Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #351 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaheras View Post
Tomorrow I'll be asking for permission to post at least an additional 24 color sketch cards for this series -- including two more four-card puzzles. At this pace, I just may be able to do a total of 60-70 in color -- maybe more.
Just got approval to share these:

rmaheras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #352 (permalink)

Those are great--I hope I get one of those puzzles
Old 08-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #353 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaheras View Post
Just got approval to share these:

I love the Martian raiding the fridge.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #354 (permalink)

Ted -- Yeah, that was fun.

I know these puzzles are all going together in one pack, but I still try and design each puzzle card so it can stand alone -- sort of like a sub-plot of the overall scene.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #355 (permalink)

Hard to believe I'm still having fun drawing the same stuff I was drawing 48 years ago -- monsters and army men -- as is clearly evident by the composition and accompanying illustration below I had to draw for a sixth grade composition assignment way back on Dec. 13, 1965.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #356 (permalink)

Russell, those are great. Besides the puzzle sets, I especially like the Mars landscape ones... and I love the style of the (human) soldiers.
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #357 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
Russell, those are great. Besides the puzzle sets, I especially like the Mars landscape ones... and I love the style of the (human) soldiers.
I figured no one has drawn much regarding Mars, so I'd explore that territory a bit. Glad you like the style of the soldiers. I'm trying to keep things circa 1962.

Since I spent 20 years in the Air Force, however, I may dabble with some newer stuff towards the end.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #358 (permalink)

One reason I didn't buy MA Heritage was that there were way too many sketches of Martian heads, so I am definitely liking all of the previews so far, I see lots of great bugs and soldiers and flying saucers, etc.

I also think the 4 card puzzles are a great addition, there are going to be some lucky collectors out there! Alvin, can you give us some idea of how hard it will be to pull a puzzle hot pack? I know a lot of the sketches haven't been sent in yet, so you don't have a hard count of them. But is the goal to have them be something like 1 in 10 cases?
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #359 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
One reason I didn't buy MA Heritage was that there were way too many sketches of Martian heads, so I am definitely liking all of the previews so far, I see lots of great bugs and soldiers and flying saucers, etc.

I also think the 4 card puzzles are a great addition, there are going to be some lucky collectors out there! Alvin, can you give us some idea of how hard it will be to pull a puzzle hot pack? I know a lot of the sketches haven't been sent in yet, so you don't have a hard count of them. But is the goal to have them be something like 1 in 10 cases?
Thanks, aggie, we made a point to show our sketch artists all of the new material such as the new giant bugs, variations on the martians, mutated monster men, robots, etc. and stress to them all the different things to draw, after seeing the feedback from Heritage sketches (see, fans can make a difference, and we do listen!).

I think last year a lot of the artists went in with nothing but the original cards as reference and so most of what you got were riffs on the cards or big martian heads. I admit as one of the sketch artists I too fell victim to that.

As for the "hot packs"...

The original plan was to just do FIFTY loaded sketch packs. We may have upped that at some point since a lot of artists are doing 4-card puzzles, but whatever the case it's going to be very rare.

That said, because the print run ended up so much smaller than anticipated based on initial orders, it may end up being less rare than we originally planned.

Last edited by alvin; 08-26-2013 at 09:28 PM.
alvin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #360 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
Thanks, aggie, we made a point to show our sketch artists all of the new material such as the new giant bugs, variations on the martians, mutated monster men, robots, etc. and stress to them all the different things to draw, after seeing the feedback from Heritage sketches (see, fans can make a difference, and we do listen!).

I think last year a lot of the artists went in with nothing but the original cards as reference and so most of what you got were riffs on the cards or big martian heads. I admit as one of the sketch artists I too fell victim to that.

As for the "hot packs"...

The original plan was to just do FIFTY loaded sketch packs. We may have upped that at some point since a lot of artists are doing 4-card puzzles, but whatever the case it's going to be very rare.

That said, because the print run ended up so much smaller than anticipated based on initial orders, it may end up being less rare than we originally planned.
how much smaller?

also the Original cards inserts stamped on front or back?

perhaps a smaller pre-order due to the price increase?
patzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #361 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patzee View Post
how much smaller?

also the Original cards inserts stamped on front or back?

perhaps a smaller pre-order due to the price increase?
Not sure about the stamp.

Can't comment about the print run, since I really don't work that part of the business, I just know it's not a big one.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #362 (permalink)

Tim Proctor

Old 08-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #363 (permalink)

Quote:
Not sure about the stamp.

Can't comment about the print run, since I really don't work that part of the business, I just know it's not a big one.
thanks for your reply.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #364 (permalink)

Quote:
Tim Proctor

I look at it this way: with all the beautiful sketch cards shown so far this will bury the sketch cards from Heritage, yes?

I'd love some opinions on this.

Alvin, when do you think we can get an artist list? will it be available before the release?

I know you said there were some artists on board that were not doing many? so a list was not possible yet.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #365 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patzee View Post
I look at it this way: with all the beautiful sketch cards shown so far this will bury the sketch cards from Heritage, yes?

I'd love some opinions on this.

Alvin, when do you think we can get an artist list? will it be available before the release?

I know you said there were some artists on board that were not doing many? so a list was not possible yet.
Well I don't want to make those claims, but i'd like to think it will, yes. I'll definitely have a list before release. Probably 2nd week of September, i'd imagine.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #366 (permalink)

I thought I'd post some of my "Mars Attacks" sketch cards. I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's work and was happy I was asked to help with the set!

This isn't a sketch card, but just a piece I did for fun! I may blow it up and make it a poster for my wall!
Old 08-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #367 (permalink)

Those are all great. I'd love to get any of them in a pack.
WTB/WTTF: Emmanuelle Chriqui Cards: Americana Prime Time Stars Signature Material #19; Americana Prime Time Stars Director's Cut Signatures #19A & 19B; 2011 ITG Canadiana Onyx Base Card; and Leaf Cut Signatures.
pinhead767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #368 (permalink)

There is some seriously fantastic work going into this set!
Old 08-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #369 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Yep! There sure is!
Old 08-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #370 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
I agree! Great stuff!
www.facebook.com/TikiTower
Zerostreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #371 (permalink)

I know you guys aren't fond of head sketches but when they're done well there's no denying they are awesome!

Old 08-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #372 (permalink)

Quote:
I know you guys aren't fond of head sketches but when they're done well there's no denying they are awesome!

Love the colors on his work.

What medium and tools do most sketches artists use? I use a brush pen, a pigma sensei marker, and watercolors. I still can't believe the details some people get at sizes that small.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #373 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRCrosby View Post
Love the colors on his work.

What medium and tools do most sketches artists use? I use a brush pen, a pigma sensei marker, and watercolors. I still can't believe the details some people get at sizes that small.
Personally I have been using prismacolor pens and a mix of prismacolor/copic/blicks markers. Many artists use those markers (which is why I chose to as well) but many artists use whatever medium suits them: pencil, pen, ink, watercolor, acrylic paint, oil paint, gouache, colored pencil, etc.

Yours are coming out GREAT so I can't say you're doing anything wrong!
Old 08-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #374 (permalink)

Quote:

Don't worry, when they are as good as this and Tim Proctor's, then I'm a fan of head sketches.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #375 (permalink)

Here is my own contribution to the "4-Card Puzzles" group for the hot packs... instead of doing one big image across four cards, I decided to do something a little different, and illustrate a sequence, as a girl is attacked, then turns the tables on the Martian.

I'll admit it kind of happened by accident after I noticed two cards I had done featured a blonde in a blue dress!