Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #301 (permalink)
Member
 
CAS239's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Fort Myers, Florida
Posts: 2,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchcardn00b View Post
Thanks every for the responses and info! I usually read the forum posts, but I fell behind and missed out completely on this set. I will have to go and sign up for that newsletter cause these last couple of sets I have seen have been amazing.
You didn't miss out on this set..there's a second wave of preorders coming. No specific date yet, but should be soon
CAS239 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #302 (permalink)
Member
 
Pop Phenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksam View Post
what are the ticket cards for? ... redemption for anything?

or just that
Those are insert (or relic) cards for the set.
__________________
You can see and "Like" my sketch card collection here ------> https://www.facebook.com/PopPhenomsSketchCardCollection
Pop Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #303 (permalink)
Member
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavojohn View Post
Assume a cat-like state of readiness while watching both computers at all times. Or you could subscribe to this thread, I usually %&#$ myself when they're back in stock and post about it on here.
Buy first. Then post. Make sure to include in your post since you have already gotten yours at that point.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #304 (permalink)
Member
 
Hellfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 421
Default

I'm a huge fan of what Viceroy is trying to do for collectors, and a big advocate of the brand all together. I hope they takes this with a grain of salt.

Those ticket cards seem a little gimmicky to me. Not a big fan.
__________________
"Principles only mean something if you stand beside them when it's inconvenient"
Hellfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #305 (permalink)
Member
 
monkeymcgee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 7,274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfish View Post
I'm a huge fan of what Viceroy is trying to do for collectors, and a big advocate of the brand all together. I hope they takes this with a grain of salt.

Those ticket cards seem a little gimmicky to me. Not a big fan.
I think it's an interesting variation on the stamp cards they were doing. In the end, it's all a bonus anyway.
__________________
Collecting: money in the bank
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:07 AM   #306 (permalink)
Member
 
ViceroyCards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfish View Post
I'm a huge fan of what Viceroy is trying to do for collectors, and a big advocate of the brand all together. I hope they takes this with a grain of salt.

Those ticket cards seem a little gimmicky to me. Not a big fan.
It's cool. Honestly we just happened to come across these tickets a few weeks back, and thought it would be fun to toss them in the set. They aren't meant to be anything elaborate, just a fun little addition. Why test new things and stick them in a drawer here, when we can give them to you guys instead? In fact, we're trying new things with all of our inserts this time around. Maybe you guys will enjoy them, maybe not... either way we'll continue to try new things and make opening our packs an enjoyable experience.
ViceroyCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #307 (permalink)
Member
 
Deathgate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bolivia, NC
Posts: 1,690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViceroyCards View Post
It's cool. Honestly we just happened to come across these tickets a few weeks back, and thought it would be fun to toss them in the set. They aren't meant to be anything elaborate, just a fun little addition. Why test new things and stick them in a drawer here, when we can give them to you guys instead? In fact, we're trying new things with all of our inserts this time around. Maybe you guys will enjoy them, maybe not... either way we'll continue to try new things and make opening our packs an enjoyable experience.
We're not just collectors, we're product testers!

From what I've seen, I'm not really much on the ticket cards, either, but that's just because I'm comparing them to the Cryptids Yeti stamp cards and the Space! stamp cards, both of which knocked it out the park, design-wise. That doesn't mean I won't try to chase down as many of the ticket cards I can to squirrel away in my Viceroy box. They'll be like my ugly stepchild: I may not bring them out into the light of day very often, but that doesn't mean I love them any less than the others.
__________________
My Sketch Card Collection: http://www.sketchcollectors.com/gallery.php?user_id=39

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #308 (permalink)
Member
 
dd316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfish View Post
Those ticket cards seem a little gimmicky to me. Not a big fan.
Aren't carnivals supposed to be gimmicky?
__________________
MY ARTWORK - tdastick.deviantart.com
dd316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #309 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Aren't carnivals supposed to be gimmicky?
Checkmate!

If I can add my two cents, I will say that -- and this is not an attack on Viceroy -- the pins and tobacco buybacks from Space! did not really retain any value. You can search through eBay auctions or even here on the forums and I think they lacked any indication that they were from the Viceroy set. So the problem is that they are worth about as much as they were before they were used in the Viceroy set. I totally love them but even having a short print card on which to mount the pins on or an enclosing card for the buyback tobacco would have made them unique. Hell, even a hand numbered card that came with the tobacco cards would have been nice.

So while the tickets may seem gimmicky, they are also completely new material and certainly unique to this product. So my opinion is that from a value standpoint, they will fare much better than the pins or buyback. The problem with the stamp cards is that everybody got them. That's not really a problem but I feel their value was diminished because they came with a totally awesome sketch card often worth more than you paid for the pack. So their perceived value was less than a dollar. Yes, I'm the guy that's sitting on hundreds of them and I love flipping through them and looking at space themed stamps from around the world.

That said, hit me up if you're "unlucky" enough to pull a ticket card, I'm sure we could work out a price
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #310 (permalink)
Member
 
John91C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 4,375
Default

This doesn't seem to "gimmicky" to me...but then again I got it for my wife who is a HUGE Elvis fan!

__________________
Photobucket (not always up to date): http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t199/John91C/
John91C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #311 (permalink)
Member
 
ViceroyCards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavojohn View Post
Checkmate!

If I can add my two cents, I will say that -- and this is not an attack on Viceroy -- the pins and tobacco buybacks from Space! did not really retain any value. You can search through eBay auctions or even here on the forums and I think they lacked any indication that they were from the Viceroy set. So the problem is that they are worth about as much as they were before they were used in the Viceroy set. I totally love them but even having a short print card on which to mount the pins on or an enclosing card for the buyback tobacco would have made them unique. Hell, even a hand numbered card that came with the tobacco cards would have been nice.

So while the tickets may seem gimmicky, they are also completely new material and certainly unique to this product. So my opinion is that from a value standpoint, they will fare much better than the pins or buyback. The problem with the stamp cards is that everybody got them. That's not really a problem but I feel their value was diminished because they came with a totally awesome sketch card often worth more than you paid for the pack. So their perceived value was less than a dollar. Yes, I'm the guy that's sitting on hundreds of them and I love flipping through them and looking at space themed stamps from around the world.

That said, hit me up if you're "unlucky" enough to pull a ticket card, I'm sure we could work out a price
The pins and tobacco cards were something we liked and added late in the run, but simply didn't have enough time to embed them in a card. When it comes to relic cards, 95% are created for sets by companies like Cartamundi, who unfortunately won't work with us yet because our volume needed is too small. This leaves us at a slight disadvantage when we want to do a small run of relic cards in a short time frame. Trust me, we'd love to float the tobacco cards similar to Allen & Ginter framed minis for example, but we just don't have that equipment yet. However, we thought they were cool and wanted to give a little added bonus to the packs. Like has been said before, all these add ons are just little things we thought we cool and would make opening the packs more fun and interesting within each theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathgate View Post
We're not just collectors, we're product testers!

From what I've seen, I'm not really much on the ticket cards, either, but that's just because I'm comparing them to the Cryptids Yeti stamp cards and the Space! stamp cards, both of which knocked it out the park, design-wise. That doesn't mean I won't try to chase down as many of the ticket cards I can to squirrel away in my Viceroy box. They'll be like my ugly stepchild: I may not bring them out into the light of day very often, but that doesn't mean I love them any less than the others.
We had much more time working on the Space and Cryptids stamp cards, as those were basically the 'base' cards with cool stamps added to them. For Carnival, I literally had about half a day to design the card and submit it to printers so it would be done in time without delaying release for an add on. Overall, I'm ok with the layout, although if I had more time there was a bit more I would have liked to do with them. But again, I'd rather add something fun to the set late and try new things, instead of just sitting back once a set sells out and not continue to try and make it better.
ViceroyCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #312 (permalink)
Member
 
ViceroyCards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 393
Default

On a side note... the 2013 Licensing Expo is coming up next week, where we'll be attempting to secure properties for card sets. Would you guys be interested in a little 'behind the curtain' look via a forum thread on here, with pics and stuff from the expo?
ViceroyCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #313 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViceroyCards View Post
On a side note... the 2013 Licensing Expo is coming up next week, where we'll be attempting to secure properties for card sets. Would you guys be interested in a little 'behind the curtain' look via a forum thread on here, with pics and stuff from the expo?
Man, if there's one thing I've really found horrible about Viceroy cards it's how transparent and engaging they are with their fans. </sarcasm>

Yes. I didn't even know that a "Licensing Expo" was a thing!
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #314 (permalink)
Member
 
ViceroyCards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavojohn View Post
Man, if there's one thing I've really found horrible about Viceroy cards it's how transparent and engaging they are with their fans. </sarcasm>

Yes. I didn't even know that a "Licensing Expo" was a thing!
If you have an iphone, download the Licensing Expo 2013 app. It'll show you every agency there, and all the brands they represent. You should also be able to browse them on the actual Expo website.

If you see anything cool, let me know and we'll stop by and talk to them.
ViceroyCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #315 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViceroyCards View Post
If you have an iphone, download the Licensing Expo 2013 app. It'll show you every agency there, and all the brands they represent. You should also be able to browse them on the actual Expo website.

If you see anything cool, let me know and we'll stop by and talk to them.
Ah yeah, could you stop by booth B135 and ask them on a scale from one to Standard Oil how anti-competitive is their exclusive licensing with MLB?

I will have to flip through these later and come up with something serious, I actually recognize some of these companies.
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #316 (permalink)
Member
 
monkeymcgee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 7,274
Default

I think eldavojohn needs a Jester card--the man is a joke machine
__________________
Collecting: money in the bank
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #317 (permalink)
Member
 
ashelton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 440
Default

I just glanced through the first page and I'm like... dude, Crayola. I want to do cards in crayons. Or colored pencils and Crayola markers, though that seems like cheating. Crayons. Really. LOL
__________________
art - http://www.facebook.com/ambernshelton
ashelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #318 (permalink)
Member
 
ashelton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 440
Default

Dr. Seuss! ...I don't think Hallmark would like where most sketch artists would go with theirs. Lisa Frank, lol... '90s sticker chase cards. Didn't classic Nickalodeon cartoons make one of the "sets you'd like to see" lists? I'd totally do a SEGA set if I could draw Shining Force characters and Sonic the Hedgehog.

Okay, there's me totally not helping. As you were!
__________________
art - http://www.facebook.com/ambernshelton
ashelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #319 (permalink)
Member
 
dd316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelton View Post
I just glanced through the first page and I'm like... dude, Crayola. I want to do cards in crayons. Or colored pencils and Crayola markers, though that seems like cheating. Crayons. Really. LOL
Jim Kyle did a sketch card using crayons, it came out awesome!
__________________
MY ARTWORK - tdastick.deviantart.com
dd316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #320 (permalink)
Member
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViceroyCards View Post
On a side note... the 2013 Licensing Expo is coming up next week, where we'll be attempting to secure properties for card sets. Would you guys be interested in a little 'behind the curtain' look via a forum thread on here, with pics and stuff from the expo?
My company will be there shopping too (not me though). I think there would be a lot of interest from your fans in helping to chose the licenses you pursue. I know that I'd really like to see you guys pick up a license that I'm interested in, and would be happy to give some feedback on the options you are considering.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #321 (permalink)
Member
 
Hellfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Aren't carnivals supposed to be gimmicky?
yes, but they aren't supposed to SEEM gimmicky.


Now maybe a ticket card where you could actually pull the ticket out and possibly get a redemption or possibly....that would be sweet!!
__________________
"Principles only mean something if you stand beside them when it's inconvenient"
Hellfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #322 (permalink)
Member
 
ricksam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: usa
Posts: 3,396
Default

@hellfish .. that was what i asked way up there .. is it just a ticket or more

at those carney shows there are games to win stuff - pulling a ticket to win something would suit this set so well
__________________
WTB/fs: Giftcards, PSP movies/games|FS: sketch cards: http://cardbucket.blogspot.com
WANT LIST http://cardbucket.blogspot.com/p/wants.html
NOW: 9/29M: 1 pending |OWE: partials 2 NSCF
im around, tired and busy w nonhobby stuff
ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #323 (permalink)
Member
 
KevinCaptiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sketchfield USA
Posts: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfish View Post
Now maybe a ticket card where you could actually pull the ticket out and possibly get a redemption or possibly....that would be sweet!!
That actually would be really cool and would fit in well with the set.
__________________
Fan of the NY Giants, Mets, Rangers, Knicks, St. Johns Redmen, and Notre Dame Fighting Irish.
http://sketchcollectors.com/gallery.php?user_id=746
KevinCaptiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #324 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 25
Default

Yeah, like redeem a ticket for a mini stuffed animal that is wearing a t-shirt embroidered with the Viceroy logo or something! Trade two small stuffed animals in for a medium one, and three medium for the jumbo prize! ha!


Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksam View Post
@hellfish .. that was what i asked way up there .. is it just a ticket or more

at those carney shows there are games to win stuff - pulling a ticket to win something would suit this set so well
zedd2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #325 (permalink)
Member
 
ViceroyCards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 393
Default

If anyone is in Las Vegas, stop by the Amazing Las Vegas Comic Con at South Point Casino and say hi to us at Ashleigh Popplewell's table!

Also stop by and visit Viceroy sketch artists Mike Vasquez, Mark Dos Santos, and Autumn Frederickson at their tables!
ViceroyCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.