Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #976 (permalink)

Still waiting for mine to ship but the biggest con I observe is that the concept cards are waay to rare. Gold & Bloody & Gold/Bloody are just different versions of the same card. The concept cards are different and I won't feel I have a complete set if I don't have all of them... which is financially impossible, it seems.

Last edited by ChrisM; 10-27-2013 at 05:47 PM.
ChrisM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #977 (permalink)

Here's a look at 4 of the 6 exclusive cards available through Mantic Games' current kickstarter. Just a $15 pledge. They're sure to end up super rare.

alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #978 (permalink)

Alvin: Do those have the same gold foil as the Invasion cards or are they just printed yellow/gold?
Old 10-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #979 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
Here's a look at 4 of the 6 exclusive cards available through Mantic Games' current kickstarter. Just a $15 pledge. They're sure to end up super rare.

I've never played a tabletop game but this one seems pretty cool. I'm going to try it out.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #980 (permalink)

Who is this artist and what does the E-1 mean?

Thanks

edclay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #981 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Alvin: Do those have the same gold foil as the Invasion cards or are they just printed yellow/gold?
They're going to have foil logos-- originally we decided GOLD to mark them as special, but since the main set has gold variants, we're not sure what color we'll use.

But it will have a foil logo, and be printed on the same stock as our cards.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #982 (permalink)

Quote:
Disappointing that they won't be delivered until August 2014. I'm sure to forget about them long before then.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #983 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edclay View Post

Thanks

I'm not sure who the artist is, but I can tell you that the drawing is heavily borrowed from Bernie Wrightson's Swamp Thing cover for "House of Secrets" #92.
rmaheras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #984 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Disappointing that they won't be delivered until August 2014. I'm sure to forget about them long before then.
In terms of tabletop game kickstarters, 8-10 months is pretty standard turnaround time, with some as long as 14 months. Remember the main feature for this product is the game, which requires sculpted, tooled and manufactured miniatures and figurines.

Think about it this way: pay a paltry $15 now and get a nice surprise next August!
Old 10-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #985 (permalink)

This sketch wowed me - 2013 Mars Attacks Invasion Sketch Card Eric Kanalish B | eBay
A flying saucer blowing up the statue of Christ the Redeemer, in Rio.
ChrisM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #986 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaheras View Post
I'm not sure who the artist is, but I can tell you that the drawing is heavily borrowed from Bernie Wrightson's Swamp Thing cover for "House of Secrets" #92.
Wow.....now that you mention it, that IS the girl from the cover. I wonder if he has a martian behind her like the cover.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #987 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRCrosby View Post
Wow.....now that you mention it, that IS the girl from the cover. I wonder if he has a martian behind her like the cover.
So there's probably an E-2 somewhere?...
www.facebook.com/TikiTower
Zerostreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #988 (permalink)

Quote:
In terms of tabletop game kickstarters, 8-10 months is pretty standard turnaround time, with some as long as 14 months. Remember the main feature for this product is the game, which requires sculpted, tooled and manufactured miniatures and figurines.

Think about it this way: pay a paltry $15 now and get a nice surprise next August!
So where do these missing 5 cards fit in with the current set they were supposed to belong to, so I can make sure to leave the proper spot in the binder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
This sketch wowed me - 2013 Mars Attacks Invasion Sketch Card Eric Kanalish B | eBay
A flying saucer blowing up the statue of Christ the Redeemer, in Rio.
Not to knock that sketch, but I love I'd love to see what somebody like Ted or Gary could do with that excellent idea
Old 10-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #989 (permalink)

Quote:
So where do these missing 5 cards fit in with the current set they were supposed to belong to, so I can make sure to leave the proper spot in the binder?
They will be a special subset, with unique numbering. Storywise, there is no specific numbering, as each "subset" (even if they weren't marked) has a specific focus with it's own timeline.

This subset will focus on the human rebels, the Novas Vira.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #990 (permalink)

Quote:
Artist is Ben Dunn, and yes, that is what he does with his puzzles. So there is at least one other piece to that, though I have seen him do only 4-card puzzles.
sketchopolix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #991 (permalink)

Quote:

Not to knock that sketch, but I love I'd love to see what somebody like Ted or Gary could do with that excellent idea
I did one for the IDW books. But the statue was a Martian instead. There's some destruction going on in the background, though.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #992 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerostreet View Post
So there's probably an E-2 somewhere?...
I'd say there is an E-2 card looking something like this:

House of Secrets Vol 1 92 - DC Comics Database
Old 10-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #993 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
I think we've seen enough breaks and singles on eBay to make a few observations about this product. Here are my thoughts:

Pros:

1. Base cards are a real strength--art is excellent, stock is excellent, finish is excellent, and there are some fun SP variations to chase

2. Speaking of SP variations, the concept variation is an awesome idea that I hope we'll see in some other products as well. I liked the different ways the concepts were done in this more than the concept cards for GPK Chrome.

3. The medallions and patch inserts were much nicer than I expected

4. Overall quality of the sketch cards seems like a big improvement over Heritage, although I will say the upper end of the sketches we've seen so far seems about equal with the best of Heritage IMO.

5. I think the size of the base set is just about perfect. You don't get so many dupes and it makes the chase sets more challenging.

6. In terms of reviving the Mars Attacks franchise for future card sets, I think Topps did an outstanding job with this product

Cons:

1. I understand the reason why, let me make that clear , but I'm not a fan of having some of the puzzles not packed together--especially if the artists did not know that ahead of time. Pulling a sketch that makes no sense without the context of the puzzle is not going to be a good experience for that buyer. If the artists make the puzzle pieces so each piece can be a standalone card, this wouldn't be as big of a deal.

2. One breaker on here had essentially two sketches that were duplicates. That's just flat-out lazy on the part of the artist and something that would really piss me off if I got one.

3. The very low end of the sketches is still pretty bad. I think I speak for most of us here when I say that Alvin fought the good fight on this and there was a big improvement from Heritage overall, but some of those "bad" sketches really hurt the product IMO. When I think about buying more of this wax, I'll admit that those weigh a bit on my decision.
+1. Great assessment Monkey!!

So, had a local customer buy four loose boxes we had come into the shop. I was on the verge of busting them all weekend, and I should have! lol. So happy for him tho. He hit: a buyback card, a Dan Bretreton auto creative card, 2 other autos, 3 nice sketches, and a rare patch and a regular medallion. Here's the one pic I took of the sketch I liked from P. Hamill. In fact, I called him back to let him know of the buyback card. We didn't know what it was, just that it was in a penny sleeve.

Great job on this set tho. And I'll be kickin myself the rest of the nite lol.

Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #994 (permalink)

Quote:
They will be a special subset, with unique numbering. Storywise, there is no specific numbering, as each "subset" (even if they weren't marked) has a specific focus with it's own timeline.

This subset will focus on the human rebels, the Novas Vira.
Thanks. I didn't realize the base wasn't numbered straight from 1 - 95, since I haven't actually got a hand on any yet. Looking forward to getting my base set and finding a box or two. None of my local shops got them... Not even the guy who gets every GPK, Wacky, and Star Wars release. I thought for sure he would have had at least a box! Anyway, I'm hoping they hit Amazon soon because I've got a ton of Cash Back Bonus award to spend and this would put it to good use.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:17 AM   #995 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchopolix View Post
Artist is Ben Dunn, and yes, that is what he does with his puzzles. So there is at least one other piece to that, though I have seen him do only 4-card puzzles.
Thanks, I didn't want to list without giving the artist credit.
edclay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #996 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks, I didn't want to list without giving the artist credit.
...or making it easily searchable.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #997 (permalink)

Are the buy back cards all different conditions?
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #998 (permalink)

Was there an announcement about sp relics?
Igman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #999 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igman7 View Post
Was there an announcement about sp relics?
I guess it's like Galactic Files patches - similar relics on different cards.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #1000 (permalink)

My unofficial SP list based on what we've seen on eBay. There may be levels within these, but they seem more scarce than the others.

Medallions: 2, 4, 6, 9, 11, 14

Patches: 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 14, 15