Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best Long Term Storage for Sketch cards?

Hi everyone, I recently have really gotten into sketch cards and have a nice collection going. What is the best way to store these? With all the inks, paints, etc I want to make sure they don't fade or stick to holders.

Pages? Sleeves with toploaders? Magnetic one touch holders?

Thanks guys!
BuffyCollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't know what the "best" answer is, but I have my standard sized cards in sleeves and in a nice binder (this one).

My larger cards (like the RA Artist Proofs) are in a standard binder unsleeved.

And then there's my SPACE sketches which are in the magnetic cases they came in (with one exception where the seller didn't send it in the factory magnetic case )

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not mad at the seller--just annoyed that my OCD storage plan is disrupted at the moment

Last edited by monkeymcgee; 04-22-2013 at 02:18 PM.
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Iím going to go with mylar sleeves and top loaders for most. The sleeves arenít cheap, but mylar is widely used by museums (and comic collectors) for preservation.

As for the cards done in oil = thick one-touch holders that donít touch the face of the card.
PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
I don't know what the "best" answer is, but I have my standard sized cards in sleeves and in a nice binder (this one).

And then there's my SPACE sketches which are in the magnetic cases they came in (with one exception where the seller didn't send it in the factory magnetic case )
They make a postcard sized toploader that I use when I send my RA AP's out. Think of the medium that the artists used when thinking of what to put them in. Acrylic paint is a kinda plastic so it can, if painted on thick, stick to any surface touching it when it warms up. Oils will stick to anything even a sleeve so space needs to be around them. I recommend buying the screw downs and using a tool to cut down the space a bit more kinda like a drill press or maybe going to a plastics manufacturer and seeing if you can get something like that done. That would work for cards like Viceroy and the MP cards. You know a router could do the job quite well.

Last edited by justice41; 04-22-2013 at 01:44 PM.
justice41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:

Not sure about the seller you mention, but out of my case, one of the sketches was in a penny sleeve and not a magnetic case as the rest. I mentioned this in my sale thread as especially interesting because when I tried to put it in a case from one of the other sketches, it kept popping the lid open.
Nicnac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
Not sure about the seller you mention, but out of my case, one of the sketches was in a penny sleeve and not a magnetic case as the rest. I mentioned this in my sale thread as especially interesting because when I tried to put it in a case from one of the other sketches, it kept popping the lid open.
Maybe the seller got it that way, but the card seems pretty standard to me (for that set). It's just annoying to have 38 cards from this set stored one way and then one in a toploader (until I get a mag for it). The seller did say it would be shipped in a toploader, so I only have myself to blame--I'm not mad at the seller (should have made that clear).

I realize it's a small complaint in the grand scheme of things.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Maybe the seller got it that way, but the card seems pretty standard to me (for that set). It's just annoying to have 38 cards from this set stored one way and then one in a toploader (until I get a mag for it). The seller did say it would be shipped in a toploader, so I only have myself to blame--I'm not mad at the seller (should have made that clear).

I realize it's a small complaint in the grand scheme of things.
Some sellers were afraid to ship out in the one-touches. I got a bunch that were placed in a thick top loader instead. I switched most of the Viceroy supplied 75pt one-touch holders out with 100pt ones, so I didnít care either way.
PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think the best way for the longevity of the card would be to store them in screwdowns that have the corners cut out and place them in an opaque container stored in a cool dark place. For painted cards, I'd use an extra thick (50pt+) toploader to prevent the painted surface from sticking to the plastic. For pencil/ink/markers a standard thickness screwdown should be fine. NOTE: Anything that claims UV protection will not prevent your art from fading, it will only slow it down.

Personally, I store most of my cards in toploaders in binder pages. Anything on display is in a screwdown or frame with some UV protection and is stored out of direct sunlight from any window.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Long Term Storage for Sketch cards?-full_page.jpg   Best Long Term Storage for Sketch cards?-maus.jpg  
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

I like it when the sketch cards are graded in the BGS Beckett Grading Services slabs, since it's encased and is in nice presentation cases.

It's authenticated, 'tho I'm not sure how reliable BGS is in detecting any actual fraud in the rendering or autographs of licensed cards (i.e. some artists are given "artist proof" blanks by the card companies and subsequently draw on ''em so are not distributed in packs, so from an authenticity standpoint, anything can possibly happen to those I guess)

I think the nature of a sketch card, being handled by an artist, who draws on the card probably places less importance on the grading of the edges, surface, corners and centering, as opposed to the quality of the rendering.

I think the encasing looks nice 'tho, and often identifies the artist and card release on the placard label too.
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

I put my favorites personal favorite cards (based on art quality/subject, not necessarily value) in One-Touches and store them in vault boxes.

The rest I put in pennysleeves and a toploader that is one size too big (usually in a 55pt or 75pt) and keep them in collector 'shoeboxes.'

My top 2 or 3 I keep in One-Touches and have them displayed on my art desk on those little acrylic 'easels' UltraPro sells.

I personally feel grading art/sketch cards is pointless for the reason Stat Monsters mentioned. The artist handled that card while creating that art piece... if a corner gets dinged or a back gets scuffed in the process, who cares - that's the nature of art. The 'value' of a sketch/art card should rarely be determined by its condition.

bucket - http://s1069.photobucket.com/user/SquirrelyThings/library
Super8er is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I think the best way for the longevity of the card would be to store them in screwdowns that have the corners cut out and place them in an opaque container stored in a cool dark place. For painted cards, I'd use an extra thick (50pt+) toploader to prevent the painted surface from sticking to the plastic. For pencil/ink/markers a standard thickness screwdown should be fine. NOTE: Anything that claims UV protection will not prevent your art from fading, it will only slow it down.

Personally, I store most of my cards in toploaders in binder pages. Anything on display is in a screwdown or frame with some UV protection and is stored out of direct sunlight from any window.
Where did you find those binder pages that fit the top loaders, that's pretty cool. Does Ultra Pro make those? I've been looking for a way better display all my cards in top loaders and that would be a great way to do it. Thanks for sharing!
sixtyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

I make them. I was tired of not being able to find an appropriate solution. There is a binder available (you can buy it from Blowout) that fits toploaders, but it isn't a standard size so I didn't find it to be acceptable.

I've offered them for sale, but they are time consuming to make so I don't offer them very cheap. There hasn't been much interest.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote