Blowout Cards Forums
Shop OneStopFanShop.com Today!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #126 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by John91C View Post
For what it's worth...I used to buy up 5Finity.
The reason I don't is because they use the same artists over and over and over again thus you get multiple sketches that do nothing.

Then they started a "membership" program to where you had to pay hundreds just to be able to buy packs...meaning pay the membership fee and you will have 1st shot at the new release packs. Membership fee + paying for the packs...EPIC FAIL in my book. I won't look at another 5Finity pack again!
You are completely misinformed. The membership INCLUDES packs - to the tune of being credited the entire membership fee toward them. In other words, if the membership is $1000.00, you get 50 packs "included." So you just paid the same price of $20 per pack. Sheesh.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #127 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Unless you continue adding chase artists in the same ratio you add the less popular artists. Then you keep the proportions roughly the same.
I don't believe that can be done. In fact, the trend is the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Dealers won't care if they can't reliably get more than one case. Most dealers aren't going to waste their time on one case because the margins aren't there.
What do you think, Tim? I would guess if you thought you could buy a case of Carnival for $260 and turn the 10 sketches for $500+, you would probably give it a shot. And that just assumes you can sell the packs sealed for $50 each when the product dries up. BO has proven that is the case with Space.

I think anybody who is dealing in the premium sketch card arena would consider picking up a case of these, even if it is just a case. If collectors want it and you are confident product is going to dry up fast, then there is money to be made.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #128 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I don't believe that can be done. In fact, the trend is the opposite.
We're trying to do this, but there are many obstacles to overcome when trying to get those big name artists. Also, the list of 'chase' artists is not set in stone, and can grow/shift even over the course of a few months.

As one example, Kristina Sepulveda is an artist who had never been on a sketch set, or had any highly publicized work in comics. However, we liked her style and were able to put her in a position where her Space sketches were some of the most chased and highly sold sketches in the entire set, often outselling the case hits.

We're not just trying to lure highly collectable artists to join our sets. We are also trying bring artists to the attention of collectors, with new styles and fresh approaches. When we build an artist list, yes we could fill it with many artists who do solid comic book or manga style work. However, we think it's important to bring variety by including artists with different styles, medium choices, and ideas on the set theme.

We are even contemplating a future set where every single artist is brand new to sketch cards. The price point could be a touch lower than normal as well to entice collectors to take a chance on fresh artists and discover new favorites.
ViceroyCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #129 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViceroyCards View Post
We're trying to do this, but there are many obstacles to overcome when trying to get those big name artists.
hehe You don't have to explain yourself to me. I understand the challenges. I just don't think some of the fans are fully realizing the implications of what they are asking for.

More sketch cards = good*
(*if the sketch cards are good)

My personal thoughts are that for sketch card sets (i.e., one sketch per unit) that 400-600 is a really strong number. I think if you want to go to 1000 without lessening the overall quality of the set, the best route is to look beyond sketches. Make sketches an important part of the set, but not the only thing. If only 6-8 units out of a 10 unit case contain sketches, you can increase your production by 20-40% without adding more sketches. The challenge is finding that thing that people will be happy with just as much as a sketch. Is it a limited numbered print card, holo, lenticular, whatever tricks you have up your sleeve? Is it autos or relics/costumes/etc? It will depend on the nature of the set.

I'm confident it can be done and be successful. I also think those inserts will be more appealing when it comes to licensing.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #130 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
You are completely misinformed. The membership INCLUDES packs - to the tune of being credited the entire membership fee toward them. In other words, if the membership is $1000.00, you get 50 packs "included." So you just paid the same price of $20 per pack. Sheesh.
That's not what I was told when I inquired about the membership 2 years ago. They may have changed the way it was from 2 years ago but when I initially asked he told me the membership fee is just that a fee and then you had dibs on a certain % of packs depending on membership level. With that membership level you were granted so many packs that you still had to purchase. If the member decided to pass on them then they go directly to the next level and so on...if all members pass on them then it goes out to people who are on the mailing list.

The way you are explaining it sounds like you get 50 packs ($1000 membership) with every release...how would they control who gets what for every release, they have about 2-4 releases a year. Does each release mean you get the "50" packs every time?
Old 05-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #131 (permalink)

I can't speak for 2 years ago, but...

2012 Membership - There was a solicitation for members early in Jan 2012. There were 3 different levels of membership which required purchasing a certain number of Kitty Ditties & Pretty Ladies packs. The different levels of membership were guaranteed certain percentage of the packs for all the other releases plus options for 'members only' specials. I do not think you were required to purchase the other products, just guaranteed first shot at a certain number of packs before the solicitation opened up to non-members. For Cherry (400 packs), non-members could only get up to 10 packs (2%). The lowest level members could get up to 22 packs (4%). The top two levels could get up to 4% and 6% (about 44 or 66 packs) from that release.

2013 Membership - There was a solicitation in January. To be a member you had to purchase a specific number of Women of Zorro packs. The levels were reduced to two (Gold and Silver) and there were a limited number of spots at each level. Same benefits - guaranteed packs, member exclusives, etc... but no requirement to buy any other packs.

I passed on membership this year. I'm sure I'll regret it when I can only buy a couple of packs of something I want, but the offerings just didn't excite me - mostly pin-up sets.

Last edited by Spider-Fan; 05-17-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #132 (permalink)

that was the solicitation I received as well and when I E-mailed (Frank I believe) he told me packs were not included in the price of the membership. You still had to buy the packs on top of the membership. Meaning the lowest level could get 22 packs (4%) meaning they could buy up to 22 packs...having the membership did not give you 22 packs. It all started at the highest level...they were given the 1st option to "buy" the maximum # of packs allowable at that level...if there were any left over then it was offered to the next level down...and so on until all the members had a chance to buy, if any left over then E-mail list got a chance to buy them.

Again this was when I E-mailed him asking him directly if the membership included the packs. He told me they do not. He said having that membership level means you are guaranteed a certain # of packs to "purchase". You were not given packs just because you were a member. You had the opportunity to buy the maximum # of packs available for your level, whether it was platinum, gold, silver (or whatever the levels are called).

Platinum members were allotted 50 packs
Gold allotted 25 packs
Silver allotted 10 packs
Allotted meaning you were given the option to buy up to 50 packs. All the membership benefits meant you were given 1st shot at getting the maximum # of packs...it did not include the packs.

Were you a member in 2012? If so which level were you? I would like someone to chime in who actually had a membership and to see if packs were given to them with their membership or if they had to buy them.

Again this came directly from the head person for 5Finity (based in Tacoma, I think) and if I remember correctly his name was Frank.

Edit: Found the E-mail for 2013; Sounds like you got the 1st release for free (up to a certain amount) then you had to buy for all other releases.

This year we will streamline the allocation program. A 5FINITY membership allows you to automatically have packs of our releases reserved for you. Whether or not you decide to take all or some of your allocation will be at your discretion. This allows you to not have to worry about missing out on our limited and sought after product. There will be two levels this year, the Platinum Level and the Gold Level.

Platinum Level: $720 - Includes forty (40) packs of The Women of Zorro release (tentative summer release), as well as our annual holiday sketch card and a five card Cherry promo set of trading cards (one of only ten sets produced); you also get 5% of every pack run reserved

Gold Level: $360 - Includes twenty (20) packs of The Women of Zorro release (tentative summer release), as well as our annual holiday sketch card; you also get 3% of every pack run reserved

This works out to be $18 per pack for The Women of Zorro. Also, Platinum and Gold Level members receive special offers throughout the year that others will not. There are ten Platinum memberships available and twelve Gold memberships available. The Women of Zorro will be a 750 pack release.

If you do not have a membership, orders will be available on a first come, first serve basis with a pack cap of 10 packs per release.

Membership payments are due by January 31, 2013, but orders paid before January 15 receive an Early Pay Incentive (a ten card promo set featuring various 5FINITY licenses, of which no more than 22 can be produced).

Contact us quickly, these memberships line up with what were sold last year, but there might be more demand this year and they will be sold on a first come, first serve basis. Please ask any questions.

Last edited by John91C; 05-17-2013 at 07:36 PM.
John91C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #133 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
That's not what I was told when I inquired about the membership 2 years ago. They may have changed the way it was from 2 years ago but when I initially asked he told me the membership fee is just that a fee and then you had dibs on a certain % of packs depending on membership level. With that membership level you were granted so many packs that you still had to purchase. If the member decided to pass on them then they go directly to the next level and so on...if all members pass on them then it goes out to people who are on the mailing list.

The way you are explaining it sounds like you get 50 packs ($1000 membership) with every release...how would they control who gets what for every release, they have about 2-4 releases a year. Does each release mean you get the "50" packs every time?
There was NEVER a fee just to be a member - it always came with the equivalent of sealed packs at a $20 per pack price point. I just threw the 50/$1000 out there for simple math. There are three different levels of membership: the highest one gets the most packs, etc. Only one release ties into the membership. First year it was Kitties; this year Women of Zorro. After that you are free to buy what you want and as a member have first dibs on purchases. It's a great program.

Viceroy sounds very much like 5finity in a lot of ways and that's a compliment.

Spider: heck yes I am buying one case of this (or two if I spread it around, wink wink). Now if I were limited to five packs, I have to admit I don't think I'd bother. I guess a sealed 10-box case is the minimum i'd take to be on board.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #134 (permalink)

lets move this to its own thread for the sake of Ryan and the Carnival fans please
Old 05-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #135 (permalink)

Carnival cases available on Blowout for $299.95 ...
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #136 (permalink)

wow no discount with BO
Old 05-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #137 (permalink)

Quote:
wow no discount with BO
Why do you think that is not a discount? You are assuming they would sell individual boxes for $30. I'm guessing they will ask a minimum of $35 to start. Individual boxes of Space sold for up to $50.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #138 (permalink)

Quote:
wow no discount with BO
I actually thought it would be worse. I think a lot of people will wait to see if they can get one from the other site when they go on sale again. Then those who miss out again will come back here and the price will have gone up. Just my prediction. I think $300 is fair and I also think this set will do much better than Space. The landscape pictures and some of the space sketches all looked the same IMO. Characters are more interesting and less redundant.
Frankp2311 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #139 (permalink)

Solarfly was $264.99 for a case and it doesn't matter because I think BOC is sold out!
Old 05-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #140 (permalink)

you can't compare SolarFly to BO. We all knew BO would be more $$, the only question was how much more.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #141 (permalink)

BO is sold out. What the actual fu..!

Three freaking packs, that's all I wanted...

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.

Last edited by Deathgate; 05-17-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #142 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
you can't compare SolarFly to BO. We all knew BO would be more $$, the only question was how much more.
BO's next wave will be $349.99 I'd guess. Not sure why some of you thought cases weren't worth $300. I'd venture a guess they're worth closer to $400 in fact, if sales are anything like SPACE was.
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #143 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujobyte View Post
BO's next wave will be $349.99 I'd guess. Not sure why some of you thought cases weren't worth $300. I'd venture a guess they're worth closer to $400 in fact, if sales are anything like SPACE was.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #144 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViceroyCards View Post
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #145 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
There was NEVER a fee just to be a member - it always came with the equivalent of sealed packs at a $20 per pack price point. I just threw the 50/$1000 out there for simple math. There are three different levels of membership: the highest one gets the most packs, etc. Only one release ties into the membership. First year it was Kitties; this year Women of Zorro. After that you are free to buy what you want and as a member have first dibs on purchases. It's a great program.

Viceroy sounds very much like 5finity in a lot of ways and that's a compliment.
For the record, 5finity used to have a "platinum partners" program for those who purchased the maximum allowed for every product (I believe you were allowed to miss 1 or 2 over a certain span). I was a member of that group but when the membership program was introduced for 2012 and the requirement for membership was to pre-buy a certain level of packs for Kitty Ditties & Pretty Ladies, which was to be a mid-year release, I opted out. To me, it was a kick to the neather regions for those who spent several thousands over a couple of years to have to "re-qualify" for membership. That is why I now pick and choose which 5finity products I purchase. I have nothing personally against Steve as he was a "game changer" for the small press folks and Ryan and many others can learn how to have a fairly stable following in the niche marketplace.

Back to being "on topic", congrats to Viceroy on the quick sell-through with both of their authorized dealers! Perhaps I will try to score a case during the 2nd wave, once more details come out.
Igman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #146 (permalink)

Next preview batch...

Note on the Lee preview, I took actual photographs of her cards. They are really amazing in person, with multi-layers and a gloss coating. They just don't scan well enough to show that off.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #147 (permalink)
Tim

i pounced on a case today for $300 - i think the next wave here will be $400.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #148 (permalink)

Who knew the real Sideshow would be in this thread?

Old 05-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #149 (permalink)

Love seeing some new artists names, and loving the previews, hoping I can get a preorder in on the next go...missed BO's as well.

I was really expecting more than $300 from BO though as well.
Mystafet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #150 (permalink)