Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #476 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I'm sure beastie would be furious if he shelled out his hard earned money on a box of MA:I and that was the sketch card he pulled.
+1. But seriously-- he's right that it's off. I just disagree that it ruins the whole thing. Everyone can have their own opinion and if he pulls it i'll happily trade him for it

But when it comes to puzzles, those little seams where art doesn't line up perfectly, and those brand logos that some feel ruin a composition? Well, to me those are the little quirks that make it uniquely a sketch card puzzle.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:59 AM   #477 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
I think the lower left card looks cool and the whole puzzle is awesome!
It is a nice puzzle, but what I was referring to I circled in pink. It clearly looks like the lower left card is off and not lined up with the rest of the puzzle.

Quote:
I'm sure beastie would be furious if he shelled out his hard earned money on a box of MA:I and that was the sketch card he pulled.
I wouldn't be furious, but I would be extremely displeased.
Attached Thumbnails
2013 Topps Mars Attacks Invasion trading cards-1234699_567463989979492_1596401202_n-1-.jpg  
THE_BEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:06 AM   #478 (permalink)

Quote:
+1. But seriously-- he's right that it's off. I just disagree that it ruins the whole thing. Everyone can have their own opinion and if he pulls it i'll happily trade him for it

But when it comes to puzzles, those little seams where art doesn't line up perfectly, and those brand logos that some feel ruin a composition? Well, to me those are the little quirks that make it uniquely a sketch card puzzle.
What I mean by it throws the whole image off, is that every time I look at it, my eyes are immediately drawn to the issue in question.

If by some freak chance I were to pull that puzzle, I will gladly take you up on your offer (as long as its a fare trade, that is).
Old 09-05-2013, 03:48 AM   #479 (permalink)

I think it would look cool if the cards were spaced out just a bit, Green matting with a low profile Black frame.

What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
2013 Topps Mars Attacks Invasion trading cards-.-copy.jpg  
Old 09-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #480 (permalink)

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I've never been a big fan of sketch card puzzles. The occasional 2-card puzzle is cool (especially if you have to hunt down the cards!), but anything more than that is silly. The borderes/logos always take away from the art (and bug the hell out of me in some cases), and if I wanted something larger, I would just commission a piece, or collect comic cover sketches.
PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #481 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitViper View Post
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I've never been a big fan of sketch card puzzles. The occasional 2-card puzzle is cool (especially if you have to hunt down the cards!), but anything more than that is silly. The borderes/logos always take away from the art (and bug the hell out of me in some cases), and if I wanted something larger, I would just commission a piece, or collect comic cover sketches.
Speaking of sketch covers, we'll be doing something like that at NYCC. Stay tuned...
Old 09-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #482 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_BEAST View Post
I think it would look cool if the cards were spaced out just a bit, Green matting with a low profile Black frame.

What do you guys think?
Yeah, I was actually going to mention that I bet it would look right in a binder-type of situation.

Nice work on the mock-up. That looks really nice.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #483 (permalink)

My LAST round of cards for the series before I mail them tomorrow. WHEW!

I had to prove I could do something other than puzzles!!

Old 09-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #484 (permalink)

I'd love to get any of those in a pack.
WTB/WTTF: Emmanuelle Chriqui Cards: Americana Prime Time Stars Signature Material #19; Americana Prime Time Stars Director's Cut Signatures #19A & 19B; 2011 ITG Canadiana Onyx Base Card; and Leaf Cut Signatures.
pinhead767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #485 (permalink)

You did a great job on your sketches Jason! Love the puzzles. And the shot of the Martian seen through the hole in the guy's chest is pretty cool.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #486 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
You did a great job on your sketches Jason! Love the puzzles. And the shot of the Martian seen through the hole in the guy's chest is pretty cool.
oooh now that card makes sense! Without the dangling spinal column I didn't recognize it!
Old 09-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #487 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
Thanks!!! Glad you like that one.....and that Alvin understands it now!
Old 09-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #488 (permalink)

Great idea Jason!
www.facebook.com/TikiTower
Zerostreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #489 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRCrosby View Post
My LAST round of cards for the series before I mail them tomorrow. WHEW!

I had to prove I could do something other than puzzles!!

You have done some very awesome sketches!
ekalbnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #490 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitViper View Post
I'm pretty okay with 2-card puzzles, especially since they make a couple different 2-card holders that the puzzles look really great dispalyed in. Otherwise, I don't want a ton of larger puzzles. I have a 4-card charity auction puzzle framed and it looks great, and I wouldn't mind have two or three more large puzzles framed for display. I don't have much interest in having a ton of them though.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #491 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm pretty okay with 2-card puzzles, especially since they make a couple different 2-card holders that the puzzles look really great dispalyed in. Otherwise, I don't want a ton of larger puzzles. I have a 4-card charity auction puzzle framed and it looks great, and I wouldn't mind have two or three more large puzzles framed for display. I don't have much interest in having a ton of them though.
I think most people would agree, that's why we'd never think of putting puzzles all over the place. We mandated a handful of 2-card puzzles and a small number of 4-carders, but my guess is that those will be few and far between.

In fact, the original notion of the "loaded sketch packs" was simply putting in 4 random sketches, but I think it makes it even more unique if they fit together, and let everyone know after the fact that you got them in one of these packs.

And gosh, if a collector pulls a puzzle set and would rather have singles, i'm sure there are plenty other fans out there that would gladly trade or shell our big for them!
Old 09-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #492 (permalink)

Quote:
And gosh, if a collector pulls a puzzle set and would rather have singles, i'm sure there are plenty other fans out there that would gladly trade or shell our big for them!

That's kinda my thoughts as well. I'll do a custom piece if anyone wants to trade me my 4-card puzzle "Face Off" (martian vs Marine) back to me if they manage to pull it!!!

Last edited by JRCrosby; 09-05-2013 at 07:31 PM.
JRCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #493 (permalink)

Quote:
I think most people would agree, that's why we'd never think of putting puzzles all over the place. We mandated a handful of 2-card puzzles and a small number of 4-carders, but my guess is that those will be few and far between.
Even if you have 100 or 150 loaded sketch packs containing a 4 card puzzle, that isn't exaclty going to make them common. They will still be quite special, falling well less than 1/case. And, yes, there are puzzle collectors out there. I've never had the dilemma of pulling one myself (sell or keep?).
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #494 (permalink)

Creator sketch card by Jim Nelson. I think he did 15-20 or something like that.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #495 (permalink)

So the creator sketches will be done on the cards with the green logo?
Old 09-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #496 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
So the creator sketches will be done on the cards with the green logo?
Yessir. There's also an entirely different back design. I'll see if I can scan one later and show it off, compared to a regular one.

All told there might be 100-200 creator sketch cards. Confirmed are Ed Repka, Alex Horley, Jim Nelson, Dave Palumbo and Ralph Horsley. Eric Wilkerson may also do some, but I have not seen any yet.

Jeff Miracola was a tough one because while he technically did set artwork, it was a chase card, not a base card (and the wording on the back is "by base card artist"), so he ended up doing regular sketch cards-- and more than the creators did, so that's a net plus for you guys!
Old 09-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #497 (permalink)

CBR has an exclusive reveal and article about the new set, specifically Earl Norem's 6 cards...

EXCLUSIVE: Topps, Earl Norem Tell The Origin of "Mars Attacks Invasion" - Comic Book Resources
Old 09-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #498 (permalink)

Quote:
CBR has an exclusive reveal and article about the new set, specifically Earl Norem's 6 cards...

EXCLUSIVE: Topps, Earl Norem Tell The Origin of "Mars Attacks Invasion" - Comic Book Resources
Great stuff! Love seeing the oils/acrylics and the brush strokes.

I was THIS close to doing a sketch puzzle farm scene similiar to Norem's featuring a kid with a shotgun in a barn.

Last edited by JRCrosby; 09-06-2013 at 04:01 PM.
JRCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #499 (permalink)

W00t! Technically not part of the set, but probably the most awesome thing ever.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #500 (permalink)

Quote:
W00t! Technically not part of the set, but probably the most awesome thing ever.

Very cool! Fingers crossed I can get my hands on one.
ekalbnz is offline   Reply With Quote