Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New to sketch cards and commissions, questions

I have some ideas that I'd like to have someone turn into sketch cards but they are not subjects that are licensed to card providers. An example is a Dilbert sketch. Would this violate something? How do you know what an artist is allowed to create or can it be anything? I have a few other cartoon or TV ideas but they don't have card sets.

Sorry for being noobish, just curious.

Thanks.
cyberpvnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

As far as I know, for personal sketch cards, pretty much anything is allowed. It's only an issue if you are trying to get an artist proof from an official set, then the card may have to follow certain guidelines and have to be approved.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. Is there a list or site of what artists like to do what? For intance, I'd like to have a custom Garbage Pail sketch done of myself.

Do some artists ONLY do Marvel, ONLY do Superman, etc. I just don't want to annoy them by asking for things they won't do.

Thx again
Old 02-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nah, there are artists most known for certain subjects, but often it's nice to try something new. You really can't know until you ask. You should, however, be ready to specify whether you want them to mimic the official style of whatever cartoon or if you want them to adapt it to their own style as that can be an important deciding factor.

Any artist that treats you like an inconvenience simply for asking if they're available for commission should be instantly off your list anyway, imo... even if it's not their thing, you're giving them a compliment and offering money.

To the original question - technically, it is against copyright law to draw licensed characters without official permission. Most artists don't worry about it and most companies look the other way, though. Especially in the case of commissions where the artist isn't using the likeness as part of the selling point (pre-drawn art leveraging on the character for the sale) and it's a one-off rather than something being reproduced.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpvnk View Post
Thanks. Is there a list or site of what artists like to do what? For intance, I'd like to have a custom Garbage Pail sketch done of myself.

Do some artists ONLY do Marvel, ONLY do Superman, etc. I just don't want to annoy them by asking for things they won't do.

Thx again
Hi Cyberpvnk,

There isn't an exact site, though there are various forums including this one where you may find artists lurking, nonsportsupdate, sportscardforums, etc.
There is another called scoundrel art community forums. where plenty of artists hang out. I fear that environment may be too fast passed or elite for you at the moment, but by all means check it out. You may find it easier to connect with a desired artist via those forums.

As far as what they will draw, depends on the artist and if he/she would be interested in such a commission. For garbage Pail sketches, do you mean a personal sketch card(PSC) or trying to find an artist that worked on that release, who may be able to sell you a commissioned Artist Proof(AP)? Not sure, but I don't believe there were any GPK AP's handed out to the artists.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpvnk View Post
Jeff Zapata does official GPK art and is usually at the Philly Non-Sports show. I couldn't find a website for him, but if you can I'm sure he'd be able to do a commission.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Hi Cyberpvnk,

As far as what they will draw, depends on the artist and if he/she would be interested in such a commission. For garbage Pail sketches, do you mean a personal sketch card(PSC) or trying to find an artist that worked on that release, who may be able to sell you a commissioned Artist Proof(AP)? Not sure, but I don't believe there were any GPK AP's handed out to the artists.
Thanks for all the info! About GPK specifically, my name is Jim so I was hoping a GPK artist would create a "new" Jim character for me. Slim Jim, Rim Jim, etc. Something personal that would be a 1/1 for me.

I'll look into the forums you mentioned and also look into Zapata as suggested.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

FYI - GPK sets do provide blanks to the artists for commission as part of the payment...

Here is a site you might be interested in: Bunk Art

As far as doing "fan art" PSCs - you can find artists on Scoundrel that are new and work pretty inexpensively or artists that are seasons and charge much more - don't be afraid to take a look.
Scoundrel Art Community • View topic - Artists Who Offer Personal Sketch Cards
Scoundrel Art Community • View topic - Personal Sketch Cards V. 20

There is also a commission feedback thread here you might be interested in:
Official Sketch Commission Feedback Thread (AP/AE/PSCs)
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
FYI - GPK sets do provide blanks to the artists for commission as part of the payment...
I had no idea, hadn't seen any. I stand corrected.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote