Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 01:33 AM   #51 (permalink)
Member
 
Skaughtt0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 826
Send a message via ICQ to Skaughtt0 Send a message via AIM to Skaughtt0
Default

Well, Yuriy's last night of listings are up. Anyone have ebay purchases to flaunt?

Are there more vendors that'll post in bulk or do these case breakers do another round? There's still one card I'm waiting to see from the set previews that were posted.
__________________
Collecting Cleveland Browns ( Josh Cribbs, Kevin Johnson, HOFers, Contenders, National Treasures )
Want - http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/football-singles-buy-sell-trade/442587-buying-browns.html
My PC - http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e177/skaughtto/Browns%20Cards/
Skaughtt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:48 AM   #52 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
The biggest problem with talking about the artwork as collectors is you're either buying or not. if not buying why bother talking about the artwork? If the reason why you aren't buying is because of the artwork even more reason to not talk about it. Talking about the artwork in a negative will just start a negative wave that will wind up souring the whole hobby. That's what negativity does, it spreads like a disease.
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with anyone talking negatively about someones art if they don't like it. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. However, I see no reason to bash someone for it. There are plenty of ways you can explain why you don't like someone's work without actually attacking the individual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHotz
It really isn't hard for most adults who spend $100s in a hobby to say what they like and don't like without becoming absolute haters.
I totally agree. No reason to get all mean about it.
Lak Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #53 (permalink)
Member
 
Rian Fike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaughtt0 View Post
Well, Yuriy's last night of listings are up. Anyone have ebay purchases to flaunt?

Are there more vendors that'll post in bulk or do these case breakers do another round? There's still one card I'm waiting to see from the set previews that were posted.
From here on out there will be a trickle of new cards on ebay from time to time, but no more major breaks.

Finding one particular card from previews and artist sites is usually pretty difficult. Good luck!
__________________
Check out my sketch card blog:

sketchcardsaloon.com
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #54 (permalink)
Member
 
monkeymcgee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 7,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaughtt0 View Post
Well, Yuriy's last night of listings are up. Anyone have ebay purchases to flaunt?

Are there more vendors that'll post in bulk or do these case breakers do another round? There's still one card I'm waiting to see from the set previews that were posted.
Still nothing from me. I've got several on my Watch List, but there's probably only 1 or 2 I might pull the trigger on if the price drops.

I did put in a few bids on a couple to see if I might get a steal, but no bids over $10.

My impression after seeing most of the listings up now (I think I was seriously making this face yesterday when looking at them):

__________________
Collecting: money in the bank for some projects around the house | hope to be back picking up sketches in 2015
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #55 (permalink)
Member
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaughtt0 View Post
Well, Yuriy's last night of listings are up. Anyone have ebay purchases to flaunt?

Are there more vendors that'll post in bulk or do these case breakers do another round? There's still one card I'm waiting to see from the set previews that were posted.
Cardbud will continue to post a good number of cards on a pretty regular basis. Some of the ex-US dealers will do a big post of up to several cases worth of sketch cards when they receive them, which could be anywhere from a couple days to a couple of weeks from now.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #56 (permalink)
Member
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHotz View Post
To be fair to Rian, he's done a ton of good deeds for the hobby in the last few years. From what I've seen, most of the "Rian vs." started as soon as Rian became "critical/judgmental" of artist's work @ Scoundrel. While I do think Rian can tip-toe the line of being too abrasive and sometimes not open-minded enough, his opinion is his opinion and should be treated as that.
If I thought Rian's stated opinion was actually his opinion then I would forgive every single thing he ever said as being his opinion. The problem is that I often think he says things just for the purpose of pissing people off and instigating drama. He often contradicts himself in the same thread and has posted comments along the line of "this is just the internet, nothing I say is serious" in multiple threads.

Opinons = terrific
Just being a dick and ruining perfecting good discussions = troll

Rian can be whoever he wants to be. I just wish he would make up his mind.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #57 (permalink)
Member
 
Rian Fike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 565
Default

I kinda wish there were more funky bizarre unusual styles. Artists like Adam Cline are really starting to stand out against the norm. When Mark Irwin was the Art Director at Upper Deck and they launched Marvel Masterpieces, he put out an open call for artists on deviantart and things got wild. Something like that would be cool to revisit, although the hobby has obviously changed a lot since then.
__________________
Check out my sketch card blog:

sketchcardsaloon.com
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #58 (permalink)
Member
 
monkeymcgee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 7,280
Default

Just a few stats:

So far there have been about 2330 MGB listings (I'm taking a few off for the keyword spammers) and 170 completed listings (136 confirmed eBay sales and 34 that were probably mostly done off eBay with a few one-days that actually didn't sell). So let's be generous and say all 170 were sold. That's a whopping 7.2% sell rate so far.

Maybe that is not far from the average RA comic release, but that seems really rough for the sellers out there.
__________________
Collecting: money in the bank for some projects around the house | hope to be back picking up sketches in 2015
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #59 (permalink)
Member
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian Fike View Post
I kinda wish there were more funky bizarre unusual styles. Artists like Adam Cline are really starting to stand out against the norm. When Mark Irwin was the Art Director at Upper Deck and they launched Marvel Masterpieces, he put out an open call for artists on deviantart and things got wild. Something like that would be cool to revisit, although the hobby has obviously changed a lot since then.
Perfect...

When you say that the hobby has changed a lot since then, do you mean that you don't think the majority of collectors would accept that type of card?

It looks like Sara Richard cards took a big dive in value during the MBA release, as opposed to previous releases. I think she is a good example of one of those more funky bizarre styles, for the most part. On the other hand, Tony Perna cards seem to just be going up in value. An amazing artist, but very traditional style.

I agree I like to see a good mix of styles and try to really mix up my PSC collection in this manner.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #60 (permalink)
Member
 
Rian Fike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Perfect...

When you say that the hobby has changed a lot since then, do you mean that you don't think the majority of collectors would accept that type of card?

It looks like Sara Richard cards took a big dive in value during the MBA release, as opposed to previous releases. I think she is a good example of one of those more funky bizarre styles, for the most part. On the other hand, Tony Perna cards seem to just be going up in value. An amazing artist, but very traditional style.

I agree I like to see a good mix of styles and try to really mix up my PSC collection in this manner.
Sara Richard is an excellent example, thanks. Jeremy Treece too. Ironically, both of them have moved on to work on official comic books now that I think about it.

I am not really all that interested in prices and values, to tell you the truth. I like to see a wide variety of styles and flavors. With the Sara Richard values, I think we learned that a unique style with consistent quality will sell high at first and then the values will drop steadily as the market gets flooded. Adding the fact that a sizable portion of the wealthy collector base has left the hobby, and you have the drop in prices.

With Warren Martineck hired as the Art Director at Rittenhouse, we see a high level of skill and accomplishment in the cards, but also a distinct lack of experimental unique styles. I don't know how this could be changed, and I don't know if Rittenhouse would want to have a bunch of bizarre styles, but I would enjoy it if they could mix it up a bit.

Nick Leslie at Upper Deck is constantly bringing in new faces, and it is fun to see what kind of funky eye candy pops up.

Anyway, that's just my opinion and my take on the MGB set.
__________________
Check out my sketch card blog:

sketchcardsaloon.com
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #61 (permalink)
Member
 
Rian Fike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Maybe that is not far from the average RA comic release, but that seems really rough for the sellers out there.
I have no idea about averages from the past, but it is rough out there compared to the glory days for sure.

About half the bigger dealers from 2011 are now gone.

K&J and Marvel Masters don't seem to be going anywhere, however, and since Marvel Masters buys about 1/3rd of the total run for each set it seems that Rittenhouse can stay with this business model for the forseeable future.
__________________
Check out my sketch card blog:

sketchcardsaloon.com
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #62 (permalink)
Member
 
Rian Fike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
If I thought Rian's stated opinion was actually his opinion then I would forgive every single thing he ever said as being his opinion.
Everything I say is my opinion. If you would pay attention to my posts, the only time I poke people is when they poke me first. Recently, if you review the record, I have stayed on topic and had fun while ignoring all the personal attacks against me.

Read my actual posts, and don't get caught up when people get all emotional about me. It's all just a fun way to enjoy our common hobby, there is no reason to take any of this stuff so seriously.
__________________
Check out my sketch card blog:

sketchcardsaloon.com
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #63 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lak Lim View Post
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with anyone talking negatively about someones art if they don't like it. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. However, I see no reason to bash someone for it. There are plenty of ways you can explain why you don't like someone's work without actually attacking the individual.

I totally agree. No reason to get all mean about it.
Anyone can say anything they want but then there are consequences to talking #@#@#@#@. It all comes back on the #@#@#@#@ talkers eventually. Either the artists they berates, cards will devalue making theirs and others collections lower valued or the artists will leave the hobby and that will devalue their past cards. But if none of this happens, negative talk will always sour the mood. Always has always will. Who wants to discuss things with people who just talk everyone down or calls artists Drama Queens? Jackasses like that need to be shunned.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #64 (permalink)
Member
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,548
Default

I fully agree on the values. I buy cards for my collection with no intent of selling them, so if the value drops it doesn't really bother me. I only mention value in terms of an indicator of collector interest. Although it doesn't go hand-in-hand, if there is very little collector interest the cards aren't going to pull a very high price.

Do you really think UD is seeking a lot of new artists necessarily for new talent or more because of the artist leaving the industry in general and UD in particular? I guess it doesn't really make a difference. Some of the newer artists, like Julius Abrera for example, are very appealling to me. However, many of the RA first time artists I've seen for MGB aren't really doing anything exciting.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #65 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,306
Default

As a Collector I place a personal value on my collection based on how hard it was to get what i got. Maybe buying stuff online has taken the work out of collecting to the point that it's just not a hunt anymore but oneupsmanship. Which may account for that belief about value of collection not being a huge thing.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #66 (permalink)
Member
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian Fike View Post
Everything I say is my opinion. If you would pay attention to my posts, the only time I poke people is when they poke me first. Recently, if you review the record, I have stayed on topic and had fun while ignoring all the personal attacks against me.

Read my actual posts, and don't get caught up when people get all emotional about me. It's all just a fun way to enjoy our common hobby, there is no reason to take any of this stuff so seriously.
I'm actually not an idiot. Although I didn't know cashews weren't nuts, I can easily distiguish between your posts and other peoples posts about you. I assure you that my opinion is based soley on your actions in the message board and nobody else's.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #67 (permalink)
Member
 
Rian Fike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I fully agree on the values. I buy cards for my collection with no intent of selling them, so if the value drops it doesn't really bother me. I only mention value in terms of an indicator of collector interest. Although it doesn't go hand-in-hand, if there is very little collector interest the cards aren't going to pull a very high price.

Do you really think UD is seeking a lot of new artists necessarily for new talent or more because of the artist leaving the industry in general and UD in particular? I guess it doesn't really make a difference. Some of the newer artists, like Julius Abrera for example, are very appealling to me. However, many of the RA first time artists I've seen for MGB aren't really doing anything exciting.
Upper Deck, honestly, is a strange bird. They treat the artists badly, yet outside of the inner community they still have a great reputation as a brand. The actual people running the Marvel division are great, but the business end of the company is horrible to work for. Many artists have left, yet some amazing established talents (Jim Cheung and Adriana Melo for example) keep doing Upper Deck cards. Nick Leslie has been doing a great job with outreach for new talent, and there have been quite a few outrageous and exciting styles in the hobby because of it.

Rittenhouse, on the other hand, treats the artists better yet they seem to be looking for a much more traditional approach when it comes to style.

In my humble opinion.
__________________
Check out my sketch card blog:

sketchcardsaloon.com
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #68 (permalink)
Member
 
Rian Fike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I'm actually not an idiot. Although I didn't know cashews weren't nuts, I can easily distiguish between your posts and other peoples posts about you. I assure you that my opinion is based soley on your actions in the message board and nobody else's.
Are you sure? I consider you very knowledgeable, with a fairly open mind for someone with such strong opinions, yet I don't understand exactly how you came to the conclusion that I was the problem. Have you honestly seen me intiate most of the scuffles? Can you not see the original provocation that started it every time?

Take the Squirrel Girl thread for example. None of that would have happened if someone else had not started it in an attempt to provoke me. You can see that right?

And, if you have noticed, I have not responded to that person for days and I never will again. Did you realize that?
__________________
Check out my sketch card blog:

sketchcardsaloon.com
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #69 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Perfect...

When you say that the hobby has changed a lot since then, do you mean that you don't think the majority of collectors would accept that type of card?

It looks like Sara Richard cards took a big dive in value during the MBA release, as opposed to previous releases. I think she is a good example of one of those more funky bizarre styles, for the most part. On the other hand, Tony Perna cards seem to just be going up in value. An amazing artist, but very traditional style.

I agree I like to see a good mix of styles and try to really mix up my PSC collection in this manner.
I believe that for some of the newer artists the realization of how really small the cards are has to give them a bit o panic attack. Doing full sized art is not even close to doing card sized art. It took me awhile to mimic the line weights, the feathering the hatching all that on a card that i do on full scale art. Took at least a year before I would commit to Rittenhouse because I wanted my card art to look like the art you get from the base cards. I wanted my art to look like shrunk down comic book artwork. I could have gone the route of just using thick markers and all that like a lot do. My thing is you should be able to hold any of my cards up and it should have all the same line-work as a full sized piece. The line weights the feathering, all that. That can be daunting to a new artist under deadline and expectations.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #70 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,306
Default

Give it up Spidey, Rian is deluded. man is suffering from inflated ego to persecution complex and paranoia. Maybe even a touch of schizophrenia.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #71 (permalink)
Member
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,548
Default

I realize that you have 2 personalites. Sometimes being intelligent and making excellent points. Other times being childish for no good reason. Regarding the latter, sometimes you are instigated but other times you instigate.

My opinion is based on statements like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian Fike View Post
This is a bunch of dorks pretending to be important. (Yes, that includes me.)

This is not the real world, and it makes no difference at all.

EDIT: But it sure is fun, right???
When I read things like this, why should I believe many of your statements are your actual opinion and not just inflammatory comments intended to instigate drama?

I'm Switzerland. I don't care if you are the assailant or the victim. I'm just tired of thread after thread turning into a Rian vs... situation. If you were truly innocent in the matter you wouldn't be so intimately involved every time it happens.

Oh cry Roy started a thread to upset you. How many times have you, unprovoked, attacked Jason Adams? Fact of the matter is, if Squirrel Girl is truly not allowed on RA cards then Roy's thread was completely legitimate.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #72 (permalink)
Member
 
monkeymcgee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 7,280
Default

Not to turn this into the "Analyze Rian Hour," but I will say he was the only person that people (yes, more than 1 person) actively warned me about when I started getting into sketch collecting.

Coming from the sports side, I'm more than familiar with navigating, debating, and ignoring trolls, so I never thought much about it. And having gotten to know him better, I would not classify him as a troll. Trolls stir up crap just to do it--I think Rian stirs things up because he likes to argue, likes some drama, and sometimes has trouble expressing his disagreement with certain opinions without getting a little nasty about it.

We've had our tussles, but I don't see any reason to shun him. He has opinions like everyone else--whether you allow him to rile you up is your choice. Not to say that's always an easy choice and that I haven't been sucked into getting riled up myself before.

I don't agree that ever barb from him is unprovoked--I know a few sent my way that were not (but some were provoked by me)--but I appreciate his perspective and enthusiasm for sketches, even if I sometimes disagree with him about artistic preferences and the way he chooses to communicate some of his opinions.
__________________
Collecting: money in the bank for some projects around the house | hope to be back picking up sketches in 2015
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #73 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I realize that you have 2 personalites. Sometimes being intelligent and making excellent points. Other times being childish for no good reason. Regarding the latter, sometimes you are instigated but other times you instigate.

My opinion is based on statements like this:


When I read things like this, why should I believe many of your statements are your actual opinion and not just inflammatory comments intended to instigate drama?

I'm Switzerland. I don't care if you are the assailant or the victim. I'm just tired of thread after thread turning into a Rian vs... situation. If you were truly innocent in the matter you wouldn't be so intimately involved every time it happens.

Oh cry Roy started a thread to upset you. How many times have you, unprovoked, attacked Jason Adams? Fact of the matter is, if Squirrel Girl is truly not allowed on RA cards then Roy's thread was completely legitimate.
I wasn't even thinking about Rian when i made my Thread. Outside of here and Scounds, Rian is a persona non grata to me. I just thought it weird they would get rid of any character from a set especially one that people liked drawing but that I despised.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #74 (permalink)
Member
 
Rian Fike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
When I read things like this, why should I believe many of your statements are your actual opinion and not just inflammatory comments intended to instigate drama?
I have not attacked anyone unprovoked, including Jason Adams. I have no problem taking things with a grain of salt and admitting that I am a dork and you are a dork and everyone who spends this much energy talking about their hobbies on a message board is a dork! Do you have a sense of humor? Does it really offend you if I call this community a bunch of dorks? Really?

If you are really tired of it, stop talking about it. I only respond when people feel the need to provoke me. Sure, I will mess them up and tie them in knots when they try to insult me, but that is fun for me and it must be fun for them or else they would stop.

Put yourself in my shoes. Right now we are talking about you and your opinions about me. You are enjoying it, I am enjoying it. Now, what would happen if I started insulting you? What if I say the kind of things about you that Roy and Jason say about me? I could do it, easily. You have provided plenty of ammunition for insults, but I have stayed civil with you and not started laughing. But...

What would you do if I started insulting you now? Could you leave it alone? Would you continue the conversation? Would you respond in kind?

What would you do if you were in my situation?
__________________
Check out my sketch card blog:

sketchcardsaloon.com
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #75 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Not to turn this into the "Analyze Rian Hour," but I will say he was the only person that people (yes, more than 1 person) actively warned me about when I started getting into sketch collecting.

Coming from the sports side, I'm more than familiar with navigating, debating, and ignoring trolls, so I never thought much about it. And having gotten to know him better, I would not classify him as a troll. Trolls stir up crap just to do it--I think Rian stirs things up because he likes to argue, likes some drama, and sometimes has trouble expressing his disagreement with certain opinions without getting a little nasty about it.

We've had our tussles, but I don't see any reason to shun him. He has opinions like everyone else--whether you allow him to rile you up is your choice. Not to say that's always an easy choice and that I haven't been sucked into getting riled up myself before.

I don't agree that ever barb from him is unprovoked--I know a few sent my way that were not (but some were provoked by me)--but I appreciate his perspective and enthusiasm for sketches, even if I sometimes disagree with him about artistic preferences and the way he chooses to communicate some of his opinions.
To me jokers like Rian need to be dismissed out of hand. I don't take or accept opinions good or bad, advice good or bad from, fer an example i don't want baby sitting tips from a pedophile, i don't want pick up lines from a rapist. The message is tainted by the personality.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.