Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default a question about Benchwarmers...

Hello all!

As some of you may know, I collect a good deal of Benchwarmers. While I have been an avid collector since the early 90's, I've only had a vague knowledge of the company's history. I know it was started by Connie Woods and eventually bought by or taken over by Brian Wallos, and I've enjoyed them all along... That's the current extent of my knowledge.

I noticed the custom inscription redemption cards in 2012 Holiday were branded by Leaf. I also saw a YouTube video of a 2013 Summit box break that was hosted by Brian Gray. On a possibly unrelated note, a number of recent premium BW releases have come packaged in the same style boxes that Leaf uses.

Does anyone know the current structure of the Benchwarmer company? I love BW, but have a special disdain for Leaf. Are they connected at all, and if so, to what degree?

This curiosity started when I saw Gray hosting the box break, which irked me, but then I saw the contents of the break, which further irked me. It looks like a good number of the cards in those Industry Summit boxes are simply from previous series and just stamped with a foil "summit" logo and limited edition number.

This takes me back to 2009 BW Archives, which pulled the same gimmick of rereleasing older cards with new numbering on them. Suddenly rare cards aren't so rare anymore and your cherished 1/1 may now be brother to another similar 1/1.

Does anyone know more about the company?

Thanks for reading.

bucket - http://s1069.photobucket.com/user/SquirrelyThings/library
Super8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I know there is a partnership between Benchwarmers and Leaf now. I'm not sure to what degree. The new products do not seem to reflect the likes of Leaf however...As long as there's no Benchwarmers Valiant, i'm stay on board lol.

Not that refractors of Benchwarmers wouldn't be cool cause it would be...
Old 04-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Don't get me wrong, I think all of the recent BW releases have been solid, if not a bit repetitive (I'm looking at you Hot For Teacher 2 and Vegas 2). As long as the quality of the cards remains consistent (graphic design, card stock, on-card autographs), I'll stay loyal to the ladies...

What I hate - 'rebranded/restamped' releases like '09 Archives and '13 Summit.

What I miss - pack-based releases with base sets, inserts and autos that are hits, not the expected norm (I think 2011 Limited was the last).

What I wouldn't mind seeing - Chrome with on-card autos. Not with the crapola designs of Valiant, but the same themed/classy designs of regular BW releases. Imagine the 2008 BW design (the purple/pink one), but in chrome and refractor parallels. I'd buy that!

Can we get a petition going on this...

Old 04-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would love chrome parallels. i like the surfaces of the chrome a lot. I do love the 2008 Gold edition parallel design and totally get what you're saying.. i'd sign it haha. They are always going to have rebranded stuff it seems liike. Vault is pretty much like that, but I think that's why it's called Vault. As long as Cassandra's still in the product, i'll continue on!
Old 04-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

From what I know (and it may not be correct), it is my understanding that Leaf is the distributor of Benchwarmer cards. So Brian Wallos owns Benchwarmers and produces the cards, but if dealers want to order them, they go through Leaf.
aggie4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Makes sense, aggie. A purely business question... I wonder how it benefits Wallos to have someone else distribute for him, other than saving the headache of dealing with buyers?

Dooby, I think there's one major difference between Vault and Archive. Archive contained (if I remember correctly, I only bought 1 box) either the special "Archive" autos or older released autos/relics, and all of those contained the foil "Archive" stamp. Vault, on the other hand, contained either special "Vault" autographs or older rereleased cards, but the older rereleases did not have any sort of special stamping. Am I correct on this?

Also, if anyone else out there likes opening packs, I did hear Brian Gray offhandedly mention the imminent release of "2013 Bubblegum" in that same YouTube clip.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super8er View Post
Makes sense, aggie. A purely business question... I wonder how it benefits Wallos to have someone else distribute for him, other than saving the headache of dealing with buyers?

Dooby, I think there's one major difference between Vault and Archive. Archive contained (if I remember correctly, I only bought 1 box) either the special "Archive" autos or older released autos/relics, and all of those contained the foil "Archive" stamp. Vault, on the other hand, contained either special "Vault" autographs or older rereleased cards, but the older rereleases did not have any sort of special stamping. Am I correct on this?

Also, if anyone else out there likes opening packs, I did hear Brian Gray offhandedly mention the imminent release of "2013 Bubblegum" in that same YouTube clip.
you would be correct in the differences.

ugh Bubblegum.. garbage... not a fan.