Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #26 (permalink)

Anybody else catch Ingrid Hardy's?

eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavojohn View Post
Anybody else catch Ingrid Hardy's?
I hope to catch 'em all! Especially the Vader and Dagobah scene.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #28 (permalink)

Just a general inquiry to the artists... does Topps give you more time to do these than other companies or is the subject matter that much more compelling? I'm just saying, in general, the Star Wars sketches seem to all have high levels of detail and depth. I mean, that third sketch on the top from Ingrid Hardy looks like something Eyvind Earle would have done. Just absolutely amazing. I'm looking forward to busting the case I have ordered every day after seeing these incredible sketches...
Old 07-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #29 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28 View Post
Just a general inquiry to the artists... does Topps give you more time to do these than other companies or is the subject matter that much more compelling? I'm just saying, in general, the Star Wars sketches seem to all have high levels of detail and depth. I mean, that third sketch on the top from Ingrid Hardy looks like something Eyvind Earle would have done. Just absolutely amazing. I'm looking forward to busting the case I have ordered every day after seeing these incredible sketches...
Have you seen Howard Shum's Star Wars sketches?
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Be careful basing your opinion on a small selection of previews. Pretty much all of the sketches shown in this thread would be among the top ~10% of all Star Wars sketches for this product. A large percentage of the sketches in a Topps case are typically fairly simple pencil sketches, and not the very detailed sketches you see here. In fact, most of the time you are hoping to pull just 1 sketch of this high quality in a case, if you pull 2 in a case you beat the odds big time. Unfortunately, there is a chance you won't even pull 1 of this quality...

I would suggest looking at past SW case breaks to get a better idea of the sketch quality you should expect. That said, a number of artists do a really good job on their SW sketches, since a lot of the artists love the subject matter. The problem is that Topps wants to produce a large number of boxes of their products compared to the other companies, so they take a large number of simple sketches to make their numbers.
aggie4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #31 (permalink)

Well I got my cards 3 weeks before due date so no not enough time but still managed to get them done. Ingrid is great.

Last edited by justice41; 07-17-2013 at 04:18 PM.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
No to more time, maybe to compelling subject matter - that's up to personal preference. The artists pretty much do what they want within the set guidelines. Topps has recently been incentivizing (?) artists to do more color sketches, but it's not required.

Ingrid puts this much effort into everything she does.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #33 (permalink)

Ingrid's top-right Dagobah is amazing (well, they all are but I really like that one)!

Mr. Cover, your's are great! The tight deadline was rough, I know! I'd read elsewhere that artists got together and got Topps to push their deadline back, I would have had a little more sleep and done more scene sketches if I had known about that!
scotthouseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthouseman View Post
Ingrid's top-right Dagobah is amazing (well, they all are but I really like that one)!

Mr. Cover, your's are great! The tight deadline was rough, I know! I'd read elsewhere that artists got together and got Topps to push their deadline back, I would have had a little more sleep and done more scene sketches if I had known about that!
heh the deadline went from june 28th to july first. so no real push back because for them to get the cards by July 1st you had to have them on the Fedex truck by the 28th of june.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:41 PM   #35 (permalink)

Below are a few of the sketch cards I drew for the series. Hope you like 'em!

Russ Maheras

rmaheras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #36 (permalink)

very Nice, I always liked story telling cards more than just static shots. but time is time and when ya gots none...
Old 08-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #37 (permalink)

Medallion samples up on Topps FB page. Look cool...

sketchopolix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #38 (permalink)
Tim

wow those medallions look great!
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote