Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #126 (permalink)

Yeah, I'm not huge into collecting manufactured patch cards either but if they do them right and make some of them very short-printed they could be a nice addition to a box break.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #127 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsAttacks View Post
Those have no appeal to me. I collect cards and art. The art looks great, but the trinkets seem just that.
*personally* I can't say I disagree with you. I am a fan of Mars Attacks and am most excited about the new base set, new art, new story and of course the sketch cards.

That said, in today's day and age, hits are required, so there's some autos, patches and medallions. We've tried to make the hits as cool as possible and not just throw some generic stuff like multi-colored parallels or foil this and that, and I think mining the original series for the medallions, particularly, turned out really well.

But even if the hits aren't your thing, I think you'll have a blast putting together the base and chase sets. "Anatomy of a Martian" is going to be a really neat little rare subset that we'll debut at the end of the week.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #128 (permalink)

You know what would be the coolest relic ever, and a gimmick I totally would appreciate is some kind of relic card with a burned piece of the crashed Roswell space craft. Yes, it would be total fantasy and I am sure Topps would need to disclose on the card that it is not real, but I think that would be really cool if there was a total realistic story behind the "relics"!
MarsAttacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #129 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsAttacks View Post
You know what would be the coolest relic ever, and a gimmick I totally would appreciate is some kind of relic card with a burned piece of the crashed Roswell space craft. Yes, it would be total fantasy and I am sure Topps would need to disclose on the card that it is not real, but I think that would be really cool if there was a total realistic story behind the "relics"!
We talked a lot about doing stuff like that, but felt that fans might feel like we were really reaching, and find the connection to the property tenuous at best. Still, it's a fun idea, and something we might revisit down the line.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #130 (permalink)
Tim

the key to the medallions/relics/patches/hits is to have short prints like galactic files had with the patches. if they are all printed in the same quantities, they will be a failure. if not, i expect good things.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #131 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
the key to the medallions/relics/patches/hits is to have short prints like galactic files had with the patches. if they are all printed in the same quantities, they will be a failure. if not, i expect good things.
Good point, and i'm glad you brought that up.

I believe this plan is to stagger the print runs so there are commons, rares, etc. on both the patches and the medallions. There may also be variants.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #132 (permalink)

Next Series: MARS ATTACKED
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #133 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
Next Series: MARS ATTACKED
No way!!! You can't change the title!!!

We already know what the title will be if there's a sequel.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #134 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
I know you and I talked about box toppers a while ago. I can only hope it's an option at this stage, I'd love some oversized stuff.
i like Teds box topper idea. you can pack them like the allen & ginter.
and with the original old cards. put them in plastic like the t206 cards and pack them out.as alternate box toppers.
justinj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #135 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
No way!!! You can't change the title!!!

We already know what the title will be if there's a sequel.
Not as in Mars Attacked us, as in Mars gets attacked by Earth.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #136 (permalink)

Quote:
Not as in Mars Attacked us, as in Mars gets attacked by Earth.
But then wouldn't it be:

MARS, ATTACKED!

Either way, we can't do a second series unless this one does well. We're in our order period, so it's that crucial time where we've got to raise awareness to retail shops and comic stores.

I hope when the orders are in we've done well enough for more: i've got so many ideas for the story, the art, the chase cards and hits for a next set!!
Old 07-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #137 (permalink)

Quote:
But then wouldn't it be:

MARS, ATTACKED!

Either way, we can't do a second series unless this one does well. We're in our order period, so it's that crucial time where we've got to raise awareness to retail shops and comic stores.

I hope when the orders are in we've done well enough for more: i've got so many ideas for the story, the art, the chase cards and hits for a next set!!
Maybe the Martians settle Earth and a group of humans escape to take over Mars. Then the humans attack the Martians on Earth. Mars Attacks!

You're welcome
Old 07-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #138 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Maybe the Martians settle Earth and a group of humans escape to take over Mars. Then the humans attack the Martians on Earth. Mars Attacks!

You're welcome
And the human rebels are led by a very angry looking monkey wearing a top hat! I'd buy that product.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:15 AM   #139 (permalink)

Quote:
There's also two different types of sketch cards, and I believe they each have different designs. I haven't seen the other one yet.
Hi!
PLEASE think about this suggestion. On the sketch cards of the upcoming Invasion set can you guys make it mandatory that the sketch artists print their name above their signature?Do you realize how frustrating it is to pull a sketch card out of the pack and not being unable to tell who the artist is due to their scribble signature?...It is really frustrating to say the least. I am tired of searching forums and the internet to try and place the artists. Impossible for some!...especially for the newcomers in the sketch card collecting field!
patzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #140 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patzee View Post
Hi!
PLEASE think about this suggestion. On the sketch cards of the upcoming Invasion set can you guys make it mandatory that the sketch artists print their name above their signature?Do you realize how frustrating it is to pull a sketch card out of the pack and not being unable to tell who the artist is due to their scribble signature?...It is really frustrating to say the least. I am tired of searching forums and the internet to try and place the artists. Impossible for some!...especially for the newcomers in the sketch card collecting field!
The reality here is there is no way to enforce that. What happens when sketches comes in and they just forgot? We don't have time to send it back or do it ourselves, and we can't not put them in for such a small offense-- especially if they're good!

I understand your frustration, but its just one of the things that has to be dealt with at times. Try thinking of it as a treasure hunt
Old 07-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #141 (permalink)

Quote:
The reality here is there is no way to enforce that. What happens when sketches comes in and they just forgot? We don't have time to send it back or do it ourselves, and we can't not put them in for such a small offense-- especially if they're good!

I understand your frustration, but its just one of the things that has to be dealt with at times. Try thinking of it as a treasure hunt
You could always suggest it to the artists. I would love to just scribble my signature across the back, but I want people to know who drew the card!

Published artist lists help, as there's usually at least one recognizable letter to go on.

While you're on here... who did the art for the Propaganda subset?
Old 07-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #142 (permalink)

Steven Thomas.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #143 (permalink)

Quote:
Steven Thomas.
Nice. Here's a link to his stuff, if anyone wants to check it out. Steve Thomas Art & Illustration: Propaganda Style
Old 07-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #144 (permalink)

Quote:
You could always suggest it to the artists. I would love to just scribble my signature across the back, but I want people to know who drew the card!

Published artist lists help, as there's usually at least one recognizable letter to go on.
It seems like packed-out sketch cards would be one of an artist's best advertising opportunities. If the person who pulled the sketch can't figure out who did the work easily or without having to go Encyclopedia Brown on it to decipher the signature, artists are potentially missing out on future customers.

The unsigned sketches baffle me the most--I know sometimes an artist may miss some when signing, but there seem to be some artists who just don't sign their work.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #145 (permalink)

Quote:
Nice. Here's a link to his stuff, if anyone wants to check it out. Steve Thomas Art & Illustration: Propaganda Style
Nice, it looks like Steve has been studing up on his art deco posters.
edclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #146 (permalink)

Quote:

Why not? Is it that widespread of a problem, or is it just a couple of artists? If its that widespread, then perhaps some friendly reminders are in order. If its just a couple of artists, then printing out some clear stickers with the artist's name typed on them shouldn't be that big of a deal.

In fact, I for one wish the cards sent to the artists would have their names stickered or stamped on the back. Mystery artists would be eliminated. When blanks show up you have some idea of where they came from. I understand that it is thousands of cards, but that kind of mindless work is what temps and interns exist for.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #147 (permalink)

Quote:
Steven Thomas.

Awesome. Like this subset idea.

Regarding the sketch artist comments, what if there was a sort of checklist card included in the set, simply listing the participating artists (of course you'd need to incorporate the two tiers of artists)?
Old 07-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #148 (permalink)

Quote:
Awesome. Like this subset idea.

Regarding the sketch artist comments, what if there was a sort of checklist card included in the set, simply listing the participating artists (of course you'd need to incorporate the two tiers of artists)?
The timing for printing doesn't allow us to include any kind of checklist, but we can publish one online like we did last year for sure.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #149 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Why not? Is it that widespread of a problem, or is it just a couple of artists? If its that widespread, then perhaps some friendly reminders are in order. If its just a couple of artists, then printing out some clear stickers with the artist's name typed on them shouldn't be that big of a deal.

In fact, I for one wish the cards sent to the artists would have their names stickered or stamped on the back. Mystery artists would be eliminated. When blanks show up you have some idea of where they came from. I understand that it is thousands of cards, but that kind of mindless work is what temps and interns exist for.
Printing out stickers with the artists name is not as easy as it sounds. There is cost and time associated with such an endeavor, and we have to balance that against the importance of it.

Printing the cards with each artists name is insanely more complex-- we'd have to know how many each artist intended to do and create a unique card printing for each artist-- essentially doubling the number of unique subjects in the set.

To be clear, doing such work is not just "mindless work." There are many logistics to be worked out for every print run we do.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #150 (permalink)

Quote:
Printing out stickers with the artists name is not as easy as it sounds. There is cost and time associated with such an endeavor, and we have to balance that against the importance of it.

Printing the cards with each artists name is insanely more complex-- we'd have to know how many each artist intended to do and create a unique card printing for each artist-- essentially doubling the number of unique subjects in the set.

To be clear, doing such work is not just "mindless work." There are many logistics to be worked out for every print run we do.
Tell them if they want to get paid, please be sure to print your name on the back. How hard is that?
MarsAttacks is offline   Reply With Quote