Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/27/14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #1476 (permalink)

From a seller's perspective:

1) Don't make the concept cards or parallel cards easier to pull - that just lowers their value. Agree that the gold parallel cards aren't that interesting. Keep the concept set but drop the golds in favor of some other insert set. I think the graffitti cards were interesting - particularly since they glow in the dark. Keep that idea and their rarity. LOVED the gore idea - clever. Make the Heritage cards more rare.

2) DO create unique card backs for the sketch cards - see Marvel Retro for what, in my opinion, was the best innovation in sketch cards since they began. You could use the backs from the base sets and require the artists to draw something that refers to the base card (the scene itself, one of the characters, etc.). You can also have standard "generic" back card stock for artists to do "artist's choice" drawings.

3) Increase the size of the medallion and patch sets OR make them more rare. Getting way too many of the common ones compared to the rares. That means the value of the commons plummet and since no one knows how rare the rares really are, their price stagnates. As far as I can tell, the rares are INCREDIBLY rare and should be priced like the Han Solo Carbonite medallion in SWGF2.

4) PUBLISH A CHECKLIST and include the approximate rarity odds. This is what made Marvel Premier a spectacular set. People know how hard it is to pull the rare inserts, and price adjusts according. Knowledge is important for proper pricing. You did a limited set - give us the information that clues us in to exactly how limited it is. Upper Deck PUBLISHED 3 or 4 levels or rarity for each insert set. Tell us which of the autographs/medallions/patches are common (1:100 packs or whatever), limited (1:300 packs), and rare (1:1000 packs). This, more than anything else, will drive your sales I believe. Certainly it will drive retailer sales.

5) KEEP IT HOBBY ONLY.

I would buy into another set if it was similar to this and priced similarly. The two hits per box at this price point is great.
sketchopolix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #1477 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchopolix View Post
From a seller's perspective:

1) Don't make the concept cards or parallel cards easier to pull - that just lowers their value. Agree that the gold parallel cards aren't that interesting. Keep the concept set but drop the golds in favor of some other insert set. I think the graffitti cards were interesting - particularly since they glow in the dark. Keep that idea and their rarity. LOVED the gore idea - clever. Make the Heritage cards more rare.

2) DO create unique card backs for the sketch cards - see Marvel Retro for what, in my opinion, was the best innovation in sketch cards since they began. You could use the backs from the base sets and require the artists to draw something that refers to the base card (the scene itself, one of the characters, etc.). You can also have standard "generic" back card stock for artists to do "artist's choice" drawings.

3) Increase the size of the medallion and patch sets OR make them more rare. Getting way too many of the common ones compared to the rares. That means the value of the commons plummet and since no one knows how rare the rares really are, their price stagnates. As far as I can tell, the rares are INCREDIBLY rare and should be priced like the Han Solo Carbonite medallion in SWGF2.

4) PUBLISH A CHECKLIST and include the approximate rarity odds. This is what made Marvel Premier a spectacular set. People know how hard it is to pull the rare inserts, and price adjusts according. Knowledge is important for proper pricing. You did a limited set - give us the information that clues us in to exactly how limited it is. Upper Deck PUBLISHED 3 or 4 levels or rarity for each insert set. Tell us which of the autographs/medallions/patches are common (1:100 packs or whatever), limited (1:300 packs), and rare (1:1000 packs). This, more than anything else, will drive your sales I believe. Certainly it will drive retailer sales.

5) KEEP IT HOBBY ONLY.

I would buy into another set if it was similar to this and priced similarly. The two hits per box at this price point is great.
Nice analysis. Thanks.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #1478 (permalink)

I said what is quoted below a little while back and I still would say those cover my opinions on the product. I'd add that a checklist and some disclosure of SP levels (if any) exist would be helpful to the buyers and sellers.

I love the idea of redemptions for some of the original art, but I understand the economics might not work out.

I think the more structured sketch set like Jeff mentioned would be a cool change--it was a very neat aspect of Premier and Retro.

If in order to really increase the sketch quality you'd have to make them a 1:2 or 1:3 box ratio, I'd be okay with that. As long as there were other hits that could be pulled in the other boxes, I think people would accept that. I know UD has gone that route before and there wasn't a riot about it.

In any case, I would be very interested in another new products that would continue the story. I thought, despite my nitpicks mentioned, this was an awesome product!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
I think we've seen enough breaks and singles on eBay to make a few observations about this product. Here are my thoughts:

Pros:

1. Base cards are a real strength--art is excellent, stock is excellent, finish is excellent, and there are some fun SP variations to chase

2. Speaking of SP variations, the concept variation is an awesome idea that I hope we'll see in some other products as well. I liked the different ways the concepts were done in this more than the concept cards for GPK Chrome.

3. The medallions and patch inserts were much nicer than I expected

4. Overall quality of the sketch cards seems like a big improvement over Heritage, although I will say the upper end of the sketches we've seen so far seems about equal with the best of Heritage IMO.

5. I think the size of the base set is just about perfect. You don't get so many dupes and it makes the chase sets more challenging.

6. In terms of reviving the Mars Attacks franchise for future card sets, I think Topps did an outstanding job with this product

Cons:

1. I understand the reason why, let me make that clear , but I'm not a fan of having some of the puzzles not packed together--especially if the artists did not know that ahead of time. Pulling a sketch that makes no sense without the context of the puzzle is not going to be a good experience for that buyer. If the artists make the puzzle pieces so each piece can be a standalone card, this wouldn't be as big of a deal.

2. One breaker on here had essentially two sketches that were duplicates. That's just flat-out lazy on the part of the artist and something that would really piss me off if I got one.

3. The very low end of the sketches is still pretty bad. I think I speak for most of us here when I say that Alvin fought the good fight on this and there was a big improvement from Heritage overall, but some of those "bad" sketches really hurt the product IMO. When I think about buying more of this wax, I'll admit that those weigh a bit on my decision.

[Inactive]
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #1479 (permalink)

I thought it was a great set. I'd like to see the overall sketch quality improve, because sketches are the hits I collect. I have mixed opinions about specific card backs. It could be a great idea, if you pick the 'right' card backs. I don't have any idea what that would be, and it could make or break the sketch card aspect of the set.

Sounds like most people were very happy with the other hits. My only advice would be to keep it fresh with the next set - Don't do medallions and patches again. People will get bored of them. Swap them out for something different, unless you are going to add a complete new range of medallions and patches, and you think you can continue to do that for an annual set.

A redemption for original artwork does sound great, but I totally understand the price issue. It was the first thing I thought of, when I read the comment. However, that doesn't mean you can't get anything. Most of those guys do prelims/concept work before they get cracking on the final piece. Maybe you could get your hands on a couple of those, like one from each artist, at a decent price that doesn't kill your margins. Or, as an alternate redemption, maybe have a couple of the more popular artists (Proctor, Dastick, Finneral, Crosby, etc...) to do some puzzles or some larger pieces (like the NYCC covers, or 5x7 oversized cards) that could be used as redemptions. Those seem to be pretty popular for some other sets, and aren't going to hit your margins nearly as much as the original card art.

I think the price point was good, and the quality of cards were great. I pretty much expect a hit for about every $30 I spend on a box of cards, so two hits at the current price point is nice.

I think you went a little crazy with parallel sets. The heritage and concept parallel sets were a big hit, because they were 'different' unlike the gold which was just a different color foil stamp. I would definitely suggest continuing both the heritage and concept parallel sets, although adjusting the odds a little might be good. I'd make the concept parallel set a little less rare, and if you want to do a gold foil parallel set I'd make that more rare and make them numbered (i.e., XXX/100 or whatever). Personally, I think 2 or 3 parallel sets is plenty. Try not to go Topps crazy, and make 7 levels of parallels For the concept parallels, I think 1:12, 1:18 or 1:24 will be better for collectors, but still make it a very difficult set to put together. Then the numbered golds could be 1:36 or 1:48. I'd insert the heritage (sticking with the idea that the heritage is the 'base' parallel set) at a rate which you would complete the set in a case. I think that is the value a collector buying a case wants to see.

Based on what I saw, if you bought a case of this product you were pretty happy. It was dicey if you bought just a box or two.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #1480 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I'd make the concept parallel set a little less rare, and if you want to do a gold foil parallel set I'd make that more rare and make them numbered (i.e., XXX/100 or whatever).
Don't know how I forgot that - definitely serial number the Heritage parallel set to xx/whatever in gold foil on the back. Doing that would tie them nicely to the gold foil stamping you are putting on the buy backs.

So kill the gold parallel set and spend the foil stamping money on the Heritage set serial numbering. Stamping the front with the Mars Attacks logo would be a nice upgrade and would make a direct connection to the Buy Backs.
sketchopolix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #1481 (permalink)

ps: I prefer sweets...;^)
MMF
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #1482 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitViper View Post
Man, these things are impossible to photograph – I tried to capture some of the paint effects with different lighting…but be warned = if the black light is too intense Monster Mark will pop out of the card and eat your family…

They look like refractors under a black light. amazing!!!
...Yeah dude!...thanx for the comparison of regular lit/ultraviolet illuminated shots...I never looked at any of them under a blacklite prior to boxing and sending them back to Alvin/Topps...and I have yet to break out my 6ft blacklite fixtures to do so w/my AR cards...
MMF
Old 11-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #1483 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
I wonder if my "spacerat" sketch by Finneral would light up like these under a blacklight! Pretty nice!
...absolutely Arch!...the only parts that won't "glow" will be where I used opaque white paint to "pop" highlites on parts, such as eyes, teeth, drool, helmet domes...and where I used regular prismacolors to add tonal details...
MMF

Last edited by monster; 11-09-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #1484 (permalink)

Thanks! I'll check out my SpaceRat (beautiful sketch!) under a backlight.. now to find one.

Just for info: For 1962 Mars Attacks Set collector's (me one of them). Hakes is running an auction on a set.. In case your interested:

Hake's - TOPPS "MARS ATTACKS" SGC GRADED COMPLETE GUM CARD SET.
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #1485 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
Thanks! I'll check out my SpaceRat (beautiful sketch!) under a backlight.. now to find one.

Just for info: For 1962 Mars Attacks Set collector's (me one of them). Hakes is running an auction on a set.. In case your interested:

Hake's - TOPPS "MARS ATTACKS" SGC GRADED COMPLETE GUM CARD SET.
...much thanx again Arch!...
Old 11-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #1486 (permalink)

Quote:
Don't do medallions and patches again. People will get bored of them. Swap them out for something different, unless you are going to add a complete new range of medallions and patches, and you think you can continue to do that for an annual set.
So if we did new patches and medallions that would be cool? Any thoughts on other possible replacements?

Quote:
A redemption for original artwork does sound great, but I totally understand the price issue. It was the first thing I thought of, when I read the comment. However, that doesn't mean you can't get anything. Most of those guys do prelims/concept work before they get cracking on the final piece. Maybe you could get your hands on a couple of those, like one from each artist, at a decent price that doesn't kill your margins.
Almost every artist did their prelims digitally. Would only slow down production to insist they do it physically, just for the purpose of using them in the set (which might at worst offend them).

Quote:
maybe have a couple of the more popular artists (Proctor, Dastick, Finneral, Crosby, etc...) to do some puzzles or some larger pieces (like the NYCC covers, or 5x7 oversized cards) that could be used as redemptions.
An interesting notion.

What about selling a second series as a boxed set, without packs? You get a full set of the story, plus a random assortment of hits? Same price point. It would be essentially the same as a 24pk box, except you'd just get a full base set in addition to the randomized hits.

I've been thinking about this for some time, and it seems that the vast majority of fans are buying by the box (as there is a much more limited audience than say, Star Wars). So for the core hobbyists, you're getting the same hits which is really what's driving the product, and for the casual fan, you're guaranteed a base set to get the whole story, which is what THEY are looking for.

Thoughts?

Last edited by alvin; 11-09-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #1487 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
Almost every artist did their prelims digitally. Would only slow down production to insist they do it physically, just for the purpose of using them in the set (which might at worst offend them).
All my sketches are still traditional - pencil on paper. Call me an old fart. I must throw away hundreds of sketches each month for jobs. Some of my sketch pages and books have layered thumbnail sketches for multiple jobs.

Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/JasonCrosbyIllustration
JRCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #1488 (permalink)

Quote:
So if we did new patches and medallions that would be cool? Any thoughts on other possible replacements?
I think it would be okay... if you could keep it exciting and new. Better to get the opinion of others on that though. If Crypto doesn't have some sort of IP on the "Totally Fabricated" fake wardrobe cards, they would work for this set. Martian and soldier uniform swatches, etc... I like holograms and shadowbox cards as things that could be worked into the rotation.

Quote:
I'm always surprised when I hear these things are done digitally from start to finish

Quote:
What about selling a second series as a boxed set, without packs? You get a full set of the story, plus a random assortment of hits? Same price point. It would be essentially the same as a 24pk box, except you'd just get a full base set in addition to the randomized hits.

I've been thinking about this for some time, and it seems that the vast majority of fans are buying by the box (as there is a much more limited audience than say, Star Wars). So for the core hobbyists, you're getting the same hits which is really what's driving the product, and for the casual fan, you're guaranteed a base set to get the whole story, which is what THEY are looking for.
Personally, I don't like that configuration. I know a lot of people do though, and some other companies are claiming the market research says that is preferred by the majority of collectors.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #1489 (permalink)

Quote:
I know some people don't like them but those "Totally Fabricated" Wardrobe / Costume cards maybe? I am not sure on other ideas, but then I am far from creative myself...

Quote:

Thoughts?
Do you mean selling these as a factory base set with say an insert per set (patch or medallion maybe?) I think that would be pretty popular, but I guess it depends on what they would sell for.

Also looking for Harley Quinn, Iceman, Deadpool and Daredevil sketches
ekalbnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #1490 (permalink)

Quote:
I think it would be okay... if you could keep it exciting and new. Better to get the opinion of others on that though. If Crypto doesn't have some sort of IP on the "Totally Fabricated" fake wardrobe cards, they would work for this set. Martian and soldier uniform swatches, etc... I like holograms and shadowbox cards as things that could be worked into the rotation.
We thought about this, but felt it came off as cheesy.

Quote:
I'm always surprised when I hear these things are done digitally from start to finish
Actually there were only two new cards painted digitally. What I meant was that their sketches were done digitally.

Quote:
Personally, I don't like that configuration. I know a lot of people do though, and some other companies are claiming the market research says that is preferred by the majority of collectors.
What don't you like about it? What would the difference really be other than removing the foil wraps and guaranteeing a base set?
Old 11-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #1491 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekalbnz View Post
Do you mean selling these as a factory base set with say an insert per set (patch or medallion maybe?) I think that would be pretty popular, but I guess it depends on what they would sell for.
Yeah, same as a box of packs, so if it retailed for 60-80 it'd have 2 hits, if it was 30-40 maybe one hit. But the hits would be randomized just like a box of packs-- one sketch and one of something else perhaps.

Maybe even a more limited, numbered run. This would allow us to control the sketch quality, too.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #1492 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRCrosby View Post
All my sketches are still traditional - pencil on paper. Call me an old fart. I must throw away hundreds of sketches each month for jobs. Some of my sketch pages and books have layered thumbnail sketches for multiple jobs.
Surely you can do something else than throw them away?! Seems Package them together to sell? There must be collectors out there that would love to own a few of these.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #1493 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, same as a box of packs, so if it retailed for 60-80 it'd have 2 hits, if it was 30-40 maybe one hit. But the hits would be randomized just like a box of packs-- one sketch and one of something else perhaps.

Maybe even a more limited, numbered run. This would allow us to control the sketch quality, too.
To me that makes them seem to similar. My suggestion would be to limit the hits in the released base sets. Like not including sketches for a start. Just include 1-2 of the other insert hits like the patches or medallions.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #1494 (permalink)

Quote:
How about an Alien Blood slide card? You could do different images on the cards, and each slide would probably be it's on unique splatter. It would be an Alien DNA set of some sort.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #1495 (permalink)

My personal observations. . . even though I have only bought individual sketches at this point, I will be looking for a box or two some time. . .

Inserting original art redemptions doesn't seem feasible. . . what if you took some of the top sketch cards and made printed versions of them while inserting the sketch cards too? Could be a small subset. . . give people a 'lottery' pull if they find the original sketch card used to make the art, and is a nice little bonus for the artist too. . .

Drop the buy backs. . . Or . . .if you insist on doing buy backs use the '94 set. . .

The sketch quality seemed rocky at the start, but definitely improved with later breaks. . . I would keep it at 1 per box, even if you keep this level of quality I think that's good -- although there are a few artists I wouldn't mind seeing replaced. . .

Nice set.

Jon
Old 11-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #1496 (permalink)

Quote:
To me that makes them seem to similar. My suggestion would be to limit the hits in the released base sets. Like not including sketches for a start. Just include 1-2 of the other insert hits like the patches or medallions.
So you'd want something very different? In what way?

And you'd really forgo sketch cards?? I'll take that as just your personal opinion, but myself included, I think most fans really want sketches, as long as they are high quality.

Last edited by alvin; 11-09-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #1497 (permalink)

Quote:
So you'd want something very different? In what way?

And you'd really forgo sketch cards?? I'll take that as just your personal opinion, but myself included, I think most fans really want sketches, as long as they are high quality.
I mean no sketches in the factory sets. I would love to see a sketch included, but what I think would happen if a sketch was added to factory sets, that it would kill take away from buying the hobby boxes.

I would even suggest some sort of factory set only insert.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #1498 (permalink)

Quote:
I mean no sketches in the factory sets. I would love to see a sketch included, but what I think would happen if a sketch was added to factory sets, that it would kill take away from buying the hobby boxes.

I would even suggest some sort of factory set only insert.
Gotcha.

What if there were no hobby boxes? Factory sets only: including one base set and two randomized hits, maybe a few chase inserts?
Old 11-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #1499 (permalink)

Quote:
Gotcha.

What if there were no hobby boxes? Factory sets only: including one base set and two randomized hits, maybe a few chase inserts?
Then absolutely include sketches! Sorry, I thought you were thinking along the lines of having hobby boxes as well as factory sets (like they do/did with the base Topps NFL cards). Personally I would rather see these done in the standard hobby box setup because I love busting packs! Also I like when you need more than a single box to complete a base set - adds to the fun of the "chase".

Old 11-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #1500 (permalink)

Quote:
Then absolutely include sketches! Sorry, I thought you were thinking along the lines of having hobby boxes as well as factory sets (like they do/did with the base Topps NFL cards). Personally I would rather see these done in the standard hobby box setup because I love busting packs! Also I like when you need more than a single box to complete a base set - adds to the fun of the "chase".
We're debating right now if we should do a second set and if we did, how we'd do it. We are considering factory sets as well as hobby boxes. Just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts!