Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Philly Non-Sports Card Show (May 4-5)

Anybody else attending Philly Non-Sports? As a dealer or a customer?

Philly Non-Sports Card Show The premier event for non-sport and entertainment trading card collectors General Show Information
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm going both days as a customer...
coalregion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Customer, bringing my oldest to his first card show.
mf1971999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

There's no way I can make it this year, but I've thought about maybe going in the future.

As a buyer, is it mostly to get commissions done or are there some decent prices on singles (sketches)? I would not be interested in getting wax unless it was really reasonable.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
There's no way I can make it this year, but I've thought about maybe going in the future.

As a buyer, is it mostly to get commissions done or are there some decent prices on singles (sketches)? I would not be interested in getting wax unless it was really reasonable.
As far as sketch cards from dealers go - There was nothing particularly fantastic at the October show. I think everybody who was there deals on eBay and the list prices were the same or higher. I guess you have the opportunity to haggle in person.

I basically got excited to go back this time around because the Perna's were going to be there. However, they have since cancelled do to some family health issues. I'm still going to go though, because its really inexpensive to get in and its just about an hour drive from my house. If I stay with friends its only 15 minutes

At last years fall show, there wasn't much I was interested in. I got a couple sketch commissions and picked up a bunch of supplies. Since the upcoming show is so soon after MGB and IM3, I am looking to maybe walk away with some stuff (not necessarily sketch). I've also heard the spring show is bigger than the fall show.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

I should be there on Sunday.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Anyone else planning to attend? Looks like some great promos...and a bunch of them!

Hopefully I will have 3 new AP's to show off next week!
Old 04-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

I will be at the show Saturday and Sunday. Rhiannon Owens is doing a couple of sketch card commissions for me, and I am excited to see what she came up with. Her work never disappoints.

It should be a fun show.
Darth Smittyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Here are some of my pick-ups from the show this weekend. Additionally, I bought a sealed box of SMA for $45 a MGB mini master (no gold foil), a couple of binders, tons of supplies, and of course there are all the promos. I also had a couple of my spellcasters print cards signed by the artist.

Fun story about what happens when you don't use facebook. I went up to Rhiannon Owens at the end of the day to pick up my commission and I asked her "Have you seen Meghan Hetrick today? She said she might be coming to the show." Meghan Hetrick, who was standing right next to me, responded "No, I'm not at the show today." I then started blushing and my voice cracked like a pre-teen girl meeting Justin Bieber as I asked her to sign my spellcasters card

Sketch Pickups -
Tony Starch by Jeff Zapata on an Iron Man #1 (commission)
Scarlett Johanson/Black Widow by Lark Sodul on an Avengers Assemble #1 (commission)
Savageland Storm by Rhiannon Owens on a Savage Wolverine #1 (commission, sadly I forgot the book on Saturday so there wasn't really enough time to do full color).
5Finity Female Persuasion 2 sketch card by David Namisato
5Finity Kitty Ditties & Pretty Ladies sketch card by Tom Hodges
Family Guy S:2 sketch card by Julio 'NAR' Naranjo
Attached Thumbnails
Philly Non-Sports Card Show (May 4-5)-zapata.jpg   Philly Non-Sports Card Show (May 4-5)-sodul.jpg   Philly Non-Sports Card Show (May 4-5)-owens.jpg   Philly Non-Sports Card Show (May 4-5)-namisato.jpg   Philly Non-Sports Card Show (May 4-5)-hodges.jpg  

Philly Non-Sports Card Show (May 4-5)-nar.jpg  
Old 05-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Nice pickups and I had a legitimate LOL from the story about Meghan
Old 05-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Here are some of my pick-ups from the show this weekend. Additionally, I bought a sealed box of SMA for $45 a MGB mini master (no gold foil), a couple of binders, tons of supplies, and of course there are all the promos. I also had a couple of my spellcasters print cards signed by the artist.

Fun story about what happens when you don't use facebook. I went up to Rhiannon Owens at the end of the day to pick up my commission and I asked her "Have you seen Meghan Hetrick today? She said she might be coming to the show." Meghan Hetrick, who was standing right next to me, responded "No, I'm not at the show today." I then started blushing and my voice cracked like a pre-teen girl meeting Justin Bieber as I asked her to sign my spellcasters card

Sketch Pickups -
Tony Starch by Jeff Zapata on an Iron Man #1 (commission)
Scarlett Johanson/Black Widow by Lark Sodul on an Avengers Assemble #1 (commission)
Savageland Storm by Rhiannon Owens on a Savage Wolverine #1 (commission, sadly I forgot the book on Saturday so there wasn't really enough time to do full color).
5Finity Female Persuasion 2 sketch card by David Namisato
5Finity Kitty Ditties & Pretty Ladies sketch card by Tom Hodges
Family Guy S:2 sketch card by Julio 'NAR' Naranjo
Nice pickups. After seeing your post I do believe I was standing next to you at RO's table when you pulled out the Savageland Storm. I have to post my pickups later and a dealer gave me a promo card from Dungeon Dolls that I've been looking for a couple of years...apparently there are less than 50 made but they were never given out at the SDCC when the set came out! I'll give a shout out to him later.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

This was a great show and I had the opportunity to attend my first Card Talk.

At the Card Talk I was picked to receive a Bettie Page binder with special promo, foil card and 4 other variants.

We then received the following which was artists doing a proof (these are just the prints) of a trading card set that was never done. Each artist gave the reason for their choice and then happily signed the print either after the card talk or at the show.

Then back at the show I was able to pick up the following prints from Sean Pence and Matt Glebe which both artist signed. I also commissioned a Jack Sparrow PSC from Mick & Matt Glebe so I can't wait until that arrives!

I then won the following door prize at the Treasure Chest table...Katie Cook variant still packaged.

Picked up 2 Bettie Page tins and a Dungeon Dolls set and pulled the following sketches. The promo card I've been searching for is here from SDCC. Then I found a Double-sided sketch card from Axebone from the Bettie Page set that I picked up.

Then I decided to try my luck with a case of 258 West Autos...not the best, not the worst. The final card was a nice surprise as I found it stuck to another card that I didn't notice at first. Quite a few repeat autos but a fun break.

Last edited by coalregion; 05-05-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Anyone have an extra of the Jedi legacy promo for sale?
mikeinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalregion View Post
This was a great show and I had the opportunity to attend my first Card Talk.

At the Card Talk I was picked to receive a Bettie Page binder with special promo, foil card and 4 other variants.

We then received the following which was artists doing a proof (these are just the prints) of a trading card set that was never done. Each artist gave the reason for their choice and then happily signed the print either after the card talk or at the show.
Nice hit on the Axebone! This was my second PNCS and I have no idea what a 'card talk' is. I should maybe read something sometime
Old 05-06-2013, 06:38 AM   #15 (permalink)

I forgot to add the first artist to be booked for the September show is Gary Kezele!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
This was my second PNCS and I have no idea what a 'card talk' is.
NSU's message boards is called Card Talk. They run a panel on Sunday mornings before the show at the host hotel. It's definitely worth attending!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #17 (permalink)

Oh and I was there Sunday. I didn't see any of you guys.

I was only there for a few hours, though, couldn't hang around long. I think I got all the promos that were given out. I grabbed a box of Mars attacks Heritage (Bruce Gerlach puzzle sketch) and Revenge of the Sith Widevision, but I'm waiting til Open That Box Day to open that one. Also picked up a couple Star Wars autos (Kenny Baker & Paul Blake) and the Revenants comic from the Glebes, and some supplies.

I won a Cult-Stuff Dracula set at the Card Talk breakfast, but I already had it so I gave it away.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post

I was only there for a few hours, though, couldn't hang around long. I think I got all the promos that were given out. I grabbed a box of Mars attacks Heritage (Bruce Gerlach puzzle sketch) and Revenge of the Sith Widevision, but I'm waiting til Open That Box Day to open that one. Also picked up a couple Star Wars autos (Kenny Baker & Paul Blake) and the Revenants comic from the Glebes, and some supplies.

I won a Cult-Stuff Dracula set at the Card Talk breakfast, but I already had it so I gave it away.
I believe you were sitting up front at the Card Talk...I was sitting at the back table near the door. I don't think I saw you walking around at the show but there was so much to look at, and look at a second and third time!
Old 05-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Nice hit on the Axebone! This was my second PNCS and I have no idea what a 'card talk' is. I should maybe read something sometime
Thanks but unfortunately the Axe was not in one of the sets, I purchased that separate for a decent price...considering the double sided are HTF.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalregion View Post
I believe you were sitting up front at the Card Talk...I was sitting at the back table near the door. I don't think I saw you walking around at the show but there was so much to look at, and look at a second and third time!
Yeah I always sit up front. Eyes aren't what they used to be.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #21 (permalink)

I remembered you saying you might be there so I kept and eye out. Oh well... Maybe in the fall we should make a 'Blowout Forums' meeting time/spot to demystify the identities of our fellow non-sports posters! Although Ted may be sitting at a table with a sign in front of him... who knows?

I don't stay at a hotel since its only about an hours drive. I suppose you can just show up to these 'card talks' regardless? I'll have to do that in the fall. If I can drag my ass out of bed, that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post

Old 05-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #22 (permalink)

Anyone have an extra Game of Thrones S2 promo.
rice71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
I remembered you saying you might be there so I kept and eye out. Oh well... Maybe in the fall we should make a 'Blowout Forums' meeting time/spot to demystify the identities of our fellow non-sports posters! Although Ted may be sitting at a table with a sign in front of him... who knows?

I don't stay at a hotel since its only about an hours drive. I suppose you can just show up to these 'card talks' regardless? I'll have to do that in the fall. If I can drag my ass out of bed, that is.
Actually you have to register on another site for a ticket for the card talk. They only have a certain amount of tickets since the room is small. I believe they also have a deadline for getting a ticket which is about 2 weeks before the show. Starts at 8:15 and ends around 9:15 so we can get to the show when it opens at 10:00. This was my first one and it was really fun. There will be pictures up soon for viewing too.