Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaughtt0 View Post
I was into photography for a while, a big part of making a living off art is knowing how to sell yourself and your work. Many of the APs on ebay are listed poorly. The average consumer doesn't know what they are going to receive, thumbnails make an AP look the same size as a card, artists don't always include a provide a good overview of their portfolio, people scroll past a blank card, keywords are missing from the titles...

Artists need to remain firm on the value of their work. If you list a piece with a "buy it now" price, you only need 1 person to click the button. Keep your price reasonable and wait 'til someone gets their tax return, ebay bucks or other fun money. I'd even recommend selling via your personal website instead of ebay because you know the people that find your site are interested in your artwork and not just the series of sketch cards. Plus your sale wouldn't be mixed in with a bunch of search results for cards.
I think that's all good advice, but several of the people who mentioned they experience have had pretty good success with APs in the past and were recently having trouble moving them.

I totally agree about using BIN though and I've shared that with a couple artists who I've seen get hurt by auctions. With BIN you only need 1 person to want it at that price. To get the same thing with an auction you need at least 2 people who want it for that price during the brief period your auction is running. For APs, that's just too much to leave to chance IMO.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaughtt0 View Post
I was into photography for a while, a big part of making a living off art is knowing how to sell yourself and your work. Many of the APs on ebay are listed poorly. The average consumer doesn't know what they are going to receive, thumbnails make an AP look the same size as a card, artists don't always include a provide a good overview of their portfolio, people scroll past a blank card, keywords are missing from the titles...

Artists need to remain firm on the value of their work. If you list a piece with a "buy it now" price, you only need 1 person to click the button. Keep your price reasonable and wait 'til someone gets their tax return, ebay bucks or other fun money. I'd even recommend selling via your personal website instead of ebay because you know the people that find your site are interested in your artwork and not just the series of sketch cards. Plus your sale wouldn't be mixed in with a bunch of search results for cards.
My only comment on this would be that the number of artists selling their AP cards on eBay is a tiny percentage of those doing sketch cards for sets. Even the ones that are its usually a last resort. They can reach many more people through eBay than traffic to their website, facebook, blog, e-store, deviantART or whatever. Even then, a good portion of what goes up on eBay is old. I inquire with many artists about APs/returns (whatever you want to call them) and outside the really big names most of them have a lot of old stuff available. And I mean old - several years old.

I think a bigger part of the problem for them is there just isn't enough money to go around. Nobody is willing to pay $150 for an AP, oversized or not, from an artist if they can pick up sketch cards from that artist for $10-20. And most APs are not oversized.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #78 (permalink)

I would say that a lot of artists are really busy and doing AP commissions is a task. It's kinda hard to get an AP in when you jump from one set to the next. When I started sketch cards I could turn my AP's over fairly quick as i was only working for one company. Now not so easy. But I do have 5 AP's that I'm drawing that I will be selling soon.
justice41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
I would say that a lot of artists are really busy and doing AP commissions is a task. It's kinda hard to get an AP in when you jump from one set to the next. When I started sketch cards I could turn my AP's over fairly quick as i was only working for one company. Now not so easy. But I do have 5 AP's that I'm drawing that I will be selling soon.
I honestly think you are more the exception than the rule. Many of these artists want to sell their APs as quickly as possible and not sit on that money - they lower their asking price, run sales on DA or their e-store, list on eBay, etc... Again, I'm not talking the 'high demand' artists that can sell their APs for top dollar with an expected 6-8 mo+ turnaround time. Of the 130 (or so) artists that contributed cards to Marvel Bronze Age, how many do you think sold all of their APs? Its certainly past prime time to sell them, with MGB coming out in a matter of days.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #80 (permalink)

There is always someone who will buy a good AP. I just think it sucks we always get our AP's/AE's well after the prime/peak selling period which is the release day. Only Upperdeck gives us an op to make some deals ahead of the release. MGB will give me an op to sit on even bigger AP's. Hyuck
Old 04-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
There is always someone who will buy a good AP. I just think it sucks we always get our AP's/AE's well after the prime/peak selling period which is the release day. Only Upperdeck gives us an op to make some deals ahead of the release. MGB will give me an op to sit on even bigger AP's. Hyuck
I fully agree with this.

I often wonder why many artists let the cards sit blank instead of just doing a hell of a sketch and then trying to sell that. I guess I understand both perspectives... I think if it were me I just wouldn't want to leave the cards blank very long knowing the next set is just around the corner. No commissions, time to try to entice a sale
Old 04-11-2013, 01:34 AM   #82 (permalink)

It is far easier for me to buy a commission rather than a 200.00 VOC sketch. I think the market is very flooded but it is just the same cards over and over as well.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:37 AM   #83 (permalink)

It's hard to just sit and draw when you have other things to do especially if your competing with yourself, in that there are still stacks of your pack cards floating around. Commissions may be a pain but it is instant cash and for some, fairly simple to get done. Assigned blanks have to be done blank AP's not so much unless you count on that money as part of your payment.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:39 AM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artiodactyla View Post
It is far easier for me to buy a commission rather than a 200.00 VOC sketch. I think the market is very flooded but it is just the same cards over and over as well.
Characters yes card sets no. It's what happens when the same artists are on virtually every card set.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Assigned blanks have to be done blank AP's not so much unless you count on that money as part of your payment.
But that is the bulk of your payment right? So if you aren't doing them, you are working really really cheap. I know that you probably have enough other freelance work going on to pay the bills, but these younger artists trying to get in and hoping sketch cards turn into something more profitable probably don't have much else going on and are depending on that money.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #86 (permalink)

I don't look at it as part of my payment anymore not since my 3rd set in. It's just extra money. Good money but it's a lot of time out of my day doing them so no I don't look at them that way anymore. Or like I said I wouldn't have any.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #87 (permalink)

Remember one thing. The artists who talk most often on message boards are the odd ducks of the bunch. They do not speak for the majority. They speak mostly just to hear themselves speak. It helps them feel important!

sketchcardsaloon.com

Last edited by Rian Fike; 04-11-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian Fike View Post
Remember one thing. The artists who talk most often on message boards are the odd ducks of the bunch. They do not speak for the majority. They speak mostly just to hear themselves speak. It helps them feel important!

And that goes for the collectors too!!!

sketchcardsaloon.com
Old 04-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
And that goes for the collectors too!!!

But only a few of us have blogs

Old 04-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
But only a few of us have blogs

That doesn't stop the blogless from starting new threads!!!

sketchcardsaloon.com
Old 04-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
That doesn't stop the blogless from starting new threads!!!

At least people actually read the new threads from the blogless

Man, I feel like I should be going to recess soon or something...
Old 04-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #92 (permalink)

I think this topic is quite interesting. As someone who just got into the sketch card world only a few months ago when I sell an item I don't keep for my PC I am finding it difficult to make a determination on a starting price. I try to look at the completed listings, but recently they are all over the place. I don't have as much knowledge as many on the forums when it comes to artist identification and pricing, which some may find as the problem area for valuations. But honestly I am still finding my way and with so many sets coming out and new artists being introduced its hard to keep up.
sketchcardn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #93 (permalink)

Rian: I was kidding around, I hope you know. I actually do read your blog pretty regularly
Old 04-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
At least people actually read the new threads from the blogless

Man, I feel like I should be going to recess soon or something...
Well, if you want to compare our private parts... Okay!

I started the Sketchcard Saloon in October of 2010. Been around for 30 months. Currently 586,048 hits over that period of time.

This thread, with the five of six people who are posting included, not so much.

Recess Time!!!

sketchcardsaloon.com
Old 04-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Rian: I was kidding around, I hope you know. I actually do read your blog pretty regularly
I know that, my friend. This is all fun and games, or else I would not enjoy it so much.

sketchcardsaloon.com
Old 04-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchcardn00b View Post
I think this topic is quite interesting. As someone who just got into the sketch card world only a few months ago when I sell an item I don't keep for my PC I am finding it difficult to make a determination on a starting price. I try to look at the completed listings, but recently they are all over the place. I don't have as much knowledge as many on the forums when it comes to artist identification and pricing, which some may find as the problem area for valuations. But honestly I am still finding my way and with so many sets coming out and new artists being introduced its hard to keep up.
It's very tricky at first. When I was still selling I made quite a few mistakes early on with sketches. Some key factors are of course the artist, but also the subject. Some characters you'd expect to go higher than others like Spider-Man, Batman, Wolverine, etc. Some might surprise you because there are one or more big collectors, like Scarlet Witch, X-23, and Green Goblin.

And then the product can be a factor as well, especially if that artist had a very low sketch count for that particular release.

A lot you end up learning with trial and error, but we have some pretty good knowledge around these parts if you ever have specific questions. We may not give you the exact valuation, but I bet we can give you a pretty good guess based on current values.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #97 (permalink)

For me, I spend whatever it takes to get a card that is so amazing that I would be happy keeping it for the rest of my life and giving it to my grandkids when I die.

All the rest is just business, and business doesn't float my boat.

sketchcardsaloon.com
Old 04-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #98 (permalink)

The market flutters like crazy. For me, its a matter of how much the card is worth to me. I have a bunch of cards I have no real interest in keeping in my collection, but the way that the market is I'd rather keep them than give them up for their current market value. I don't care to hold onto my Pina CWC, but for $5 I'd rather it sit in my binder than somebody elses. Its that simple for me. For the most part, a buyer usually comes around. If not, oh well...
Old 04-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
It's very tricky at first. When I was still selling I made quite a few mistakes early on with sketches. Some key factors are of course the artist, but also the subject. Some characters you'd expect to go higher than others like Spider-Man, Batman, Wolverine, etc. Some might surprise you because there are one or more big collectors, like Scarlet Witch, X-23, and Green Goblin.

And then the product can be a factor as well, especially if that artist had a very low sketch count for that particular release.

A lot you end up learning with trial and error, but we have some pretty good knowledge around these parts if you ever have specific questions. We may not give you the exact valuation, but I bet we can give you a pretty good guess based on current values.
Thanks for the info monkey! I know I have made a couple mistakes so far. I know I had a Perna sketch from the Kree-Skrull Wars set that I listed for what I thought was a high price, but was sold in about a minute. After some research I found he was quite popular and I lost out on about $100, but such is life. Thanks again for the info and keep a look out for some questions, .
sketchcardn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchcardn00b View Post
Thanks for the info monkey! I know I have made a couple mistakes so far. I know I had a Perna sketch from the Kree-Skrull Wars set that I listed for what I thought was a high price, but was sold in about a minute. After some research I found he was quite popular and I lost out on about $100, but such is life. Thanks again for the info and keep a look out for some questions, .
That's funny. One of the first sketches I busted out of a box was a Perna Ms. Marvel. I don't really collect her so I thought about selling it, but it was just inked and those typically sell for less so I decided I'd rather hold onto it than sell it. Turns out it probably would have sold for over $100 when I was thinking at the time that I'd be lucky to get $25. Glad I didn't think it was worth selling at $25 (although I'm sure it would have made somebody very happy)... still have it in my collection and its not going anywhere unless its a trade