Blowout Cards Forums
2014 holiday shipping promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hot Wheels collectors, need some input please.

Long story short, we are expecting our second child so my man room is going in boxes and the attic for a couple years. If I pack all my hot wheels and other similar items it well take several boxes and probably most of the space I have available. However if I open them and wrap them in say a paper towel I can probably get almost everything in a box or two. I know this will cause them to loose value but just how much? If we are talking selling them in 15 or 20 years from now. Are we talking selling them in package for $10 and out of package for $5 or would it be more like $10 and $2. I know it's hard to predict how this will go, but any ball park ideas from someone who deals with these more than I do would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Also for anyone who has had to pack there collection of items away for a long period of time. Did you take photos or scan all your card for insurance purposes in case something were to happen. I'm thinking of doing this for the sake of insurance, but also because these items are probably going to be stored for a LONG period of time.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

If you have any key items opening them up could mean the difference of hundreds of dollars. However if they are more normal "rare" cars then a $10 car would probably decrease to around $6
maculay75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Worth nearly nothing if not mint on card.

Just do a quick eBay completed search of MOC vs loose hot wheels for the moden stuff.
sdoug76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntryislandboy View Post
Long story short, we are expecting our second child so my man room is going in boxes and the attic for a couple years. If I pack all my hot wheels and other similar items it well take several boxes and probably most of the space I have available. However if I open them and wrap them in say a paper towel I can probably get almost everything in a box or two. I know this will cause them to loose value but just how much? If we are talking selling them in 15 or 20 years from now. Are we talking selling them in package for $10 and out of package for $5 or would it be more like $10 and $2. I know it's hard to predict how this will go, but any ball park ideas from someone who deals with these more than I do would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Also for anyone who has had to pack there collection of items away for a long period of time. Did you take photos or scan all your card for insurance purposes in case something were to happen. I'm thinking of doing this for the sake of insurance, but also because these items are probably going to be stored for a LONG period of time.
I just bought a rather large Hot Wheels collection last month, however I had it sold before I ever took possession.

I really don't know what you have, but unless it's vintage - I would just part it out or try to find a dealer who is interested in taking the collection. I would find a better use for the money and space.

The collection I purchased in December was originally offered to me about 3 years ago. I would have payed close to $2,800 (he wanted $4k) three years ago. However, I only gave the guy $1,300 (he wanted $2k) for the collection in December. It was interesting to see that his collection had depreciated that much over time. Now the high end pieces have stayed around the same price because they are rare - but those common treasure hunts and $15-20 cars have all come down. A lot of people have completed sets of the years and demand isn't where it use to be.

I have watched a few 2,3 and 4 car box sets rise up (Air Stream, Hemmings Motor News etc.) - but not sure it there is really room for those to keep going up.

I can't help you on your insurance question, I think you need to talking to whoever you go through. Most companies have different requirements - but I don't think they will cover faulty packaging. If you plan on putting these away for a awhile, there is a lot to think about. How much weight are you putting in a box (anything getting crushed). The weather the cars will be in - because they could stick to one another.

Oh, and whatever you do - don't take them out of the blisters.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Why not try and sell your Hot Wheels and use the money for something else.Opening these would not be a good idea.My 1 buddy has a closet full of Hot Wheels and he has them in totes.
refuse24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys for the info.What I have I've gotten in the last couple years and it's mostly stuff I like (minis, camaros, jeeps, and subarus). So with this in mind my guess is that they are going to be so mass produced that they probably won't be worth much. So I might just try to dump most of them and keep the ones I find special for my personal collection.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

If your Hot Wheels have red lines on the wheels, they could be worth quite a bit.
sthoemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Just take the extra room. Build a sheed and put the other attic stuff in there.
ttmtrader101 is offline   Reply With Quote