Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Marvel Greatest Battles Discussion

Since Rian kicked us out of his Squirrel Girl thread, we can discuss MGB here

Anyone pick up some awesome sketches? Planning on getting some APs? Excited about any of the new artists?

And you can always complain about things here too
Old 04-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

As always, Monkey McGee is THE MAN!

I was on the fence about the set, since I don't really like sketch card puzzles and I have never added one to my collection. Then this pushed me over the fence...

Since Aston Roy Cover broke his NDA for us and gave us the inside information about Squirrel Girl being on the banned list for the set, those cards were irresistable. My offer was accepted by Marvel Masters, and the price was reasonable, so I am very happy with the addition to my collection. I love the series that Irma Ahmed did, with all her cards glowing in yellow and orange. Squirrel Girl has never looked quite as sunny!

There is one Adam Cline card locked in a bidding war on ebay, and I predict a very high sale price. Maybe over $500, maybe not. The Meghan Hetrick incentive cards are simply stunning, although they were not cut and they are sealed in oversized sleeves which is way awkward in my opinion. I would definitely cut the seal and find a sleeve to fit if I could afford one. And yes, I would buy one in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

The set is pretty cool, but there is a strange feeling of sameness. Very few cards really stand out, because they all have a very high level of skill and they all have very dynamic poses due to the two character requirement.

Fun stuff, for sure. I applaud Rittenhouse for trying something different. I am enjoying the show tremendously.

sketchcardsaloon.com
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian Fike View Post
The set is pretty cool, but there is a strange feeling of sameness. Very few cards really stand out, because they all have a very high level of skill and they all have very dynamic poses due to the two character requirement.
I really agree with you about that. Just scrolling through all the listings, it's amazing how similar the sketches look. I'm sure some of it is the layout being the same on most of them--with a horizontal composition and one character primarily on each card, but the colors and poses kind of blend together as well.

I will say this, though: I think the Glebes did some really nice work on this one, even with the number of sketches they did.

This one in particular I thought was quite well done: 2013 Marvel Greatest Battles Sketch Matt Mick Glebe 11 | eBay

I've been tempted by a few of the Streb sketches, but they are just out of my range at the moment. Maybe if they drop a bit in price, I'll grab one.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Marvel Masters has been accepting offers pretty readily for what it's worth.

artmazingspidermangallery just posted a fantastic rant about pricing on Scoundrel, it deserves more exposure here. And I quote:

"On the topic of MGB sketch prices being inflated, I agree – prices are inflated. But, so have been the prices of all sketch cards when a product is released. Within a few weeks, prices will drop. Even though I usually buy a case or two, because of the cost of a MGB case, I did not buy any cases, because I didn’t want to risk not pulling cards I liked. Instead, I decided to use what I was going to spend on cases on cards I really like. K&J, Yuriv and other dealers are taking the risk of opening cases for us, and instead of spending about $1K on a case, I got about 12 really nice Spidey sketch cards for the same amount. And I am grateful to dealers for taking this risk.

What I find interesting is that collectors who complain about cards being overpriced and not priced at what the market commands, ask inflated prices and forget about what the market commands when selling cards from their own collection. I do understand – no one wants to sell a card for less than it was purchased. So, why should dealers sell cards for less than what it cost them? They wouldn’t be in business for long if they did."

(p.s. the Yuriv mentioned is Marvel Masters on ebay.)

sketchcardsaloon.com

Last edited by Rian Fike; 04-18-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

I've seen way too many large heads or just heads and shoulders on one side and a small figure on the other composition on these MGB cards. Plus way too many figures facing each other but that's it. The worse ones are the ones with the figures not interacting at all. This is mostly due to the artists not having any foundation in drawing anything but simple poses. Plus people still have a hard time fitting an entire figure into these cards without having the character bent over or with legs tucked under butt. To me I had all the room in the world to draw.
justice41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Since Rian kicked us out of his Squirrel Girl thread, we can discuss MGB here
I think you mean that Rian kicked us out of Roy's thread, even though Roy was actively participating in the non-squirrel girl related discussion...

I may buy. On the fence. If I spend a couple hundred here then I'll most likely have to pass on IM3. Gonna see what new info I can find on that upcoming UD release this weekend.

I like puzzles but many of these forced puzzles just don't have the regular puzzle feel. There are a couple of really really nice ones out of my price range that I would really like. This Pajaron is one of my favories so far: 2013 Marvel Greatest Battles Sketch Mary Jane Dizon Paragan Pajaron 03 | eBay. There are a bunch within my price range that I am sitting on and hoping make it through the weekend, while I wait to see what else gets listed by the big players and the weekend warriors who don't have time to bust until Saturday.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I think you mean that Rian kicked us out of Roy's thread, even though Roy was actively participating in the non-squirrel girl related discussion...
Ha! I was going to mention that, but I knew your amazing attention to detail would "Cover" it! Thank you so much.

sketchcardsaloon.com
Old 04-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Rian - Seen any more rebel squirrel girl puzzles?

You should commission a Squirrel Girl vs Daryl Dixon sketch puzzle
Old 04-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

I may buy. On the fence. If I spend a couple hundred here then I'll most likely have to pass on IM3. Gonna see what new info I can find on that upcoming UD release this weekend.

I like puzzles but many of these forced puzzles just don't have the regular puzzle feel. There are a couple of really really nice ones out of my price range that I would really like. This Pajaron is one of my favories so far: 2013 Marvel Greatest Battles Sketch Mary Jane Dizon Paragan Pajaron 03 | eBay. There are a bunch within my price range that I am sitting on and hoping make it through the weekend, while I wait to see what else gets listed by the big players and the weekend warriors who don't have time to bust until Saturday.
Well being a domineering type I will commandeer a thread. That card you linked to is a mess. Unless the artist is really adept with the medium of choice a strong holding line is required. Now the cards may not be as bad as they look but the poor scans sure make a lot of possibly good cards look like crap.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Rian - Seen any more rebel squirrel girl puzzles?
Does this count?

sketchcardsaloon.com
Old 04-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #11 (permalink)

Re: prices

I'm not mad at the sellers for how they priced things, but it's just the sketches I'm somewhat interested in are priced where I don't think the sketch is worth that *to me*

I know some people get all hot about people trying to make money selling sketches, but I'm not one of them.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #12 (permalink)

I've been watching all the new cards listed, and I have to say some of them are really impressive, but I will agree with what was said about some of the cards with the characters just standing there seem lacking. I did find 2 boxes, because I did want to bust this product, so I do look forward to that.

This is the only purchase I have made, this card just jumped out at me from the get go, and Marvel Masters accepted my counter offer to his counter. Figured I would have loved to pull this from a box, so it was worth the price to me.

Mystafet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

Rian - No it doesn't count.. that's not Squirrel Girl!

Monkey - I did realize in my search this morning that the pricing is weird *to me* I though the Glebe's were listed awfully low for a 2 panel sketch at about the same price as a single panel sketch from those guys, with a couple of exceptions. Same with Roy's stuff... lower than I would have expected in comparison to what his MBA single sketches started at. But there are plenty of artists on the opposite side of the spectrum, cards listed at 2x+ what their single panel MBA stuff was listed at. Also, since each box contains a 2 panel sketch, I didn't expect the same 'premium' associated with 2 panel sketch for this set. Obviously they would be higher priced than a single panel sketch, but I didn't think it would be 2x. Especially since each box did contain the added hit of a gold parallel.

I do think this set will be an overall success for the dealers and flippers compared to the last two releases. We'll see. You can buy boxes and cases from DA, so they are available for anybody that wants to get and missed the pre-sale.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Skaughtt0 Send a message via AIM to Skaughtt0

Daredevil & Elektra by Jomar Bulda

^ Bought that one last night. It's been the only Daredevil pull on eBay that I really got stuck on so far.

For less than the cost of 1 box I got the card I wanted that an artist spent hours on. Sounds like a deal to me
Skaughtt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Monkey - I did realize in my search this morning that the pricing is weird *to me* I though the Glebe's were listed awfully low for a 2 panel sketch at about the same price as a single panel sketch from those guys, with a couple of exceptions. Same with Roy's stuff... lower than I would have expected in comparison to what his MBA single sketches started at. But there are plenty of artists on the opposite side of the spectrum, cards listed at 2x+ what their single panel MBA stuff was listed at. Also, since each box contains a 2 panel sketch, I didn't expect the same 'premium' associated with 2 panel sketch for this set. Obviously they would be higher priced than a single panel sketch, but I didn't think it would be 2x. Especially since each box did contain the added hit of a gold parallel.

I do think this set will be an overall success for the dealers and flippers compared to the last two releases. We'll see. You can buy boxes and cases from DA, so they are available for anybody that wants to get and missed the pre-sale.
I mentioned over on Scoundrel yesterday that I thought 1.5x would be a more successful multiplier--I think 2x is just not realistic in terms of what most collectors are going to pay for a puzzle. It's technically 2 sketches, but not really.

Last edited by monkeymcgee; 04-18-2013 at 10:53 AM.
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaughtt0 View Post
Daredevil & Elektra by Jomar Bulda

^ Bought that one last night. It's been the only Daredevil pull on eBay that I really got stuck on so far.

For less than the cost of 1 box I got the card I wanted that an artist spent hours on. Sounds like a deal to me
Bulda is one of those guys that I am surprised to see priced so low. His talents have definitely improved over the past couple years and I think his cards are good pick-ups in the $75-$90 range, for sure. I have a couple on my watch list and may end up making a play for them if they are still around this weekend.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #17 (permalink)

Yeah, The Bulda prices kinda surprised me as his cards have a nice look to them as does that Joshua Flowers kid. His stuff is real nice.
I'm already being bugged for AP's so This sets AP's will be up for commission just because to me the size of em is worth doing commissions on. Prices will be from $175-200 depending on how many characters and background elements. I'll probably have like 10. I don't know nor remember the AP ratio and too lazy to go look it up. Remember AP's look like my AP's not my pulled cards and oil paints may be possible.

Last edited by justice41; 04-18-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
Yeah, The Bulda prices kinda surprised me as his cards have a nice look to them as does that Joshua Flowers kid. His stuff is real nice.
I'm already being bugged for AP's so This sets AP's will be up for commission just because to me the size of em is worth doing commissions on. Prices will be from $175-200 depending on how many characters and background elements. I'll probably have like 10. I don't know nor remember the AP ratio and too lazy to go look it up. Remember AP's look like my AP's not my pulled cards and oil paints may be possible.
Alright--let's do this

Ghost Rider vs. Doctor Strange in a graveyard
Old 04-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaughtt0 View Post
Bought that one last night. It's been the only Daredevil pull on eBay that I really got stuck on so far.

Yes- nicely done indeed. I would be happy.
ManInTheMirror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Skaughtt0 Send a message via AIM to Skaughtt0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
Yes- nicely done indeed. I would be happy.
I didn't have a good Elektra vs Daredevil, so that card fit the bill nicely.

After scanning ebay for hours and hours, I feel like some of the cards from previous sets are among the best depictions of "greatest battles":

I wonder how splitting the scene down the center affected the decisions of some artists. Like Roy pointed out, many have one character on each card with not a lot of interaction in the middle.
Skaughtt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #21 (permalink)

Originally I didn't factor in the split of the cards and was drawing what I wanted but in about 5 cards I got an email with samples of how we may want to approach our layouts so I had to switch a lot of my previously sketched out cards to fit more the way they wanted them done. The first 5 were the ones I figured would get rejected but they made it in thankfully. That's fitty bucks and lots of time pissed away otherwise. I'm afraid what a lot did was juste enlarged a smaller, less complicated, scene .
Old 04-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #22 (permalink)

i know for previous sets, when artists did puzzles some tried to make each panel stand on its own because they weren't packed together. in this case, since they were always going to be packed together I don't know why that was done. as much as I like that Pajaron card, it isn't a great fight scene. Its just two quality poses that happen to share a background. I think the best fight scenes will get the most action in auctions. As Roy pointed out, stationary poses are much easier than action scenes.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
i know for previous sets, when artists did puzzles some tried to make each panel stand on its own because they weren't packed together. in this case, since they were always going to be packed together I don't know why that was done. as much as I like that Pajaron card, it isn't a great fight scene. Its just two quality poses that happen to share a background. I think the best fight scenes will get the most action in auctions. As Roy pointed out, stationary poses are much easier than action scenes.
Plus the more toothbrush spray and crazy colored backgrounds you have to mask atrocious anatomy the better your cards will sell too.
As I said on my last artcast the collectors mentality as I know it from when I was a collector was all about the excitement level of whatever it was I was looking for. Things had to have some ummffff to get my attention. This is why artists like Rob Liefeld have careers. Things don't have to be done well they just need to have some sorta splash or kinetic energy to em.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #24 (permalink)

talent helps... i tend to enjoy some of the more 'raw' or 'sketchy' less refined stuff more than the average collector. i will always prefer a fight scene over a stationary pose for a marvel comic sketch card. for other stuff, a pose suits the set. i don't want a bettie page fight scene

plus... as you mentioned previously, this is marvel's greatest battles so I expect the card to contain a battle! I have plenty of poses from MBA and other previous sets
Old 04-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
plus... as you mentioned previously, this is marvel's greatest battles so I expect the card to contain a battle! I have plenty of poses from MBA and other previous sets
What kind of battle is this?

Marvel Greatest Battles Aston Roy Cover Sketch Card | eBay

I don't quite understand that one.

sketchcardsaloon.com