Blowout Cards Forums
Sean Bassik

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #26 (permalink)

You honestly think Pawn Stars isn't scripted? You honestly think Rick knows all the information on items that are brought into the store?
Old 01-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John91C View Post
You honestly think Pawn Stars isn't scripted? You honestly think Rick knows all the information on items that are brought into the store?
I also thought I read somewhere that it was scripted to some extent. I'm pretty sure the producers seek out sellers that have interesting stuff and make them an offer to appear on the show with their item. Some small proof here.

Once you think about it, it's sorta obvious. I mean, the prices they're haggling over are often fractions of what a single commercial spot would cost during the syndicated airing of that same show months down the road. The producers have to make sure interesting stuff keeps coming in and they have to stop people who want television fame from coming in with something ridiculous. So it's likely screened, staged and largely fake.
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:41 PM   #28 (permalink)

I enjoy Pawn Stars, but it is mostly scripted IMO. At the very least, I'm sure Rick doesn't have experts running back and forth every day

[Inactive]
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
The proof comes from the provenance of who the hair came from. Here's a link to a story on the Wall Street Journal talking about where they got the hair from, and what kind of provenance he had:

Winner By a Hair: Collectors Wooed With a Bit of Abe Lincoln - WSJ.com

Looks like most of the provenance is in the form of notarized letters from physicians/morticians who were last with the person and who gathered a lock of hair.
i knew the name John Reznikoff would be in the article.. according to reports he was the same guy that authenticated an Al Ruddy autograph as an Al Pacino on Pawn Stars. i would like to see the proof for all the hair cards

Last edited by baytowntex; 01-28-2013 at 11:52 PM.
baytowntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:18 AM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

I found it off the guy only paid $1100.00 for it at a card shop. I will admit though I was also surprised to see an UD card, I thought it would be some no name company.
vc15jrich23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:26 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc15jrich23 View Post
I found it off the guy only paid $1100.00 for it at a card shop. I will admit though I was also surprised to see an UD card, I thought it would be some no name company.
Yeah, I can't see any LCS letting it go for anywhere near that. If he pack pulled it, $1100 would be way too much for a box. Maybe he bought a case?

And he wanted $70K? As Bill Cosby would say, "Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!"
aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:35 AM   #32 (permalink)

Pawn stars isn't scripted in the fact it's real their buying items and knowing the history.

But yes the people bringing items into the store line up outside and obviously they screen whats coming in to make sure someone's not bringing in something ridiculous for tv time. They make sure it's a legit item their wanting to sell and sign a waiver to be on tv and all that legal stuff. They have to do that because since its a real shop and location, since being on tv and popular there's hundreds, if not thousands of people coming to the store. Whether it be bringing items or just trying to see the group and shop

Rick is highly educated in most of those items on the show though. I really would think he would have to be since its his job. Also being the family business makes me think he really is that knowledgable about stuff. If he's not you can tell when he says he doesn't know about the item and needs an expert to come in. When I saw him a few years back it was at a Pawn shop in south Florida and the whole gang was in there for appraisals and/or pictures. They were there for 2 days, I went in on the second day and big hoss and the old man were gone. They were only there for one day I guess which sucked. But anyone that wanted items appraised or more info about we're welcomed to bring it in and Rick and Chum would look at it. Chum is as knowledgable in shoes as he is on the show. He named my Jordan's I was wearing spot on and told me he liked them.

And about bringing in experts everyday, of course they don't. I'm sure an episode probably takes about a week to film. People come in, then come back later if the expert needs to come, editing and all that. So it's clearly not real time live as its happening whats being shown, but I don't believe it's fake. Especially being on the history channel as well. Their built on real shows

Last edited by CAS239; 01-29-2013 at 01:04 AM.
CAS239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:26 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS239 View Post
Especially being on the history channel as well. Their [sic] built on real shows
Oh wow ... I feel like I'm telling someone Santa Claus doesn't exist. The History Channel hasn't had real information on it since it was the Hitler Channel (late 90s). Since then it's gone through many incarnations like the bible channel, the apocalypse channel, aliens channel and ancient aliens channel. Like TLC, it's no longer based on fact and learning but actually entertainment. Soon it will shed History from its title altogether and just be THC.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:59 AM   #34 (permalink)

It's scripted to the extent that they have to find people who have something interesting to be on the show. The guy owns a pawn store so he is going to have a good amount of knowledge on items he might be able to buy. It's his job. Again I am sure there is a lot of stuff he doesn't know about and he has to research, but that part wouldn't be interesting. He has a book out where he actually talks about how he is very good with math and numbers and that he reads a lot hence where he can get a good amount of information. I mean all these shows wouldn't keep a big enough audience if they didn't add in a little fake reality into it. He also said that they don't work much up front anymore because of the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John91C View Post

Last edited by Lockdown32; 01-29-2013 at 05:04 AM.
Lockdown32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavojohn View Post
Oh wow ... I feel like I'm telling someone Santa Claus doesn't exist. The History Channel hasn't had real information on it since it was the Hitler Channel (late 90s). Since then it's gone through many incarnations like the bible channel, the apocalypse channel, aliens channel and ancient aliens channel. Like TLC, it's no longer based on fact and learning but actually entertainment. Soon it will shed History from its title altogether and just be THC.
....of course it's not 100% fact and learning. I'm saying for the most part basically all their shows are real in the sense it's not a Jersey Shore or Jerry Springer show. As in having heavily scripted shows. It's an informational channel that provides insight into info about the past as well as future stuff that could affect history (ie. apocalypse, aliens)..their channel and audience aren't built around heavily scripted and completely fake shows.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
It's an informational channel that provides insight into info about the past as well as future stuff that could affect history (ie. apocalypse, aliens)
WELLLLLL that's enough internet for me today!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc15jrich23 View Post
I'm guessing he bought a case. Wanted $75,000 for it. lol

Ricks Offer was low also at $4,000.

I would think to the right collector around 10-12 K.
Never Forget 9/11, Be Diligent and Safe!
Vintage Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
WELLLLLL that's enough internet for me today!
If you want to believe that every single show is scripted and fake, then be my guest.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
If you want to believe that every single show is scripted and fake, then be my guest.
That's not at all what I said. I was bewildered that you think that a possible apocalypse or aliens belong in a learning context on a channel called "The History Channel." It's stupid and it's pandering to entertainment minded people. If I want to watch the X-Files, I put on the X-Files. This Earth is 4 1/2 billion years old and The History Channel plays "what if" games and shows two people haggling and slapstick inter-family drama? That's a slap in the face.

Keep in mind, I'm not attacking these pawn store owners or the people on the show. Anyone on TV is mildly disingenuous but I'm sure they're good people. I am saying that they probably have little control over their show and, yes, I am stating that the producers are most certainly rigging/scripting/cuing a good deal of this show (no not ALL of it). This is evident by them claiming to be surprised by the launch of "Cajun Pawn Stars" (also on the History channel!).

Your defense of The History Channel showing alien mysteries and apocalypse scenarios is why The History Channel shows those things: people watch them. Unfortunately it's less about history now and more about fat jokes and myth.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #40 (permalink)

eldavojohn: I get what you're saying, but before the aliens and the apocalypse stuff it was a ridiculous amount of Nazis and Nostradamus.

The sad fact is most people find real history boring and they have to get sensational to get the ratings needed to stay on the basic cable subscriber package teat.

[Inactive]
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
eldavojohn: I get what you're saying, but before the aliens and the apocalypse stuff it was a ridiculous amount of Nazis and Nostradamus.
You are sadly right on the money! However, Nostradamus and Hitler happened. Aliens and the apocalypse haven't. The channel has slowly translated from decent stuff worth watching. To really specifically odd stuff maybe worth watching (The Hitler Channel). To just unadulterated human feces. Unfortunately for Pawn Stars, they herald the end of The History Channel. Maybe TV is the wrong medium for history? Who knows? But I can still voice my opinion of decline and destruction of "The Learning Channel" (now TLC) and "The History Channel."

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
The sad fact is most people find real history boring and they have to get sensational to get the ratings needed to stay on the basic cable subscriber package teat.
Right you are again, which is why history must be innovatively presented as inherently valuable from an entertainment standpoint. That should be the charter of The History Channel: to make actual history interesting. That's what makes a good teacher a great teacher. When they are passionate enough to make you entertained by The Battle of Hastings.

And now with that transition I have NatGeo? I mean, what's left that is supposed to be 100% historical fact all the time? Nothing? This is the history channel today (youtube of Aliens guy).

Absolute drivel.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
That's not at all what I said. I was bewildered that you think that a possible apocalypse or aliens belong in a learning context on a channel called "The History Channel." It's stupid and it's pandering to entertainment minded people. If I want to watch the X-Files, I put on the X-Files. This Earth is 4 1/2 billion years old and The History Channel plays "what if" games and shows two people haggling and slapstick inter-family drama? That's a slap in the face.

Keep in mind, I'm not attacking these pawn store owners or the people on the show. Anyone on TV is mildly disingenuous but I'm sure they're good people. I am saying that they probably have little control over their show and, yes, I am stating that the producers are most certainly rigging/scripting/cuing a good deal of this show (no not ALL of it). This is evident by them claiming to be surprised by the launch of "Cajun Pawn Stars" (also on the History channel!).

Your defense of The History Channel showing alien mysteries and apocalypse scenarios is why The History Channel shows those things: people watch them. Unfortunately it's less about history now and more about fat jokes and myth.
I'm assuming they show the alien shows and apocalypse theories because they would create "new" history. I don't watch the shows on there about Aliens, so idk if they talk about future possible interactions, past beliefs, or a combo of both. I also don't watch the apocalypse shows because I don't see one happening anytime soon, so I find them stupid.

As far as Cajun Pawn Stars..I find that show to be pretty stupid. I have family in Alexandria, Louisiana, so the thought of even 5 people going into a pawn shop in that minuscule town is out there. And from what I know the guys from Pawn Stars got pretty angry when Cajun Pawn Stars came out. I saw Chumlee say something online like "F*ck Cajun Pawn Stars". Something that there was a said agreement with Pawn Stars and history channel that there would be no other pawn shop spin off shows.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #43 (permalink)

I absolutely loved the history channel, but it seems now they are going for more reality stuff. on the upside, channels like discovery and nat geo has brought in more "history channel type material". well what I knew the history channel to be. I've really noticed all these changes and the transition within the last 2 years. That's about how long I hadn't had these channels.

The history channel did go overboard with aliens, the apocolypes and hitler, but also with reality shows. I'm tired of the whole ghost hunting/paranormal stuff, monster, and bigfoot. Now there's numerous pawn shows and storage shows. some logging show where we watch people get sexual with their words over 150 year old logs that have been submerged. i dont have the time or energy to list all of the shows on these 3 channels, but it's getting out of hand. straight rediculous.

So they change their line up, because they see what sells, it makes sense. I think they just went overboard with the reality tv crap and aliens, apolcalypes where it's just a few crazies giving us their opinions, most of which aren't supported by evidence.

i think people do find real history very intriguing, but more people seem to be facinated with the here and now and with other peoples affairs. for me at least, whether it be documentaries on ancient war, architechture, art, or the way of life... or the exploration of underground cities, ancients civilizations, or the pyramids is quite interesting subject matter. isn't it facinating to think, there are people out there searching to expand what we know about our history on this planet? imagine all that we still do not know.

Last edited by Ronin; 01-29-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #44 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to KeithKards

Found a video of Rick with hair!!!!
Rick Harrison With Hair - YouTube
Old 01-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #45 (permalink)

If anyone is interested in what I have to say on the Pawn Stars fake or not thing.....here ya go.

I was cast early last year to be on Pawn Stars through a general submission through the website. I was already going on a trip to Vegas in march and thought it would be cool to try and sell my Allen Dorfman owned Golf Clubs. I had a great back and forth with there producers and was set to be on the show in March.

Low and behold I was told that the taping schedule had changed and they could no longer have me and my item on the show. It turned out not to be true, as i went into the shop the morning that I was originally supposed to be on, and the first thing I saw was Rick behind the counter being filmed checking out some guys documents.

My hunch is that about 70% of the items brought in by customers on the show are legit with some planted stuff mixed in for entertainment purposes. Obviously all of the behind the scenes interactions between The Old Man, Chum, etc. are completely fabricated, because the acting is god awful.

Craig
Old 01-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtheowl View Post
If anyone is interested in what I have to say on the Pawn Stars fake or not thing.....here ya go.

I was cast early last year to be on Pawn Stars through a general submission through the website. I was already going on a trip to Vegas in march and thought it would be cool to try and sell my Allen Dorfman owned Golf Clubs. I had a great back and forth with there producers and was set to be on the show in March.

Low and behold I was told that the taping schedule had changed and they could no longer have me and my item on the show. It turned out not to be true, as i went into the shop the morning that I was originally supposed to be on, and the first thing I saw was Rick behind the counter being filmed checking out some guys documents.

My hunch is that about 70% of the items brought in by customers on the show are legit with some planted stuff mixed in for entertainment purposes. Obviously all of the behind the scenes interactions between The Old Man, Chum, etc. are completely fabricated, because the acting is god awful.

Craig

Old 01-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #47 (permalink)

haha yes love that
Old 01-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtheowl View Post

Craig
Could be maybe they had a delay and items from the day before got pushed back to the day you were suppose to be on? Or maybe they got too many and had to cut a few for the day? It's stupid how you can't just waltz in to get an item appraised or looked at and be on the show since there's so many people visiting. Makes sense, but stupid

That sucks you didn't get to be on the show. That would've been pretty cool
Old 01-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Could be maybe they had a delay and items from the day before got pushed back to the day you were suppose to be on? Or maybe they got too many and had to cut a few for the day? It's stupid how you can't just waltz in to get an item appraised or looked at and be on the show since there's so many people visiting. Makes sense, but stupid

That sucks you didn't get to be on the show. That would've been pretty cool
My guess would be that you got bumped for something/someone the producers thought was more interesting. Oh well, that's (reality) show biz!
aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #50 (permalink)

meh... wanna talk about a sleazy scripted 'reality show', take a look at Restaurant Stakeout. That angry New Yorker is simply promoting his restaurants. The thieving waiters are the best actors in the restaurant, picked by the producers in auditions.

Compared to that sort of thing, Pawn Stars is like looking out the window at nature.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote