Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Jerk Alert

Person won the original auction in Feb 2013 for around $300 and now has it for over a $1000.00

Walking Dead Season 2 Cards Sophia M9 Blue Rainbow Shirt Variant 6 Colors | eBay
Old 04-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkbag View Post
Person won the original auction in Feb 2013 for around $300 and now has it for over a $1000.00

Walking Dead Season 2 Cards Sophia M9 Blue Rainbow Shirt Variant 6 Colors | eBay
Can you explain to me why this makes him a jerk?
Old 04-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

hes a jerk because he wants to sell the card for what he thinks its worth?
baytowntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Worth? That's pretty steep and ruins the hobby. I can see making a profit, but $700+, really??? Come on folks. At least the rainbow design is big and more will turn up....

Last edited by yorkbag; 04-13-2013 at 05:10 PM.
yorkbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

flipping is flipping. you can't get bent out of shape about it.

i've seen tons of examples of guys trying to flip stuff and end up losing half their money. maybe he thought $300 was a crazy low price and he could make a killing OR maybe he just thinks that if somebody wants to pay $1000 for it they can have it, otherwise he'll keep it for himself. either way, getting upset over it is only affecting you. i'm sure he doesn't shive a git if you think he is a jerk or not. probably he is reading this thread and laughing.

i like to get annoyed when i see a card i got outbid on go up later as a flip. i figure the best i can do is not buy it, so i don't. that will teach 'em! or i buy it when i can get it for less than the flipper originally paid. that is my favorite
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

I wouldn't consider myself a jerk. I'll explain. I got into this hobby because of The Walking Dead. I'm a huge fan of it. I got into Season 1 and really jumped into Season 2 when it was released as well. This rainbow variant card is my particular favorite of my collection. My crown jewel, you could say and truth be told, I'd be willing to part with it if someone out there wanted it so much more badly than I did when I bought it. And with the way markets work, you honestly never know. I'm not here to offend anyone with my asking price...it's just one of those cards that's going to take quite something for me to part with because I'm a collector by heart and cards like this, you don't see them very often. It's my pride and joy.

If anyone has anything else to say, I'd be more than happy to address them. Thank you.
icancu202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

It's a beautiful card. I think it's fair to ask whatever you like for it. In the end trading cards are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Only thing I wonder about is the 6 colors? I only count five. Not that it really matters. Very cool variant.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfish View Post
It's a beautiful card. I think it's fair to ask whatever you like for it. In the end trading cards are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Only thing I wonder about is the 6 colors? I only count five. Not that it really matters. Very cool variant.
Well said, my thoughts exactly. I'm the counting the dirt on the wardrobe as well, not sure if that counts...
Old 04-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icancu202 View Post
I wouldn't consider myself a jerk. I'll explain. I got into this hobby because of The Walking Dead. I'm a huge fan of it. I got into Season 1 and really jumped into Season 2 when it was released as well. This rainbow variant card is my particular favorite of my collection. My crown jewel, you could say and truth be told, I'd be willing to part with it if someone out there wanted it so much more badly than I did when I bought it. And with the way markets work, you honestly never know. I'm not here to offend anyone with my asking price...it's just one of those cards that's going to take quite something for me to part with because I'm a collector by heart and cards like this, you don't see them very often. It's my pride and joy.

If anyone has anything else to say, I'd be more than happy to address them. Thank you.
I applaud you.

I see no harm, no foul here. If you paid $300 for a card, and can make a $700 profit, I would do the same. If someone hates you for it or is angry, they should've bought the card themselves when it was $300.

Good reasoning as well with why your selling it. I would do the same thing. If you love a card and would hate to part with it, then why not get a nice profit if you do part.

If people didn't do this, there would be no competitiveness in trading cards. Everything would be cheap, everyone would have every card they want, etc. It's all business even with personal collections and money always talks
CAS239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

I highly doubt this would be someones "crown jewel"....This was purchased to flip at a much higher price which is happening a lot right now with the WD. If it is truly a "crown jewel", you do not sell your "crown jewel" as there is no dollar amount worth it for this supposed "crown jewel". There are cards in my collection that I would not sell for any dollar amount and those are my TRUE "crown jewels". I will die with them in my collection and I guess who ever receives my will, will be the ones to sell. This is America the world of the free. So, to each is own. I just think it is a turnoff to those in the hobby. And, that is just my opinion which is like an ahole....we all have one.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS239 View Post
I applaud you.

I see no harm, no foul here. If you paid $300 for a card, and can make a $700 profit, I would do the same. If someone hates you for it or is angry, they should've bought the card themselves when it was $300.

Good reasoning as well with why your selling it. I would do the same thing. If you love a card and would hate to part with it, then why not get a nice profit if you do part.

If people didn't do this, there would be no competitiveness in trading cards. Everything would be cheap, everyone would have every card they want, etc. It's all business even with personal collections and money always talks
Thank you sir. You hit the nail on the head with everything you said. I completely concur!
Old 04-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

Everything has a price. I've sold the "crown jewel" of my collection two times now. One time because the price was too good, and the second time because I needed the money way more than the art.
I would imagine "The Scream" was someones crown jewel before they sold it for almost $120 million.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Worth? That's pretty steep and ruins the hobby. I can see making a profit, but $700+, really??? Come on folks. At least the rainbow design is big and more will turn up....
thats what he thinks its worth. so hes probably going to keep it in his collection unless someone pays him what he thinks its worth. what ruins the hobby?
Old 04-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I highly doubt this would be someones "crown jewel"....This was purchased to flip at a much higher price which is happening a lot right now with the WD. If it is truly a "crown jewel", you do not sell your "crown jewel" as there is no dollar amount worth it for this supposed "crown jewel". There are cards in my collection that I would not sell for any dollar amount and those are my TRUE "crown jewels". I will die with them in my collection and I guess who ever receives my will, will be the ones to sell. This is America the world of the free. So, to each is own. I just think it is a turnoff to those in the hobby. And, that is just my opinion which is like an ahole....we all have one.
so you think people should have a limit on how much money they make? dont limit anyone if you are
Old 04-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

I know that I am sadly out of touch to the new rules of this hobby. what is an acceptable profit? 25 bucks?

Quote:
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1964, 1967-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

I would much rather someone set their price too high on ebay, than all the people undercutting everyone's price and driving prices down. Those people to me are the ones ruining the hobby, trying to do a quick rip and flip and having no interest in collecting the set.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

I get it, it's the op! Welcome to the new America! Home to the, we are entitled people. I guess we all have to ask the op how much money we are allowed to make. Do public schools now teach kids to limit themselves and try not to make too much money?

Also what is an acceptable profit for this card? I need the exact amount before he became a jerk.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

I think we all know who the real "jerk" is..
spacefanmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #20 (permalink)

LOL. That's funny:-)
spacefanmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #21 (permalink)

Thats a cool swatch. The shirt was made by Anto of Beverly Hills. My best friend is Johnny Cash's granddaughter and I grew up hanging out at his house in Hendersonville. The year before Mr. Cash died, he gave me three of his stage worn shirts for my birthday, and two of them were Anto Beverly Hills shirts. Johnny and June were two of the nicest people I've ever known.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #22 (permalink)

Why does the op care what someone does with something they bought? Is that person obligated to sell at what they paid or less for the good of the hobby?

By your example, if you paid 100.00 for a box an had pulled 1 of the 1/1 badge cards, would you sell it for the 100.00 you paid?

Who are you to say what is or isnt someones crown jewel of their collection?
Old 04-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to AceGambit3 Send a message via MSN to AceGambit3

Quote:
Things change, priorities change. Never say never.
MY RDJ Iron Man "2008" auto variant is my crown jewel but you can bet your ass that if someone walked up to me today and said "I'll give you $1,500 for it". I'd be asking if he'd like the one touch and stand its on.
Everything in this hobby has a price.

BTW Baytown: I'm more shocked that the Jerry Lewis originally went that low. Easily a few hundred dollars card. Very nice card.
AceGambit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfish View Post
Thats a cool swatch. The shirt was made by Anto of Beverly Hills. My best friend is Johnny Cash's granddaughter and I grew up hanging out at his house in Hendersonville. The year before Mr. Cash died, he gave me three of his stage worn shirts for my birthday, and two of them were Anto Beverly Hills shirts. Johnny and June were two of the nicest people I've ever known.

cool. you should get a video or letter of provenance from the family.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baytowntex View Post
cool. you should get a video or letter of provenance from the family.
I got them authenticated by the maker. Anto keeps meticulous records due to the their high profile clientele.