Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #26 (permalink)

Very cool, Aggie--really like that Hanie Black Widow and Amber's pinup.

How is your Captain America set coming along?
Old 09-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Very cool, Aggie--really like that Hanie Black Widow and Amber's pinup.

How is your Captain America set coming along?
Thanks MonkeyMcGee, I also really like the Black Widow sketch, and I think Amber and Liz did a great job working together on that puzzle (versus each artist drawing a separate pinup on each side of the puzzle like a lot of the artists did).

On the Captain America set, I now need only 6 artists, so it is more than 90% complete (I have 64 out of 70). Although I've seen some AP's from 3 or 4 other artists who weren't on UD's sketch count list, so I'm trying to figure out if they had any pack inserted sketches. I haven't updated that thread in a while, so I will try to get it updated later today. Thanks!
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #28 (permalink)

My pickups from the past couple of weeks:

2x Red Sonja AP's by Jerry Fleming

Marvel Retro sketches:

Invisible Woman by ??? / Black Widow by Freddy Lopez

Thing by ??? / Northstar by Mike Vasquez

Meghan Hetrick Marvel's Greatest Battles incentive sketches:

Ghost Rider

Doctor Strange and Daredevil
Old 10-31-2013, 05:53 PM   #29 (permalink)

Only a couple of pickups the last few weeks:

Marvel Retro:

Black Bolt by Joe Hogan / Hawkeye by Andy Carreon

Captain America movie:

Captain America sketch by Jim Cheung

Every week or two I check for Captain America sketches for my set, hoping to see one posted without the artist being identified that I would normally miss in my regular searches. While I don't need the Cheung for my set (I was lucky enough to pull 2 of them from boxes!), I got an incredible deal. Note to sellers: don't end your auctions at 2:30 PM during the week, and try to identify the artist. Otherwise, you might end up selling a Jim Cheung Captain America sketch for only $30.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #30 (permalink)

Who are you missing Aggie?
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:29 PM   #31 (permalink)

I missed the Hetrick Ghost Rider when you posted earlier--very nice, Aggie
Old 11-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #32 (permalink)

That Ghost Rider sketch is pretty awesome. Then again, Hetrick's stuff usually is.
WTB/WTTF: Emmanuelle Chriqui Cards: Americana Prime Time Stars Signature Material #19; Americana Prime Time Stars Director's Cut Signatures #19A & 19B; 2011 ITG Canadiana Onyx Base Card; and Leaf Cut Signatures.
pinhead767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
I missed the Hetrick Ghost Rider when you posted earlier--very nice, Aggie
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead767 View Post
That Ghost Rider sketch is pretty awesome. Then again, Hetrick's stuff usually is.
Thanks guys, always impressed by Hetrick's sketches, and the Ghost Rider is very cool. I was a little surprised to win it... but I guess a UK seller and ending around noon on a Saturday meant there weren't a lot of bidders. The picture doesn't do it justice, maybe I will try to experiment with my scanner and see if I can do better. I know I've read a few comments by Roy and Monkey McGee about adjusting the scanner settings, so I'll have to see if I can figure out what to do.

Anyways, here's a few more pickups:

Marvel Retro: Doctor Strange by Jeff Benitez / Norman Osborn by Lynne Anderson

Avenger's Assemble: Black Widow by Bianca Thompson (AP)

I always love Bianca's work! And I've been lucky to pick up a few AP's from her on ebay. She used a red glitter pen to put highlights in Black Widow's hair, which you can't tell from the picture. But it looks very cool in hand.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #34 (permalink)

It's not the scanner it's the editing software after you scan. Just use the contrast or levels adjustment to darken the black areas to what you can see on the actual cards. Usually the colors darken as well and look really nice. Scanners unless you have one with a lot of controls tend to scan light.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
It's not the scanner it's the editing software after you scan. Just use the contrast or levels adjustment to darken the black areas to what you can see on the actual cards. Usually the colors darken as well and look really nice. Scanners unless you have one with a lot of controls tend to scan light.
Thanks for the tip Roy! I will try it on a couple of cards this weekend and see how they come out.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
Avenger's Assemble: Black Widow by Bianca Thompson (AP)

I always love Bianca's work! And I've been lucky to pick up a few AP's from her on ebay. She used a red glitter pen to put highlights in Black Widow's hair, which you can't tell from the picture. But it looks very cool in hand.
I was on the fence about going for that card. I really like it, and would love to add a couple more Avengers Assemble sketches to my collection. Congrats. That was a good pick-up.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
This is what I do. I use Picasa to edit my scans (it's free). I typically will just hit the "I'm feeling lucky" button after I straighten and crop the card to reduce the work I have to do.

Then I got to the "Fine Tune" tab and mess with the "Shadows", "Highlights", and "Color Tint" sliders until I get something close to what the card really shows. I know that oranges and greens are weird with my scanner, so I just accept I'll never get those exactly right.

I'm sure if I paid for a proper photo editing suite I could do a lot more, but this works for me.

As for your pickups, totally agree with Spider-Fan on the Black Widow--that's a hot card
Old 11-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #38 (permalink)

For really powerful free software you can try GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program). Almost as powerful as Photoshop, bit more of a learning curve. Versions for Windows, Mac and Linux.

GIMP Homepage

I use GIMP for some things and Photoshop for others.
WTB: Michelle Baena 2013 hair cards /2 /5, 2013 National Letter E
Fenian95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I was on the fence about going for that card. I really like it, and would love to add a couple more Avengers Assemble sketches to my collection. Congrats. That was a good pick-up.
Quote:
As for your pickups, totally agree with Spider-Fan on the Black Widow--that's a hot card
Thanks Spider-Fan and Monkey McGee, the Bianca Thompson Black Widow is definitely one of my favorite pickups, and I'm glad I didn't have to fight anyone over it.

My latest pickups:

Marvel Retro:

Nicole Virella / Alex Magno / ???

Mike Vasquez / Ajahy Cerezo

And a couple more Bianca Thompson sketches:

Jean Grey from Marvel Beginnings 2 / Red Riding Hood from Grimm Fairy Tales (AP)
Old 11-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #40 (permalink)

Haha... had my eye on that Red too. Trying to be extra picky these days, and losing

Looks like you are going for a Retro parallel sketch set... yeah?
Old 11-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Haha... had my eye on that Red too. Trying to be extra picky these days, and losing

Looks like you are going for a Retro parallel sketch set... yeah?
Bianca has been posting a few AP's each week, so it's been fun picking up a few of them. I think I forgot about one that ended late last week, maybe a Lady Death?

On the Marvel Retro, yes I am slowly trying to put a base sketch set together. I have 20 so far, so one third of the set. I'm at the point where I will have to decide if I am really serious about completing the set. Originally I thought it would be a cool challenge, but over the weekend I was figuring out the cost of putting a set together, and even if I can get a lot of them for $15-20/sketch, that's still going to be a minimum of $1k. For now I will probably still try to pick up 1 or 2 cards each week and see how it progresses.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #42 (permalink)

If you are going after that Enchantress... Yeah I've been watching it but I just won a couple Cherry cards so I'm not going to bid. In fact, I think that might be the same reason I ended up not bidding on the last couple I really liked.

I've got an okay Cable and a weak Northstar if you are looking to trade.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #43 (permalink)

A coupe of pickups over the past 2 weeks:

Captain Marvel from Marvel Retro by Denver Brubaker

Lady Death vs. Shi 2-card puzzle by Ben Dunn (AE)

and a couple more Bianca Thompson AP's:

Enchantress from Avengers Assemble, Vampirella
Old 12-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #44 (permalink)

You should get your Brubaker Spiderwoman by Monday at the latest..
stewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:49 PM   #45 (permalink)

It's been a month since the last update, I've been meaning to post some of my pickups, but keep getting side-tracked. Finally getting around to doing it today.

Marvel Retro Spider-Woman sketch by Denver Brubaker

Lady Death sketch by Daniel Logan

Zombies vs. Cheerleaders sketch by Danny Devine

And my top pickup of 2013:

IDW Limited Mars Attacks sketch by NAR!

Crazy amount of details on this card, I don't know how he does it! Also got a heck of a deal on the card.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #46 (permalink)

That Mars Attacks by Nar is awesome! I think he has a YouTube video where he does a Fin Fang Foom sketch. Just absurd how detailed he is with his work.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:47 AM   #47 (permalink)

On that Nar! Wow.

Also, love the Bianca Thompson Ap's!
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #48 (permalink)

Not many sketch card pickups the past month, since I've been spending too much money on the Thor Dark World set. But I did pick up a couple of nice cards:

Lady Zorro from 5finity's Women of Zorro set by Bianca Thompson

Red Sonja by Bard

Red Sonja is one of my favorite sets, and I've never pulled or owned a sketch by Bard before, so this was a cool pickup. Pretty neat painted card.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #49 (permalink)

It's been a couple of months since my last update, and I've picked up a few nice sketches:

A couple of Captain America sketch cards for my set:

Red Skull by Cat Staggs, Silver Surfer by George Deep

Cherry sketch by Luke Smarto (RARE sketch), Fantasy Art sketch by Marcia Dye (AP)

Finally, a trio of Witchblade sketches:

Jezreel Rojales, Frank Kadar (AP), Israel Arteaga
Old 07-09-2014, 06:50 PM   #50 (permalink)

I have several sketch cards I've picked up the past two months that I need to take pictures of and uploaded, but I wanted to show off some commissions I got in this week. Only the 2nd time I've commissioned an artist, and everything went great! Marco Carrillo was auctioning off some of his AP's on ebay, and I initially won both a Cherry Series 2 AP and a Women of Marvel AP. Within 2 days of sending Marco my ideas, he provided me with pencils, and then he finished the cards a couple of days later. All in between working on sketches for an upcoming set!

I was so happy with the process and how the cards turned out, that I won a second Cherry AP and 2 more Women of Marvel AP's he had on ebay. Again, he provided pencils very quickly, and had the cards finished and mailed off within a week or me telling him what I wanted. Shipping took a bit more time than normal (since he lives in Mexico), but it wasn't too bad. I think around 2-2.5 weeks, with most of that time sitting at Mexico customs.

Cherry Series 2 AP's: one Star Wars themed and one Zombies versus Cheerleaders themed

Women of Marvel AP's: Goblin Queen, Emma Frost, Scarlet Witch