Blowout Cards Forums
Football promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #151 (permalink)

This stuff looks great! Look forward to the Katie Cook previews
wesnilevirus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:45 PM   #152 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Fun facts:

Our first ever orders (Cryptids), came in on the same day just minutes apart, on July 8th, 2012. These were by Graham and then his brother Adam (PopPhenom on here). 3 packs followed by 5 packs.

Our second order came the next day for 5 packs by Kenneth in NC.

Then we had to wait over 2 weeks for the next order, which was by Marty (of Marty and Boo fame, among other stuff) on July 25th, for 10 whole packs! That was a long 16 days.

After that the orders came in at about a couple per day, until they really took off after collectors started posting their breaks. It only took 2 days to sell out after that happened.
ViceroyCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #153 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViceroyCards View Post
Fun facts:

Our first ever orders (Cryptids), came in on the same day just minutes apart, on July 8th, 2012. These were by Graham and then his brother Adam (PopPhenom on here). 3 packs followed by 5 packs.

Then we had to wait over 2 weeks for the next order, which was by Marty (of Marty and Boo fame, among other stuff) on July 25th, for 10 whole packs! That was a long 16 days.

After that the orders came in at about a couple per day, until they really took off after collectors started posting their breaks. It only took 2 days to sell out after that happened.
That's awesome--I came very close to buying 5 packs of Cryptids when you first announced on here, but I ended up winning a very expensive auction that evening and didn't have the dough. And then I forgot to go back later
Old 05-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #154 (permalink)

I think I bought 5 or 6 packs of Cryptids when it was announces. Skipped Space but now I'm all in with Carnival!
Old 05-17-2013, 10:53 PM   #155 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
i pounced on a case today for $300 - i think the next wave here will be $400.
I guessed the same thing, and Ryan said I was wrong lol.
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #156 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John91C View Post
I think I bought 5 or 6 packs of Cryptids when it was announces. Skipped Space but now I'm all in with Carnival!
You are Viceroy Collector #11!

Cujo ordered right after you, he's #12.

Yes, I made a list. Yes, it may be for something special later on.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:11 PM   #157 (permalink)

Quote:
You are Viceroy Collector #11!

Cujo ordered right after you, he's #12.

Yes, I made a list. Yes, it may be for something special later on.
Now I need to know what number I am!
wesnilevirus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:16 PM   #158 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesnilevirus View Post
Now I need to know what number I am!
#31... although I still need to double check. Some people placed 2 and 3 small orders before it got to you, and I think I took out all the duplicates. Once we get passed the top 15 or so I need to double check all the dates.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #159 (permalink)

Quote:
Fun facts:

What a fool I was, I waited until July 31st to put in my order for Cryptids, and only for 3 packs. Then it took me over a week to up it to 10 packs.
aggie4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #160 (permalink)

Viceroy - You guys made a conscience decision to sell everything to two internet retails so that you could focus on making sets instead of on selling and distributing. The first time didn't go as planned. That doesn't mean it was the wrong decision to make. You will learn from it and put better precautions in place next time.

Your product is hot, everybody wants their piece.
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #161 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Viceroy - You guys made a conscience decision to sell everything to two internet retails so that you could focus on making sets instead of on selling and distributing. The first time didn't go as planned. That doesn't mean it was the wrong decision to make. You will learn from it and put better precautions in place next time.

I think the 2 retailer decision wasn't so bad in the end. It's given collectors 2 outlets for purchase, with better ordering, shipping and logistics than we had set up. I mean, we also had offers from the local hobby and comic shops to buy the entire print runs as well. We could have very easily just sold everything here in Las Vegas, hand delivered it, and be done with it. We gave them zero, so we could give everything to you guys.

The retail option is to make it available to anyone, worldwide. Selling locally or self distributing is great and it even gives us better margins, but it does little in the long run. We're trying to build up to bigger and better things. We want to be able to do 500-1000 pack niche sketch sets, always. But we also want to do licensed sets, not just comic licenses either.

Myself, I was always a sports collector, so I would love to build up to get a sports license of any sort. We can't do that self distributing. Building relationships with major online retailers is huge. This is why we came to the Blowout Forums community instead of Scoundrel, etc. I came from the sports side. I know for the most part what sports collectors are interested in, and building a firm base with them via our initial releases will only help us in the long run.

Or, we'll go down in a spectacular blaze of glory... and we're taking everyone with us!
Old 05-17-2013, 11:56 PM   #162 (permalink)

Quote:
I think the 2 retailer decision wasn't so bad in the end. It's given collectors 2 outlets for purchase, with better ordering, shipping and logistics than we had set up. I mean, we also had offers from the local hobby and comic shops to buy the entire print runs as well. We could have very easily just sold everything here in Las Vegas, hand delivered it, and be done with it. We gave them zero, so we could give everything to you guys.

The retail option is to make it available to anyone, worldwide. Selling locally or self distributing is great and it even gives us better margins, but it does little in the long run. We're trying to build up to bigger and better things. We want to be able to do 500-1000 pack niche sketch sets, always. But we also want to do licensed sets, not just comic licenses either.

Myself, I was always a sports collector, so I would love to build up to get a sports license of any sort. We can't do that self distributing. Building relationships with major online retailers is huge. This is why we came to the Blowout Forums community instead of Scoundrel, etc. I came from the sports side. I know for the most part what sports collectors are interested in, and building a firm base with them via our initial releases will only help us in the long run.

Or, we'll go down in a spectacular blaze of glory... and we're taking everyone with us!
I missed Cryptids,got in the end of Space( although I think I made up for it with my Curd Sculpture collection But I have a case of Carnival on order. And I think you guys are doing things the right way.I am a former sports card collector as well. Love your stuff,your methods and your partners. And I just shake my head when people complain about how you run things. I mean after all it's your company,isn't it? KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.....
spacefanmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #163 (permalink)

I thought I got into Cryptids early but maybe not. Bought 2 packs first and then 2 again after I received my first two. Should have got more. Got 5 space and finally getting my first case with them. Loving the previews so far.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:17 AM   #164 (permalink)

Quote:

Spider, seriously what do you propose them to do!? Everyone knew what time to order, and those with the fastest fingers got their cases. Same as buying comic con tix in SDCC. Trust me, it's a hell of a lot better than dealers getting it all, and seeing $400 cases up on the bay.
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #165 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujobyte View Post
Spider, seriously what do you propose them to do!? Everyone knew what time to order, and those with the fastest fingers got their cases. Same as buying comic con tix in SDCC. Trust me, it's a hell of a lot better than dealers getting it all, and seeing $400 cases up on the bay.
I was responding to Viceroy's post "I MADE A MISTAKE". I do not think they made a mistake.

You have clearly misread what I have written because you have a preconceived opinion that everything I have to say is negative.

But if you SERIOUSLY want to know what I propose them do, its simple. Negotiate an MSRP that both Blowout and SolarFly will agree (by contract) to stick to for pre-sales. NOTE: The entire run doesn't have to be sold during pre-sales, that % can also be negotiated. This time around SolarFly got screwed out of a bunch of money basically. Cujo, have some foresight. SolarFly isn't going to keep selling cases at $260 while BO sells them at $300 and still sells out quickly. When SolarFly raises their price to $300 and still sells out in minutes, BO in turn will raise their price to $350. These things will end up at $400/case soon enough, without dealers buying a single box.

Viceroy is clearly not thrilled about the price increase he saw. I'm certain they will go back and determine how best to make everybody (both the online retailers and the end consumers) happy. My point was simple - Don't throw in the towel and start handling the orders yourself again. You can make this decision work. My proposal might be effective. There are other ways too.

And for the record, I'm perfectly happy with first come first serve. One of the reasons I like the use of a third party for selling is that is takes the emotion out of it. Oh well SolarFly sold out before I got there. Can't blame that on Viceroy. And none of that shady business where 'friends' are exempt and get whatever they want without sitting at their computer waiting for the second orders open to get theirs in.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #166 (permalink)

The 'I've made a huge mistake' is a joke from Arrested Development. I don't actually think we've made a huge mistake. It was just a silly reply to Cujo saying he thinks cases are worth $400, and we sold them lower.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #167 (permalink)

Spider relax bro jeez...
rip+flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #168 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip+flip View Post
Spider relax bro jeez...
I think you guys are reading too much into what Spider's writing Just because he's disagreeing doesn't mean he's being negative or getting worked up... though continually telling someone who's not worked up to calm down is - in my experience - an excellent way to work them up
Old 05-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #169 (permalink)

Yeah, I think people mis-interpreted what Spider-Fan originally said. I didn't take it to mean he disagreed with the new distribution method, it looked to me like he supported them trying to change and was just saying that because it wasn't as smooth as it could have been, Viceroy Cards should not scrap it, and instead make modifications based on what they learned.

I think the new method actually worked decently. Yes, I was sad to miss out on the Solarfly cases since they sold out so fast, and I was sad not to be guaranteed any product even though I have supported Viceroy Cards from the beginning. But I had plenty of opportunity to buy a case from BO for $300. If you are into the theme, $300/case is still a good price. I personally wasn't into Carnival as much as a lot of others, so I passed. Now if we had been talking Cryptids or Space for $300/case, I would have bought.
aggie4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #170 (permalink)

Thanks guys.

I don't think further explaining myself to clarify = getting worked up. But hey... things get lost in text without tone.

I was never interested in this set (mostly due to the 'no clowns' thing) so everything I have said is completely unbiased. I have no stake in the success or failure of this set. I would like to see Viceroy be successful and do some stuff I am interested in buying though, because it seems like they have their act together and put out a quality product. I wish some of the other guys would follow suit and sell through a third party to eliminate the messiness and favoritism that happens with some of the distributions. BO wants to make money. I'm sure they will be agreeable to case limits, set pre-sale pricing, etc... as long as they get what they feel is a fair cut of the $$. If not, seems like SolarFly is more than happy to do it.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #171 (permalink)

Quote:
I was never interested in this set (mostly due to the 'no clowns' thing)...
You like clowns, this explains everything! haha just kidding
Old 05-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #172 (permalink)

I'm saving my money for Carnival 2: Just Clowns. That or Clown Car Craziness... Whichever comes first
Old 05-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #173 (permalink)

Nearly there...

Old 05-19-2013, 01:54 AM   #174 (permalink)

Talking

Quote:
Nearly there...

Cool:-) you guys rock!!!
spacefanmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #175 (permalink)

Talking

Quote:
Fun facts:

First! haha
zedd2k is offline   Reply With Quote