Blowout Cards Forums
4/4/14 Coupon

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #1326 (permalink)

Topps is probably sick of my suggestions, but this situation with the puzzle that can never be completed is exactly why these puzzles shouldn't be broken up and it's more than just a matter of preference for those of us trying to complete puzzles we pull parts of or unknowingly purchase.

So, whatever needs to happen--extra sketches, strict limits on number of puzzles from the artists, strict guidelines that each puzzle piece can stand alone--needs to happen next time IMO.

[Inactive]
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #1327 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Please don't tell me it's this one

2013 Mars Attacks Invasion Sketch Card Artist Robert Jimenez RARE Alien | eBay

If it is, it does work just fine on its own.
What is your count of unintentional incomplete puzzle piece purchases up to now?
Old 11-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #1328 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
What is your count of unintentional incomplete puzzle piece purchases up to now?
LOL--3 confirmed (1 that has a missing piece incoming) and a couple that I have some suspicions about. There's one more that I'm winning at the moment that I hope someone will take me off the hook for before it closes

EDIT: To add to my post above, this does make me a little leary to buy any sketches that look like they may be in a puzzle even if they aren't. I imagine I'm not the only buyer like that.

[Inactive]
Old 11-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #1329 (permalink)

So Far so Good on my Puzzles. All have been complete so far.Only one more 4-card then 2 2-cards left
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #1330 (permalink)

Another point about breaking puzzles apart, even if they're in the same case, there are collectors (like me) who don't/can't afford to buy by the case. So without being redundant, only puzzles pieces that could stand on their own should've been split
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #1331 (permalink)

Quote:
He can have a Mars Attacks "Venus de Milo" gallery.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #1332 (permalink)

Pulled one of JRCrosby's sketches!

Anyone want to take a stab at approx. value?

Thanks!
[IMG][/IMG]
Super32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #1333 (permalink)

Nice!!! Maybe my fave of his puzzles. Value -
> If you're a dealer/going to sell it: $100
> If you're a collector: Priceless

Last edited by ChrisM; 11-03-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #1334 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
So Far so Good on my Puzzles. All have been complete so far.Only one more 4-card then 2 2-cards left
Did you send your stuff in early? Sounds like puzzles sent in later (after they had their 50?) were broken up. I'm guessing if artists were running short on time that may have inspired them to do an extra puzzle or two.

I received my set in the mail. I haven't had the time to enjoy it yet, but I agree with everyone's comments about the premium quality of the cards. I also picked up my first singles yesterday, after missing a few I really liked during the week. Nothing to write home about. Hopefully when I arrive home on Friday ill have a stack of mail including some sketch cards and a box of binder pages
Old 11-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #1335 (permalink)

So far, one of my four puzzles showed up on eBay, and it was complete.
rmaheras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #1336 (permalink)

Nope my cards were just on time. I think I may have sent them all still taped up. Like I said they stand pretty much as single cards.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #1337 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
This is my only complaint with the set too. The puzzles were advertised upthread as loaded packs (2 card and 4 card) which seemed cool for those collectors that like puzzles. However, they neglected to mention that a number of us would be hit with boxes where we would be stuck with an incomplete puzzle piece. Sadly, it looks like a number of us got hit by this. I only opened 3 boxes, and 1/3 were packed with a partial puzzle.

I chucked it, but it would be nice otlf companies would either do away with puzzles altogether, or insure they are packed together. The cost of boxes is too expensive to be stuck with a "half" or "quarter" hit.

But its a great set outside of this issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
No, it isn't that one or the hand in the 4 card puzzle mentioned above. I wasn't trying to be controversial... I am just a collector who keeps the cards he likes. I honestly don't have the time to list a <$10 cards on eBay. So I simply cracked my boxes and cut my losses.

I honestly think puzzles should always be kept together in the first place. At any rate, I am not going to talk about puzzles anymore. This was a great set... I will just focus on the good stuff.

Now where are all the Brereton cards?
Why chuck it? Even if you do not want to deal with ebay, why not stick a picture up in a B/S/T Thread and I'm sure someone would be happy to take it off your hands for a few $$.

Also looking for Harley Quinn, Iceman, Deadpool and Daredevil sketches
ekalbnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #1338 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekalbnz View Post
Why chuck it? Even if you do not want to deal with ebay, why not stick a picture up in a B/S/T Thread and I'm sure someone would be happy to take it off your hands for a few $$.
To me, this was very poor etiquette from somebody who posts on the board. We all know how challenging it can be to complete a puzzle. To just discard a piece without have the courtesy to post it and ask anybody if they would like it is very upsetting. This thread has 54 pages. I'm certain somebody would have gladly worked out a deal worth the small amount of trouble it would have been to post a picture.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #1339 (permalink)

eBay refreshes are lagging, it seems.

Last edited by ChrisM; 11-03-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #1340 (permalink)

Question came of earlier about where are the Brereton cards. Anyone have a rough idea how many have popped up. I pulled mine from the case I purchased.
Attached Thumbnails
2013 Topps Mars Attacks Invasion trading cards-ccf11032013_00000.jpg  
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #1341 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
Question came of earlier about where are the Brereton cards. Anyone have a rough idea how many have popped up. I pulled mine from the case I purchased.
Nice! That is only the 5th I have seen... it is a great one! I will post one of mine that came in this weekend in a bit.
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #1342 (permalink)

Here is mine... I have one more on the way. He is a GREAT artist... thank you for posting and let me know if you want to deal.
Attached Thumbnails
2013 Topps Mars Attacks Invasion trading cards-brereton2013.jpg  
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #1343 (permalink)

Wow! Your Brereton is NICE! Need some puzzle pieces for a Finneral (4 card), have one of the pieces. I like trading... Thanks for showing your Brereton!
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #1344 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super32 View Post
Pulled one of JRCrosby's sketches!

Anyone want to take a stab at approx. value?

Thanks!
[IMG][/IMG]
That's great. I wouldn't sell/trade for under $200.
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #1345 (permalink)

Quote:
To me, this was very poor etiquette from somebody who posts on the board. We all know how challenging it can be to complete a puzzle. To just discard a piece without have the courtesy to post it and ask anybody if they would like it is very upsetting. This thread has 54 pages. I'm certain somebody would have gladly worked out a deal worth the small amount of trouble it would have been to post a picture.
I agree. Makes no sense to me.

Also looking for Harley Quinn, Iceman, Deadpool and Daredevil sketches
ekalbnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #1346 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo View Post
That's great. I wouldn't sell/trade for under $200.
Jason's stuff hasn't sold for as much as I thought it would. I don't think that's any reflection on the quality of the work, which I am a big fan of (I picked up 4 of his sketches in addition to the one I pulled).

It seems like he's had a few 4-card puzzles broken up, so this may be one of the few that is intact and it's in color.

So, this is a long-winded way of saying I'd think $175-200 is probably a fair value right now. I think if you hang onto it as more people get familiar with his work or people see how tough a full 4-card puzzle might be, you might get more for it. Part of that will just depend on how long MAI can maintain the prices on the sketches which have been pretty strong on average, IMO.

Tim, Jeff, or others who have been selling a lot of this might have some more informed insight on it as well.

[Inactive]
Old 11-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #1347 (permalink)

I think I may have an an unintentional puzzle piece on the way... But in this instance, I don't really care

I agree - It does bug the heck out of me. I try to avoid them altogether, and always sell the ones that I pull.

Jason Atomic did something cool with his 6 or so 2-card puzzles in Heritage - he kept one of each of the cards as his returns, and put them up for sale so that they would be obtainable.
PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #1348 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitViper View Post
I think I may have an an unintentional puzzle piece on the way... But in this instance, I don't really care

I agree - It does bug the heck out of me. I try to avoid them altogether, and always sell the ones that I pull.

Jason Atomic did something cool with his 6 or so 2-card puzzles in Heritage - he kept one of each of the cards as his returns, and put them up for sale so that they would be obtainable.
Yeah I bought the bottom card from him and put together a puzzle:

MarsAttacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #1349 (permalink)

Here's a thought..... If you have a puzzle piece that just doesn't stand on its own, you could list it on Ebay with a way high BIN (so it doesn't sell) and with a make offer. In the description you can say something like if you have a matching piece make me a fair offer or contact me if you want to sell etc.
MarsAttacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #1350 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsAttacks View Post
Here's a thought..... If you have a puzzle piece that just doesn't stand on its own, you could list it on Ebay with a way high BIN (so it doesn't sell) and with a make offer. In the description you can say something like if you have a matching piece make me a fair offer or contact me if you want to sell etc.
+1 I love that idea