Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Sellers SIGNIFICANTLY over-valuing Walking Dead Season 2 Sketches....

Anyone else tired of seeing the same sketches for double or triple what they would actually bring at auction? Cards, that are sent to auction and don't meet the reserve, only to be re-listed as a BIN at 3-4x the price they attained the first time around?

A certain someone here should've taken the $550 that I offered for a certain sketch a few weeks ago. Now, they won't get even close to that.

Makes me laugh. Remember...."Pigs get fed, Hogs get slaughtered".
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm guessing your talking about my sketch...With the exception of one problem...You made no offer...Each one of your messages to me started with "I'm not making an official offer...& ended with "just asking to know"...Thanks for your interest though...
hamoody22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamoody22 View Post
I'm guessing your talking about my sketch...With the exception of one problem...You made no offer...Each one of your messages to me started with "I'm not making an official offer...& ended with "just asking to know"...Thanks for your interest though...
I don't know what your guys' communications have been like but I think he's talking about the vast majority of cards up for sale. The many Ricks with $799 BIN/BOs that would and have sold for $200-250 at auction. Heck, I'm kicking myself for forgetting to bid on a Charles Hall Rick that recently ended at ~$225 (though the artist wasn't listed in the auction). With your card, one of the most sought out for being an awesome card and a preview card, I think getting $400+ would be a victory for you. Again, it's your card and you may only want to part with it for a killer price, but I get what he's saying when looking at the subpar or 'okay' Ricks that people are asking $500-700 for.

edit: for example, one of the Ricks by Hendrickson sold for $128 at auction. It's a nice card, but the guy did like 20 Rick sketches for the set. That's why I personally value Season 1 character sketches over Season 2: characters were actually scare in S1.

Last edited by t2554; 02-12-2013 at 01:01 AM.
t2554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

did people really not see this coming? don't get me wrong, i don't even fancy the show, but i'd admit that some of the sketches are pretty amazing.

some people dont realize how detrimental BIN is to ebay. i mean people act as if their items are gold. of course it's better if they have the "make offer" option, but even then they expect a number so close to their BIN, it's rediculous.

i'm just ranting about it in general, not any specific auction.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

This is funny coming from the guy who was asking $3500 for a Rick cut patch card that I believe never sold for over $800?

I agree though the sketch prices are stupid... just as stupid as a $3500 asking price on a $800 card.
kapz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapz01 View Post
This is funny coming from the guy who was asking $3500 for a Rick cut patch card that I believe never sold for over $800?

I agree though the sketch prices are stupid... just as stupid as a $3500 asking price on a $800 card.
Difference is that I don't want to sell it. It's more of a "look what I have and look what you don't have" type if auction.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamoody22 View Post
Every time I sent a PM, you responded with "No". People here are so hyper-sensitive about deals on here, I wanted to know where I stood before making a real offer. You just never let me get to that point. Hell, it took 4 PMs to get you to say that you would do $700, that's when I laughed and chalked it up to a lost cause.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

You want to know where you stand? Put your money where your mouth is and make an actual offer, not a thread to whine about the fact that sombody won't sell you something that you want. Perhaps the seller is just as motivated to sell the sketch as you are to sell your patch...except his is a one of a kind piece of art where there is no "market price".
Igman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Honestly, I think all the WD sketches are vastly overvalued. I collect all kinds of sketches and have dropped plenty of dough on them, but I won't touch these.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Honestly, I think all the WD sketches are vastly overvalued. I collect all kinds of sketches and have dropped plenty of dough on them, but I won't touch these.
quoted for truth
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igman7 View Post
You want to know where you stand? Put your money where your mouth is and make an actual offer, not a thread to whine about the fact that sombody won't sell you something that you want. Perhaps the seller is just as motivated to sell the sketch as you are to sell your patch...except his is a one of a kind piece of art where there is no "market price".
Never got the chance, bud. I would've paid $550, probably $600. But every PM was answered with a No. We're at different areas, he wants to sell which is why he sent it auction. I won't do that because I don't want to sell. Common sense would've answered your question, Iggy.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

Still would have killed for one of those Dan Bergren AP's
Campbelljh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

I like my 2 Rick sketches that I have but I won't be thinking they'd fetch even $400 a piece.

I think it's ridiculous... a lot of people think the sketches from this set are a goldmine and there's way too many character ones to choose from. Some of the S1 cards are still up there for stupid prices and I'll never understand it either. If you want to sell it... just sell it. Don't expect that after 6 months someone is going to buy your card for $800.
durstlimpbizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by durstlimpbizkit View Post
I like my 2 Rick sketches that I have but I won't be thinking they'd fetch even $400 a piece.

I think it's ridiculous... a lot of people think the sketches from this set are a goldmine and there's way too many character ones to choose from. Some of the S1 cards are still up there for stupid prices and I'll never understand it either. If you want to sell it... just sell it. Don't expect that after 6 months someone is going to buy your card for $800.
Yes, extremely coherent post here^^^^
Old 02-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

I also think a lot of people spent roughly $150 on a box, so they're seeing the rarer hits as $$$$$$$$$$ and won't accept anything less.

This set was a different monster than the first - the prices were inflated months prior to release. People weren't seeing it as an $80/box product, they saw it as a much higher-end initial buy-in a la Marvel Premier. There was no room for the hits in this set to escalate in value, they came out and were listed at the ceiling.

It'll be interesting to see what S3 pre-orders do. A lot of dealers are still going to be sitting on over-valued S2 product, probably questioning their investment.

While it's an awesome set with TONS of cool hits, a lot of folks who tried this set who don't know non-sports just to cash in are killing the secondary market.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

I don't really get posts like this. It's their card...they can ask what they want on it. If the price is to high for you don't buy it. Pretty simple concept.
Chuck Bartowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bartowski View Post
I don't really get posts like this. It's their card...they can ask what they want on it. If the price is to high for you don't buy it. Pretty simple concept.
That concept still remains even with the OP in mind. That's the point... people aren't buying them... so why even list them?
Old 02-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
That concept still remains even with the OP in mind. That's the point... people aren't buying them... so why even list them?
why list anything if that is your mindset? i mean, how do you know if someone will buy anything unless you list it first?
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Why does it matter? If he's tired of seeing the listings they do have a filter where you can search for items below a certain price.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #20 (permalink)

You list it for a stupid price because you never know if someone is willing to pay a stupid price or not. One time I listed a sketch card from a different set for $1499.99. I figured it was a $700-$800 card at best. Someone offered $1300, and before I could even get onto eBay to accept the offer, they just hit the buy it now.

You never know what you can get, and no one wants to list low and always think they may have left money on the table. I've done that plenty of times, and now I just list for a stupid amount of everything, thats what the best offer feature is there for.
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjs14 View Post
You list it for a stupid price because you never know if someone is willing to pay a stupid price or not. One time I listed a sketch card from a different set for $1499.99. I figured it was a $700-$800 card at best. Someone offered $1300, and before I could even get onto eBay to accept the offer, they just hit the buy it now.

You never know what you can get, and no one wants to list low and always think they may have left money on the table. I've done that plenty of times, and now I just list for a stupid amount of everything, thats what the best offer feature is there for.
Your situation is different... you at least put a OBO on it. I'm looking at ones that don't have an offer option and they just stay listed for months on end.

For the above posters, what I mean by "Why even list it?" I mean why list a number nobody is biting on without at least putting an OBO or a starting point with a BIN price. If you're not doing that then you're just wasting your own time which is what I'm getting at.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
I agree most are overvalued, but think of it this way: how many Marvel sets are there to choose from and how many WD sets are there to choose from? People are willing to pay high prices for simply average sketches because they want a sketch from the licensed set and there have only been two seasons so far.
t2554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2554 View Post
I agree most are overvalued, but think of it this way: how many Marvel sets are there to choose from and how many WD sets are there to choose from? People are willing to pay high prices for simply average sketches because they want a sketch from the licensed set and there have only been two seasons so far.
I hadn't looked at the sold prices for a little while, I guess. The recent sales look more in line with what I was expecting originally, so maybe not as badly overvalued as they were a month ago.

I understand the scarcity thing, but these were selling for a crazy amount of money for awhile. It was great for sellers, but just as a general sketch card fan I was very surprised.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #24 (permalink)

So how much could I get for one of my WD Comics APs? Keep in mind we can only illustrate the comics versions of the characters but could go wild on the zoms.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
So how much could I get for one of my WD Comics APs? Keep in mind we can only illustrate the comics versions of the characters but could go wild on the zoms.
The comic sketches sell for much cheaper since their insert ratio is 1:box instead of 1:case.