Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Rian: here's an interesting case for you (and doesn't involve any dramatics like last time )

VS

The Glebes brought another addition to the "fully painted" class within the sketch card genre. This comparison shows how much of the "it" factor can be gained by using liquid paint instead of copic markers. Very difficult to get good results on such a small cardboard canvas.

The splattered white technique, in my opinion, is just a gimmick that anyone can experiment with.

sketchcardsaloon.com
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Rian: here's an interesting case for you (and doesn't involve any dramatics like last time )

VS

I prefer the top sketch. The pose is more dynamic and interesting. But the Glebe card has a very cool level of detail and shading that the top card lacks. I think for many collectors, hyper-details are worth spending more money on. And let's be fair, it probably takes them longer to add so much detail.

There are instances, though, where tons of detail can overshadow a basic flaw. The card below has an insane amount of detail and Shane looks spectacular, but I can't get past the fact that Shane isn't looking in the direction of the gun blast:

This card still probably sold for a ton because there's just so much detail in it. And hey, the owner is probably happy with it so who am I to judge their personal preference? For them, this card has "it."
Old 02-12-2013, 04:53 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
I prefer the top sketch. The pose is more dynamic and interesting. But the Glebe card has a very cool level of detail and shading that the top card lacks. I think for many collectors, hyper-details are worth spending more money on. And let's be fair, it probably takes them longer to add so much detail.
what would you say the price difference is on those two punisher sketches?

in regards to op. i've been staring at this sketch for about 10 minutes now, and i still can't see the "it" factor. Marvel Greatest Heroes Katie Cook Sketch Card Captain America Avengers Sweet | eBay

then again, i can't see myself spending so much for a sketch like this Star Wars Galactic Files Sketch Card IG 88 vs C3PO R2 | eBay though clearly there are people who will. so that is the answer, the "it" factor may just be as simple as personal taste.

Last edited by Ronin; 02-12-2013 at 05:11 AM.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:59 AM   #54 (permalink)

a new style, hyper detail, etc.. a name. what matters is how much a person is willing to spend on said item. that determines its worth. throw up two similar sketches by two different artists, the idea that one is far superior over the other because of who did the piece, is an illusion.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
what would you say the price difference is on those two punisher sketches?
Well, I paid $40 for the top one--bottom one is still for sale.

To me, a lot of the "it" factor is a strong point of view. It's still vague, but a little less so. Rian talks a lot about confidence and I'm sure some of you dismiss that, but I think there's something to it in terms of going with a perspective/style and committing to it.

The artists I pay most for have a very distinctive style--like most of you, I can spot a Charles Hall or a Glebe or a VOC or a NAR from a line-up pretty easily. The style I like is either very stylized (Sara Richard), very dynamic (Glebe), very painterly (Hall, Tim Proctor), very detailed precision (Lak Lim), very expressive (Frank Kadar), or makes great use of light and shadow (Matias Streb, VOC). I would add to that people who just do the traditional comic style extremely well (Roy Cover, Megan Hetric [some day I'll snag one of hers], Sam Agro, Larry Welz).

If you want me to give a Katie Cook defense, this is what I would say: imagine Katie as a world-class chef who has decided that she really likes pastries and that's what she is going to spend her time on. She could do anything, but that's what she likes. Now pastries are looked down upon by a lot of foodies and not considered maybe as "serious" as doing savory dishes, but according to those who enjoy pastries, Katie rocks those pastries like none other.

I think her work indicates a lot of talent. Her lines are great and her coloring is perfect for the style. And something that we kind of gloss over: look how easily she boils down these characters to their bare essentials so that with a few lines you can immediately tell who it is.

There's a lot tradition of this kind of minimalism in art and the Chibi style she uses has evolved from that philosophy. It's not for everyone--I'm not a big fan of it, but it's obvious to me that when it comes to that style, I haven't seen it done better.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
then again, i can't see myself spending so much for a sketch like this Star Wars Galactic Files Sketch Card IG 88 vs C3PO R2 | eBay though clearly there are people who will. so that is the answer, the "it" factor may just be as simple as personal taste.
All of the Ottinger sketches have gone for much higher prices than I would pay. And I've been trying to collect diverse artists from that set -- he's just one I'm going to give up on. Any of the arm wrestling sketches go from $80 - $250 on eBay and even just pencil sketches of IG-88 or his crew go for $75-$150.

I love his style and his obsession with IG-88 but ... that's a little high for me. Glad to hear I'm not alone in my tastes. Seemed like I was the only one not throwing down a bennie on these
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, I paid $40 for the top one--bottom one is still for sale.

To me, a lot of the "it" factor is a strong point of view. It's still vague, but a little less so. Rian talks a lot about confidence and I'm sure some of you dismiss that, but I think there's something to it in terms of going with a perspective/style and committing to it.

The artists I pay most for have a very distinctive style--like most of you, I can spot a Charles Hall or a Glebe or a VOC or a NAR from a line-up pretty easily. The style I like is either very stylized (Sara Richard), very dynamic (Glebe), very painterly (Hall, Tim Proctor), very detailed precision (Lak Lim), very expressive (Frank Kadar), or makes great use of light and shadow (Matias Streb, VOC). I would add to that people who just do the traditional comic style extremely well (Roy Cover, Megan Hetric [some day I'll snag one of hers], Sam Agro, Larry Welz).

If you want me to give a Katie Cook defense, this is what I would say: imagine Katie as a world-class chef who has decided that she really likes pastries and that's what she is going to spend her time on. She could do anything, but that's what she likes. Now pastries are looked down upon by a lot of foodies and not considered maybe as "serious" as doing savory dishes, but according to those who enjoy pastries, Katie rocks those pastries like none other.

I think her work indicates a lot of talent. Her lines are great and her coloring is perfect for the style. And something that we kind of gloss over: look how easily she boils down these characters to their bare essentials so that with a few lines you can immediately tell who it is.

There's a lot tradition of this kind of minimalism in art and the Chibi style she uses has evolved from that philosophy. It's not for everyone--I'm not a big fan of it, but it's obvious to me that when it comes to that style, I haven't seen it done better.
and the bottom Glebe is listed for $1057. no offense to the Glebe brothers or the seller, but i rather prefer the top sketch of punisher. even if price wasn't an issue.

i've seen similar sketches to Katie Cooks, in terms of style and quality, selling for a 1/3 of what hers does so.. but people are going to buy what they like. i can see people who aren't MLP fans might be interested purely for the artsy vibe of the sketches. a couple other examples of minimalists below.

Star Wars Sketch Card Nina Edlund Galaxy 5 Lando WOW | eBay

Topps Star Wars Galaxy 7 Sketch Card Beck Seashols Lando Calrissian | eBay

Last edited by Ronin; 02-12-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavojohn View Post
All of the Ottinger sketches have gone for much higher prices than I would pay. And I've been trying to collect diverse artists from that set -- he's just one I'm going to give up on. Any of the arm wrestling sketches go from $80 - $250 on eBay and even just pencil sketches of IG-88 or his crew go for $75-$150.

I love his style and his obsession with IG-88 but ... that's a little high for me. Glad to hear I'm not alone in my tastes. Seemed like I was the only one not throwing down a bennie on these
Yeah I was tempted to bid on that but apparently someone wanted it pretty damn bad lol
Old 02-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #59 (permalink)

as far as the "it" factor goes... no comment. i like what i like. i pay what i'm willing to pay, which is typically less than $50 unless the seller is the artist. i don't take what other people like into consideration. if i pulled a glebe, cook, current acar, current hall, i'd probably sell them in a heartbeat for the price they pull. if i pulled a hetrick, perna, cover, old acar or old hall i would probably keep them (or trade them for a like card of a character i prefer).

as far as Katie Cook goes... she has a strong following that pre-dates her MLP deal. when an artist has a following it drives up the price of their sketch cards. it only takes a couple of big budget collectors to turn a $30 card into a $150 card. the "it" factor doesn't have to be all that widespread. we could fit all the big budget sketch card collectors into my tiny apartment.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #60 (permalink)

How To Draw Really Good - Spiderman - YouTube
Old 02-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:

That whole post was fantastic, you have an excellent grasp of art and aesthetics. Very impressive.

With Katie Cook in particular, there is a massive amount of skill and talent that is evident in her line. The confidence and purity of her strokes is off the charts. It is always obvious that she does not hesitate for a single moment when she draws, and her curves and angles are completely her own.

She has a unique style that has always set her apart, she did the Chibi thing before anyone else and maintained a high level of skill and execution, and collectors pushed the value of her cards way up by competing to collect as many as they could.

Katie Cook is a perfect storm within the hobby.

sketchcardsaloon.com
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Reminds me of the time I tried to find instructions for pronouncing haute couture on youtube. I also have learned how to make spaghetti and add milk to my coffee.
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #63 (permalink)

ikr $550 for Star Wars Galactic Files Sketch Card Katie Cook | eBay yes please!

here's another Topps Star Wars 30th Anniversary Katie Cook Princess Leia Sketch | eBay 1 out of 500 she did for the set. impressive.