Blowout Cards Forums
4/4/14 Coupon

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mars Attacks: Invasion

Huzzah!

Mars Attacks: Invasion – The Sequel 51 Years In The Making! Non-Sport & Entertainment Trading Card News from Non-Sport Update

A brand-new Mars Attacks card series. We all new this would come one day. Topps has re-released Mars Attacks twice now. They’ve added new elements such as last year’s “Deleted Scenes” subset and sketch cards, and 1994′s “New Visions” subset. But we all wondered what a totally brand new Mars Attacks series might look like—Who would create the cards? What might the story entail? And now, we’re about to find out.

“Last year’s Heritage re-issue was a smash hit with fans,” says Topps’ Adam Levine, who has overseen the recent resurgence of Mars Attacks, “and this brand-new series is what we’ve been building to. It will be a fresh re-imagining of the original series and will stay faithful to Mars Attacks‘ pulpy, classic sci-fi roots. This means all-new, traditionally hand-painted cards illustrated by a group of artists carefully selected to carry forward creator Norm Saunders’ legacy.”

Mars Attacks: Invasion will be the first all-new Mars Attacks card set. Topps tells us the set will boast an impressive roster of talent, from living legend Earl Norem and master illustrator Joe Jusko to renowned painters Ed Repka, Glen Orbik, Gregory Staples and more to be announced. Artists contributing to the 63-card story-based portion of the set will each illustrate multiple cards, with the set being divided into themed subsets that combine to tell the story of an alien apocalypse unlike any other.

“Topps hasn’t done a set like this in more than twenty years,” says series editor David Waldeck. “It’s a return to the days when trading cards hooked audiences with incredible imagery and imaginative storytelling. We’ve loaded the set with everything fans know and love about Mars Attacks: giant insects, flying saucers, ray guns, robots, damsels and death rays!”

We can’t wait to see what Topps cooks up for the story and art and feel sure it will will impress. Of course, no modern-day set is complete without inserts. While Topps isn’t quite read to play all of its cards on that front just yet, they have told us about one thing collectors will find in packs—original 1962 Mars Attacks cards. Topps will detail additional chase card levels in the months ahead.

Topps has supplied two brand new images by Earl Norem from one of Invasions’ subsets that details early secret missions to Earth by the martians before the invasion. See them below.

Mars Attacks: Invasion is scheduled for release in October 2013.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Been waiting for this. Time to start saving up.
buckycap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Will be in for multiple cases of this product.
rip+flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hopefully they'll be doing something at NYCC related to it.
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Huzzah!
Huzzah?

:-) Great work on this set man! Really been impressed with everything I've seen from you in the previews!
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavojohn View Post
Huzzah?

:-) Great work on this set man! Really been impressed with everything I've seen from you in the previews!
Thanks! But this isn't the IDW set, this is a whole new follow-up to Mars Attacks Heritage.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks! But this isn't the IDW set, this is a whole new follow-up to Mars Attacks Heritage.
Hi Ted,
Will you be doing Sketch cards for the new Mars Attacks set as well?
patzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patzee View Post
Hi Ted,
Will you be doing Sketch cards for the new Mars Attacks set as well?
Don't know yet. I better be!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Don't know yet. I better be!
Indeed.

since they are not reprinting the original 55 Cards again do you feel this will enhance the interest in the 2012 Heritage set? I think it will kill the sketch cards from the 2012 set. What are your thoughts?
Old 04-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Heritage was a "smash hit" with fans? I guess someone forgot to tell the people who were not spending money on the cards aside from top level sketches. I will most likely be passing on this one.
Igman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igman7 View Post
Heritage was a "smash hit" with fans? I guess someone forgot to tell the people who were not spending money on the cards aside from top level sketches. I will most likely be passing on this one.
can't imagine more sketch cards? what didn't you like about the Heritage Set?
Old 04-16-2013, 12:46 AM   #12 (permalink)

You mean aside from the fact that it failed miserably vs expectations for all of the press that Topps gave it? Yeah, I can imagine tons and tons of more $10-$15 sketch cards of alien's heads...WOO! It might have been a good product from a collector's standpoint (especially if you waited a month or so after release when the product took a nosedive), but to me it was not impressive in the least.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
You mean aside from the fact that it failed miserably vs expectations for all of the press that Topps gave it? Yeah, I can imagine tons and tons of more $10-$15 sketch cards of alien's heads...WOO! It might have been a good product from a collector's standpoint (especially if you waited a month or so after release when the product took a nosedive), but to me it was not impressive in the least.
I believe the NEW sketch cards will be of better quality making the lesser sketch cards from Heritage tank to a buck a piece if that.. The top sketch cards will still command a good price from Heritage release.
What I do not like is the way they continue to use the Mars Attacks 1/1 moniker on the IDW bonus cards in the upcoming high priced books. I'm sure they will continue with the 2013 set as well...although, we did not see the backs of the 1/1 IDW cards yet? don't you agree we may see a resurgence in the 2012 set after the new set is released? The GOLD cards had only 50 of each number, and still dealers are selling them cheap...why? don't blame Topps the dealers killed that set...Period.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #14 (permalink)

I have seen many a product killed by dealers mis-pricing (just about every Rittenhouse product come to mind) but this was not one of them. You want to know why dealers are selling the golds cheap? Because they were a FLOP and people were night fighting for them which put the market where it is. As far as a "resurgance" for Heritage after the new set comes out...you have to have a surge before a resurge...so no, I don't think it will happen.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
How did it fail miserably? Because box prices remained constant? Even if you pull a $10-$15 sketch from a box, you don't think the value was there? You get 1, maybe 2, full base sets per box that are still selling for around $12, the additional inserts & parallels will still nab you a few more bucks, if you're lucky enough to hit them plates and golds still sell decent... Are you going to make a killer return on every box? No, but it doesn't seem too difficult to at least break even. That can't be said for a lot of products that cost twice as much.

Did this set sell out at Topps?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
since they are not reprinting the original 55 Cards again do you feel this will enhance the interest in the 2012 Heritage set? I think it will kill the sketch cards from the 2012 set. What are your thoughts?
I honestly don't know. I think the main market for this set will be collectors who already bought into 2012 Heritage. Will enough of them graduate to the new set is the question. I have to imagine a lot of collectors who bought the last set did it for the nostalgia of the original series - it really had a built-in audience, to an extent.

If new collectors jump onto this set, there may be more interest in last year's. With this being a new story and potentially tying more into the comic, you may see more of these show up in comic shops. I was talking to my local comic store owner and he wasn't even aware of the Heritage cards, yet he carried the comics. This set could change that.

I don't know if it will kill the sketch market from the last set. A good sketch will still command a premium. Look at Heroes - that show is all but forgotten yet sketches still sell. I hope that more artists this go around don't just try to copy Norm Saunders' original cards again - there's so much room for creativity in this. I don't think a lot of those who signed on knew much about the source material, or that it was even a card set in 1962.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #17 (permalink)

While some base sets (including the 2 common chase) have indeed sold for $12, there are others that have failed to bring a bid at lower opening bids. There was a recent auction for the three main sets including the lenticulars that closed at $15 delivered. Green sets, not very easy to put together, are only getting $35 for a set and golds are going for $12-$40 with the exception of card 1 which brings aver $100.

In my mind, this set failed miserably when you consider the insane amount of marketing that Topps did prior to release. Did they sell out? Sure they did, because Topps has had a policy in place for many years to make most product to order. Also, the pre-orders were pretty strong based on the marketing campaign the problem was that many of the old school buyers just didn't like the make up of the set.

Your sketches, along with a few others, were some of the only bright spots (not that I was lucky to pull any). Do I expect "killer returns" on every box...no, but I do not buy multiple cases of product at distributor price (not retail) just to hope to break even after a few years.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
In my mind, this set failed miserably when you consider the insane amount of marketing that Topps did prior to release. Did they sell out? Sure they did, because Topps has had a policy in place for many years to make most product to order. Also, the pre-orders were pretty strong based on the marketing campaign the problem was that many of the old school buyers just didn't like the make up of the set.
OK, so they put a bunch of marketing muscle behind it to help boost pre-orders, made the product to order, and sold probably more than they had expected to since Set 2 got the green light. To me that does not sound like a failure. The marketing did what it was supposed to do - generate excitement to sell a product. I think it was said from the get-go that the set would re-print the original series, so the old school buyers knew what to expect from that point. I'm not big on parallels, myself, but I think the inserts were cool. Especially the 3D cards, and I hope those continue in the next set. I'd like to see the original series get the Chrome treatment, too, like they're doing with GPK.

You're a dealer so you know more about this than I do being on the front lines - what exactly didn't the old school buyers like about it?

Quote:
Do I expect "killer returns" on every box...no, but I do not buy multiple cases of product at distributor price (not retail) just to hope to break even after a few years.
I get that. But unless there's an incentive program to give dealers additional content, when you open product with the intent to flip for profit, you have to know that some will be better than others. When dealers are constantly losing on investments, breaking even isn't so bad. It's obviously not a good business model, either. But again, when the cost per box (even cheaper at the dealer level) can be recouped, at least you're not in a losing situation.

And the first set hasn't even been out for a year yet. To see that it hasn't lost interest is encouraging. Most sets come out, explode, then die a month later.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
I believe the NEW sketch cards will be of better quality...
Isn't that what we always think?

I think the first set was a success with fans but not with people trying to make a lot of money ripping product.

I didn't participate in the first set, although this upcoming set sounds interesting so I'm putting it on my 'consider' list along with a few other things. Nothing that really excites me is in the works for this year as far as I can tell (except maybe IM3).
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #20 (permalink)

I enjoyed the first product and actually did okay with sales on my 2 cases (I have different standards than a dealer--I was happy with a much better than average sports case return), but I wasn't crazy about the overall quality of the sketch cards looking back at it. I hit a couple a really liked (Proctor was the best), but there were a fair amount of just okay sketches.

HOWEVER, I think given the box price, it was a fun product to open and not lose big.

I was interested in the IDG product due to the artist list, but that faded a little bit when I saw how the sketches were going to be distributed.

I'm not a huge Mars Attacks fan, so the sketches would need to be something interesting in an usual way (like the ones Ted Dastick did) or just phenomenal art to get me to buy singles. I would likely skip breaking just because I prefer to use my money on singles at the moment.

I do really like the idea of introducing Chrome (and Chrome parallels) into the mix, though. That would add some valuable cards to chase and shouldn't affect the price point too much.

[Inactive]
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #21 (permalink)

I broke 10 cases - I made money...

However it took longer than I would have liked. If you are a ripper & flipper like myself - you would have seen some stuff happen in the first 48 hours that didn't help sales. But it happens in every release, and you can never avoid it.

That being said - plates, autographs, parallels all added up and sketches just made extra money. Selling master-sets on pre-sale was smart and had to be done. They were going for $39.99ea, and I think I sold 20 of them. Then I sold about 15 base sets etc (this was pre-sale).
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)

Last edited by Zerokruel; 04-16-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #22 (permalink)

Meh, the bad sketches aren’t sought after now, and won’t be later either. I don’t think it affects the value of the good sketches that much – most of the high end stuff is already in the hands of the collectors. Interesting to see how many collectors jump on board with a completely new product – I met tons of people that were buying up the Heritage product because it was reprint of something that was already held dear to them.

Besides, if sketch prices do tank for the Heritage set, I’ll be the first one snatching up things like this

And I’m sure I’m not the only one thinking along those lines...
PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #23 (permalink)

Promo Card P1 available at the Non-Sport Card Show in Allentown next weekend. Art by Ed Repka. A heavily trimmed version of the piece that will eventually be used as the box art.
Attached Thumbnails
Mars Attacks: Invasion-mars-attacks-invasion.jpg  
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #24 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitViper View Post
Meh, the bad sketches aren’t sought after now, and won’t be later either. I don’t think it affects the value of the good sketches that much – most of the high end stuff is already in the hands of the collectors. Interesting to see how many collectors jump on board with a completely new product – I met tons of people that were buying up the Heritage product because it was reprint of something that was already held dear to them.

Besides, if sketch prices do tank for the Heritage set, I’ll be the first one snatching up things like this

And I’m sure I’m not the only one thinking along those lines...
awesome sketches - who is the artist?
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
awesome sketches - who is the artist?
John Cebollero - He did all pencil sketches for the set, but painted his APs.

I've been stalking the interwebs for more of his APs, should anyone come across one

PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote