Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/27/14 SM

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #351 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish73 View Post
Let me add to some of the positive remarks. I always search on ebay for some of the sets I may be interested in collecting and came across this sketch a while back

DC Comics New 52 Amber Shelton Sketch Card | eBay

In my opinion Cryptozoic really messed up by having such a large part of the front of the card covered by that bar. Most of the artists either colored over it or stopped at it. You actually made it part of the sketch by having her straddle the bar. That was a very nice touch and required some additional insight that a lot of the other artists missed on. Take a negative and make it a positive. Good job!
Thank you! Honestly, I'm not known for thinking very far outside the box so I was surprised no one else that I've seen played much with the bar. Admittedly, I was added to the set late as a replacement artist and we already had permission to color over it, but even so... I actually had a LOT of fun figuring out the different things I could do to the bar - leave it, delete it, use it, extend it, incorporate it.

Sorry, guys, I didn't mean to hijack your thread
ashelton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #352 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelton View Post
Don't worry about it, Amber. You've taken it in a much more positive direction than where it was going, so you have my thanks for that.

[Inactive]
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #353 (permalink)

Always cover the bar. And logos. Always.
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #354 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelton View Post
Thank you! Honestly, I'm not known for thinking very far outside the box so I was surprised no one else that I've seen played much with the bar. Admittedly, I was added to the set late as a replacement artist and we already had permission to color over it, but even so... I actually had a LOT of fun figuring out the different things I could do to the bar - leave it, delete it, use it, extend it, incorporate it.

One last thing is that I would be happy to pull one of your sketches in our Batman group break we are currently filling. (plug, plug, plug)
Old 02-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #355 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish73 View Post
One last thing is that I would be happy to pull one of your sketches in our Batman group break we are currently filling. (plug, plug, plug)
link please
APR 17: 3 pending deals | NO PP GIFTING, BE WARY OF LOW ITRADERS
ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #356 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksam View Post
link please
Here's the link, looks like big fun:

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/t...hit-style.html

Good luck to all!!!

sketchcardsaloon.com
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #357 (permalink)

@rian - thank u .. that's how i came across houdini's walking dead group breaks .. someone mentioned it in passing and had no idea - those grp breaks are fun

ok back to the discussion ..
that OP erased card did not sell on ebay

@ashelton - that ebay linked sketch is neat - have to look up how else that bar was incorporated into the art
APR 17: 3 pending deals | NO PP GIFTING, BE WARY OF LOW ITRADERS
ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #358 (permalink)

Quote:
@rian - thank u .. that's how i came across houdini's walking dead group breaks .. someone mentioned it in passing and had no idea - those grp breaks are fun

@ashelton - that ebay linked sketch is neat - have to look up how else that bar was incorporated into the art
I don't understand this forum. If I make an effort to establish the root cause of where the disagreements lie -- like whether or not destruction of art is universally morally wrong -- then I'm called out for "arguing semantics" or bickering or badgering? But the past ~5 comments about a group case break are okay?

Quote:
ok back to the discussion ..
that OP erased card did not sell on ebay
Of course it has been relisted.
eldavojohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #359 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavojohn View Post
I don't understand this forum. If I make an effort to establish the root cause of where the disagreements lie -- like whether or not destruction of art is universally morally wrong -- then I'm called out for "arguing semantics" or bickering or badgering? But the past ~5 comments about a group case break are okay?
It's just standard forum stuff at work. People will be dismissive when they disagree with you. Personally, I didn't find your sub-discussion any less relevant than some of the others that were going on. My general hope was just that we could let this thread die, but I gave up on that happening awhile ago

I've been told previously not to post things that weren't important or necessary, which given who told me that I find highly ironic. In any case, I didn't let that stop me. Just ignore the detractors and carry on.

[Inactive]
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #360 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lak Lim View Post
Personally, I don't think the exposure has that big of an impact at comic conventions unless you were at a card show, where people actually know about the hobby. The majority of comic book con goers still have no idea. I rarely sell sketch cards at a comic convention. If I sell 2, its a VERY good day lol But I at least try to educate people about them whenever they stop by my table. Hopefully I was able to plant a seed for a future collector. Most of them think the cards are prints until I point out that they're actual drawings. So for me, at least, there isn't really much of an more of an opportunity created by sketch cards at the cons I've been to ( Probably because I've never had a table at a card show) As an example, below are the things I bring to a comic convention, before and after having done official sketch card work. And what is usually the result of my total sales.

I realize that I am the exception that proves the rule here, but I go to comic book conventions just to buy sketch cards. I also collect sketch covers, but that came after sketch cards - and my selection is usually based on price. If I see work I like and the cost of a sketch cover commission is only twice as much as a sketch card, I go with the cover every time... what a deal!

As for card shows... well, I've only been to one - Philly Non-Sports this past October. I was pretty disappointed overall and wish I passed on the show and spent all my money at NYCC one week prior. There were a couple of talented artists there doing sketch cards, but it was Mars Attacks focused and I didn't collect that set. Besides that, most of the show was dealers that were way overpriced compared to eBay. I'll go back in May though The artist line-up is just nuts!

I don't buy prints
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote