Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #1451 (permalink)
Member
 
ChrisM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 316
Default

So that one, and the other one he posted are both AP's? Nice.

Hope he joins.
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #1452 (permalink)
Member
 
PitViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
So that one, and the other one he posted are both AP's? Nice.

Hope he joins.
Yeah, either that or he pulled a bunch of his own cards
PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #1453 (permalink)
Member
 
ekalbnz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Zealand (but have a USA shipping address)
Posts: 1,794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitViper View Post
Cool sketch by Darrin Pepe:

That is awesome!
__________________
Collecting RAIDER Autos

Also looking for Harley Quinn, Iceman, Deadpool and Daredevil sketches
ekalbnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #1454 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 416
Default Darrin Pepe Return Card

Speaking of Darrin Pepe... this just came in the mail today! It was fun to see he is using the same image on his business card... great stuff!
Attached Thumbnails
2013 Topps Mars Attacks Invasion trading cards-marsattacksreturn.jpg  
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #1455 (permalink)
Member
 
monkeymcgee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 7,184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
Speaking of Darrin Pepe... this just came in the mail today! It was fun to see he is using the same image on his business card... great stuff!
Nice--I was battling you for that one. If you want to complete the business card, the one on the other side was relisted (but you probably already know that )
__________________
Collecting: money in the bank
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:31 AM   #1456 (permalink)
Member
 
monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 248
Thumbs up

...the comic cover concept is a cool theme...

Last edited by monster; 11-08-2013 at 12:39 AM.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:02 AM   #1457 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Greenville, Ca
Posts: 104
Default

Couldn't let this one getaway.. Had to snag it! By Jason Atomic.
Attached Thumbnails
2013 Topps Mars Attacks Invasion trading cards-_1gg.jpg  

Last edited by Arch; 11-08-2013 at 04:30 AM.
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #1458 (permalink)
Member
 
ChrisM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 316
Default

Alvin (or anyone who may know) - are there any printing plates (in the set) for the concept parallels? Also are there any for the extra gore (if so I'd assume just one plate per image, for the red)?
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #1459 (permalink)
Member
 
PitViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
Default

Man, these things are impossible to photograph – I tried to capture some of the paint effects with different lighting…but be warned = if the black light is too intense Monster Mark will pop out of the card and eat your family…















They look like refractors under a black light. amazing!!!

Last edited by PitViper; 11-08-2013 at 08:49 PM.
PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #1460 (permalink)
Member
 
monkeymcgee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 7,184
Default

Good job getting those pictures--turned out a lot better than what I was attempting
__________________
Collecting: money in the bank
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #1461 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Greenville, Ca
Posts: 104
Default

I wonder if my "spacerat" sketch by Finneral would light up like these under a blacklight! Pretty nice!
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #1462 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 489
Default

So what's the verdict on this set, folks?

What did you think of the base set and new story? What did you like? What did you not like? Aside from the stuff i'm already aware of (splitting up puzzles, some lesser quality sketches, some production errors)-- what could we have done differently or better?
Was it a good value? Were you satisfied as a fan?

And now the most important question...

Would you like to see another set, continuing the story?
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #1463 (permalink)
Member
 
ChrisM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
So what's the verdict on this set, folks?

What did you think of the base set and new story? What did you like? What did you not like? Aside from the stuff i'm already aware of (splitting up puzzles, some lesser quality sketches, some production errors)-- what could we have done differently or better?
Was it a good value? Were you satisfied as a fan?

And now the most important question...

Would you like to see another set, continuing the story?

Sketch quality was MUCH better than the last set but there's still a little room for improvement. That said, there are many GREAT artists in this set.

Concept subset should've been easier to assemble. It should've been 1:12 and gold stamp could've been 1:48.

I'd be in for a new series.
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #1464 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
So what's the verdict on this set, folks?

What did you think of the base set and new story? What did you like? What did you not like? Aside from the stuff i'm already aware of (splitting up puzzles, some lesser quality sketches, some production errors)-- what could we have done differently or better?
Was it a good value? Were you satisfied as a fan?

And now the most important question...

Would you like to see another set, continuing the story?
I would be in for another set! In addition to the improvements you mention, I think a cool change for the creator sketch card variants would be to have unique card backs (with creator name and brief bio) for each creator selected for this honor. A lot of us collect specific artists (*cough* Brereton *cough**cough*), and I think sketch cards dedicated to these specific artists who have done great MA work in the past would be well received by a lot of MA fans.

And the concept subset was also awesome and should make a return!
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #1465 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Greenville, Ca
Posts: 104
Default

Another set would be great as long as the Martians get their butt kicked. And no more dogs get killed:
Attached Thumbnails
2013 Topps Mars Attacks Invasion trading cards-mai-buythiscardset_zps9e4fd3ab.jpg  
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #1466 (permalink)
Member
 
mcguirem13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
So what's the verdict on this set, folks?

What did you think of the base set and new story? What did you like? What did you not like? Aside from the stuff i'm already aware of (splitting up puzzles, some lesser quality sketches, some production errors)-- what could we have done differently or better?
Was it a good value? Were you satisfied as a fan?

And now the most important question...

Would you like to see another set, continuing the story?
I definitely would like to see another set continuing the story. I think next time it would be cool if you included redemptions for some of the original artwork used in the set.
__________________
Bucket:
http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc128/mcguirem13/
mcguirem13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #1467 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirem13 View Post
I definitely would like to see another set continuing the story. I think next time it would be cool if you included redemptions for some of the original artwork used in the set.
That would be INSANELY costly-- most artists charge hundreds if not thousands of dollars per painting. Unless we thought it would be a huge benefit to sales, my guess is that idea is just too much.

We thought about it for this set, since The Topps Vault did acquire all 6 of Earl Norem's paintings (which will go on sale next month) but in the end, we just weren't sure that using them as prizes would mean any upswing in sales, meaning it would just be a big added cost with no big return.

But a good thought.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #1468 (permalink)
Member
 
dd316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
That would be INSANELY costly-- most artists charge hundreds if not thousands of dollars per painting. Unless we thought it would be a huge benefit to sales, my guess is that idea is just too much.

We thought about it for this set, since The Topps Vault did acquire all 6 of Earl Norem's paintings (which will go on sale next month) but in the end, we just weren't sure that using them as prizes would mean any upswing in sales, meaning it would just be a big added cost with no big return.

But a good thought.
Would that be any different than the similar "big prizes" like Harrison Ford autos? I'm sure those don't come cheap.
__________________
MY ARTWORK - tdastick.deviantart.com
dd316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:26 AM   #1469 (permalink)
Member
 
Ty Hope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,828
Default

-A checklist for EVERYTHING is needed. Subsets can get confusing.
-The "graffiti" parallel was lame, IMO. Something better can be done than that.
- Concept cards are awesome, so something like 1 in 6 packs would rock.
Ty Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:28 AM   #1470 (permalink)
Member
 
Ty Hope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,828
Default

Also, I like the gold parallels, but they should stand out a bit more IMO. Make them special! Just having the logo gold does very little for me as a collector.
Ty Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:31 AM   #1471 (permalink)
Member
 
ekalbnz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Zealand (but have a USA shipping address)
Posts: 1,794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Hope View Post
-A checklist for EVERYTHING is needed. Subsets can get confusing.
-The "graffiti" parallel was lame, IMO. Something better can be done than that.
- Concept cards are awesome, so something like 1 in 6 packs would rock.
^^All of these, but especially the checklist one! It can't be that hard to get a decent checklist together can it not?

I am also not a fan of the Gold parallels. They have no appeal to me what-so-ever.
__________________
Collecting RAIDER Autos

Also looking for Harley Quinn, Iceman, Deadpool and Daredevil sketches
ekalbnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:36 AM   #1472 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 472
Default

Concept parallels are indeed superb. Wish Star Wars sets would go this way rather that just different colours.
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:51 AM   #1473 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Would that be any different than the similar "big prizes" like Harrison Ford autos? I'm sure those don't come cheap.
Put a little more thought into it...

...Paying thousands for a hundred autos makes more sense because having a a hundred autos probably will increase orders. Paying thousands for ONE redemption probably won't have ANY effect, because the odds of pulling that card are miniscule, even if the print run is low like it was on MA.

But Ford did not even come at the high price you're probably imagining. We don't comment on that sort of thing, but with guys like him, it's more his timing and interest that plays a role.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #1474 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 165
Default

I'd love to do some sketches for a second series!

Dancing turkey added for attention :turkey:
scotthouseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #1475 (permalink)
Member
 
dd316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
Put a little more thought into it...

...Paying thousands for a hundred autos makes more sense because having a a hundred autos probably will increase orders. Paying thousands for ONE redemption probably won't have ANY effect, because the odds of pulling that card are miniscule, even if the print run is low like it was on MA.

But Ford did not even come at the high price you're probably imagining. We don't comment on that sort of thing, but with guys like him, it's more his timing and interest that plays a role.
Gotcha. But having that one big carrot that everybody wants would surely generate interest and sales? Sports sets do it all the time.
__________________
MY ARTWORK - tdastick.deviantart.com
dd316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.