Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ebay Advice

Hello all,

Just wanted to get a little feedback on a Ebay situation that I am having. I recently pulled an autograph wardrobe card from the Big Bang Theory 3/4 box. I listed it yesterday via BIN/BO, and someone immediately submitted a BO. After returning from a office meeting 3 hours later, I accepted the BO.

Last night I recieved a message from the potential buyer saying:

Hi. I retracted my offers with 2 other sellers as I made a total of 3offers yesterday for this Rauch auto costume card. The reason I retracted was my friend pulled one and offered to sell it to me for a "friend" price. I overlooked retracting my bid with you.

Please request to cancel the auction. Ebay will fully refund the end of auction fees and you can relist it. Thank you for understanding.

I am going to send this message back:

Hi KC,

Sorry, it is my policy to not cancel auctions, as I have been burned too often by buyers. By submitting a BO you entered into a contract to purchase the card, whether you pay for it or not, there needs to be some consequence on your end. I do believe you did find a better deal somewhere else, but probably after I accepted your BO. You had more than three hours to retract your bid. Re-listing the card should fall on your shoulders and not mine, as we both know re-listing the card will result in a loss in sale. Sorry again, but if I do not receive payment within a week, I will be forced to open a non-paying bidder claim with Ebay.

Am I being too harsh, or should I just cancel the auction and bite my loss?

Thanks for the advice in advance.
Cartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

I would let him cancel or move on. If you send the card, he could send it back and leave a negative. Sad that they let it happen but it's seemingly become common place. You'll still do well with the card, it's incredibly hot right now.
Brobocop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

I applaud you for doing this, as I have done the same thing in the past to mixed results. Buyers get away with way too much on eBay. It could turn out badly for you (with a negative, as it has for me as well) but I think you still did the right thing as a seller.
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
I would let him cancel or move on. If you send the card, he could send it back and leave a negative. Sad that they let it happen but it's seemingly become common place. You'll still do well with the card, it's incredibly hot right now.
This is probably your best course of action, however, I personally wouldn't do that and I would stick him with it. If you work closely with eBay on it, they should be able to remove any negative feedback he leaves.

It's pretty clear he's lying to you, who submits three offers without the intent to buy all three? That's why offers have a 48 hour limit on them, to ensure they're canceled or accepted ASAP by the buyer/seller. You might ask him why he was submitting three offers when he only wanted one card ...

People need to learn that those warnings on eBay actually mean stuff.

Last edited by eldavojohn; 02-15-2013 at 09:34 AM. Reason: added buyer/seller
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tim

bottom line - you are screwed b/c ebay empowers buyers - it's not like the real world where you'd win in small claims court - this is the whimsical world of ebay, aka "buyer's paradise" where the buyer could pay you, get the card, claim it's not as described, and win a claim against you. no matter how much you want to force him to honor his word, ebay/paypal do not care and will side with the buyer.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Plus I'd be afraid of what he might do to the card if he ever gets it. He could bend it in half or something and say he got it like that, hence the return. If I were you, I would not let that card leave your house until you have a serious buyer that has no apparent reason to screw you over. I think the only thing you could do is file a NPB on the guy, but that's about it.

Like I said, it's a very hot card right now, hell, give me a week and even I would consider taking it off your hands. Just put it back up and you should have no issue unloading it at a good price.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

It's not just eBay that empowers buyers, they are empowered in almost every industry. Cut your loses, eBay won't charge you to relist it, your listing fees will be returned when you explain what happened. The buyer was stupid to even tell you that he got a better offer somewhere else.

Let's put it this way, if you purchased something at a store, and returned it 3 hours later, would they refund your money? Most stores would...
TarjetasBéisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavojohn View Post
This is probably your best course of action, however, I personally wouldn't do that and I would stick him with it. If you work closely with eBay on it, they should be able to remove any negative feedback he leaves.

It's pretty clear he's lying to you, who submits three offers without the intent to buy all three? That's why offers have a 48 hour limit on them, to ensure they're canceled or accepted ASAP by the buyer/seller. You might ask him why he was submitting three offers when he only wanted one card ...

People need to learn that those warnings on eBay actually mean stuff.
I wouldn't be worried about the negative as much as the guy being mad enough to scam you out of the card altogether or claim it's damaged and request a return (which he doesn't even have to show any evidence of damage) and ultimately you get the card back several weeks later than if you would have just re-listed.

I don't see the point in "making" someone finish a transaction. I would rather re-list it and sell to someone I don't think could have bad intentions when they get the card.
t2554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2554 View Post
I wouldn't be worried about the negative as much as the guy being mad enough to scam you out of the card altogether or claim it's damaged and request a return (which he doesn't even have to show any evidence of damage) and ultimately you get the card back several weeks later than if you would have just re-listed.

I don't see the point in "making" someone finish a transaction. I would rather re-list it and sell to someone I don't think could have bad intentions when they get the card.
Which is probably why this buyer fearlessly puts in tons of what he thinks are lowball offers with no intent to pay if all of them are accepted?

Is there something wrong with waiting to receive payment before shipping the card?
Old 02-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to take the high road and cancel the auction and relist. There are too many issues that could arise if I do not,

Thanks again!

You may want to block this buyer KCUNDERTHESUN
Cartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks for the user name, funny how he has some high priced stuff on his page. Wonder how he would like it if someone did that to him. You'd think as a seller, he would be more careful about these types of things. What a jerk.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

file a claim after 4 days.......... then close it in another 4. if more sellers do this, ebay will suspend his account for too many NPB strikes.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_steelers07 View Post
file a claim after 4 days.......... then close it in another 4. if more sellers do this, ebay will suspend his account for too many NPB strikes.
Yeah, Cartel, I can't blame you for your plan of action but even as a buyer on eBay (I've bought 220 things and sold 2) this just reeks of poor form on the KCUNDERTHESUN's part. Sorry you have to deal with crap like this.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

As a seller, I about NEVER cancel a transaction. I will let eBay open the Non-Payment case for me after 4 days, and after 4 more days they can take the Non-Paying Bidder mark ------------------

Last edited by Mystafet; 02-19-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Mystafet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystafet View Post
Nonetheless, because I'm an A$$, I just took my Wife's old eBay account she never uses, put an offer in on one of his cards, and when he accepts, I'm sending him the EXACT same msg he sent the OP, and we will see how he reacts to that.
Relevant trolling of a troll.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarjetasBéisbol View Post
It's not just eBay that empowers buyers, they are empowered in almost every industry. Cut your loses, eBay won't charge you to relist it, your listing fees will be returned when you explain what happened. The buyer was stupid to even tell you that he got a better offer somewhere else.

Let's put it this way, if you purchased something at a store, and returned it 3 hours later, would they refund your money? Most stores would...
apples and oranges though - the store can inspect the item to determine it's still new and unused. when you have to do it thru the mail, dishonest buyers can get away with a lot more.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystafet View Post
As a seller, I about NEVER cancel a transaction. I will let eBay open the Non-Payment case for me after 4 days, and after 4 more days they can take the Non-Paying Bidder mark against them.
that sounds great in theory but if the buyer states he doesn't want it, and then you file the claim, and THEN they pay, you are at their mercy. that happened to me once and the buyer got the card and then left me a negative for "not being a nice person," lol. i could write a book on the bad buying experiences out there - it's a shame the bad ones stand out from all the great ones.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
that sounds great in theory but if the buyer states he doesn't want it, and then you file the claim, and THEN they pay, you are at their mercy. that happened to me once and the buyer got the card and then left me a negative for "not being a nice person," lol. i could write a book on the bad buying experiences out there - it's a shame the bad ones stand out from all the great ones.
Wow, a negative for 'not being a nice person'...that in just WOW, I would fight that with ebay, but its been said a billion times, eBay is a buyers market. I'm just glad I haven't been hit with a rediculous negative yet, I'm waiting on it.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Yep--sometimes it's easy to just accept reality than try to force someone to do the right thing when eBay/PayPal will allow them to send it back to you. In the meantime, the price of the hot items will have gone down and you lose out on even more money.

I'd cancel the transaction and then block him.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #20 (permalink)

Accept the cancel of the auction, get back your fees paid which will be automatically credited back to you, then relist. Since he did a buy now for the offer, it's not like you had tons of bids and then this. So really not losing out on anything. Just relist and sell it.

Trying to force him to buy it is, no offense, immature. And not going to work. He's not going to be forced by eBay to pay for the item. And if he did, he'd pay, receive, then just return it for a refund. I admit there's a lot of different stuff that can be annoying from the buyer side as well as the seller. Little changes of mind here and there and etc.

But your best option is to accept the cancel transaction and come out on top with no fees or anymore hassle. Can even kindly ask if he would leave you good feedback, you'll leave some in return, then you'll accept the cancel. That way at least you get positive feedback out of it.
CAS239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #21 (permalink)

Tim, you have some of the best/worst negative feedbacks ever. Did someone really leave you a negative for not leaving them feedback? And eBay would not overturn that? What the heck is wrong with people? Sorry you've had to deal with some of the buffoons.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #22 (permalink)

Yeah, I think you did the smart thing by canceling the transaction and relisting, and not daeling with the headaches of a possible return or negative feedback. Also, I really don't think you will have that hard a time of re-selling it for at least the same amount.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #23 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
Tim, you have some of the best/worst negative feedbacks ever. Did someone really leave you a negative for not leaving them feedback? And eBay would not overturn that? What the heck is wrong with people? Sorry you've had to deal with some of the buffoons.
LOL - yeah I know - that person didn't even email me first - just left me a neg for not having left him feedback yet!!!
Old 02-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartel View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I am going to take the high road and cancel the auction and relist. There are too many issues that could arise if I do not,

Thanks again!

You may want to block this buyer KCUNDERTHESUN
The way I figure is... You could wait 3 days and file a non-payment and then wait 4 days and win the case and then relist OR you can cancel the auction get your fees credited immediately and relist right away.

I agree that the buyer is getting off easy with the latter... but which is BETTER for you as the seller?
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #25 (permalink)

Never, EVER, send a high dollar card to anybody trying to back out of a deal on feebay. That's all you need to know. Just do what you did, block them, post their User ID for the world to see, and move on. Believe me, the endless crap excuses are about 1 per week for me lately. Non paying bidders, taking forever to pay for stuff on Best Offers... it's absolutely a joke what buyers can do on there. Sellers have zero ways to hold them accountable.