Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Damaged Marvel Premier Sketch card - Does UD replace them?

Anybody know if UD will replace a damaged sketch card? Especially for such an expensive product such as Marvel Premier? Thanks!
goggletan215 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goggletan215 View Post
Anybody know if UD will replace a damaged sketch card? Especially for such an expensive product such as Marvel Premier? Thanks!
What are you considering "damage"? A pic would certainly help.
Igman7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

just a split/dinged corner. It's on the back of the card. let me see if I can get a pic up.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

I doubt it.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

And sketches are so subjective, you may well lose out on the exchange.
dpwoodford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

All of the major manufacturers hold back sketches as replacements. I'm not sure what the process is, but I'm sure if you contact UD they will guide you through it. I'm sure you have to provide some evidence that you purchased the pack (like a receipt and the UPC off the box) and the card was damaged prior to you opening it.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

You can call Upper Deck, there is a good chance they will replace damaged sketch cards. The question will be if they consider a split corner to be enough damage to warrant a replacement.

The other issue is that while they will replace a sketch card one for one, they probably won't base the replacement on value. A lot of times they keep back sketches from 1 or 2 artists (maybe because they were received too late for the pack out), not from a variety of artists. So if your sketch is a good one, it's probably better to sell it as is and just mention the corner. Since the corner doesn't affect the actual sketch in any way, it probably won't make much difference to its value.
aggie4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
Since the corner doesn't affect the actual sketch in any way, it probably won't make much difference to its value.
I have to disagree with that statement. I think the damage will have a HUGE impact on its value for selling, although it might not impact your value as part of your personal collection. I personally wouldn't consider paying even 50% of the value were it near mint.

Allegedly the sketch cards are randomized and then a portion is held back... At least for the majors - UD, RA, Topps... Technically you have just as much chance of getting a "hit" as you do opening a box. I don't know what truth there is to that.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would tend to agree with the monetary impact being minimal if the actual art is not effected.

Quote:
I think the damage will have a HUGE impact on its value for selling, although it might not impact your value as part of your personal collection. I personally wouldn't consider paying even 50% of the value were it near mint.
With all due respect, this is a much more a sport card mentality. It is very common for sketch cards to have issues from being extensively handled by the artists. My guess is that the sketch would retain about 80% of it's undamaged value.
Igman7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

I would love to see said sketch card. Might be an awesome sketch, and if that's the case, I don't see that corner being a problem either. Sketch cards are not bought to be held and flipped or graded and flipped. Many times, if not most, a sketch is bought to be held onto and collected. I know if I liked a sketch enough, a corner like that would not phase me.
Brobocop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

The water damaged Melike Acar AP that sold for more than $500 on eBay (and I believe $500 was the original purchase price) would say that these guys are correct. Although I personally feel otherwise.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thank you for the help guys! It's just a Aredevil sketch card. Check my last Marvel Premier box break and you can see a pic there. I think I'll take my chances and send it in. Wish me luck!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

If its that Kaiser then, yeah I'd probably take my chances with a replacement too. Good luck!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
If its that Kaiser then, yeah I'd probably take my chances with a replacement too. Good luck!
Harsh! Body blow.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote