Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #601 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
Thanks again and go ahead and post any you wish. I have almost all the scans if you guys want them just send me your email and I'll send them through an ftp. Then again I scanned some before adding final touches so the scans may look somewhat different from each other
You're one of just two artists who's sketches I loved so much I made sure to scan every single one in hi-res before sending them to be packed out.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #602 (permalink)

Yeah I'm on Illustrated as well, Working on my cards right now just sketched out 25 of them. Trying to decide which will be color and which gray and black and white.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #603 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
And for only having a limited amount of time to do extra cards, Jason Crosby's black and white sketches are great!

Some artists have really upped their game on the sketches they did for this set, and I hope Topps rewards them by making sure they get invited to not just any future Mars Attacks sets, but to other franchises as well. I would love to see what some of them would do for Star Wars!
If he'll stop asking me to draw Martians, I'll get started on my Star Wars cards!! Just kidding......

I'll have two weeks for finish my S.W. cards, but don't worry. Instead of sleeping, I'll draw wookies, Vaders and Tusken Raiders...OH MY!

To me honest, I've had a blast drawing the space invaders. I think allowing artists to interpret them as they see does make the set better!!! Thank you for allowing us to Let our imaginations run wild.

I am curious about how my Star Wars cards will be perceived since I'm not a 'portrait guy'. That seems to be what most Star Wars sketch card sets are comprised of. I'm more of an action.....get slaughtered by a light saber...type of artist.

Last edited by JRCrosby; 09-27-2013 at 10:42 PM.
JRCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #604 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRCrosby View Post
If he'll stop asking me to draw Martians, I'll get started on my Star Wars cards!! Just kidding......

I'll have two weeks for finish my S.W. cards, but don't worry. Instead of sleeping, I'll draw wookies, Vaders and Tusken Raiders...OH MY!

To me honest, I've had a blast drawing the space invaders. I think allowing artists to interpret them as they see does make the set better!!! Thank you for allowing us to Let our imaginations run wild.

I am curious about how my Star Wars cards will be perceived since I'm not a 'portrait guy'. That seems to be what most Star Wars sketch card sets are comprised of. I'm more of an action.....get slaughtered by a light saber...type of artist.
As a lot of SW sketches are portraits, fans are going to go nuts for yours. Variety is appreciated.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:02 AM   #605 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
Thanks Alvin with only three weeks to do the set I had to focus only on doing black and whites even though I drew most of them for color. I know 2 cards aren't making it into the set as they were from the Movie but to be fair I didn't get any paperwork with the blanks and only after numerous emails did I finally get the paperwork and saw that no Movie versions will be allowed. Topps really needs to get their talent response up to snuff. I hope the set does well and can I ask a favor. I did some puzzle cards but wasn't able to scan them, ran out of time, can i get a scan of the Rushmore puzzles? Thanks
Send me a PM about the scans you want.

We let the two girl cards in. Not a big deal, really. Communication would be much better if we didn't have just two editors and 14 products a year.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #606 (permalink)

Quote:
Are you kidding? A really nice stationary pose is fine and dandy, but an action shot is the holy grail, in my opinion. A high quality action shot is difficult to find. A lot of artists just don't have the chops, or aren't willing to put in the effort, to draw a mini masterpiece with action and character interaction. These are the kinds of cards that have depth and tell stories.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #607 (permalink)

Quote:
As Spider-Fan said, sketches with action shots are very popular. Either because of the difficulty in drawing them, or the time constraints that artists are under, there aren't a lot of really nice action sketches available, so when you pull one, it's very desirable. Same thing with well drawn, detailed vehicles/space ships. You just don't see a lot of them, so they are usually very popular.

One thing I would caution you with, is if you do any puzzles. Star Wars puzzles aren't packed together, so please try to only do 2 card puzzles. Or only a couple 4 card puzzles. Putting together a 2 card puzzle can take some time waiting for the other half to appear, but is usually achievable. A 4 card puzzle is very difficult to put together, and anything bigger than that is almost impossible.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #608 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Are you kidding? A really nice stationary pose is fine and dandy, but an action shot is the holy grail, in my opinion. A high quality action shot is difficult to find. A lot of artists just don't have the chops, or aren't willing to put in the effort, to draw a mini masterpiece with action and character interaction. These are the kinds of cards that have depth and tell stories.
Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm excited to get started on the Star Wars cards. I just wish I could mix in the campy violence of Mars Attacks w/ the Star Wars universe. Luke GOTTA DIE!!

Just finished my last twenty seven Mars Attacks cards in one night. There's too many portraits for my liking, but they turned out fun. Also some would look better in color, but "ain't nobody got time for DAT!" The martians on the playground was my wife's idea.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #609 (permalink)

Quote:
As Spider-Fan said, sketches with action shots are very popular. Either because of the difficulty in drawing them, or the time constraints that artists are under, there aren't a lot of really nice action sketches available, so when you pull one, it's very desirable. Same thing with well drawn, detailed vehicles/space ships. You just don't see a lot of them, so they are usually very popular.

One thing I would caution you with, is if you do any puzzles. Star Wars puzzles aren't packed together, so please try to only do 2 card puzzles. Or only a couple 4 card puzzles. Putting together a 2 card puzzle can take some time waiting for the other half to appear, but is usually achievable. A 4 card puzzle is very difficult to put together, and anything bigger than that is almost impossible.
No puzzles in the Star Wars set!!! Every card is already a 2-card piece which folds in the center.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #610 (permalink)

Quote:
No puzzles in the Star Wars set!!! Every card is already a 2-card piece which folds in the center.
Ah yes, forgot about that for the upcoming set! Well, something to consider for any Star Wars sets you work on in the future.

Also, the last group of MA sketches is very nice, especially considering you did all 27 in 1 day!
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #611 (permalink)

Quote:
Ah yes, forgot about that for the upcoming set! Well, something to consider for any Star Wars sets you work on in the future.

Also, the last group of MA sketches is very nice, especially considering you did all 27 in 1 day!
Yeah....I wouldn't recommend doing 27 in one night.....but the sun was very pretty as it rose this morning.

As someone who doesn't buy boxes, I appreciate any feedback. I'll keep the puzzle thoughts (and people who collect them) in mind for any future sets I work on.

Last edited by JRCrosby; 09-28-2013 at 08:52 PM.
JRCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #612 (permalink)

When I do puzzles I always make sure there is enough of a singularity to each card that the other cards aren't necessary. I don't do those large single images that only occupy part of a card. Never understood why anyone would do that. Why draw a large pinup on 4 or 8 cards?
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #613 (permalink)

FYI:

We're packing the sketches this week. As soon as that's done i'll have a final list of artists. The one thing that's stopped me so far is that a few KEY artists have yet to deliver theirs to us-- some of whom you've even seen online!

Just some of the kinks we routinely deal with.

I should also have pix of the medallions and patch cards.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #614 (permalink)

Mantic will be live on KICKSTARTER on Friday. Their miniatures game will have multiple levels of pledges, one of which will allow you to purchase a pack of 5 Exclusive Mars Attacks cards, originally meant for "Invasion" but cut due to late delivery.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #615 (permalink)

Alvin, were you able to get a complete sketch card artist list yet? Thanks my friend.
patzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #616 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patzee View Post
Alvin, were you able to get a complete sketch card artist list yet? Thanks my friend.
See here

V
V
V

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
FYI:

We're packing the sketches this week. As soon as that's done i'll have a final list of artists. The one thing that's stopped me so far is that a few KEY artists have yet to deliver theirs to us-- some of whom you've even seen online!

Just some of the kinks we routinely deal with.

I should also have pix of the medallions and patch cards.
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #617 (permalink)

If I have time, i'll put it together today.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #618 (permalink)

Hi all. Here are a few samples of the cards I did for the set.

And the return cards.

Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #619 (permalink)

All of my cards have been approved, so I'll start sharing some.

I did a series called "Killing the Comics," kind of a "What If?" version of newspaper comic artists drawing Mars Attacks. The first one was already shared on Mars Attacks' Facebook page:

Here's another:

I did a handful of big cities meeting their demise:

This one's for Jason Adams:

And one of my favorites:
Old 10-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #620 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post

This one's for Jason Adams:

They are all awesome, however the Late Night Wars is pretty freakin RAD!

I want that bad boy.
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #621 (permalink)

Pablo Diaz' cards made me laugh more than any others have, so far.

That said, I hope "Death in Detroit" is one of many cities that gets attacked in this set. A nice follow-up to Ted's limited edition print "Frantic in Philly" (probably still available contact Ted for details).
Old 10-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #622 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Pablo Diaz' cards made me laugh more than any others have, so far.

That said, I hope "Death in Detroit" is one of many cities that gets attacked in this set. A nice follow-up to Ted's limited edition print "Frantic in Philly" (probably still available contact Ted for details).
Places you'll see destroyed in the new set:

Philadelphia, Georgia, Rockefeller Center, Los Angeles, London, Washington D.C., Nebraska, India, Moscow, Sweden, Indianapolis, Wall Street, the Bronx and Chicago, to name a few.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #623 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
Places you'll see destroyed in the new set:

Philadelphia, Georgia, Rockefeller Center, Los Angeles, London, Washington D.C., Nebraska, India, Moscow, Sweden, Indianapolis, Wall Street, the Bronx and Chicago, to name a few.
But not all from me! I think I did 5 or 6. One is a two-card puzzle.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #624 (permalink)

Isn't life in Nebraska difficult enough already!
Old 10-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #625 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
But not all from me! I think I did 5 or 6. One is a two-card puzzle.
The places listed are in the 58 card story part of the set.