Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My WW2 binder (work in progress)

Thought some of you World War Two buffs might be interested in my grand project. The scans are large and I have added comments of interest. Ask questions if you have them.

So, here we go.

iCardz America at War - Band of Brothers:

Eagle eyed collectors will notice something much more rare than the Amos Taylor (which is a pain to find as it is). Yes, that is an Ed Tipper, signed, not pre-printed, on an actual trading card from the series, not one of the enlarged photos that have on occasion shown up on eBay. This was one of the blank autos from the set of nine (next scan) that was given to Ed Tipper at an appearance for him to sign. The gap up top, Forest Guth.

The full set of nine unsigned autograph cards. As best I can tell, these were sent to certain dealers as promos. Some of them made their way to the guys to sign. The official set only had 7 of them officially sign.

Sketches of mostly fallen soldiers.

I wrote about a couple of these guys here. Broke my heart each time I struggled to find any info about these 'boys'. Notice that someone did finally reply with more info about Vendelis. What he doesn't know is I had already made those calls when I wrote the bit about him, and never heard back from anyone.

From Legion magazine, this was the grand plan that iCardz had, to publish sets of trading cards with autographs, relics, motion cards, etc. for each of these topics. Band of Brothers was to be followed by The Pacific, and Canada at War - D-Day was printed but none of the rest were more than just these promos.

From Cult Stuff's propaganda set, my complete chases.

Which leads me to the only bit of propaganda I actually own. Not so uncommon but precious to me!

Misc. relic and period cards. The girl fishing is from American Beauties which were common pin-up cards at the time. The Nazi flag is a cigarette card from the time. The rest are from Topps series.

And as a counterpart to the Band of Brothers set, and since it seems we are getting to the end of the era of seeing sets of these being released since these guys are dying every day, from the recent Panini Americana set, all the Tuskegee Airmen. I could have collected these in the more modern Red White and Blue set, but preferred these sepia toned versions. I need to get off my ass and write about these guys in my blog!

Last but certainly not least, some of an ongoing quest to find guys who took part in the war and signed trading cards as parts of generally released series. Some of these guys experienced and did amazing things during the war.

Robert Clary of Hogan's Heroes was in a concentration camp, has the wrist tattoo, and lost family members in those camps.

Bud Moore earned 5 purple hearts, storming Utah Beach, helping rescue the Band of Brothers as part of Patton's Third Army.

Charles Durning stormed Omaha Beach, was later stabbed 8 times, and was at the Battle of the Bulge.

Russell Johnson flew 44 bomber missions.

My James Doohan autograph is in a Star Trek binder, but he deserves to be counted with these guys. He lost fingers, storming the beaches on D-Day, something that was well hidden through all his years on Star Trek.

Last edited by Nicnac; 10-29-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Nicnac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Wonderful collection you have there
Great work

lucky4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

That is extremely impressive.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Very nice, Nicnac
YakuzaShoeii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4444 View Post
Wonderful collection you have there
Great work
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubei777 View Post
That is extremely impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuzaShoeii View Post
Very nice, Nicnac
Thank you, thank you, thank you. We WW2 fans need to stick together. United we stand and all that, old chaps. Right then, CARRY ON!
Old 05-31-2013, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

Awesome, awesome stuff

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Great collection, thanks for sharing
MarsAttacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

That's an awesome collection! Very nice work!
/salute
Old 06-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Awesome! I'm a history buff so I can definitely appreciate this!
jrosales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post
Awesome, awesome stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsAttacks View Post
Great collection, thanks for sharing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfish View Post
That's an awesome collection! Very nice work!
/salute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrosales View Post
Awesome! I'm a history buff so I can definitely appreciate this!
Thanks all. If I ever get writing about these guys again, I'll update...
Old 06-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

These are awsome, I also just saw some Horros of War cards. I had no idea they made cards like this. These are awsome and a real piece of history.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

Outstanding Collection.

I wasn't aware that Jim Doohan lost some of his fingers, however. I was always under the impression (after reading some material on his life) that he piloted a Higgins Boat back and forth at Normandy under heavy fire- so this would actually make sense.

Brave souls all.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestKnight View Post
Outstanding Collection.

I wasn't aware that Jim Doohan lost some of his fingers, however. I was always under the impression (after reading some material on his life) that he piloted a Higgins Boat back and forth at Normandy under heavy fire- so this would actually make sense.

Brave souls all.
I misspoke when I said fingers. It is the middle finder on his right hand. There is one scene in Star Trek The Original Series where you can see his hand but they worked very hard to hide it otherwise.

From Wikipedia:

At the beginning of the Second World War, Doohan joined the Royal Canadian Artillery. He was commissioned a lieutenant in the 13th Field Artillery Regiment of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division. Doohan went to England in 1940 for training.

His first combat was the invasion of Normandy at Juno Beach on D-Day. Shooting two snipers, Doohan led his men to higher ground through a field of anti-tank mines, where they took defensive positions for the night.

Crossing between command posts at 11:30 that night, Doohan was hit by six rounds fired from a Bren gun by a nervous Canadian sentry: four in his leg, one in the chest, and one through his right middle finger.

The bullet to his chest was stopped by a silver cigarette case.

His right middle finger had to be amputated, something he would conceal during his career as an actor.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

As a vet, this stuff is wonderful. It almost chokes me up seeing this stuff. Men that shaped this country.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

That is a VERY NICE COLLECTION. I am an A&P mechanic( not my full time job unfortunatly)and do volunteer work on WWII aircraft. And have been lucky enough to work on and fly in several bombers. B-24,B-25 and the worlds only flying B-29. And getting to here the stories straight from the men who flew these incredible machines,did then and still does bring tears to my eyes. I especially love that Heritage Bombing map,if you ever feel the need to part with it,I call dibs;-)
AWESOME STUFF,GREAT JOB!!!
spacefanmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefanmick View Post
That is a VERY NICE COLLECTION. I am an A&P mechanic( not my full time job unfortunatly)and do volunteer work on WWII aircraft. And have been lucky enough to work on and fly in several bombers. B-24,B-25 and the worlds only flying B-29. And getting to here the stories straight from the men who flew these incredible machines,did then and still does bring tears to my eyes. I especially love that Heritage Bombing map,if you ever feel the need to part with it,I call dibs;-)
AWESOME STUFF,GREAT JOB!!!
Get out of here! I actually thought you had commented in this thread before but all this about working on and flying in these amazing aircraft!

The Commemorative Airforce out of Texas has an amazing collection of flying WW2 planes: -= COMMEMORATIVE AIR FORCE =-
Man do I miss the Oklahoma City airshow where they always show up in style (like flying in late in a B-25 lol)

Heh yah that bombing map, I picked it up on a BIN sale within minutes of the listing going up, from Japan. I had been waiting so long for one to show up that it was an anxious couple of weeks waiting for it to arrive.

It's amazing actually how many of the cards above are EASY to find any day on ebay but that are neglected by collectors because they don't depict an athlete or movie or TV star.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
Get out of here! I actually thought you had commented in this thread before but all this about working on and flying in these amazing aircraft!

The Commemorative Airforce out of Texas has an amazing collection of flying WW2 planes: -= COMMEMORATIVE AIR FORCE =-
Man do I miss the Oklahoma City airshow where they always show up in style (like flying in late in a B-25 lol)

Heh yah that bombing map, I picked it up on a BIN sale within minutes of the listing going up, from Japan. I had been waiting so long for one to show up that it was an anxious couple of weeks waiting for it to arrive.

It's amazing actually how many of the cards above are EASY to find any day on ebay but that are neglected by collectors because they don't depict an athlete or movie or TV star.
AEROSPACE AMERICA was an amazing air show( from what I remember was third largest in all North America at the time) We made the trek down from Tulsa every year. I was front row when Tom Jones had his accident(he was the air show director as well as "performer" in the show) that was the same year the Russian Antonov 225 was there,that is one Big Bird..
Again fantastic collection,I'm very jealous:-)
Old 06-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

The bombing map had a print run of only 40 cards..
Old 06-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
AEROSPACE AMERICA was an amazing air show( from what I remember was third largest in all North America at the time) We made the trek down from Tulsa every year. I was front row when Tom Jones had his accident(he was the air show director as well as "performer" in the show) that was the same year the Russian Antonov 225 was there,that is one Big Bird..
Again fantastic collection,I'm very jealous:-)
I didn't know they stopped the show! I loved attending. It was there that I saw a full 'stick' of Band of Brothers re-enactors jump out of a plane, and we met one of the real BoBs and spoke with him about his experiences on D-Day.

I too was there when Tom Jones died.

Quote:
The bombing map had a print run of only 40 cards..
I didn't know they were that limited. The BIN price was $149 or $179 (don't remember exactly) so I knew I had to jump on it quickly.

Last edited by Nicnac; 06-21-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:02 AM   #20 (permalink)

Amazing collection (and really, "Amazing" doesn't come close to describing it).
I had no idea Russell Johnson was a WWII pilot, or that he signed cards for a Twilight Zone release. Definitely have to pick up one of those now.
Thanks for sharing your collection!
SBelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadedaniel84 View Post
As a vet, this stuff is wonderful. It almost chokes me up seeing this stuff. Men that shaped this country.
Ditto.

Sometimes I have to actually have a second and take a breath. I do get a lump in my throat.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:53 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestKnight View Post
Ditto.

Sometimes I have to actually have a second and take a breath. I do get a lump in my throat.
I just had to relate a couple of my stories, From my days of volunteer work with the bomber I worked on.
One elderly gentleman standing under engine number three gripping the propeller very tightly, His fingers wrapped around the leading edge of the blade in a death grip. Tears were streaming down his face I couldn't help but be pulled to him. He spoke in almost broken sentences and related his story, How the magnificent B 24 had brought him through the war and saved his life. All the while remembering all of his "buddies"his "comrades" his "friends". The ones that didn't make it. I could tell these were memories this man carried with him on a daily basis. The tragic loss of his friends and the magnificent plane that brought him through alive. We Stood under engine number three and cried together.
Another great memory a young lady climbed into the cockpit when I was giving cockpit tours of the B-29 bomber FiFi. She was wide-eyed with amazement and was telling me how her grandfather flew B-29s in the war, She said he was a flight engineer so I sat her in the FE seat. A huge smile came across her face and her eyes welled up, But she did not cry. She told me how it was always her dream to sit in the same seat that her grandfather was in when he died during the war. I think that day brought her closer to her grandfather than any other moment in her life. I can assure you later that day I cried...
Old 06-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
I just had to relate a couple of my stories...
Thanks for sharing.