Blowout Cards Forums
ebay event 8.25.14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone else pre-ordering Marvel Greatest Battles?

I know most releases aren't worth pre-ordering, especially rittenhouse, where they tend to devaluate quite fast, but I hear this set will have a limited print run of only 3000 boxes I pre-ordered 2 cases recently and I'm just wondering if anyone else will be picking up this product. I'm not sure if they've put out a full list of artists yet.

Correction: Supposedly 6000 boxes, not 3000. Still considered Limited Edition I guess.

Last edited by Ronin; 01-22-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Not a chance. Like everything else from them, you would likely be better off buying later.
Igman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

^ Same as above. Somehow, they'll find a way to make this product a dog just like everything else.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tim

Stay far far far away from Rittenhouse
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think it will be interesting to see some breaks of this, and I will probably get a box. But I don't think it's necessary to pre-order this far in advance, I don't see it going up in price. What I would like to buy is a sealed 6 case incentive though.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hmm, 3000 IS low, that's 250 cases. I don't think I've ever seen one of RA's Marvel or DC sketch based sets under 6500 boxes before.

There really is too much Marvel product out there now with both RA and UD putting out multiple sets every year, not to mention the movie based sets which also have sketches, even cutting production in half for a set might not help much, but I guess it'll depend on how good the set is.
Incarnadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think Iggy & Tim are nuts, I'm buying 100 cases.
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I know most releases aren't worth pre-ordering, especially rittenhouse, where they tend to devaluate quite fast, but I hear this set will have a limited print run of only 3000 boxes. I pre-ordered 2 cases recently and I'm just wondering if anyone else will be picking up this product. I'm not sure if they've put out a full list of artists yet.
I read 5000.... not worth retracing my steps to product a reference.

I'm kinda peeved about this set. First off - a lot of the 'premier' artists (a lot, NOT ALL) did less than their regular standard of work on Bronze Age and Crypto's Batman. Second, this onslaught of 2-panel sketches is going to murder the value of 2-panel sketches we currently have in our collections. Yet, the artists will not be able to charge significantly more for their APs, because the uncut stock is only slightly bigger (I assume they will get the same puzzle stock they got for the pack cards to use for APs).

Maybe RA was trying to do something to invigorate the sketch card hobby, but I'm pretty sure the long term damage will be severe.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I just checked my email, yeah I was wrong. The guy I spoke with said 6000 boxes. Ouch, I pre-ordered thinking 3000. Not sure why I was thinking 3000. Doh, kinda late now.

Yeah I thought maybe this release might be better than the usual Rittenhouse release. Like perhaps they have been listening to feedback from their consumers. *shrugs
Old 01-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Obviously I was kidding. Ritten's good for collectors, just not resellers. I bought singles of True Blood & GOT, because I love the shows. They just water down their product. I spoke with a guy who really does break 100 cases of their products. I wouldnt' mind doing that at somepoint in the far future, if I could squeek 10% and have fun doing it. But that's a lot of work!! lol.
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post

I'm kinda peeved about this set. First off - a lot of the 'premier' artists (a lot, NOT ALL) did less than their regular standard of work on Bronze Age and Crypto's Batman. Second, this onslaught of 2-panel sketches is going to murder the value of 2-panel sketches we currently have in our collections. Yet, the artists will not be able to charge significantly more for their APs, because the uncut stock is only slightly bigger (I assume they will get the same puzzle stock they got for the pack cards to use for APs).

Maybe RA was trying to do something to invigorate the sketch card hobby, but I'm pretty sure the long term damage will be severe.
The idea behind the double card is so we artists didn't have to destroy the cards cutting them ourselves to make puzzles. The cards will be cut down by RA. I'm working on my stack of cards right now. doing colors.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
The idea behind the double card is so we artists didn't have to destroy the cards cutting them ourselves to make puzzles. The cards will be cut down by RA. I'm working on my stack of cards right now. doing colors.
And what I saw a while back looked great But it used to be awesome to hit a 2-panel puzzle. Now there are going to be 6000 (or whatever) and half of those are going to hit the market over a three day period. I'm not saying that I'm not going to buy any... just that its going to significantly impact the value of a 'standard' 2-panel puzzle.

Out of curiosity... the pack count hasn't dropped in half, but you guys are doing a double size sketch (and I assume 2 character minimum + background) for each card. Did they put out anything extra for you guys (higher price/card, more APs, anything...)? And do you know if the APs will in fact be the same stock that you are using for the pack cards? And if so - what does it measure? I'm assuming still 5" tall and just an extra 2.5" wide, so 5" x 6.5"?
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

I believe we get the uncut cards for AP's but not sure should read the contract. The uncut is 5"x6.5"
Old 01-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Understand, the cards were always going to be cut so it was a convenience for the artists that they sent us uncut cards. So it's not anything special just less hassle cutting and taping the cards together then having to deal with the edge of the joint.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

Marvel Greatest Battles Trading Cards - Rittenhouse Archives
Old 01-24-2013, 12:37 AM   #16 (permalink)

$120 a box???
Yikes!
Sushiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:57 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushiyoshi View Post
$120 a box???
Yikes!
That's just suggested retail price.

Most of their products are $80 SRP but realistically those boxes sell between $50 and $60.

Pro rated that would put these at $70-$90, depending on how they are received.
Incarnadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incarnadine View Post
That's just suggested retail price.

Most of their products are $80 SRP but realistically those boxes sell between $50 and $60.

Pro rated that would put these at $70-$90, depending on how they are received.
Yeah, bronze age sells for like $20 under suggested retail price, give or take a few dollars.

I think marvel greatest battles may sell closer to $100 per box. Guess we'll see.