Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
I don't know the inside story, but I believe Jake was selling some of Roy's sketch cover work at one time (at least it was represented to me that way). So, I wonder if it might be someone else or Roy would have more info about it.
No clue, as I don't see Roy on his list.

Artists- Mercenary Art Studio by Jake Mackessy

This is sort of the reason though, why someone shouldn't start one of these threads though. I mean, I don't have all the facts - that's just the only person I know of who fits his gossip.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #27 (permalink)

Guys, I'm sorry. We have something to admit:

ViceroyCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #28 (permalink)

If I see that he represents and artist, I don't even bother. He was supposed to be in artist alley at the Wizard World show this past weekend. I didn't see him.

This is my favorite Jake Mackessy interaction. Jovenal Mendoza's first set was Marvel Beginnings 3. He posted at Scoundrel to pm him about an AP if interested. I had looked at his stuff. It was pretty inconsistent, but I liked the general style so I sent him a message. I got an email response from Jake Mackessy saying a single character MB3 AP (thats a standard 2.5x3.5) would be $125. I told him good luck and that I'd get back to him if I ever saw any evidence that Jovenal could produce something worth over $100. I've always been a little curious how much of that Jovenal would have seen.

Seriously, you can't be asking triple digits for a standard size AP when you packed cards are fetching less than $25 on eBay. The guy is an experience 'art agent' that represents many sketch card artists. He should have a realistic understanding of what an artist can expect to get for an AP card based on their level of experience, quality of work, etc... I would never tell an artist they are off their rocker, but I have no problem saying it to their agent.

For those of you who are curious, here is a Mendoza I pulled from my Iron Man 3 break. I like the style, but its a $20-$30 card at best. I could easily get an UD Marvel AP from a much more experienced and more consistent artist for $50-$75. Going over $100 opens a lot of doors.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViceroyCards View Post

Draw faster, or no gruel for you!

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #30 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to AceGambit3 Send a message via MSN to AceGambit3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViceroyCards View Post

LMAO that's good
AceGambit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't know the inside story, but I believe Jake was selling some of Roy's sketch cover work at one time (at least it was represented to me that way). So, I wonder if it might be someone else or Roy would have more info about it.
I recall that comment from Roy. Based on other statements Roy has made, I think it has been quite some time since they have worked together.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
Wait... they outsourced sketch card drawing to China??? LOL.
If that's the case you had better handle the cards with gloves, no doubt they contain copious amounts of lead and cadmium.
Incarnadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incarnadine View Post
If that's the case you had better handle the cards with gloves, no doubt they contain copious amounts of lead and cadmium.
I guess I need to stop licking my sketch cards now.

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #34 (permalink)

I didn't really work for Jake, I did the covers as a favor and he sent me a stack of Variants. He did sell 4 of the 10 covers I drew and I was paid exactly what I asked for. I know Jake was selling the Variants for 150 to 200 bucks as He was advertising them on a site I'm a member of and I don't think he knew that. I get's around. It may be Jake who is the agent, I just don't know. I know he does shop his guys around But I really don't know if he's telling them one price but getting another. I made it clear on my Variants that I wanted a specific price and what he made was his problem. Heck from the Blanks he gave me I made up for the 600 bucks I would have made if he sold the last 6 Variants. There is another guy out there doing the same thing. He tried to get me on a signature series as well and he said he had others doing work for him. So it could just as well be that guy or any other unknown art agent. I don't fault them, Not the companies or Agents or artists. It's all on them how they conduct themselves but when a person at a company basically lies to you then that's when you stop treating them in a professional manner.
justice41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
You are in Northern Virginia. That is not Virginia
That's what Virginia Senator George Allen said. EX-Senator George Allen, that is!
aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces View Post
That's what Virginia Senator George Allen said. EX-Senator George Allen, that is!
Trust me, you don't want me to go on a huge tirade about NoVA. Let's just say that if Cuccinelli is elected to a higher office, I'm moving back to Minnesota.

But back to the topic:

Quote:
The good news is there probably hasn't been a better time for artists to have direct access to consumers so they can make some money without having to do the sets if they wanted.
But also Topps is trying this model too, right? Aside from the ability to secure licenses to copyrighted elements, how is all this "artist agent" talk any different from what Topps is trying to do now?
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavojohn View Post
But also Topps is trying this model too, right? Aside from the ability to secure licenses to copyrighted elements, how is all this "artist agent" talk any different from what Topps is trying to do now?
I don't think the controversy is over the existence of an artist agent. I think its about established artists getting dropped from sets because the artist agent is providing foreign artists that will do more cards for less money. From the North American artist perspective, this is taking work away from them. From the collector perspective, this is reducing the overall quality of sketch cards in the major licensed sets. Whether or not this is actually a thing or just speculation is apparently still to be determined. But that is how I'm reading this thread. Still haven't seen the original FB post though.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #38 (permalink)

I sent a note to mashi (Wendy Chew) on Deviant a couple days ago asking about pricing for her walking dead 2 comic AP's. She replied today and had this to say:

Hi David,

Thanks for your interest. I'll check with my art representative and get back to you on the price.

- Wendy

mashi on deviantART
THE_BEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #39 (permalink)

If artists want to work with agents, I don't see why that's a big deal. Not everyone is comfortable doing negotiations or dealing with money exchanges.

Now if I was an artist who had an agent and that agent was undercutting me with cheaper labor when negotiating with card companies, that's a different kettle of fish.

(I used that metaphor just for Spider-Fan since he enjoyed it so last time)
Old 06-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #40 (permalink)

Ha.

Ha.

Heh.

An art agent? An art rep? Is there really a need for that in the sketchcard world?

I wonder what their cut is?
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #41 (permalink)

and i thoroughly enjoyed it monkey

i'd guess they get a minimum of 20% on any commissions/AP sales that come in through them plus they probably get some kickbacks from Upper Deck.. uh, I mean the companies for each artist they bring in.

maybe some people need an agent? id think most of you would do better with an administrative assistant to filter your emails and run out to the post office or the art store for you
Old 06-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #42 (permalink)

I figured this thread would've died out by now but I guess not. The original post about this was an exaggeration of assumptions made without any facts. The only truth in the whole thing is that an art rep got about a HANDFUL of artists overseas to do sketch cards. Not enough to be taking over everyone's work like it sounded. Everything else are assumptions. They are NOT getting paid only $1 per card. The ONLY reason these artists get paid less, is because the art rep gets a % from their pay. Thats what they signed up for when they agreed to work with the art rep. Personally, I don't need a rep and I would much rather keep all the money I earned. But there are some artists that can't handle the business end themselves so I can see why they might decide to get one. Hope this clear things up and end the rumor. The sky is NOT falling people.
Lak Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
they probably get some kickbacks from Upper Deck.. uh, I mean the companies for each artist they bring in.
lol, no such thing. I got them way more artist in the past and not a penny paid for it
Old 06-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lak Lim View Post
lol, no such thing. I got them way more artist in the past and not a penny paid for it
Time to come clean, Lak. You are the mysterious agent, aren't you?

(I'm kidding, of course)
Old 06-07-2013, 11:26 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Time to come clean, Lak. You are the mysterious agent, aren't you?

(I'm kidding, of course)
I helped introduced them to many artists when Nick/Bubby were starting with sketch cards. A good number of them were aspiring sketch card artists who joined my SCF group on FB. I didn't tell the artists about it, just recommended who I thought was ready for work. Its what we do at SCF. Help educate people about sketch cards and guide aspiring artists who want to work in the field. Its also a place for artists, collectors, dealers and company people to interact. We have close to 700 members but unfortunately its stuck as a CLOSED group. Or we'd have more exposure but it means most of our members joined through word of mouth. Which I prefer anyways.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
I helped introduced them to many artists when Nick/Bubby were starting with sketch cards. A good number of them were aspiring sketch card artists who joined my SCF group on FB. I didn't tell the artists about it, just recommended who I thought was ready for work. Its what we do at SCF. Help educate people about sketch cards and guide aspiring artists who want to work in the field. Its also a place for artists, collectors, dealers and company people to interact. We have close to 700 members but unfortunately its stuck as a CLOSED group. Or we'd have more exposure but it means most of our members joined through word of mouth. Which I prefer anyways.
Yeah, it's a great group (I am a member). I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't joined it yet.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #47 (permalink)

I just got a reply from her about the price:

Hi David,

I've checked with my art representative. The price will be USD$100 + USD$5 (shipping fee).

Please let me know if you're interested or you can email to: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.com
My art representative will discuss with you further.

Have a good day.

- Wendy

$100 seems kinda pricey for one of her AP's. That's probably going to be the standard for the artists with "art representatives".
THE_BEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:00 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_BEAST View Post
I sent a note to mashi (Wendy Chew) on Deviant a couple days ago asking about pricing for her walking dead 2 comic AP's. She replied today and had this to say:

Hi David,

Thanks for your interest. I'll check with my art representative and get back to you on the price.

- Wendy

mashi on deviantART
Am I the only one that finds that odd? She's basically repping for the Rep.
chris meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:56 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris meeks View Post
Am I the only one that finds that odd? She's basically repping for the Rep.
It is and it isn't.

Again, if she just wants to spend her time drawing and not dealing with anything else, then she's doing what she loves. How can that be a bad thing?

So many small businesses/small business owners fail because, frankly, they suck at the business side of things. They may have the single-best service or product around, but if they can't take care of the books and numbers, they're going to go under.

If this allows an artist to be happier, draw more and stay fed, then more power to them.

If the rep is actually providing a service that the artist feels justifies the money they're giving to them, then there's no problem. We all place value on conveniences in our lives and this is just another way for a person to make their lives easier.

As mentioned, if a rep is being sketch and quoting different prices to the artist and the client, then that's a huge problem that needs to get squashed ASAP - but I don't think anyone has any actual proof of that, simply stating that it *could* happen if someone was that big of a piece of trash.
bmemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
That kinda sucks actually. Even DirecTV gives you something when you refer a friend! In the business world, headhunters/recruiters always get something when the person they represent gets hired for the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_BEAST
$100 seems kinda pricey for one of her AP's.
Ehhhh... I haven't worked with Mashi before, but her cards are very popular so a $100 price tag doesn't surprise me. She has been doing sketch cards for a while and has a decent following. I remember some of her Marvel cards selling for prices that really surprised me. Like Marvel, Walking Dead is one of those 'premium' licenses these days, so she might even be asking a little more for those compared to other products. Personally, I would not spend that amount on one of her cards. If you like that style, you may want to consider Mary Bellamy. Walking Dead ATC set by *MaryBellamy on deviantART. I have commissioned her several times and have always been extremely happy with the service, price, and turnaround time. Added benefit, she recently joined this forum