Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #626 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
The places listed are in the 58 card story part of the set.
Oh I thought you meant within the sketches.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #627 (permalink)

Will be my last set for Topps.This whole artist returns thing just aint worth dealing with any company over. If the cards don't show up by Friday I'm also not doing the Star Wars Illustrated set. No point continuing with any company that can't answer simple messages or treat the people they ask to work for them with the same courtesy. If you ask us to do a quick turn around on the sketch cards at least do the same with what we are owed like payment and Artists Returns or AP's.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #628 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
Will be my last set for Topps.This whole artist returns thing just aint worth dealing with any company over. If the cards don't show up by Friday I'm also not doing the Star Wars Illustrated set. No point continuing with any company that can't answer simple messages or treat the people they ask to work for them with the same courtesy. If you ask us to do a quick turn around on the sketch cards at least do the same with what we are owed like payment and Artists Returns or AP's.
All valid criticisms but please take your comments elsewhere.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #629 (permalink)

Here are some more...

I ran out of time at the deadline, so I had to do a bunch in black washes:

I also did a series in an Allen & Ginter style:

And here's one more comic:
Old 10-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #630 (permalink)

Nice cards!!
www.facebook.com/TikiTower
Zerostreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #631 (permalink)

As much as I love your comic take-offs, my favorites are the "Alien & Ginter" themed sketches. I arranged for Topps corporate to tweet them out today
Old 10-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #632 (permalink)

Quote:
As much as I love your comic take-offs, my favorites are the "Alien & Ginter" themed sketches. I arranged for Topps corporate to tweet them out today
I don't do Twitter, but that's freakin cool! Thanks.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #633 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm beginning to feel the same way.

I'm really not one to speak badly of an employer in public...never find it professional. But, it really is hard to stay quiet when they don't treat you with the same respect, professionalism and promptness they demand from you, in return. "We need you to do all these cards in three weeks. You'll get your cards back in two months. Oh wait...sorry...we meant three months."

When people see badly drawn cards and complain? There's your reason, 3 out of 5 times...an otherwise good artist probably doesn't have the time to put his best effort into every card, as much as he'd like to. I always try, but it's near impossible with some of the deadlines you're given...especially the freelancers who also carry full-time day jobs, early in their careers.

Last edited by vandavisart; 10-03-2013 at 06:43 PM.
vandavisart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #634 (permalink)

Quote:
Great.... Now Ted is attacking cell phones! Are there no limits to his madness!
(for those of you who are unaware, that is a hilarious reference to the limited "Ted Attacks" promo card)
Old 10-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #635 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Great.... Now Ted is attacking cell phones! Are there no limits to his madness!
(for those of you who are unaware, that is a hilarious reference to the limited "Ted Attacks" promo card)
Ummmmm.... huh?
Old 10-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #636 (permalink)

Isn't 'tweet' a cell phone thing? I don't use any of that stuff... so maybe I'm crazy?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #637 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandavisart View Post
I'm beginning to feel the same way.

I'm really not one to speak badly of an employer in public...never find it professional. But, it really is hard to stay quiet when they don't treat you with the same respect, professionalism and promptness they demand from you, in return. "We need you to do all these cards in three weeks. You'll get your cards back in two months. Oh wait...sorry...we meant three months."

When people see badly drawn cards and complain? There's your reason, 3 out of 5 times...an otherwise good artist probably doesn't have the time to put his best effort into every card, as much as he'd like to. I always try, but it's near impossible with some of the deadlines you're given...especially the freelancers who also carry full-time day jobs, early in their careers.
As i said-- start a new thread if you must, but take this elsewhere please.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #638 (permalink)

Alvin - As much as I agree with you, this isn't exactly your thread to tell people what they can and can't post. This is a Mars Attacks: Invasion thread, started by Hellfish, and if they are bitching about not getting paid for work they did for the set then it is relevant to the thread. It may be something consumers want to consider when deciding whether or not to purchase. Just like sketch card previews and other set information that you provided.

I agree, I don't like the direction it takes the conversation in and there are already plenty of "Topps Sucks" threads available for this type of discussion, but it is not your place to tell them to take it elsewhere. If it really upsets you, notify a moderator and they will decide.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #639 (permalink)

Quote:
Alvin - As much as I agree with you, this isn't exactly your thread to tell people what they can and can't post. This is a Mars Attacks: Invasion thread, started by Hellfish, and if they are bitching about not getting paid for work they did for the set then it is relevant to the thread.
They're talking about other sets, but it's the same parent company.

I have a strong beef with UD, but I don't go posting in random threads for UD products about how they screwed me over 5 years ago. If the topic comes up I'll mention it, but I usually complain more about their overall ethical stance since that's more public record rather than my personal experience. Hell, I'll give them props if they put out a nice looking set, but past dealings are always in the back of my mind.

I guess it's my business as much as anyone else's now since this is a public forum, but if Roy had just said this would be his last set for Topps, it could have been left at that. I could piss and moan about a lot of things, but really, who wants to hear about my problems?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #640 (permalink)

Quote:
Alvin - As much as I agree with you, this isn't exactly your thread to tell people what they can and can't post. This is a Mars Attacks: Invasion thread, started by Hellfish, and if they are bitching about not getting paid for work they did for the set then it is relevant to the thread. It may be something consumers want to consider when deciding whether or not to purchase. Just like sketch card previews and other set information that you provided.

I agree, I don't like the direction it takes the conversation in and there are already plenty of "Topps Sucks" threads available for this type of discussion, but it is not your place to tell them to take it elsewhere. If it really upsets you, notify a moderator and they will decide.
But they're not. They're talking about Star Wars.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #641 (permalink)

Quote:
Isn't 'tweet' a cell phone thing? I don't use any of that stuff... so maybe I'm crazy?
It has something to do with teh internets.

So, about this new Mars Attacks set.....
Old 10-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #642 (permalink)

Alvin: I see the release date moved back a bit. Do you feel good about the current date I'm seeing (10/25) or do you think there could be another delay?
Old 10-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #643 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Alvin: I see the release date moved back a bit. Do you feel good about the current date I'm seeing (10/25) or do you think there could be another delay?
There were initially some issues with late delivery of assets then we ended up with some crud sketches and asked for an extra week to get replacements (which we did).

But to be honest with you I don't work that closely on the production side so I have to go by what i'm told and that is that we're currently on schedule for 10/25.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #644 (permalink)

Quote:
There were initially some issues with late delivery of assets then we ended up with some crud sketches and asked for an extra week to get replacements (which we did).

But to be honest with you I don't work that closely on the production side so I have to go by what i'm told and that is that we're currently on schedule for 10/25.
Cool--thanks Alvin. Just trying to figure out if I can squeeze in another pre-order or if I'll have to wait until after the drop date
Old 10-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #645 (permalink)

Mantic Games is offering up 4 exclusive Mars Attacks trading cards on their MARS ATTACKS: THE MINIATURES GAME project.

There is even a $15 pledge level that will net you ONLY the cards if that's all you want.

http://www.kickstarter.com/pro...iniatures-game/posts
Old 10-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #646 (permalink)

Quote:
Mantic Games is offering up 4 exclusive Mars Attacks trading cards on their MARS ATTACKS: THE MINIATURES GAME project.

There is even a $15 pledge level that will net you ONLY the cards if that's all you want.

http://www.kickstarter.com/pro...iniatures-game/posts
Aw, you can't pay with Paypal. Booooo!
Old 10-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #647 (permalink)

Actually, Alvin, Roy was saying THIS set would be his last. He then mentioned that he wouldn't be working on Star Wars if his returns weren't in by Friday.

I chimed in that Topps, as a whole, including Mars Attacks sets, have had horrible issues with demanding quick work from artists, yet taking twice as long as their (self-imposed) deadlines to pay many artists and get them their returns.

I then went on to address some of the posts I've seen here complaining about crap cards, by suggesting that part of the reason for otherwise good artists tossing out crap cards is the fact that they are often under unrealistic deadlines and an assumption that they will be waiting forever to get paid for what they do.

Don't wanna start up a whole new ball of wax, just clarifying the posts didn't start about Star Wars.

Last edited by vandavisart; 10-04-2013 at 11:17 AM.
vandavisart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #648 (permalink)

gone........ yoinks

Last edited by justice41; 12-05-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #649 (permalink)

I basically followed the Original 1962 sets storyline but updated. The military card was based on the Earth sending troops to mars to take it to em on their own soil. I made up the armor and ships. I did add stars to that card before shipping it off. I tend to scan before all art is done or I wouldn't have any scans.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #650 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't do slash work. I take my time and research my stuff and draw the art properly or as best I can. I maybe should have gone the funny route instead and just did comedic cards.
Before I go off, is this a dig? Because that's how it comes across. The way it's worded it sounds like doing funny cards is hack work, and requires no research or properly drawn art (or the artist's best efforts).