Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #1026 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I just want to go back to a statement you made a couple months ago, that the people who buy this product 'expect' a sketch in every box. I think the fact that you have gotten very positive feedback about every aspect of the set, besides the sketches, should tell you that may have been a false assumption.
We'll just have to disagree then.
alvin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #1027 (permalink)

You guys are complaining way too much.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #1028 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
You guys are complaining way too much.
LOL--dude, you complain all the time up in here
Old 10-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #1029 (permalink)

Someone posted the the gore was subtle on some of the cards. I have card #80 which is not listed in what some believe are the 10 gore cards, but there is a small amount of blood spatter on it. Is it possibly part of the gore subset?
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #1030 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
Someone posted the the gore was subtle on some of the cards. I have card #80 which is not listed in what some believe are the 10 gore cards, but there is a small amount of blood spatter on it. Is it possibly part of the gore subset?
There's blood on the #80 base card.
PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #1031 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitViper View Post
There's blood on the #80 base card.
Hopes dashed.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #1032 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
LOL--dude, you complain all the time up in here
Legit gripes not entitlement issues. There is no such thing as a sure thing, Buying anything is a gamble. Crying about it is pointless.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #1033 (permalink)

Quote:
Legit gripes not entitlement issues. There is no such thing as a sure thing, Buying anything is a gamble. Crying about it is pointless.
Well, this ain't the Topps Complaint Line and Alvin can certainly ignore our suggestions.

Considering most of the posters here are people who buy these cards, I think it's okay to have a discussion about things we'd like to see done differently next time.

It is a hobby after all--part of the fun is talking about what we collect.

I'm really not seeing anyone crying here. I think almost everyone would say overall this product was as good or better than we thought it would be.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #1034 (permalink)

I received and opened 2 boxes today. I've been really busy lately, so I haven't been able to really spend time card-to-card as I'd like. The set looks great and feels great in-hand.

Started box 1 with the following sketch:
2013 Topps Mars Attacks Invasion trading cards-sketch1.jpg 2013 Topps Mars Attacks Invasion trading cards-sketch1_back.jpg

I'm not familiar with the sig, so I'd love any help there.

The second box had the following sketch:

2013 Topps Mars Attacks Invasion trading cards-sketch2.jpg

It looks like I'm a victim of the split up 4-card puzzles. It feels well-executed and I'm sure the whole thing would look great together, but there's a lot of whitespace for a single sketch. Feels kind of crummy (even understanding why that decision needed to be made). Ah well. At least I got a head?

But I did pull a neat patch:

2013 Topps Mars Attacks Invasion trading cards-patch.jpg

And I'm pretty excited to have gotten a Simon Bisley sig!

2013 Topps Mars Attacks Invasion trading cards-bisley_sig.jpg

The 1/4 of a sketch aside, I'm pretty happy. Can't wait to carve out some more time to sort and see what's what.

Also really dig the Anatomy cards. Super fun idea.
bmemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #1035 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmemike View Post
The 1/4 of a sketch aside, I'm pretty happy. Can't wait to carve out some more time to sort and see what's what.

Also really dig the Anatomy cards. Super fun idea.
I don't believe that's a 4-parter. Could be wrong, but I think it's just an odd composition. The first one I believe is by Phil Rivera.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #1036 (permalink)

There some neat stuff listed on ebay. Full heritage sets for $80, and two folks with complete gold sets.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #1037 (permalink)

Quote:
I can't believe i'm going to do this but... here goes...

In defense of the folks here, I have to say *most* fans i've heard on this message board haven't cried about the sketches, just made some gripes about lackluster pulls. Perfectly reasonable if you didn't like what you got. It'd be fair to gripe about losing a bet, too.

That said, there are certainly those who feel they are being ripped off if a sketch is poor, and those are the folks I disagree with.

To the point about wanting fewer sketches, i'll say that we considered it, and we did this with Jedi Legacy, but with MA, we don't have film cels or relics to make up that extra hit, so it wasn't as easy to do.

The notion that you'd be happy with everything else is also not sitting right, because if it were true, no one would complain about a lackluster sketch they'd just toss it and get excited about everything else. As Justice says, it's a gamble: you win some, you lose some. Unlike MAH sketches aren't the only pull, and there's lots of other stuff to enjoy, so by removing sketches we wouldn't really be accomplishing anything at all, if we're not replacing them with something else.

But one thing to always keep in mind is that beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder: many casual fans adore the same sketch cards many folks think are dreck. Believe me, I see it all the time on the MA facebook page. They think that pulling a piece of hand-drawn art is super cool, even if it's not a masterpiece or can't sell for more than $5. To them it's not about monetary value or high art, it's about pulling something rare and unique, and the idea that an artist drew this little sketch is cool to them, just as a freebie sketch at a comic con would be. I'm sure everyone can understand that. So if we removed those "poorly drawn" sketches, we'd be robbing casual fans of an exciting experience.

And its these casual fans we need to keep this hobby alive, because they could be the next diehard collector. Perhaps you could take those lesser sketches and give them to kids and tell them about how awesome sketch cards are.

Last edited by alvin; 10-28-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #1038 (permalink)

It's like when I got my GF2 comp box and got no sketch card. Once I posted I kept getting asked why don't I contact Topps and so and so.It was a free box why complain I didn't get this or that. Even if I paid for it I still wouldn't complain. Back in the 90s I used to buy cards by the boxes and had zero reason to complain if I didn't find what I was looking for. Made my set and Gave away all the other cards to kids to have fun with. In fact I still have the sets I made and got a lot of my cards autographed at cons by the cards artists. There comes a point where complaints turn to whining. Hasn't gotten that far yet here. I plan on buying for the first time since the 90's a box or two of this set as I really like the artwork on the cards. Just crazy stuff. Plus i will have ref for any future sets.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #1039 (permalink)

Plus you guys don't get it, when artists hear the negatives about the artwork it's not a booster or something that makes them want to try harder. Believe me most will say oh yeah well take this and draw a monkey or whip or Shum or Sawyer.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:47 AM   #1040 (permalink)

As someone who's been following every twist and turn of the Mars Attacks franchise since I noodled together my first set in 1962, I'm pretty happy with this new set. I had a blast opening the MAI box I ordered, and loved the variety. The whole sketch thing is a crapshoot, with a wide variety of quality (value) -- just like the auto draws in this and other card sets. Some of the autos are highly desirable; others are not. It's the luck of the draw.
rmaheras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:28 AM   #1041 (permalink)

Quote:
Plus you guys don't get it, when artists hear the negatives about the artwork it's not a booster or something that makes them want to try harder. Believe me most will say oh yeah well take this and draw a monkey or whip or Shum or Sawyer.
With all due respect, and Roy I think you are a hell of an artist and enjoy your work, but if you are getting to that point then you may need to move on to other things. As has been amply discussed here and elsewhere, none of you are getting rich off these cards so if an artist is getting to the point of saying, "Screw it, they get what they get" it's time to bring in new talent. The fact that you obviously put the pride in your work that you do tells me that you would not put your name to something like what we see from Shum and Sawyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
The notion that you'd be happy with everything else is also not sitting right, because if it were true, no one would complain about a lackluster sketch they'd just toss it and get excited about everything else. As Justice says, it's a gamble: you win some, you lose some. Unlike MAH sketches aren't the only pull, and there's lots of other stuff to enjoy, so by removing sketches we wouldn't really be accomplishing anything at all, if we're not replacing them with something else.

But one thing to always keep in mind is that beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder: many casual fans adore the same sketch cards many folks think are dreck. Believe me, I see it all the time on the MA facebook page. They think that pulling a piece of hand-drawn art is super cool, even if it's not a masterpiece or can't sell for more than $5. To them it's not about monetary value or high art, it's about pulling something rare and unique, and the idea that an artist drew this little sketch is cool to them, just as a freebie sketch at a comic con would be. I'm sure everyone can understand that. So if we removed those "poorly drawn" sketches, we'd be robbing casual fans of an exciting experience.

And its these casual fans we need to keep this hobby alive, because they could be the next diehard collector. Perhaps you could take those lesser sketches and give them to kids and tell them about how awesome sketch cards are.
I understand the sentiment, but you have to understand from my side (and I won't assume to speak for anyone else) I have MANY options to buy high quality sketch cards and these officially licensed pack-pulled cards are not the most economical way to get great work from a collector's standpoint.

I'm not an old time collector--I recently passed my 1-year anniversary--but even I have seen a consistency in quality when it comes to sketch cards from other companies that I don't see from Topps. Yeah, people may complain about value or boring poses or other minor things, but it's not very often that you hear people say about a sketch from a RA, Cryptozoic, or even Upper Deck product, "How the heck did that even make it in the product?" It seems like people still are having that discussion about some Topps products.

Not to belabor this point, but Topps did a much better job IMO with this product. I know not everyone is pleased with the amount of progress, but I think there has been a big improvement in the average quality. Is that enough? For Topps, maybe it is. Maybe from a business perspective they've reached the right balance of cost, quality, and customer satisfaction. All I'm saying is from my perspective, there's still some room for improvement, which I don't think should be difficult to achieve because I see it from Topps' competitors.

While the Facebook comments may be positive for all the work, how many of those commenting are actually buying this product or sketches on the secondary market? Topps has confirmed buyers here telling you what they think. A lot of companies would kill for this kind of detailed and relevant feedback from customers who are passionate about your product. That doesn't mean you have to do what we say or even agree with us, but I think the feedback is worth considering and it's not whining.

And that's the last I'm going to say about it...
Old 10-29-2013, 01:28 AM   #1042 (permalink)

Default One case Mars Attacks Invasion. Now we're Cooking with fire!

I have a second case coming in tomorrow, but not sure I'll be cracking it. Oh who am I kidding...
Got a case of MAI in today. Sketches are in the order I pulled them. I think I did ok... wink.
Never pulled a Maheras from MAH so glad to fix that on this set. And digging Chalker's stuff.
I'm assuming the Levine character is important to the new set, but not been through the base yet.
Also pretty glad to pull a Jusko and a Brown. Not sure on the rarity of any of it but
pretty sure anyone referred to as Corporate Guy can't be all that rare.

Cyan plate #90 Forefront of Invasion, Len Brown Auto, Joe Jusko Auto #15, Willie Garson Auto
MP-14, MM-8, MM-10, MM-16
I think that last medallion might be a short print, maybe Topps will release more info at some point.

Jason Durden, Ed Pasten, Wilson Ramos Jr., Adam Levine - character is General Jaret
Russ Maheras, KATIE COOK!!!, Kent Archer, Jason Chalker

Another artist missing from the checklist is Jeremy R. Scott. Love a lot of what he did on MAH and glad he was back on this one.
Devlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:33 AM   #1043 (permalink)

Wow Devlyn--that's an amazing break!!! You scored one of the suspected SP patches as well
Old 10-29-2013, 06:19 AM   #1044 (permalink)

I'm thinking that was the case I was meant to receive. Not sure how it ended up somewhere else.
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:25 AM   #1045 (permalink)

Quote:
Believe me most will say oh yeah well take this and draw a monkey or whip or Shum or Sawyer.
This is the part I worry about. When you see your peers doing poor work but continually getting rehired and paid the same as you, the temptation to lower your own standards has to be there - the broken windows theory of urban management applied to sketch cards.

I don't want less sketches replaced by other hits - that just makes those other hits less rare and therefore less valuable. Just keep working to increase the quality, as you've begun to do. I have faith. Start looking overseas for artists - Phillipines and Brazil have plenty of great talent that make strong efforts consistently. Mexico tossed in a few new names to the Marvel Retro set. Also, hire more women. It's been my experience they are less likely to draw dreck.

That's a debate I'd like to have - do you all agree that women try harder?

Last edited by sketchopolix; 10-29-2013 at 07:20 AM.
sketchopolix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #1046 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchopolix View Post
That's a debate I'd like to have - do you all agree that women try harder?
This probably deserves its own thread, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I think like many other environments the women who make it in the sketch card game are really, really good because they have to be to get a seat at the table.

If you cut down the male artists by 90%, you'd probably be really, really impressed with who was left as well.

I would love to see more female artists included just to have some different styles and point of views available. Given that there's no excuse based on who is coming from the comic world to draw these sketches since most of the artists are not from the industry, I don't see why there shouldn't be more women included.

On the other hand, I heard from another member that the original plan to only have female artists work on Cryptozoic's Women of Legend had to be scrapped due to not being able to get enough artists. If that's the case, then maybe there's a more fundamental issue that needs to be addressed either in how artists are being invited or how talent is being discovered.

Last edited by monkeymcgee; 10-29-2013 at 07:53 AM. Reason: women is not an adjective, needed coffee
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #1047 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlyn View Post
I have a second case coming in tomorrow, but not sure I'll be cracking it. Oh who am I kidding...
Got a case of MAI in today. Sketches are in the order I pulled them. I think I did ok... wink.
Never pulled a Maheras from MAH so glad to fix that on this set. And digging Chalker's stuff.
I'm assuming the Levine character is important to the new set, but not been through the base yet.
Also pretty glad to pull a Jusko and a Brown. Not sure on the rarity of any of it but
pretty sure anyone referred to as Corporate Guy can't be all that rare.

Cyan plate #90 Forefront of Invasion, Len Brown Auto, Joe Jusko Auto #15, Willie Garson Auto
MP-14, MM-8, MM-10, MM-16
I think that last medallion might be a short print, maybe Topps will release more info at some point.

Jason Durden, Ed Pasten, Wilson Ramos Jr., Adam Levine - character is General Jaret
Russ Maheras, KATIE COOK!!!, Kent Archer, Jason Chalker

Another artist missing from the checklist is Jeremy R. Scott. Love a lot of what he did on MAH and glad he was back on this one.
What a great break!!! Congrats.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #1048 (permalink)

Quote:
The birth of first Artist and first critic by means of natural selection - YouTube

You can either choose to ignore the negative comments, or take them to better your work. If you just give up, then your heart's not really in it.

If you choose to slack off and just draw monkeys or whips because others are, then you should probably find another source of income because that ship will sail really fast.

I ended up doing 25 cards in just black paint because I couldn't meet the deadline any other way. It really bothers me that I had to concede a bit on these, but in no way did I half-ass them. I just couldn't spend hours on each. It was really tough for me to have to do that, but I didn't have any other options. Hopefully the additional effort I was able to put into my full color sketches is enough to show that I care.

And that's the one thing that I think Heritage had going against it - I honestly believe that not many of the artists were familiar enough with the source material, so you had most of Topps' usual stable of artists just copying the original card set or just drawing Martian heads, instead of making it their own. I think the new faces brought onto Invasion breathed a huge amount of fresh air into it. They may not all be in color, but damn, there is some really fantastic art in this set!
Old 10-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #1049 (permalink)

Great points, Ted--and I love the video

Finally saw three of Robert Jimenez's sketches pop up in the wee hours this morning--I left one for everyone else

I've been very happy with the pickups I've been able to get so far. I decided to take the money I was saving up for a second case to pick up sketches I like.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #1050 (permalink)

I donít love the sketches this time, in part because I have so many nice Heritage sketches that Iím kind of bored of the images. Sure Iíll pick up a few nice ones here and there, but for me, Iím having a blast with everything else in the series and could really care less.
PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote