Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Woohoo No More Squirrel Girl on Rittenhouse official card sets

Just reading over the specs on the new set(s) from Rittenhouse I'm doing cards for and saw that Squirrel Girl is no longer allowed in sketches. Bought time.
Stupidest Character created at Marvel, Don't know if this is an RA thing or a Marvel thing that extends to Upperdeck.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Interesting...I only know one person that collects that character, and I think most of the Squirrel Girl sketches that were done were done for him. He's going to be really disappointed.
Colm Feore, Idris Elba, Kat Dennings
Chuck Bartowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bartowski View Post
Interesting...I only know one person that collects that character, and I think most of the Squirrel Girl sketches that were done were done for him. He's going to be really disappointed.
Yeah, I was just thinking of him while reading that and this came to mind:

I mean, honestly there are a lot of stupid characters--why would she be singled out?
Old 04-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Never worked for Rittenhouse, but doesn't their NDA apply to the details of the contract and guidelines as well as the set and cards like just about every other company?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelton View Post
Never worked for Rittenhouse, but doesn't their NDA apply to the details of the contract and guidelines as well as the set and cards like just about every other company?
Probably but this requirement has been in place for a few sets now so it's not a secret. I just found out today is all. Probably applies to Upperdeck Marvel properties as well.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

is it possible that marvel/disney now longer owns the rights to squirrel girl? when is the last time she appeared in a book?
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

So these are worth a gazillion dollars now?

MONEY! Actually this is kinda sad...
BHotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
I mean, honestly there are a lot of stupid characters--why would she be singled out?
Squirrels are terrible animals. They are members of rodentia and are the same ilk as rats, mice, marmots and other pests. They taste terrible and they're extremely invasive. The only reason they're not exterminated like rats is people perceive them as "cute."

In short, Squirrel Girl should be a sidekick to this dude:

eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

While I agree about how stupid the character is, she's still in the Marvel Universe. I wonder why the decision was made to single her out?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

I always seem to pull sketches of the most "who the heck is that?" type characters. It is nice to have sets with a variety of characters, but sometimes it is way too broad. I can't figure out why nobody wants my Hypno Hustler card from Spider-Man Archives.
Darth Smittyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
While I agree about how stupid the character is, she's still in the Marvel Universe. I wonder why the decision was made to single her out?
I did not know this ... from her wikipedia entry:

Quote:
Her ability to control squirrels is surprisingly effective and has allowed her to defeat major supervillains.
It suddenly dawns on me why I only gravitated to very few comic books and superheros as a kid.

I want to see her paired up with Aquaman. You know so they can ... take care real problems like zebra mussels and boll weevils.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Could be the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy movie with Rocket Raccoon. Maybe Disney didn't want any more cutesy animal type characters floating around. RR will be compared to the Raccoon from Over the Hedge voiced by Bruce Willis though.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Skaughtt0 Send a message via AIM to Skaughtt0

Quote:
Maybe she's going to get killed off in the near future
Skaughtt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaughtt0 View Post
Maybe she's going to get killed off in the near future
She fights Twig Man who, in his final moment fears she will scratch him annoyingly so he snaps his own forearm like a twig in defense. This startles Squirrel Girl and she jets off into a busy street and gets 8/9ths of the way across before deciding she needs to turn back and winds up completely flattened by a tire.

Sorry, I had to.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavojohn View Post
She fights Twig Man who, in his final moment fears she will scratch him annoyingly so he snaps his own forearm like a twig in defense. This startles Squirrel Girl and she jets off into a busy street and gets 8/9ths of the way across before deciding she needs to turn back and winds up completely flattened by a tire.

Sorry, I had to.
Legitimate LOL on that one

Whenever I hear "Squirrel Girl", I think of that line from the Beck song "Whiskeyclone, Hotel City 1997":

Quote:
She can talk to squirrels
coming back from the convalescent home
staring at sports cars
crying
Old 04-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Legitimate LOL on that one

Whenever I hear "Squirrel Girl", I think of that line from the Beck song "Whiskeyclone, Hotel City 1997":
Jeff Beck? Oh, wait, the lyrics make absolutely no sense, must be that perdedor :-D

Sorry, I'm in a ribbing mood today ...
Old 04-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

Excellent!

Crap for trade-
https://picasaweb.google.com/103658828018382987910
NonSportsCardForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavojohn View Post

Sorry, I had to.
Now that is funny, I'm tearing up as I laugh here.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #19 (permalink)

Is it possible that a certain blogger/collector upset a certain art director on the Scoundrel forums and thus Squirrel Girl was banned from every being drawn on a Rittenhouse Archive blank again? That would be HILARIOUS.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Is it possible that a certain blogger/collector upset a certain art director on the Scoundrel forums and thus Squirrel Girl was banned from every being drawn on a Rittenhouse Archive blank again? That would be HILARIOUS.
now that would make sense
Old 04-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Seems a bit far fetched. I would think Marvel/Didney had something to do with it.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
Seems a bit far fetched. I would think Marvel/Didney had something to do with it.
I do agree with you. Nonetheless, I can think of at least one artist that giggled with glee when he read the opening post.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #23 (permalink)

weird ban ...
maybe the AD can shed light on why she was put on the no-no list

i gotta read some threads over on scoundrel board in case i missed something

she might be getting her own set and dont want her overused by artists .. like how i think batman was limited in the dc 52 set ... maybe a Squirrel Girl Archives set like spiderman and xmen is in the works

Last edited by ricksam; 04-04-2013 at 10:21 PM. Reason: typo
ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #24 (permalink)

I haven't any idea but I was told that SG was also not allowed in Rittenhouse, Marvels Greatest Battles set, also, which I did quite a few cards for so everyone gets a shot at one. Those MGB's AP's are going to be fun to work on. I may open open one or two commissions for them.
One reason could be the inclusion of the character in card sets the character has no business being in.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
Bought time.
You bought time? What, to cover you from breaking your NDA? How much time did you buy?

sketchcardsaloon.com
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote