Blowout Cards Forums
Sean Bassik

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
No problem--I'm not insulted, but I did understand how you meant the term.

Part of the challenge of the sketch card is getting these figures on the small space, right? Well, if you are doing the framework you base the sketch on using a larger scale and then shrinking it down to card size, that's sort of cheating the challenge.

I agree Meghan is not doing this to the extreme that others may be where basically all they're doing is inking and coloring what they copied over, but it still seems a little out of bounds to me.

Like I said, I'm may be overly harsh about this--I acknowledge that. I just think it takes away from the finished work a little.

Meghan is obviously a crazy talented artist--I don't want anyone to think I'm challenging that.
Now I'm just trying to figure out where the line is...
If an artist worked out layouts to scale on another piece of paper and then simply referenced it, or, hell, used a grid system to keep it consistent without flat out tracing, would that be objectionable?
Old 02-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelton View Post
Now I'm just trying to figure out where the line is...
If an artist worked out layouts to scale on another piece of paper and then simply referenced it, or, hell, used a grid system to keep it consistent without flat out tracing, would that be objectionable?
To me, the tracing is the issue. Meghan is using the computer to scale the image and then using the graphite paper to transfer the scaled image.

If you are using a reference image and drawing it freehand on the sketch card, I have no problem with that.

[Inactive]
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
Thanks for the info and links Amber, that is very interesting. Before your post, I didn't really have any issues with what Meghan described, since to me it sounded like everything being added to the sketch card was being done by hand. And from what you posted, I feel even better about it, since it doesn't look like she just copies a detailed picture onto her sketch cards, just a rough outline.

I think the main reason why printing images directly onto a card is bad, is because it's being done to save time and effort. Meghan's process seems to add time and effort to the process... I think the only time she saves is that she ensures that she doesn't mess up any cards that she would have to redo.
That's exactly my sentiment, and more clearly and concisely stated than I've managed! I hear her talking about all the layouts and transferring and stuff and I'm like holy crap, cards take me too long without those steps.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #29 (permalink)

Aaaaand Meghan's about to start an artcast featuring two cards she has roughed out.
MeghanHetrick - live streaming video powered by Livestream
Old 02-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelton View Post
Aaaaand Meghan's about to start an artcast featuring two cards she has roughed out.
MeghanHetrick - live streaming video powered by Livestream
Guess I pissed her off. I'm going to seriously stop posting stuff.

JFC

[Inactive]
Old 02-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #31 (permalink)

heh i wouldn't worry Monkee mostly this stuff stems from a certain someone who likes to start crap.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
heh i wouldn't worry Monkee mostly this stuff stems from a certain someone who likes to start crap.
Thanks--and now I just noticed someone has called me out on Scoundrel for selling cards to pay my tax bill.

I think the universe is telling me to get a new hobby.

[Inactive]
Old 02-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #33 (permalink)

I would just stop reading all these forums. I don't read anything on scoundrel except what sets i'm involved in. All that bitter squabbling is enough to put anyone off any hobby.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
I would just stop reading all these forums. I don't read anything on scoundrel except what sets i'm involved in. All that bitter squabbling is enough to put anyone off any hobby.
Post of the year.
jadams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #35 (permalink)

When I was speaking of trasferring work I was talking my layouts...and I wasn't talking about printing them onto a card. Any printing on the card is completely wrong. Graphite transfer is totally NOT that. Everything on the card is done by hand not printed at all. And it's not transferring or tracing a completed drawing its basically just transferring stick figures in pencil. Now, dont get me wrong i dont do all my cards that way. Just ones with really tough compositions.

Last edited by AsylumStudios; 02-23-2013 at 11:06 PM.
AsylumStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks--and now I just noticed someone has called me out on Scoundrel for selling cards to pay my tax bill.

Called you out? For selling cards that you own? Who cares? People have nothing better to do than complain.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:

Practicing commerce in a capitalistic society?! How do you sleep at night?

lol
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:

As a dealer, he probably was mad he couldn't get to your cards in time to make a profit. Your doing nothing wrong so do what you need to do and don't waste time worrying what everyone else thinks about it.
Lak Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #39 (permalink)

Apparently the person was wondering why I would buy cards and then sell them later for less than I paid. I explained why and that this isn't something I'm happy about doing. Now, I'm letting it go.

I also got a very nice message from Meghan about why she sometimes does this technique and I have a better understanding of her reasons now.

[Inactive]
Old 02-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #40 (permalink)

[QUOTE=monkeymcgee;4332310]Apparently the person was wondering why I would buy cards and then sell them later for less than I paid. I explained why and that this isn't something I'm happy about doing. Now, I'm letting it go.

I also got a very nice message from Meghan about why she sometimes does this technique and I have a better understanding of her reasons now.[/QUOTE

I saw the actual post on the other forum.... You do what you gotta do. Nothing wrong with that. It's nobody's business what you do with what belongs to you.
AsylumStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #41 (permalink)

Don't explain or justify. That's just food for bullies. Punch em in the mouth .
Old 02-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
That is HILARIOUS! I've been away a couple of days and what a shock that I decided to catch up on this forum before venturing into Scoundrel Too funny. Having not read the posts over there yet... as a collectors I would never COMPLAIN about somebody buying high and selling low! The original seller got their price and the new buyer is getting a deal. The only person that loses in that situation is the guy buying high and selling low. Sorry to say that Monkey... your situation sucks. Its a shame that I like you and would feel bad about robbing you - I certainly have no problem doing it to other sellers who are selling sketches at auction for 1/2 or less than what they bought them for on eBay. Won't support their reselling of PSCs for a ridiculous profit though. Looks like they are buying 2-4 PSCs per artist and then listing 1 to try and cover the cost of all of them... Have they been called out in that same thread? I sure won't be calling them out... I'm happy to keep buying the 1/2 off sketch cards and letting the overpriced PSCs sit (not a character I care for anyway...). If somebody else wants to buy one of the sellers PSCs instead of commissioning the same artist for 1/4 - 1/2 the price... all I can say is that you need to practice "due diligence" as a collector

As to the original 'theme' of this thread... I've commissioned a couple of APs where the artist has done up a bunch of prelims and then "transferred" the ones I chose onto the licenses stock. I never inquired about the technique nor did I take an issue with it. I could delve into this idea deeper, from the perspective of "When is a sketch card no longer 1/1?" It is an idea I struggle with as a buyer...
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #43 (permalink)

Actually, purchasing PSC's second hand can be a benefit for the buyer depending on the artist. There are so many that flake out and don't deliver for years, that it can work out in your favor.
Igman7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igman7 View Post
Actually, purchasing PSC's second hand can be a benefit for the buyer depending on the artist. There are so many that flake out and don't deliver for years, that it can work out in your favor.
Fair point, and I'm not saying not to buy PSCs, APs, pin-ups, or anything second hand, just that the buyers should do their due diligence. On that note, buyers should practice the same when commissioning an artist.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote