Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #576 (permalink)

Ahem...

Last edited by alvin; 09-23-2013 at 03:40 PM.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #577 (permalink)

Thought I'd post all 106 of my sketch cards. I've had a few people contact me through my Facebook page asking if they could buy a poster featuring all the cards. I said, "Nope...you'll just have to buy boxes and collect them all yourself!"

Old 09-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #578 (permalink)

Awesome work!
www.facebook.com/TikiTower
Zerostreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #579 (permalink)

ahem ahem. Easily the best binder we've ever done.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #580 (permalink)

That is a sweet binder--when will they be available?
Old 09-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #581 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
That is a sweet binder--when will they be available?
At launch, around Oct. 25.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #582 (permalink)

Hey Alvin what's the deal with the Artists Returns taking so long to be sent back to the artists? By the time we get the returns the sale possibilities are all dried up. Time for Topps to rethink that stupid policy.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #583 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
Hey Alvin what's the deal with the Artists Returns taking so long to be sent back to the artists? By the time we get the returns the sale possibilities are all dried up. Time for Topps to rethink that stupid policy.
The set isn't out yet. We don't return them until that time. I don't think that's a stupid policy.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #584 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
The set isn't out yet. We don't return them until that time. I don't think that's a stupid policy.
No I'm talking Galactic Files 2. If the returns are lost damaged or otherwise mistreated once outside of the artists hands what's the compensation? Another Blank? If the Return is pack inserted by mistake what's the compensation? Another blank? So we work hard and have to trust that ya'll at Topps will take care and return our cards unsoiled, unsullied or mistreated when a scan of the cards could be used to get approvals? I worked for a company that lost almost everyones Returns from a set and all we got was new blanks. It's a stupid policy. It wouldn't be stupid if Topps was adding something to the cards to distinguish them from the regular cards like a seal or stamp or something.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #585 (permalink)

Quote:
No I'm talking Galactic Files 2. If the returns are lost damaged or otherwise mistreated once outside of the artists hands what's the compensation? Another Blank? If the Return is pack inserted by mistake what's the compensation? Another blank? So we work hard and have to trust that ya'll at Topps will take care and return our cards unsoiled, unsullied or mistreated when a scan of the cards could be used to get approvals? I worked for a company that lost almost everyones Returns from a set and all we got was new blanks. It's a stupid policy. It wouldn't be stupid if Topps was adding something to the cards to distinguish them from the regular cards like a seal or stamp or something.
I don't work on SW. I have no idea how returns work. I understand your frustration but there's nothing I can do or say.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #586 (permalink)

It's cool I thought you worked for Topps in general. No one at Topps seems to respond to emails so thought I had a direct link.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #587 (permalink)

Here's a look at the cards I produced for INVASION.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #588 (permalink)

I like to see everyone's cards together. Seems like it would tell a story.

THANKS for sharing!
Old 09-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #589 (permalink)

Fifty more cards in a few days. There won't be any color splash on these though!

Old 09-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #590 (permalink)

Awesome Job Jason!
Old 09-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #591 (permalink)

Them's some quaility b&w sketches there.
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #592 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
Them's some quaility b&w sketches there.
Thanks Chris. Twenty six down with one night left to finish the remaining 24 cards. I have to put them in the mail tomorrow headed back to Topps. Looks like an all-nighter with caffeine and punk music for me.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #593 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRCrosby View Post
Thanks Chris. Twenty six down with one night left to finish the remaining 24 cards. I have to put them in the mail tomorrow headed back to Topps. Looks like an all-nighter with caffeine and punk music for me.
Then I'll expect a Martian version of this -

ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #594 (permalink)

The reason we needed more was because some really lackluster sketches came in from an artist or two this past week and we REALLY want to avoid including them.

I recruited Jason's Chalker and Crosby, Mark Finneral, and a couple other standouts to each do a handful more to hopefully replace them before we pack out next week.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #595 (permalink)

You know for Future sets you guys may want to think about producing a style guide and model sheet. would help.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #596 (permalink)

Quote:
You know for Future sets you guys may want to think about producing a style guide and model sheet. would help.
I think you did fantastic without one, as did just about all the artists. We don't mind them being a little "off-model". In fact, we loved the imagination guys like you displayed. Your scenes were so intense and creative!

But to your point, if there's another set, we'll direct artists to the art from this one.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #597 (permalink)

Thanks Alvin with only three weeks to do the set I had to focus only on doing black and whites even though I drew most of them for color. I know 2 cards aren't making it into the set as they were from the Movie but to be fair I didn't get any paperwork with the blanks and only after numerous emails did I finally get the paperwork and saw that no Movie versions will be allowed. Topps really needs to get their talent response up to snuff. I hope the set does well and can I ask a favor. I did some puzzle cards but wasn't able to scan them, ran out of time, can i get a scan of the Rushmore puzzles? Thanks
Old 09-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #598 (permalink)

Quote:
I think you did fantastic without one, as did just about all the artists. We don't mind them being a little "off-model". In fact, we loved the imagination guys like you displayed. Your scenes were so intense and creative!

But to your point, if there's another set, we'll direct artists to the art from this one.
Thanks again and go ahead and post any you wish. I have almost all the scans if you guys want them just send me your email and I'll send them through an ftp. Then again I scanned some before adding final touches so the scans may look somewhat different from each other
Old 09-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #599 (permalink)

Quote:
The reason we needed more was because some really lackluster sketches came in from an artist or two this past week and we REALLY want to avoid including them.

I recruited Jason's Chalker and Crosby, Mark Finneral, and a couple other standouts to each do a handful more to hopefully replace them before we pack out next week.
Alvin, thanks for the update, and for letting us know this. It really looks like you are working hard to make this a great set, and I can't wait for it.

And for only having a limited amount of time to do extra cards, Jason Crosby's black and white sketches are great!

Some artists have really upped their game on the sketches they did for this set, and I hope Topps rewards them by making sure they get invited to not just any future Mars Attacks sets, but to other franchises as well. I would love to see what some of them would do for Star Wars!
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #600 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
Alvin, thanks for the update, and for letting us know this. It really looks like you are working hard to make this a great set, and I can't wait for it.

And for only having a limited amount of time to do extra cards, Jason Crosby's black and white sketches are great!

Some artists have really upped their game on the sketches they did for this set, and I hope Topps rewards them by making sure they get invited to not just any future Mars Attacks sets, but to other franchises as well. I would love to see what some of them would do for Star Wars!
If I may go off MA for second. Several of the artists on this set are on the upcoming Star Wars, including myself and Jason Crosby. There's a thread with some of our work here at BO. Here's the link:

Star Wars Illustrated