Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Default What group break would you join?

Can't seem to get a group break off the ground so I must be picking the wrong products. What group break would you be looking for and participate in?

Here are the choices:

Big Bang Theory
- Still a lot of interest

Benchwarmers Hot for Teacher
- Hot Chicks!

Walking Dead comic set 2
- one sketch per box and chance at redemption cards
there isn't any info yet on this so it may have to wait.

Rittenhouse Marvel Greatest Battles
- Guaranteed 2 panel sketch in every box, inserts and multiple parallels

Forgot to make this a poll but right now there are:

5 for Big Bang Theory

5 for Benchwarmers

1 for Walking Dead

0 for Marvel Greatest Battles

Last edited by ifish73; 03-14-2013 at 10:15 AM. Reason: added makeshift poll
ifish73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would probably do the walking dead comic S2. Depending on buy in price and how many participants.

Don't know how many cases are left out there, but a Big Bang Theory Season 3-4 break would be popular I'd imagine
CAS239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Big Bang Theory Season 3-4 draft
THE_BEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

there was just a bbt hit draft and it filled in like an hour. i'm sure there would still be interest

If the auto isn't on-card, it might as well be in-person.
MeetJSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'd probably join a Benchwarmer one more than anything else
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

I would join a Benchwarmers one
tazfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think BBT and Benchwarmers are always popular, so it shouldn't be hard to get a group break going with one of those.

If you are looking to do a sketch card based product, it's a little harder because so much of the value is in the sketch cards (and a lot of people who would join only want to hit a sketch). For example, on your Batman break, only half the hits are sketches. So I think it's important what you do with the other cards in the break. I haven't joined your Batman break because I have no use for a box worth of base + inserts, and that makes up half your hits. A box of base is good in that you should get at least a set out of it. But a handful of random inserts is no good unless you happen to need a couple to complete a set. It's much better to get sets of inserts, because you can at least sell a set on ebay. You can't sell individual insert cards for the most part.

On your Batman break, my suggestion on handling the base and inserts would be something like this:

1 hit - all of the foil parallel cards
1 hit - all of the Batcave insert cards
1 hit - all of the Batmobile insert cards
1 hit - all of the Carnival of Criminals insert cards
6 hits - each for 2 boxes worth of base

This makes the base and insert slots a better value IMO... in fact, you normally get an entire set of foil parallels per case, so that slot may actually be one of the best ones you can draft. On the other 3 insert sets, you usually get enough for 2 complete sets, I haven't checked in a couple of months, but I thought they were selling decently at ~$10/set. Having 2 less slots does make the price go up a little, but I think it makes more of the slots appealing.

If you get extra hits (sketches or redemption or plate), then the boxes of base that would have been drafted last can be split between the other base slots, making those slots a little better.
aggie4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
I think BBT and Benchwarmers are always popular, so it shouldn't be hard to get a group break going with one of those.

If you are looking to do a sketch card based product, it's a little harder because so much of the value is in the sketch cards (and a lot of people who would join only want to hit a sketch). For example, on your Batman break, only half the hits are sketches. So I think it's important what you do with the other cards in the break. I haven't joined your Batman break because I have no use for a box worth of base + inserts, and that makes up half your hits. A box of base is good in that you should get at least a set out of it. But a handful of random inserts is no good unless you happen to need a couple to complete a set. It's much better to get sets of inserts, because you can at least sell a set on ebay. You can't sell individual insert cards for the most part.

On your Batman break, my suggestion on handling the base and inserts would be something like this:

1 hit - all of the foil parallel cards
1 hit - all of the Batcave insert cards
1 hit - all of the Batmobile insert cards
1 hit - all of the Carnival of Criminals insert cards
6 hits - each for 2 boxes worth of base

This makes the base and insert slots a better value IMO... in fact, you normally get an entire set of foil parallels per case, so that slot may actually be one of the best ones you can draft. On the other 3 insert sets, you usually get enough for 2 complete sets, I haven't checked in a couple of months, but I thought they were selling decently at ~$10/set. Having 2 less slots does make the price go up a little, but I think it makes more of the slots appealing.

If you get extra hits (sketches or redemption or plate), then the boxes of base that would have been drafted last can be split between the other base slots, making those slots a little better.
That would reduce the break by only two spots. I will post it up there to see if they want to make a change. I am also going to buy a spot and donate it to Team Connor so hopefully that will be enough to put it over the top.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post

think about if you started a cheaper Benchwarmer break. There is a case of 2008 Benchwarmer from another site that can be bought at $365 and there are at least 120 autograph and other hits. You could get a large group of people going and each will get several hits
Old 03-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

BBT theory filled quick and the draft was fun!
http://s421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/Koppper/Sports%20Card%20Collection/
Koppper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to AceGambit3 Send a message via MSN to AceGambit3

So I take it the Castle break isn't happening LOL.
AceGambit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

I dig what Aggie is saying. I saw the batman break and thought about it for a while, but at the end of the day I didn't think the cost of entry was worth it considering that really only the top 2 slots would walk away winners. I thought my money would be better spent just buying a box.

I might be interested in a IM3 group break - pending the final auto and sketch artists list.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:07 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwal View Post
think about if you started a cheaper Benchwarmer break. There is a case of 2008 Benchwarmer from another site that can be bought at $365 and there are at least 120 autograph and other hits. You could get a large group of people going and each will get several hits
Im pretty sure that all group drafts/breaks that happen on this site, must be product that was purchased from blowout. If you want to do that 2008 benchwarmer case, you would need to have it hosted on a different forum (nscf would work).
Old 03-14-2013, 02:37 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_BEAST View Post
Im pretty sure that all group drafts/breaks that happen on this site, must be product that was purchased from blowout. If you want to do that 2008 benchwarmer case, you would need to have it hosted on a different forum (nscf would work).

I know, that's the sucky part in that Blowout doesn't even hardly put in prices for any of the Benchwarmer products. If they did they might actually have more purchases on their site of Benchwarmer
Old 03-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwal View Post
I know, that's the sucky part in that Blowout doesn't even hardly put in prices for any of the Benchwarmer products. If they did they might actually have more purchases on their site of Benchwarmer
I thought that if it says product info on the website with no prices they are out of stock. At least every time I check about a product like that it is usually out of stock.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #16 (permalink)

Put a makeshift poll in the OP. I will submit the winner for a break this weekend.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

If I did a BBT break would this breakdown work?

Autographs = 12 hits

Wardrobe and Dual Wardrobe cards = 20 hits

2 different insert sets, 1 hit for each type = 2 hits

12 boxes worth of base cards, should yield 12 base sets, 2 sets per hit = 6 hits

If there are any extra hits then the lower hits will be combined (i.e. if there is one extra hit than there will be one combined hit of one insert hit and one base hit or two base hits).

That should make the spots right around $34.25 for the first spot and $32.25 for additional spots.

Taking advice from above if I try and make 12 base hits or break the insert hits down to 4 hits to increase the total number of hits and lower the slot price it will decrease the value too much and not garner as much interest.

Last edited by ifish73; 03-14-2013 at 11:25 PM.
ifish73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #18 (permalink)

If we do Big Bang Theory, we should do a 3 case draft. There would be all sorts of goodies. All the freaks would come out to join up on that. I bet it wouldn't even take 2 days to fill all 100+ slots.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:03 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
If we do Big Bang Theory, we should do a 3 case draft. There would be all sorts of goodies. All the freaks would come out to join up on that. I bet it wouldn't even take 2 days to fill all 100+ slots.
That does sound like a lot of fun (and work!).

If the breakdown above looks good it would just triple the numbers. I am pretty sure it would increase the amount of base sets due to extras per box.

Figure on 120 hits with a guess of at least 6 extra base sets.

Also if BO has enough in stock and it keeps filling we can keep adding cases!
Old 03-15-2013, 12:15 AM   #20 (permalink)

I just checked and it looks like they only have 1 case and 12 boxes available. Im sure they either have more, or can get more for around the same price. Put it up for discussion here Testing Waters for Group Case Breaks - Blowout Cards Forums and just see if there is an interest in something so big.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:21 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
I just checked and it looks like they only have 1 case and 12 boxes available. Im sure they either have more, or can get more for around the same price. Put it up for discussion here Testing Waters for Group Case Breaks - Blowout Cards Forums and just see if there is an interest in something so big.
I saw that there was only one case on the web-site so I sent an e-mail asking if there was more than that one case available for a group break. After I hear from them I will post something.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #22 (permalink)

alright, cool
Old 03-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #23 (permalink)

The testing thread is up for a two case Big Bang Theory break. If you are interested please take a look.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #24 (permalink)

Still trying to garner enough interest in the BBT break

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/t...hit-style.html

If I get a few more people to express interest I will submit for an actual break.

I really wanted to do a Marvel Greatest Battles set but the price is too high to make it worth it. A slot price would be almost $50.

Walking Dead Comic series 2 is still too far away to put up a testing thread but as of right now that would be pretty expensive as well. $950 a case. It would be split up 12 sketches, 2 different insert sets and the base cards. 12 hits for sketches but how many for base and inserts. Maybe 2 slots for each insert set (boxes 1-6 and 7-12) and 6 slots for base (2 boxes each). That makes 22 slots at $48.50 first and $46.50 each extra.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #25 (permalink)

The Walking Dead comic break would be even more because I'm pretty sure you have to buy the case through Blowout to do a case break. So $1,234 last time I looked. Edit: nvm I see they did lower the price. About time lol, it was pretty high before

I'd be interested in the BBT break if it wasn't an 80 person break. Maybe cut that in half to 40. I can see more people being interested. Paying more, but your chances are that much better since its a 2 case break. However for me to join it would need to be done in another 2-3 weeks or so.

If anything to draw more you can just decide to do a 1 case BBT break and lower the amount of spots. Can't speak for all, but I think some people are turned away due to the buy in, even if it is 2 cases.

Last edited by CAS239; 03-29-2013 at 02:53 PM.
CAS239 is offline   Reply With Quote