Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #376 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
Here is my own contribution to the "4-Card Puzzles" group for the hot packs... instead of doing one big image across four cards, I decided to do something a little different, and illustrate a sequence, as a girl is attacked, then turns the tables on the Martian.

I'll admit it kind of happened by accident after I noticed two cards I had done featured a blonde in a blue dress!
Although I'm not planning on busting any wax, the thought of commmissioning a couple cards had crossed my mind. I kinda had my heart set on a 2 card set where a martian was abducting a girl on one card and the girl was fighting the martian off on the other. I'm feeling very unoriginal now
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #377 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Although I'm not planning on busting any wax, the thought of commmissioning a couple cards had crossed my mind. I kinda had my heart set on a 2 card set where a martian was abducting a girl on one card and the girl was fighting the martian off on the other. I'm feeling very unoriginal now
Or maybe, as they say, "Great minds think alike!"
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #378 (permalink)

...and by the way, they'll be foil not wax

BUST EM ANYWAY! This set has to do really well if there's any hope to do a sequel and the story DEMANDS a sequel!!!
Old 08-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #379 (permalink)

The pre-sale period is over. Isn't the success of the set, from Topps' perspective, already carved in stone?
Old 08-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #380 (permalink)

Quote:
The pre-sale period is over. Isn't the success of the set, from Topps' perspective, already carved in stone?
Well I don't want to speak for the people who make those decisions, but my own take is this:

Yours is certainly a valid assumption, but i don't think it's as simple as that, especially for this set. Even if it sells well at the pre-order level, we need to know that fans *want* more.

There's a lot of factors that go into big decisions like another set and i'm not going to pretend to know all of them, but I know that the performance in stores is extremely important-- particularly for Mars Attacks where we're trying to establish a new ongoing franchise.

EDIT: the truth of the matter is I just want to see this thing do really really well!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #381 (permalink)

More from Jeff Miracola. For a hot pack. These monster mutants will be seen in the new story.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #382 (permalink)

Quote:
Well I don't want to speak for the people who make those decisions, but my own take is this:

Yours is certainly a valid assumption, but i don't think it's as simple as that, especially for this set. Even if it sells well at the pre-order level, we need to know that fans *want* more.

There's a lot of factors that go into big decisions like another set and i'm not going to pretend to know all of them, but I know that the performance in stores is extremely important-- particularly for Mars Attacks where we're trying to establish a new ongoing franchise.

EDIT: the truth of the matter is I just want to see this thing do really really well!
I may be over-simplifying things, but I assume that sales of this set is the number 1 driver as to whether or not a sequal will be green lit. I think of it like this... For Topps, MA:H was a success. From my perspective, every Target I go to has most of a retail box full of packs sitting in the trading card section. Its been well over a year since release. I don't see any GPK or WP released during the same approximate timeframe lying around. Anyway, that is a big reason I think the pre-sale is the larger factor verses end-consumer success.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #383 (permalink)

Quote:
I may be over-simplifying things, but I assume that sales of this set is the number 1 driver as to whether or not a sequal will be green lit. I think of it like this... For Topps, MA:H was a success. From my perspective, every Target I go to has most of a retail box full of packs sitting in the trading card section. Its been well over a year since release. I don't see any GPK or WP released during the same approximate timeframe lying around. Anyway, that is a big reason I think the pre-sale is the larger factor verses end-consumer success.
You're probably right, but this is a very different animal, and the goal was to see if we could create a new franchise, so there's a lot of attention paid to "end-consumer success" (with talk like that, you could work in the business!).

That's why we've focused so hard on making this an awesome set. I know I'd love to do more of them. Heck of a lot of fun working on this one.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #384 (permalink)

I knew the Target I got to sucks. They never had any Mars Attacks packs there.
WTB/WTTF: Emmanuelle Chriqui Cards: Americana Prime Time Stars Signature Material #19; Americana Prime Time Stars Director's Cut Signatures #19A & 19B; 2011 ITG Canadiana Onyx Base Card; and Leaf Cut Signatures.
pinhead767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:31 PM   #385 (permalink)

Quote:
Personally I have been using prismacolor pens and a mix of prismacolor/copic/blicks markers. Many artists use those markers (which is why I chose to as well) but many artists use whatever medium suits them: pencil, pen, ink, watercolor, acrylic paint, oil paint, gouache, colored pencil, etc.

Yours are coming out GREAT so I can't say you're doing anything wrong!
I'll have to try markers if I get the chance to do sketch cards again. I'm actually mixing watercolors which is time consuming. I think markers would apply much easier. Hey...it's my first time doing sketch cards!

Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/JasonCrosbyIllustration
JRCrosby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #386 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRCrosby View Post
I'll have to try markers if I get the chance to do sketch cards again. I'm actually mixing watercolors which is time consuming. I think markers would apply much easier. Hey...it's my first time doing sketch cards!
When I first started doing sketch cards last year, I started with watercolors and acrylic. After a few cards, I switched to the alcohol-based markers, and now that's all I'll use. I've found the Prismacolor markers and Copic pens compliment my traditional comic book art skills better than do watercolors or paint.

But that's just me.
rmaheras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #387 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaheras View Post
When I first started doing sketch cards last year, I started with watercolors and acrylic. After a few cards, I switched to the alcohol-based markers, and now that's all I'll use. I've found the Prismacolor markers and Copic pens compliment my traditional comic book art skills better than do watercolors or paint.

But that's just me.
I've found the best combination of quality and cost is Prismacolor. Pricey if you're new to it, but not as costly as Copics.

But boy, Copic markers are a DREAM! I sometimes sneak my wife's copic markers to supplement my own Blicks brand and Prismacolor markers. Prisma PB-46 i've found is the PERFECT color of the Martian suit!
Old 08-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #388 (permalink)

Quote:
I've found the best combination of quality and cost is Prismacolor. Pricey if you're new to it, but not as costly as Copics.

But boy, Copic markers are a DREAM! I sometimes sneak my wife's copic markers to supplement my own Blicks brand and Prismacolor markers. Prisma PB-46 i've found is the PERFECT color of the Martian suit!
I rarely worked in color back in the day, but in 1997, when I was working on a fully-authorized Steve Canyon 50th anniversary strip for the Air Force Times, I picked up 25 or so Prismacolor markers because, although the strip had been colored by a pro colorist friend of mine, a last-minute change to the strip required me to re-draw the final panels and color it myself.

It was the first time I'd ever used color markers, and one of the few times I'd done anything in color, and when I finished the emergency fix, the markers just sat there and gathered dust. Ten years later, while drawing the Steve Canyon 60th anniversary strip for the Air Force Times, I thought I'd just do the coloring myself. The markers I'd bought in 1997 still worked fine, but I still went out and bought about 30-40 more.

but then I ran into a deadline crunch, and since, at the time, I had a one-hour-each-way train commute to my REAL job every day, I tried doing the coloring of the strip on my laptop using Photoshop. The first day I managed to color three panels during my two commutes, so I put aside the markers and went with electronic coloring.

So when I started doing sketch cards for Topps last year, I already had a big stockpile of Prismacolor markers -- making the switch from watercolors to markers early on during the sketch card drawing process easy and inexpensive.
rmaheras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #389 (permalink)

I'll definitely try markers if I get the chance to do sketch cards again.

Facebook page:

Last edited by JRCrosby; 08-29-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #390 (permalink)

Quote:
I'll definitely try makers if I get the chance to do sketch cards again.
After the work you've done on this set i'm sure you'll have many more chances
Old 08-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #391 (permalink)

Quote:
Here is my own contribution to the "4-Card Puzzles" group for the hot packs... instead of doing one big image across four cards, I decided to do something a little different, and illustrate a sequence, as a girl is attacked, then turns the tables on the Martian.

I'll admit it kind of happened by accident after I noticed two cards I had done featured a blonde in a blue dress!

I almost missed out on seeing these. Glad I was searching for a pic of the Stan Lee card

BTW, you should sell prints of the Stan card.
ChrisM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #392 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
I almost missed out on seeing these. Glad I was searching for a pic of the Stan Lee card

BTW, you should sell prints of the Stan card.
If we do, it will only be at comikaze. We probably won't have the capability to sell merchandise at NYCC this year. We'll do some giveaways and some live events, if we can work out the logistics.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #393 (permalink)

Jason has done it again! WOW!

Old 08-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #394 (permalink)

Love that one.
WTB/WTTF: Emmanuelle Chriqui Cards: Americana Prime Time Stars Signature Material #19; Americana Prime Time Stars Director's Cut Signatures #19A & 19B; 2011 ITG Canadiana Onyx Base Card; and Leaf Cut Signatures.
pinhead767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #395 (permalink)

Quote:

Try the Kurecolor markers, Same as Copics in color quality yet cheaper and they sell refills like Copics. Just bought a few to try out and so far so great.
justice41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #396 (permalink)

One more 4-card puzzle I knocked out today.

Facebook page:
Old 08-31-2013, 02:20 AM   #397 (permalink)

Quote:
Jason has done it again! WOW!

Quote:
One more 4-card puzzle I knocked out today.

Both of these puzzles are awesome! I can't wait to get a box of these. May even have to purchase my first case of a product ever!
ekalbnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:32 AM   #398 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekalbnz View Post
Both of these puzzles are awesome! I can't wait to get a box of these. May even have to purchase my first case of a product ever!
THANKS!!! It's sad I have to send them back to Topps! There are several I'd like to keep myself!

Facebook page:
Old 08-31-2013, 05:15 AM   #399 (permalink)

Quote:
THANKS!!! It's sad I have to send them back to Topps! There are several I'd like to keep myself!
I don't blame you if they all looked this good!

BTW the 'monster' reminds me of the 'Toxic Crusdaer'
ekalbnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:41 AM   #400 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekalbnz View Post
I don't blame you if they all looked this good!

BTW the 'monster' reminds me of the 'Toxic Crusdaer'
He DOES look like Toxie.......crossed w/ Jason Voorhees! Guess I've watched those movies too much.

Facebook page: