Blowout Cards Forums
Labor Day

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #1001 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
...or making it easily searchable.
That too
edclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #1002 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo View Post
Are the buy back cards all different conditions?
Yeah, they are. The #30 that I pulled was in beautiful condition. I couldn't keep it though... To me the foil stamp destroys the card.
PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #1003 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitViper View Post
Yeah, they are. The #30 that I pulled was in beautiful condition. I couldn't keep it though... To me the foil stamp destroys the card.
Conditions probably ranged from a PSA 2 to a PSA 5. Nothing higher, and none were purchased slabbed. All loose. If we'd gotten EX or above we wouldn't have inserted them in the set because, as you say, it would be destroying a very valuable card.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #1004 (permalink)

I don't know if anyone else got in on them, but there were just some good bargains on the MA sketch auctions that ended in the last 30 minutes. Picked up a cool one by our own justice41 for under $16.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #1005 (permalink)

I always laugh when I look up my name on ebay and see the sold and resold cards. Crazy. One person buys an MGB puzzle for 40 and resells for 124. and so on and on.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #1006 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
I always laugh when I look up my name on ebay and see the sold and resold cards. Crazy. One person buys an MGB puzzle for 40 and resells for 124. and so on and on.
Well, given how nice the one I got was, especially compared to the overall average, I'm very happy with the bargain
Old 10-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #1007 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
I don't know if anyone else got in on them, but there were just some good bargains on the MA sketch auctions that ended in the last 30 minutes. Picked up a cool one by our own justice41 for under $16.
wow who ended auctions on a monday at 3:30ish est???

mine end tonight but i will be lucky to get $10 per sketch (due to quality, lol)
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #1008 (permalink)
Tim

Default my final assessment now that i have broken ten cases

agree with andrew above.

alvin fought the good fight and if it weren't for him, i shudder to think how it would have ended up.

pros:
  • card stock
  • new story
  • medallions
  • patches
  • golds
  • autos
  • concept art

cons:

• incredibly terrible collation (should have 8 heritage sets; i have 2)
  • way too many weak sketches - no difference at all between MAI and MAH
  • bad sketch
  • collation (almost every case had more than one of the same artist in it, and two cases had THREE)

I also wish the extra gore went beyond 10 cards to the whole set.

Ten cases is nowhere near enough to condemn my collation issues across the whole run. I do think I have seen enough sketches to comment on those, though.

I still love this release - there is so much to collect and most of it has a real collectibility feel - i can see true collectors going for the plate and medallion sets - the cards are incredible to see and hold in person. same with all the inserts.

I have had PMs from some boardies looking for specific stuff - I have hooked up a couple guys so far, so any needs just PM me - I have another ten cases to go.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #1009 (permalink)

How many cards are in these subsets (I listed what I think there are):
Gold Parallel - 95
Concept Parallel - 58?
"Extra Gore" - ?
Medallion Relics - 16
Patch Relics - 16
"Extra Gore" Gold Parallel - ?
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #1010 (permalink)

I noticed that I pulled a Jamie Snell sketch, but I don't see him on the artist list.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #1011 (permalink)

Quote:
I noticed that I pulled a Jamie Snell sketch, but I don't see him on the artist list.
Good find. He was added at the end and I guess I was working off the list before he was put in.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #1012 (permalink)

Could we get a checklist? Please.
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #1013 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
no difference at all between MAI and MAH
As someone who saw just about every single sketch from both releases, I can tell you this is simply untrue. I respect your opinion, and understand you've had some rough pulls, but by and large the quality outstrips MAH by a country mile.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #1014 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Quote:
wow who ended auctions on a monday at 3:30ish est???

mine end tonight but i will be lucky to get $10 per sketch (due to quality, lol)
uhh... duh... gelavi

there was one i had on my watch list that ended for under $15 while i was in a meeting (forgot about the auctions) and another i was outbid on. oh well. congrats Monkey.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #1015 (permalink)

Quote:
I still love this release - there is so much to collect and most of it has a real collectibility feel - i can see true collectors going for the plate and medallion sets - the cards are incredible to see and hold in person. same with all the inserts.
I do want to add that I am gratified that-- despite your disappointment with the sketches-- you were still able to really enjoy this set. I am happy to hear that it brought about a sense of fun and collectibility that's been missing for far too long in trading cards.

Regarding collation, my own experience has found that only the parallels seem uneven: the base sets seem very good (I didn't get any duplicates except for variants), the inserts like "Propaganda cards" and "Masterpieces" were fairly even across multiple boxes, and even "Early Encounters" while only getting-- what, 3 or 4 per box?-- were not too difficult to assemble.

It's the Heritage parallels that were very uneven and you seem to get lots of dupes, and it's a shame because that's really the coolest parallel (hence putting it 6 per box!).
Old 10-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #1016 (permalink)

Quote:
Good find. He was added at the end and I guess I was working off the list before he was put in.
So is it safe to assume that he didn't do that many cards?
Old 10-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #1017 (permalink)

Quote:
So is it safe to assume that he didn't do that many cards?
I think he did 50.

EDIT: funny how the two or three guys who did the most cards have yet to be pulled in large numbers. Marck Labas did 200, Jason Chalker did 200+ and Jason Crosby did at least 125-150. Mark Finneral also did 125 or so.

Those guys also did some of the best cards in the set.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #1018 (permalink)

I did a couple of loose boxes, got sketches from Russ Maheras and Locoduck. Both nice. Also got two medallions. Will be opening a case later in the week and will post results. The whole set is really well done, but I still need that checklist! I wasn't even sure what I was looking for with some cards in terms of subset numbers.
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #1019 (permalink)

Quote:
I think he did 50.

EDIT: funny how the two or three guys who did the most cards have yet to be pulled in large numbers. Marck Labas did 200, Jason Chalker did 200+ and Jason Crosby did at least 125-150. Mark Finneral also did 125 or so.

Those guys also did some of the best cards in the set.
I thought the same thing. I did 150 (100 color and 50 b/w) and I only know of 7 cards of mine that's been pulled....and three of them are part of one puzzle. I've seen 15+ Chalkers and at least 10+ Labas.

I ordered two boxes that'll be here in the next day or so. Maybe I'll pull the puzzle I REALLY wanted to keep as a return!
Old 10-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #1020 (permalink)

Update on the puzzle. Out of the case, all boxes were opened but one. I pulled two pieces and have one incoming from the guy who pulled the third (same case). I know for certain that the 4th piece wasn't pulled from the other boxes. Only one box left that I'm having reserved to rip myself this weekend. If it's not in there, Topps put three pieces to a puzzle in one case and the 4th God knows where...

Last edited by Ty Hope; 10-28-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Ty Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #1021 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Hope View Post
Update on the puzzle. Out of the case, all boxes were opened but one. I pulled two pieces and have one incoming from the guy who pulled the third (same case). I know for certain that the 4th piece wasn't pulled from the other boxes. Only one box left that I'm having reserved to rip myself this weekend. If it's not in there, Topps put three pieces to a puzzle in one case and the 4th God knows where...
I'm crossing my fingers for you, Ty.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #1022 (permalink)

Alvin: Will Topps release how many sketches each creator artist did? They seem pretty rare. I'm assuming Repka did the most based on what has turned up so far.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #1023 (permalink)

Quote:
I do want to add that I am gratified that-- despite your disappointment with the sketches-- you were still able to really enjoy this set. I am happy to hear that it brought about a sense of fun and collectibility that's been missing for far too long in trading cards.
Tell you what, I don't know anything about this property but after seeing the pulls the first day I ordered 15 cases myself.

This stuff looks like a blast!!! Good work.

Now I just need to open the case with the three Cooks in it
sketchopolix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #1024 (permalink)

Quote:
I just want to go back to a statement you made a couple months ago, that the people who buy this product 'expect' a sketch in every box. I think the fact that you have gotten very positive feedback about every aspect of the set, besides the sketches, should tell you that may have been a false assumption. I think people would have been happier with fewer sketches, with an overall higher quality of sketch. I understand that you need to make your two hits per box, but the non-sketch hits seem to be pretty popular and probably would have sufficed. I think everybody who broke a case would probably have traded their weakest two sketches for a medallion and a patch.

Looking forward to next years release, I'm hoping the sketch quality is improved by replacing the artists that submitted weak sketches with exciting new sketch card artists (like Hamer and Crosby did for this set). If that isn't possible, I'd rather you sacrifice the sketch ratios than get a dud box with a lousy sketch.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #1025 (permalink)

One gentle suggestion I would make for future products is to ask artists to cut back on the single Martian close-up--either just head or head and torso. The number of those sketches makes things a little less interesting IMO. I find myself being more interested in the "scene" cards, even when the art may not be as good.

And a sketch like this that capture a moment of tension is really great:

2013 Topps Mars Attacks Invasion Artist Sketch 1 1 Ben Dunn 2 Card Puzzle | eBay