Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Stan Lee autograph steal?

Just picked this up for a great price!!!
Autographed 8 x 10 Signed by Stan Lee Comes with A UACC C O A A Real Find | eBay
Old 02-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

You got a pretty good deal, it's probably worth about $50. He signs at almost every comic show, for a decade or so in the 90's, he would do signings at comic stores and shows. Then again, he is in his 90's, so wait a few years and who knows?
gdelan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Congrats I would be very happy with that price. Nice sig as well.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Shirk View Post
Congrats I would be very happy with that price. Nice sig as well.

The sig looks a bit condenses from his normal signature, probably signed a bunch of these in a short time.
This is the only Stan Lee autograph (and hand drawn sketch, one of my last 2 remaining sketches) that I have, I pulled it years ago and it is a good example of his autograph:

Incarnadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

That sig looks very suspiscious to me. I've got stan in person many times and never got a autograph that looks sloppy like this. If there is not actual proof of him signing the photo, i'm sorry but I'd say it is fake. always remember guys, if a deal is too good to be true, it is. I collect autographs as a hobby/business, you can question my knowledge if you like, but I know fake autographs when I see them.

also FYI, stan NEVER connects the two ee's in Lee like the one in your photo, the last "e" is always seperate

Last edited by cardlover29; 02-08-2013 at 11:18 AM.
cardlover29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardlover29 View Post
That sig looks very suspiscious to me. I've got stan in person many times and never got a autograph that looks sloppy like this. If there is not actual proof of him signing the photo, i'm sorry but I'd say it is fake. always remember guys, if a deal is too good to be true, it is. I collect autographs as a hobby/business, you can question my knowledge if you like, but I know fake autographs when I see them.

also FYI, stan NEVER connects the two ee's in Lee like the one in your photo, the last "e" is always seperate
You are wrong,...there is no way to prove that this item is fake, You are also right, if there is no actual proof then how could you say the item is authentic. There is a big problem in this business. dont let the term CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY fool you especially if the COA doesnt state any facts. dont pay for the signature, pay for the proof.
baytowntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Anyone watch the most recent Pawm Stars episode? Stan signs a ton.. very VERY rarely, if ever, draws anything along with it.... I would stay away from this knowing that: The signature is sloppy, and his auto stays very much similar across the board and taking into account he is not an artist, and has never claimed to be..the sketch would deter me.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUGSEVIER54 View Post
Anyone watch the most recent Pawm Stars episode? Stan signs a ton.. very VERY rarely, if ever, draws anything along with it.... I would stay away from this knowing that: The signature is sloppy, and his auto stays very much similar across the board and taking into account he is not an artist, and has never claimed to be..the sketch would deter me.
the sketch card would deter you? all you have to do is call rittenhouse to authenticate it.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUGSEVIER54 View Post
signature sloppy or not.. if you dont have proof then I wouldnt buy it.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm not an expert on Stan Lee autos - but the listing referenced in the opening post has a COA attached to it. It could be a fake, but its there.

As far as the sketch goes - I've seen several done by Stan Lee on blank comic book sketch covers and as insert cards in licensed sets. Not to say that nobody would go through the trouble of forging one.... that one looks pretty consistent with others I've seen so I see no reason to doubt it.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I'm not an expert on Stan Lee autos - but the listing referenced in the opening post has a COA attached to it. It could be a fake, but its there.

As far as the sketch goes - I've seen several done by Stan Lee on blank comic book sketch covers and as insert cards in licensed sets. Not to say that nobody would go through the trouble of forging one.... that one looks pretty consistent with others I've seen so I see no reason to doubt it.
In reference to the sketch, Stan Lee did 100 of these (all Captain America) for the 2006 Complete Avengers set by Rittenhouse. Originally they were supposed to be 6 case incentives, but that was changed to Cat Staggs oversized sketches and the Stan Lee was inserted in packs as a bonus sketch, it did not replace the 1 per box color sketch that was guaranteed.
I pulled this sketch myself from the roughly 5 cases I opened, so I know it's genuine, and it's one of the 2 sketches I kept when I sold my collection. I mean, it's Stan Lee!. He signs a ton, but there aren't many official licensed sketch cards by Stan "the man" Lee out there.
Incarnadine is offline   Reply With Quote