Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 'The Wolverine' Movie Trading Card Set?

'The Wolverine' is due out this summer and I haven't heard anything of a trading card set. Nothing comes up in a quick (very quick) Google search. Anybody heard anything? Would love to get an adamantium claw relic
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Doubt FOX will let that happen. Upperdeck has the Marvel Movie Licenses so it would be on them.
justice41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think rittenhouse did the 1st movie

:jedi::jedi::jedi:
natbornkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Upper Deck has marvel movie lincence. Wolverine isn't Marvel Films. Xmen Spider-Man and Wolverine are all Sony/Fox so Rittenhouse could do a set, but they obviously aren't otherwise we would have heard something by now
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Probably not too keen based on how terrible the first movie was.
Nicnac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
I liked the first movie (Wolverine Origins). However this one is set after X-Men Last Stand, so its not a sequel to Origins.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

not to worry artists on the UD im3 set added in wolverine, some cool venoms, nova, phoenix, deadpool .. look out for those cameos in the im3 movie (or not)

i dont think all marvel movies get the card set tie in .. elektra, punisher didnt get any
im around, tired and busy w nonhobby stuff
ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't get all the hate for Origins all-of-a-sudden. When it was released and ~6 months afterwards everyone thought it was good to mediocre. Now like every other person is on the "hate bandwagon."

Hopefully there will be a movie set... the Rittenhouse set was Anthony Tan's debut.
BHotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHotz View Post
I don't get all the hate for Origins all-of-a-sudden. When it was released and ~6 months afterwards everyone thought it was good to mediocre. Now like every other person is on the "hate bandwagon."
In the geek scene it is very trendy to hate the things that the hivemind has identified as inferior.

Makes people feel cool.

I love that movie, almost as much as I love X-Men Last Stand. Both are colorful fun. Unfortunately, the "educated" geek prefers serious soap operas like Dark Knight.

sketchcardsaloon.com
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHotz View Post

Hopefully there will be a movie set... the Rittenhouse set was Anthony Tan's debut.
I know a lot of people that did not like it from the second they left the theater, myself included. I did not like the "updated" origin story of how he lost his memory, I really thought that at times the CGI was laughable (CGI claws was a big mistake), and I really did not like how they just threw in a few mutants (Gambit, Blob) without really giving them a purpose on the screen. Hugh Jackman gave it his best though so you can't lay any blame on him. The guy was just born to play this role.

Think about this, Jackman has been playing this role for 13 years now. Think of all the superhero characters they have recasted in that time span. He should get a lifetime achievement award just for being able to stick with it through the highs (X2) and the lows (Origins) and still play this character.

I know a movie that everyone loved at first and then turned on though, Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. I remember leaving the theater and whispering to a friend that I didn't like it and got reamed out by the group. Few months later, everyone hated on it like it was the cool thing to do. That alone almost made me turn and start liking it.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
I know a lot of people that did not like it from the second they left the theater, myself included. I did not like the "updated" origin story of how he lost his memory, I really thought that at times the CGI was laughable (CGI claws was a big mistake), and I really did not like how they just threw in a few mutants (Gambit, Blob) without really giving them a purpose on the screen. Hugh Jackman gave it his best though so you can't lay any blame on him. The guy was just born to play this role.

Think about this, Jackman has been playing this role for 13 years now. Think of all the superhero characters they have recasted in that time span. He should get a lifetime achievement award just for being able to stick with it through the highs (X2) and the lows (Origins) and still play this character.

I know a movie that everyone loved at first and then turned on though, Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. I remember leaving the theater and whispering to a friend that I didn't like it and got reamed out by the group. Few months later, everyone hated on it like it was the cool thing to do. That alone almost made me turn and start liking it.
Yah exactly. Every nerd I know hated Wolverine 1 immediately. The stupid helicopter jumping scene was ridiculous, right up there with Shia TheBeef acting like Tarzan in Indy 4.

I like X-Men 1 and 2, and First Class. I actually like X-Men 3 more than Wolverine 1.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Every nerd I know hated Wolverine 1 immediately.
That is an amazing confession. I guess we are not nerds, because we thought it was a great thrill ride. Big fun.

Who cares if it is possible, it is a comic book movie!

sketchcardsaloon.com
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

I enjoyed watching the Wolverine Origins movie. The card set was also very well done. Too bad Rittenhouse has not announced anything yet for Wolverine 2. I'm hoping that at the very least, we'll get some kind of expansion/mini-set.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

I liked Wolverine Origins, but compared to the better super hero movies it's pretty bad.
Colm Feore, Idris Elba, Kat Dennings
Chuck Bartowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian Fike View Post
That is an amazing confession. I guess we are not nerds, because we thought it was a great thrill ride. Big fun.

It's not about whether or not a particular action is possible in one of these movies since the basic premise itself it's relatively unbelievable. Why I didn't like Wolverine was mostly due to a lack of polish on a script that otherwise could have been great. What they ruined was his whole origin story with a bullet giving him amnesia and not the actual adamantium bonding. They also ruined the Deadpool character after getting the perfect actor to portray him. They also ruined the Gambit character by just throwing him in there for a few scenes but giving him very little to do. It was a problem mainly with a studio taking control of a franchise from talented filmmakers and forcing them to put in as many mutants as possible, whether or not it made sense. X-Men 3 also suffered from this as well. It was a mistake that they have since rectified with what was present in X-Men First Class and what I hope is present in The Wolverine.

The other thing that really bothered me was something I mentioned earlier, the CGI claws. In many of the scenes, when he had his claws out, it looked very cheesy when compared to the original trilogy, where he had prosthetic claws. I also think they changed that for The Wolverine which gives me hope that maybe 20th Century Fox realizes that maybe they made a few mistakes that really burned people.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

No need to justify why the Movie sucked. It just did.
justice41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksam View Post
not to worry artists on the UD im3 set added in wolverine, some cool venoms, nova, phoenix, deadpool .. look out for those cameos in the im3 movie (or not)

i dont think all marvel movies get the card set tie in .. elektra, punisher didnt get any
None of the sets under UD have been limited to characters in the movie. I don't agree or disagree, but in all sets (IM2, Thor, Cap, Avengers Assemble) there are tons of cards featuring characters completely unrelated to those movie plots or even the comic in general. That can't be blamed on the artists. Seriously, who wants to do 100+ sketch cards featuring just a couple of characters?

And no, not all marvel movies get card sets. Wolverine has the following necessary to drive a trading card set, and I'm pretty surprised this movie doesn't seem to have a set associated with it. Oh well... Gotta spend money to make money. Guess nobody thought it was worth it.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian Fike View Post
A common used, but incorrect argument. There is a logic that must be consistent within the universe the movie is set in. For example. What if, in one of the Dark Knight movies, batman, jumped over a tall building. "It's a comic book movie!" Wrong. It breaks the understanding of the physics of the character.