width for non-machined mail. This has 2 purposes:
I'll give you the peanut. My bubble mailers with 2 pieces of cardboard and a top-loader inside generally make 3/4" but I mostly ship in boxes anyway If I take bubble envelopes from work, its stealing - but I get tons of empty boxes that are about the perfect size (7.5"x5.5"x2.5") and would otherwise be garbage.

I still refuse to give in on the tape though! I don't want the adhesive from painters tape touching my card either. I don't care about the residue on the top-loader. Put some tissue paper or something between that tape and the opening is all I'm asking for. Some guys put the soft sleeve closed side up - I'm cool with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoug76
There is a peeve I left out. If you are going to OBO then respond. Even if you don't think my offer is serious, RESPOND!!! Don't just let my offer expire.

Additional peeve - I'm pretty annoyed that eBay no longer shows the best offer price accepted. It was a useful tool for buyers. Guess it hurt sellers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian Fike
You've heard "one man's garbage is another man's treasure" or whatever? Art is a personal thing. I'm not buying anything from this guy, but somebody else might thing they are getting a great deal. And its certainly better than I can do.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
There is a peeve I left out. If you are going to OBO then respond. Even if you don't think my offer is serious, RESPOND!!! Don't just let my offer expire.
If someone wastes my time with a ridiculous offer, as a seller I can still use that to my advantage by leaving the offer pending. Then another buyer might see that and give me a better offer because there's one pending. Or better yet, they may hit the BIN.

I respond to serious offers--I either counter or decline and usually I'll give an explanation as to why I'm declining if I do that.

But if you are going to waste my time with an offer you know I'd never take, I'm not going to play a game with you.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
If someone wastes my time with a ridiculous offer, as a seller I can still use that to my advantage by leaving the offer pending. Then another buyer might see that and give me a better offer because there's one pending. Or better yet, they may hit the BIN.

I respond to serious offers--I either counter or decline and usually I'll give an explanation as to why I'm declining if I do that.

But if you are going to waste my time with an offer you know I'd never take, I'm not going to play a game with you.
The problem is that you (the seller) and me (the buyer) may have different definitions of what a serious offer is. If you list something for $60, you might think anything under $50 isn't serious, but many sellers list at double what they would accept. So leave my offer pending for 47 hours and then decline it with a comment or a counter. Whatever... I'm not offended. But a complete lack of response to what I thought was a serious offer is offensive. If you don't communicate, how do I know what your feelings are about my offer? Maybe you went away for the weekend and the offer expired by the time you got back? I don't know. Should I just resubmit it? I guess if you thought the offer was a joke, sending it again would just get you all hot and bothered. Easily avoided by a simple response.

I generally don't do an offer for less than 2/3 the asking price UNLESS the list price is way over what similar sketches have been selling for.

Take this Namisato listing for example. This was originally listed at $90. I like Namisato's stuff a lot, but I've picked up 3 FP2 sketches for $15 or less. I didn't bother putting in an offer even though it would have been serious. Even at the current list price of $65, I wouldn't give an offer for what I think is a reasonable price for that card because it would be less than $40. But if I was to put in an offer, I would expect a response of some sort.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
The problem is that you (the seller) and me (the buyer) may have different definitions of what a serious offer is. If you list something for $60, you might think anything under $50 isn't serious, but many sellers list at double what they would accept. So leave my offer pending for 47 hours and then decline it with a comment or a counter. Whatever... I'm not offended. But a complete lack of response to what I thought was a serious offer is offensive. If you don't communicate, how do I know what your feelings are about my offer? Maybe you went away for the weekend and the offer expired by the time you got back? I don't know. Should I just resubmit it? I guess if you thought the offer was a joke, sending it again would just get you all hot and bothered. Easily avoided by a simple response.

I generally don't do an offer for less than 2/3 the asking price UNLESS the list price is way over what similar sketches have been selling for.

Take this Namisato listing for example. This was originally listed at $90. I like Namisato's stuff a lot, but I've picked up 3 FP2 sketches for $15 or less. I didn't bother putting in an offer even though it would have been serious. Even at the current list price of $65, I wouldn't give an offer for what I think is a reasonable price for that card because it would be less than $40. But if I was to put in an offer, I would expect a response of some sort.
I see nothing wrong with your examples. And I've certainly done a low % of the BIN offer before because the going rate was what I was offering. I always mention that in my comments.

I'm referring to situations like this: for one of my Charles Hall PSC listings, someone has offered $9.99 for it. There is no way that could be considered a serious offer.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

Well as a seller shipping has always been an issue. It's a card so paying a lot to ship it is an issue. I bought some small boxes from Uline that I put together. In goes the card and with some peanuts. I use blue painters tape to seal the toploader as I also use the blue tape to tape together Puzzles and they don't damage the cards at all. I sign all my cards th da i ship my cards back to the company. Breygent has a place on the backs for sigs. I sign mine last to insure the get signed. and in places where they don't get into the artwork. Shipping material per box I make comes to about 1.50 to 2.00. I usually don't ask for that cost back because I know that it's my choice. My Prices for AP's is based on double what my regular cards sell for. My average for pulled cards is about 75 so my AP cost is 125.0 to 200. The 200 price range is for the Rittenhouse uncut AP's mainly and thats for a painting or multiple characters. Smaller companies I charge 100 and under depending on property. my PSC's i ask 25 but I rarely do thos so when I do make my own stuff I sell em for 5 to 10 bucks each.

Last edited by justice41; 01-21-2013 at 03:10 PM.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with your examples. And I've certainly done a low % of the BIN offer before because the going rate was what I was offering. I always mention that in my comments.

I'm referring to situations like this: for one of my Charles Hall PSC listings, someone has offered $9.99 for it. There is no way that could be considered a serious offer.
Ha! And I would agree that offer is laughable. But I've had many of what I thought to be a reasonable offer with no response. And it peeves me. If the seller didn't think it was reasonable, I would have happily accepted that as a response.

Although - per the strategy you suggested, maybe I should stop setting the auto-reject for 1/2 my asking price on BIN/BO auctions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41
Well as a seller shipping has always been an issue. It's a card so paying a lot to ship it is an issue. I bought some small boxes from Uline that I put together. In goes the card and with some peanuts. I use blue painters tape to seal the toploader as I also use the blue tape to tape together Puzzles and they don't damage the cards at all. I sign all my cards th da i ship my cards back to the company. Breygent has a place on the backs for sigs. I sign mine last to insure the get signed. and in places where they don't get into the artwork. Shipping material per box I make comes to about 1.50 to 2.00. I usually don't ask for that cost back because I know that it's my choice. My Prices for AP's is based on double what my regular cards sell for. My average for pulled cards is about 75 so my AP cost is 125.0 to 200. The 200 price range is for the Rittenhouse uncut AP's mainly and thats for a painting or multiple characters. Smaller companies I charge 100 and under depending on property. my PSC's i ask 25 but I rarely do thos so when I do make my own stuff I sell em for 5 to 10 bucks each.
When it comes to shipping prices... for me it depends a lot on what you are buying. Unfortunately for eBay, you pretty much have to ship with tracking to protect yourself which is annoying. If I buy one or two base cards for $1 or less each that I need to complete my set, I don't want to pay $3.50 each for shipping. If I paid $150 for that sweet Catwoman AP you did, I'd be fine paying $5 for S/H if it meant it would be packed in the manner that it arrives in the same condition it was sent

I picked up an UD MB3 card for $16 at auction the other day. I liked it and inquired about an AP - $125. This guy was new and MB3 was his first set. UD APs are standard size cards. I told him I'd wait until he had a couple more sets under his belt. If his stuff was regularly selling for $60+, I'd have considered it.

I (personal opinion here) think your AP prices are on the ball. For RA cards - the surface is more than double a standard card. If you are going to do the entire surface at the same scale you would do a normal card... price accordingly. If you are going to change your scale but incorporate significantly more detail... price accordingly. I'd expect to pay double unless you are just doing a larger scale with no added detail. Detail is certainly not lacking in your sketches

As a general rule, I don't buy pack cards for more than $50. If anybody is looking to outbid me, just go $51. Anything over $50 is strictly direct sale to the artist. I often buy APs from 'non-Marvel' sets, because there is a premium put on a Marvel set APs even though the artists do just as great a job on other licenses. I don't fault the artists - the demand is higher so of course they can charge more. Just good business practice. Most (not all) of my Marvel commissions are PSCs. If you're ever open for PSC commissions, let me know
Old 01-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Agreed as buyer I have no idea if the BIN is 60% higher then what the seller is looking to get, or only 5%. So I always start low so I can work up.

Perfect example last week a sketch with a $99.99 BIN, I would have went up to mid $60 range on it. But my first offer was $40 and he took it. Needless to say I am happy I didn't go $65 out of the gate.

Now $9.99 on a Hall is in fact absurd!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

Well my next two AP's from DC 52 and Batman will be up today possibly and They'll go sightly higher than what the CW went for because it has two or more characters and lots of details I nearly went blind drawing in. Whether anyone bids will be up to them The last 4 Batman AP's will be full paintings and no inks, Gotta show the Glebe twins how to do details at that scale in paint.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
Well my next two AP's from DC 52 and Batman will be up today possibly and They'll go sightly higher than what the CW went for because it has two or more characters and lots of details I nearly went blind drawing in. Whether anyone bids will be up to them The last 4 Batman AP's will be full paintings and no inks, Gotta show the Glebe twins how to do details at that scale in paint.
Nice--can't wait to see them!
Old 01-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
Will keep an eye out for the listing!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:07 AM   #21 (permalink)

I'm going to revive this one to say I'm getting tired of some of the eBay keyword spamming going on with sketch cards. If the sketch is not from a certain product, why waste people's time by putting that product name in your title.

I'm not going to call out anyone specifically for this yet because it hasn't gotten too ridiculous, but it is annoying.

On the Waaambulance scale, it'a 4 out of 10.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:22 AM   #22 (permalink)

I agree. Keyword spamming is against the rules and I report the ones that are pretty damn blatant about it and it doesnt seem like ebay cares as long as they get their cut of the action.

Crap for trade-
https://picasaweb.google.com/103658828018382987910
NonSportsCardForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:33 AM   #23 (permalink)

I call it sidling. If anyone remembers Jerry Seinfeld there was an ep where Elaine had this guy who would just sidle up to her every-time she got compliments and he'd get part of her compliment even though he did nothing. So the ebayers are sidling up to the better, well known sets to help sell their crap. I've seen a few and the artwork is usually at the level of my kids drawings.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #24 (permalink)

i certainly agree that it is annoying much of the time, but its also turned me on to some sketches i wouldn't otherwise have seen. i see and understand why they do it - include the name of newer currently searched sets or popular artists to draw more views to your item.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #25 (permalink)

My latest pet peeve (and it's pretty minor) is that someone decided to put 'space' at the end of the auction title of all their Viceroy Cryptid cards ... so now my alert makes me page through Cryptid sketches as well *sigh* While you're at it, why not put 'X-Files' in the title as well?
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote