Blowout Cards Forums
Start Your Reign of Domination Now with GetTheMachine.com!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #201 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Glad you were able to score your packs
So am I. I was in such a slimy funk yesterday, I didn't even log into Blowout to see if they had any available. It was probably the first day in months that I didn't even scan through the forums.

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #202 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Ever hear of supply and demand?
Erm..yes?

But on waves of product like this, I'm not expecting a site to increase price on the second wave. If it's something licensed like Walking Dead or Big Bang then I'd expect it

If they want to increase price, do it on the first wave right out the gate. Of course being so limited it's going to sell out fast. No sense in selling for basically retail, then upping price after. But like I said, I don't see Solar increasing price. And mixed with the fact it was stated before Solar would be selling close to retail and Blowout would be selling for a little more.

If its more than $300 on the second wave, then congrats to others cause my case will still be up for sale since I won't buy it.

Knew I probably should've just went ahead and bought in the first wave to be sure lol
CAS239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #203 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS239 View Post
Erm..yes?

But on waves of product like this, I'm not expecting a site to increase price on the second wave. If it's something licensed like Walking Dead or Big Bang then I'd expect it

If they want to increase price, do it on the first wave right out the gate. Of course being so limited it's going to sell out fast. No sense in selling for basically retail, then upping price after. But like I said, I don't see Solar increasing price. And mixed with the fact it was stated before Solar would be selling close to retail and Blowout would be selling for a little more.

If its more than $300 on the second wave, then congrats to others cause my case will still be up for sale since I won't buy it.

Knew I probably should've just went ahead and bought in the first wave to be sure lol
A word of advice to anyone planning on buying from Solarfly - Make a site account before the packs come up for sale. With that first wave, I had started checking out within 30 seconds of the preorders going live. They sold out before I made it through all of the checkout pages. If I had made an account, I would have checked out a lot quicker, and probably gotten my packs then.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #204 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathgate View Post
A word of advice to anyone planning on buying from Solarfly - Make a site account before the packs come up for sale. With that first wave, I had started checking out within 30 seconds of the preorders going live. They sold out before I made it through all of the checkout pages. If I had made an account, I would have checked out a lot quicker, and probably gotten my packs then.
Definitely.

I tend to try to make an account on every site I know I'm about to buy something off of just to be on the safe side.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #205 (permalink)

Matt at Solarfly confirmed price of second wave will be $375 a case

Jk lol..he said it'll be the same price as first wave *jumps for joy*
Old 05-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #206 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS239 View Post
Matt at Solarfly confirmed price of second wave will be $375 a case

Jk lol..he said it'll be the same price as first wave *jumps for joy*
From a business perspective, that just doesn't make sense. They are basically just throwing money away

Granted... there may be things going on behind the scenes that we are not aware of
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #207 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
From a business perspective, that just doesn't make sense. They are basically just throwing money away

Granted... there may be things going on behind the scenes that we are not aware of
Nothing behind the scenes really, we just worked together and increased their allotment slightly to have at least 1 source that was always at MSRP. This offset the need for them to sell fewer cases at higher prices to make a decent amount of profit overall.

We had several options for releasing this set. The Amazing Las Vegas Comic Con is June 14th, 15th, and 16th. One plan was to sell the entire set there exclusively at a booth.

We're also friends with the local hobby and comic shops. We had plans distribute part the set through them. This is where the extra came from for SolarFly, along with some we were holding back for direct.

One thing to understand is that we distribute to Blowout because of you guys. We were part of this community when collecting, and we wanted to do everything we could to make our cards available on Blowout. This allows our products to reach the largest collector community, many of which are our friends. If we didn't sell through Blowout, I really doubt we'd be able to have a strong presence on these forums, and hardly anyone here would even be interested in Viceroy. It's a trade off for added exposure, and putting our cards in front of as many collectors as possible.

Complaints about only 2 sources seem a little silly, when the 2 sources are one of the biggest online card retail dealers in the country, and one of the major non-sport dealers as well. Would you rather try to call every single hobby/comic shop in Las Vegas, ask to place an order for our cards, be told there is no online ordering, and very few who will take orders over the phone? That sounds a lot worse than trying to place an order quickly at MSRP, or paying a bit over MSRP and making sure you get some.

Sometimes, companies just want to make a fun product and get it out to as many people as possible, as fairly as they can. Higher profits will come in time, if collectors continue to enjoy our products.

Last edited by ViceroyCards; 05-21-2013 at 06:51 PM.
ViceroyCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #208 (permalink)

As consumers, we have one true voice: our wallets.

If people complain about a price but then turn around and still order a case at higher than MSRP, then they are giving clear, undeniable evidence that the product is worth what they're paying. If they didn't, they simply wouldn't buy it at that price; plain and simple.

You can't really fault BO for trying to find what the market believes is the fair value on the cards. While it's obviously a great opportunity for anyone to get it for less through Solarfly, I don't think it's really fair to paint BO as a villain here.

Plus, the "S" in "MSRP" stands for "Suggested". It's always been little more than a recommendation.
bmemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #209 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViceroyCards View Post
Nothing behind the scenes really, we just worked together and increased their allotment slightly to have at least 1 source that was always at MSRP.
Isn't that what behind the scenes means Which certainly was above and beyond on your end, considering you guys sell out and make the same regardless of how much the retailers charge.

I'm not sure why anybody is complaining about there only being two sources. All the other premium sketch companies only have 1 source. Unless I'm missing something... but you can't presale 5finity, Asylum, Perna, Marty & Boo, or Badaxe from any online or local retailer. Just the company that sells them. So 2 = twice as many distribution channels, plus no funny business when my order doesn't get filled but your bestest buddy's does.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #210 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Isn't that what behind the scenes means Which certainly was above and beyond on your end, considering you guys sell out and make the same regardless of how much the retailers charge.
The point is, we're not doing it behind the scenes. We've said that was the plan last week, and again today. We're open about the process. Behind the scenes would be just doing it and not explaining the reasons why. It seemed like a good idea to bring a level of transparency to the whole process, and invite collectors behind the curtain. I'm beginning to see why so many companies enjoy keeping that curtain closed haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmemike View Post
Plus, the "S" in "MSRP" stands for "Suggested". It's always been little more than a recommendation.
I agree. We priced them at $26.99 because we thought that was the price where someone who wasn't even interested in the subject matter could buy a pack, and still have an enjoyable experience opening the product. They wouldn't feel like they took a heavy loss, or got 20% resale value on a box, or anything like that. That's how we price it: "How much should a pack cost that no matter what they pull, they still have fun opening the box and don't feel cheated".

Last edited by ViceroyCards; 05-21-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #211 (permalink)

If you're attending the Phoenix Comicon this weekend, stop by table #1724 and visit our Art Director, Ashleigh Popplewell! She'll be there selling her work, and might even have some extra Viceroy promo cards to hand out to anyone who asks.

She has a very limited amount of Carnival, Insectae, The Deep, Cryptids Series 2, and Space! promos (signed by Gary Kezele).
Old 05-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #212 (permalink)

Quote:
If you're attending the Phoenix Comicon this weekend, stop by table #1724 and visit our Art Director, Ashleigh Popplewell! She'll be there selling her work, and might even have some extra Viceroy promo cards to hand out to anyone who asks.

She has a very limited amount of Carnival, Insectae, The Deep, Cryptids Series 2, and Space! promos (signed by Gary Kezele).
I'm really looking forward to The Deep and Insectae!!!! Pretty sure you should release one of them while I'm in Vegas in August...I'll just pick up my order from you :-)
Mystafet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #213 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystafet View Post
I'm really looking forward to The Deep and Insectae!!!! Pretty sure you should release one of them while I'm in Vegas in August...I'll just pick up my order from you :-)
We're going to try! Those 2 sets will be produced at the same time, and then the releases will be staggered slightly. We'll have more updates on those once Carnival ships next month.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #214 (permalink)

Quote:
We're going to try! Those 2 sets will be produced at the same time, and then the releases will be staggered slightly. We'll have more updates on those once Carnival ships next month.
Why not just ship Carnival early and then we can have info sooner?

Seems like win-win?
bmemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:27 AM   #215 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmemike View Post
Why not just ship Carnival early and then we can have info sooner?

Seems like win-win?
lol....A for effort =)
Mystafet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:30 AM   #216 (permalink)

stop.....posting..... sketch......cards.......of...side-show.....freaks..... or...I.... will.....have...to....BUY......SOME!!!!
Old 05-24-2013, 02:59 AM   #217 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarkbrown View Post
stop.....posting..... sketch......cards.......of...side-show.....freaks..... or...I.... will.....have...to....BUY......SOME!!!!
Lol,I might no where you could possibly get a good trade for some
spacefanmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #218 (permalink)

Quote:
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #219 (permalink)

Old 05-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #220 (permalink)

Gee, thanks for making me follow after Nina's AWESOME cards!!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #221 (permalink)

Aaah, I'm covered in BEES!

Old 05-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #222 (permalink)

Do you have any preview of the Katie cooks.
rice71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #223 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathgate View Post
Aaah, I'm covered in BEES!
THE BEES!

Also (NSFW) but this video always brightens my day.
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #224 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice71 View Post
Do you have any preview of the Katie cooks.
You're a psychic! Are you sure you weren't in the Circus yourself?

Here's the Katie Cook preview:

Old 05-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #225 (permalink)

Crap- I MUST have that Beard of Bees card!!! I might have to put a bounty out on that one.
Magickyak is offline   Reply With Quote