Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #1076 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRCrosby View Post
And then I would turn that frown upside down and use my new handy nubs as pencil smudging stumps to creat hundreds of sketch cards in 2 weeks.

THANKS JUSTICE41!!!!
Snicker. You'll get no hugs from me. Ever.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #1077 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitViper View Post
Well, I guess 2 Pepe's are better than one

I love the color on these!
Darrin is actually a family friend who grew up in the same town as me in central NJ. We went to the same high school, many years apart, but had the same art teacher, and would always reminisce about how great his class was. Sadly, he passed away in 2005. What a great man...

But i'm so happy Darrin came on-board, he's a fantastic artist.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #1078 (permalink)
Tim

I don't think there is an angry mob waiting for any of the artists who post here. I think some artists are overly sensitive though and overprotective of other artists. You will see that I bash gelavi here all the time for poor business tactics; it's not like he is in my "dealer's club" and I will defend him against criticism. Other than Durden and Sawyer, who completely and utterly mailed it in and should be roundly criticized by EVERYone, I am not here to bash the art - and most of what i read from the others were constructive, positive comments.

Why can't we take the emotion out of all this and just have an open dialogue? I have posted many times in the past and on other forums that the artists need to be paid more. I am on your guys' side! Topps should not have accepted any of Durden's or Sawyer's crap, but they have their side of things too, and I respect that. I think the only points others have made are that -- going forward -- maybe Topps doesn't allow Sawyer and Durden to come back. I mean, doesn't everyone want to see improvements with each new release? Doesn't that make everyone happy? (well, everyone except durden and sawyer, lol.)
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #1079 (permalink)
Tim

by the way, my recent cases were better! will be posting nice sketches to ebay tonight or tomorrow night. got a ted, three chalkers (awesome sketches!), proctor, other goodies...
Old 10-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #1080 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
This probably deserves its own thread, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I think like many other environments the women who make it in the sketch card game are really, really good because they have to be to get a seat at the table.

If you cut down the male artists by 90%, you'd probably be really, really impressed with who was left as well.

I would love to see more female artists included just to have some different styles and point of views available. Given that there's no excuse based on who is coming from the comic world to draw these sketches since most of the artists are not from the industry, I don't see why there shouldn't be more women included.

On the other hand, I heard from another member that the original plan to only have female artists work on Cryptozoic's Women of Legend had to be scrapped due to not being able to get enough artists. If that's the case, then maybe there's a more fundamental issue that needs to be addressed either in how artists are being invited or how talent is being discovered.
+1 And I think this would make a truly interesting topic. Here's me trying to make the thread hijack brief. Even though I wrote a lot, I have so much I could say!

I don't think it's a work ethic thing, I think it's the journey and just how we feel about being here. Growing up, whether I was drawing unicorns and dragons (fighting), epic sword and sorcery battles or superheroes, it went like so -

"You draw really good! You should draw..."
1) for Disney.
2) children's books.
3) stickers like Lisa Frank.
4) greeting cards.
5) my friend's baby.
6) in your spare time because you won't get anywhere with art.
...I'm drawing superheroes and their immediate jump is that I dig Disney Princesses?

Even if we fell sideways into sketch cards, it was after working our way into some other niche where people didn't think we belonged. Not that they were all unwelcoming, but it just didn't even occur to them to send us an invite to those parties because, wait, girls like that too?
Also, I think that the creative world would benefit if guys had the same hurdles that forced them to better their work outside their comfort zones. The Chain Male subset of Dungeon Dolls made it painfully obvious to me that guys have no idea how to draw aesthetically pleasing men... something that women have to do (with female characters) as a matter of course. It's taken for granted, but imo the additional range is impressive.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #1081 (permalink)

Count me as another who has a full-time job and just does this on the side because I want to. In fact, if not for the four Topps sketch card gigs I've done during the past 18 months, I may very well have not drawn at all.

And while it was a lot of work, it was fun, and a challenge. I thrive on deadlines -- a holdover from my newspaper editor days. An aside: Transparent to the card recipient is the amount of advance research I did for each sketch gig. I'd estimate from four to seven days -- depending on the series. The two Star Wars Galactic Files gigs took the longest because I had to watch all of the films again and do some screen captures.

Last edited by rmaheras; 10-29-2013 at 01:07 PM.
rmaheras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #1082 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
maybe Topps doesn't allow Sawyer and Durden to come back. I mean, doesn't everyone want to see improvements with each new release? Doesn't that make everyone happy? (well, everyone except durden and sawyer, lol.)
You laugh, but that's a part of the equation as well: we do not comment publicly on who we will or will not allow back because it's just unprofessional to be calling out artists in that manner. We will not put down artists whose work is not satisfactory-- if their work truly is unsatisfactory, than the art will speak for itself.

That said, we have made decisions on a number of artists whose work is no longer passing muster and likely won't be asked to participate in future sets.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #1083 (permalink)

Getting blanks out to us quicker would work too Alvin.As I stated about Galactic Files 2. from the time I was accepted onto the set till I got the blanks was almost 24 days. That's a whole month of not drawing on the cards .... wasted. Plus I don't know if you guys do an email blast invitation or not but you should. Waiting till the last minute just make things harder. Rittenhouse, Breygent even Cryptozoic, they ask, you accept, 3 days later there are the blanks. More time to do better work and not stress.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #1084 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
Getting blanks out to us quicker would work too Alvin.As I stated about Galactic Files 2. from the time I was accepted onto the set till I got the blanks was almost 24 days. That's a whole month of not drawing on the cards .... wasted. Plus I don't know if you guys do an email blast invitation or not but you should. Waiting till the last minute just make things harder. Rittenhouse, Breygent even Cryptozoic, they ask, you accept, 3 days later there are the blanks. More time to do better work and not stress.
Preaching to the choir, man...
Old 10-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #1085 (permalink)

And Breygent sends everything regular mail not Fedex.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #1086 (permalink)

Alvin, Please have Ted not put so much creativity into his sketches, he makes others look bad. Thanks!
MarsAttacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #1087 (permalink)

It's interesting to note that of all the sketches of MINE I see online, all but the 4-card puzzle were from the batch I did at the very end, all quick b&w or rough colors.

I'm just as happy with them as the early ones, but my earlier ones I spent more time on and it's just interesting to see that they're being pulled in some kind of loose reverse-order.

I also know that the cases ordered by Diamond have yet to arrive at comic shops.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #1088 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
You laugh, but that's a part of the equation as well: we do not comment publicly on who we will or will not allow back because it's just unprofessional to be calling out artists in that manner. We will not put down artists whose work is not satisfactory-- if their work truly is unsatisfactory, than the art will speak for itself.

That said, we have made decisions on a number of artists whose work is no longer passing muster and likely won't be asked to participate in future sets.
I don't expect you (topps) to call them out publicly. Of course that would be unprofessional.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #1089 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I don't expect you (topps) to call them out publicly. Of course that would be unprofessional.
You'd be surprised how many people just expect me to shout "don't worry folks we're never hiring XXXX again! his stuff is terrible!"
Old 10-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #1090 (permalink)

gone........ yoinks

Last edited by justice41; 12-05-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #1091 (permalink)

Quote:
Nice, I saw those as they were going up.

I was too tired to resist picking up a sketch myself last night (err, this AM)

Congrats. I saw that go up last night and sell almost immediately. Then, thx to you, he raised his BIN price for that artist.
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #1092 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
The birth of first Artist and first critic by means of natural selection - YouTube

You can either choose to ignore the negative comments, or take them to better your work. If you just give up, then your heart's not really in it.

If you choose to slack off and just draw monkeys or whips because others are, then you should probably find another source of income because that ship will sail really fast.

I ended up doing 25 cards in just black paint because I couldn't meet the deadline any other way. It really bothers me that I had to concede a bit on these, but in no way did I half-ass them. I just couldn't spend hours on each. It was really tough for me to have to do that, but I didn't have any other options. Hopefully the additional effort I was able to put into my full color sketches is enough to show that I care.

And that's the one thing that I think Heritage had going against it - I honestly believe that not many of the artists were familiar enough with the source material, so you had most of Topps' usual stable of artists just copying the original card set or just drawing Martian heads, instead of making it their own. I think the new faces brought onto Invasion breathed a huge amount of fresh air into it. They may not all be in color, but damn, there is some really fantastic art in this set!
I can't speak for all collectors, but I for one have no problem pulling / paying for a really nice black and white sketch with no colour - especially given the time frames all you artists have to complete these and what pay you receive for these.

Quote:
I find it funny how the guys that are debating this pump out some of the best work regardless of external stresses/other lively responsibilities.
^^This!
ekalbnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #1093 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekalbnz View Post
I can't speak for all collectors, but I for one have no problem pulling / paying for a really nice black and white sketch with no colour - especially given the time frames all you artists have to complete these and what pay you receive for these.
I agree--I've picked up several B&W sketches from this product.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #1094 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
Congrats. I saw that go up last night and sell almost immediately. Then, thx to you, he raised his BIN price for that artist.
He lowered them again this AM (and I snagged the second one )

Oh, and they are APs.
PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #1095 (permalink)

Very nice on both counts.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #1096 (permalink)

Nice one, Ted

2013 Mars Attacks Invasion Sketch Card Ted Dastick Jr Color by Numbers | eBay
Old 10-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #1097 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchopolix View Post
I don't want less sketches replaced by other hits - that just makes those other hits less rare and therefore less valuable.
This is an interesting perspective, considering the debate that followed your erasing a pencil sketch and selling the card that way because it increased its value.

This is coming from one of the few that don't have a problem with your actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Then the sets come out, and the voices we hear above most is BITCH BITCH BITCH BITCH BITCH BITCH because you're not making bank on your gamble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams View Post
2013, most everyone want's a Nar!, Hall, TED, etc. that they can flip quick. The guys griping about the quality for the most part aren't even collectors.
It seems like my comments on this thread are treating like bitching when in fact they are guidance for what Topps would have to deliver in order to get me to spend a substantial amount of my fun money on their product. Its fine that Topps isn't interested in my money. I have a lot of options.

No offense to savvy dealers, but I'm not making a profit on anything! Fact of the matter is that my fun money is precious and needs to be spent wisely. For $120 I could buy 2 boxes of MA:I or 6 PSCs or 4 5finity/Perna/Asylum/Viceroy/etc packs or 1-2 APs... I want to get my money's worth when I spend it. Sometimes that means buying sealed boxes. Other times it means supporting the dealers. I wish it was always buying sealed boxes, since that is way more fun than buying singles. Oh well...
Old 10-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #1098 (permalink)

Quote:
That is a very cool idea!
ekalbnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #1099 (permalink)

Quote:

I was gonna comment on it too

Damn, there's a lot of top notch sketch cards listed now, including some of the Ted cases.

Last edited by ChrisM; 10-29-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #1100 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
I was gonna comment on it too

Damn, there's a lot of top notch sketch cards listed now, including some of the Ted cases.
Yeah, Stormshadow suddenly is listing with higher-end pricing

I picked up Ted's A&G card that was just listed--I had been wanting to get one of those