Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #951 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
When I got my case of comps for artists I thought the same thing! No idea.
doesn't make sense? I'd expected to see the Mars Attacks Invasion on the case just like Heritage...weird. It really doesn't matter or does it?
also did you notice how much smaller the Invasion case is than Heritage?

Last edited by patzee; 10-25-2013 at 11:34 PM.
patzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:33 PM   #952 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
here are most of my sketches from my first two cases

mars attacks invasion sketch from snoopy351 | eBay

is Little House Sugar-fueled lost brother from another mother?
Interesting...maybe Heritage Sketches weren't so bad after all.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:48 PM   #953 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
nice work - just keep watching gelavi and stormshadow for the good deals.

(they will be out soon enough, heh heh)
did you see how many original buy back cards they have up on ebay? Gelvi is truly invading ebay!LOL! it's like a plague!
It's Stormshadow Gelvi mania! Virus.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #954 (permalink)

gone........ yoinks

Last edited by justice41; 12-05-2013 at 10:47 PM.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:57 PM   #955 (permalink)

Understand after I scanned these I did go back and add the brains and some other minute details.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #956 (permalink)

Is Topps going to do a Dinosaur Attacks set for the 25th Anniversary? I remember reading something about this.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #957 (permalink)

MA:I Checklist?
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #958 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patzee View Post
Is Topps going to do a Dinosaur Attacks set for the 25th Anniversary? I remember reading something about this.
Note: I WOULD BUY THE #@#@#@#@ OUT OF DINOSAURS ATTACK!

That is all.
bmemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #959 (permalink)
Banned

My case is coming Tuesday. Very excited. Looks to be a fun rip.
HookEm19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #960 (permalink)

Any word on the print runs of the various movie autos?
Ty Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #961 (permalink)

I don't need the gold parallels, or the extra bloody, but I would really like the concept cards subset... which I don't think is in my future

On a side note, how many different cards are there of:
- Concept
- Patch
- Medallion
ChrisM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #962 (permalink)

I agree that the concept may be my favorite parallel. I'd love to put that set together, but it's going to be a long-term proposition. I'm focused on picking a few sketches for now. Just scored one of the Repka creator sketches for under $100
Old 10-27-2013, 01:25 AM   #963 (permalink)

Well, just found out that a guy at the shop pulled the 3rd piece of the puzzle I'm after. (see my box break thread). So instead of putting 4 in one box, Topps put 4 in one case... Not sure I'm a fan of that. (assuming the 4th is also in there)
Old 10-27-2013, 06:24 AM   #964 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Hope View Post
Well, just found out that a guy at the shop pulled the 3rd piece of the puzzle I'm after. (see my box break thread). So instead of putting 4 in one box, Topps put 4 in one case... Not sure I'm a fan of that. (assuming the 4th is also in there)
It should make it easy to acquire though. No shipping charges!
Old 10-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #965 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRCrosby View Post
It should make it easy to acquire though. No shipping charges!
The rest of the case is sold though and many people never sell what they pull. I worked out a deal for the third piece, but the lower left may be tough to locate.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #966 (permalink)

Quote:
The rest of the case is sold though and many people never sell what they pull. I worked out a deal for the third piece, but the lower left may be tough to locate.
I think it'll show. I doubt the person having only the one piece (not knowing you have the other 3 which will NEVER show), starts to collect a 4-card puzzle. I'm sending good vibes.

Last edited by JRCrosby; 10-27-2013 at 07:05 AM.
JRCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #967 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRCrosby View Post
I think it'll show. I doubt the person having only the one piece (not knowing you have the other 3 which will NEVER show), starts to collect a 4-card puzzle. I'll sending good vibes.
Hope so! It's a great looking puzzle. Worst case scenario though, I do have the best three pieces. lol Just need his hand!
Old 10-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #968 (permalink)

Quote:
Someone pulled all the pieces of one of my four-card puzzles -- it's up on eBay as we speak. So at least some of them must have been inserted as originally planned. Though I realize in your case, it's no consolation.
rmaheras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #969 (permalink)

I don't think I've ever heard of a puzzle being broken up and all inserted in the same case in separate boxes before. So weird.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #970 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaheras View Post
Someone pulled all the pieces of one of my four-card puzzles -- it's up on eBay as we speak. So at least some of them must have been inserted as originally planned. Though I realize in your case, it's no consolation.
At least 50 were inserted together. I don't know how many had to be split up, but it wasn't too many. I know near the end there were 80 4-card puzzles, and it just proved to be way too many to pack together (because the extra 30 would have meant losing 90 singles!)
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #971 (permalink)

Katie Cook posted all of her sketches on her blog. Also says she has one blank available

Old 10-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #972 (permalink)

I think we've seen enough breaks and singles on eBay to make a few observations about this product. Here are my thoughts:

Pros:

1. Base cards are a real strength--art is excellent, stock is excellent, finish is excellent, and there are some fun SP variations to chase

2. Speaking of SP variations, the concept variation is an awesome idea that I hope we'll see in some other products as well. I liked the different ways the concepts were done in this more than the concept cards for GPK Chrome.

3. The medallions and patch inserts were much nicer than I expected

4. Overall quality of the sketch cards seems like a big improvement over Heritage, although I will say the upper end of the sketches we've seen so far seems about equal with the best of Heritage IMO.

5. I think the size of the base set is just about perfect. You don't get so many dupes and it makes the chase sets more challenging.

6. In terms of reviving the Mars Attacks franchise for future card sets, I think Topps did an outstanding job with this product

Cons:

1. I understand the reason why, let me make that clear , but I'm not a fan of having some of the puzzles not packed together--especially if the artists did not know that ahead of time. Pulling a sketch that makes no sense without the context of the puzzle is not going to be a good experience for that buyer. If the artists make the puzzle pieces so each piece can be a standalone card, this wouldn't be as big of a deal.

2. One breaker on here had essentially two sketches that were duplicates. That's just flat-out lazy on the part of the artist and something that would really piss me off if I got one.

3. The very low end of the sketches is still pretty bad. I think I speak for most of us here when I say that Alvin fought the good fight on this and there was a big improvement from Heritage overall, but some of those "bad" sketches really hurt the product IMO. When I think about buying more of this wax, I'll admit that those weigh a bit on my decision.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #973 (permalink)

In defense of Con #1. When requesting that the artist do puzzle pieces, I was told to make each a stand alone.
www.facebook.com/TikiTower
Zerostreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #974 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
I think we've seen enough breaks and singles on eBay to make a few observations about this product. Here are my thoughts:

Pros:

1. Base cards are a real strength--art is excellent, stock is excellent, finish is excellent, and there are some fun SP variations to chase

2. Speaking of SP variations, the concept variation is an awesome idea that I hope we'll see in some other products as well. I liked the different ways the concepts were done in this more than the concept cards for GPK Chrome.

3. The medallions and patch inserts were much nicer than I expected

4. Overall quality of the sketch cards seems like a big improvement over Heritage, although I will say the upper end of the sketches we've seen so far seems about equal with the best of Heritage IMO.

5. I think the size of the base set is just about perfect. You don't get so many dupes and it makes the chase sets more challenging.

6. In terms of reviving the Mars Attacks franchise for future card sets, I think Topps did an outstanding job with this product

Cons:

1. I understand the reason why, let me make that clear , but I'm not a fan of having some of the puzzles not packed together--especially if the artists did not know that ahead of time. Pulling a sketch that makes no sense without the context of the puzzle is not going to be a good experience for that buyer. If the artists make the puzzle pieces so each piece can be a standalone card, this wouldn't be as big of a deal.

2. One breaker on here had essentially two sketches that were duplicates. That's just flat-out lazy on the part of the artist and something that would really piss me off if I got one.

3. The very low end of the sketches is still pretty bad. I think I speak for most of us here when I say that Alvin fought the good fight on this and there was a big improvement from Heritage overall, but some of those "bad" sketches really hurt the product IMO. When I think about buying more of this wax, I'll admit that those weigh a bit on my decision.
Re: Con #2. In my case for Mars Attacks Heritage, Despite being a cartoonist since the 1970s I had no idea there even WERE such a thing as sketch cards, and so when I did mine, I simply didn't know any better. I just went by what I saw some of the seasoned sketch card artists doing.
rmaheras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #975 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaheras View Post
Re: Con #2. In my case for Mars Attacks Heritage, Despite being a cartoonist since the 1970s I had no idea there even WERE such a thing as sketch cards, and so when I did mine, I simply didn't know any better. I just went by what I saw some of the seasoned sketch card artists doing.
I think doing similar cards is going to happen--it's just the nature of the property in this case that's there's not a huge universe of characters to choose from.

What I'm referring to is this, which is more like actually duplicating your work.