Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #1501 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
We're debating right now if we should do a second set and if we did, how we'd do it. We are considering factory sets as well as hobby boxes. Just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts!
Definitely do a second set! My personal preference would be keeping it in it's current hobby box format. But again this is just me, and others may prefer something else!
ekalbnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #1502 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekalbnz View Post
Definitely do a second set! My personal preference would be keeping it in it's current hobby box format. But again this is just me, and others may prefer something else!
Do you think factory sets-- with hits-- would turn people off? I love hobby boxes myself, ripping packs is so much fun!
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #1503 (permalink)

Quote:
Do you think factory sets-- with hits-- would turn people off? I love hobby boxes myself, ripping packs is so much fun!
Personally I would be a little turned off. The ripping of the packs for me is huge fun. Having the base set already assembled with a couple hits might appeal to some though. But I know I personally would rather buy a hobby box with a couple hits than a hobby set already assembled if I had the option.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #1504 (permalink)

Quote:
Actually there were only two new cards painted digitally. What I meant was that their sketches were done digitally.
I gotcha. That seems a little backwards to me. Most of the artists I know, or have worked with, do the line art by hand and then finish it digitally. But that is a relatively small subset of artists, and none that are doing base card art for a living.

Quote:
What don't you like about it? What would the difference really be other than removing the foil wraps and guaranteeing a base set?
I enjoy the entire ritual, from taking the plastic off the sealed box to busting the packs to sorting all of the cards. Card sorting is also something I do to de-stress. I don't even like the small press sketch sets where you get the full base set and 1 sketch card.

I also like the option of just buying a couple packs to try a product out.

I do understand why some people prefer this type of configuration, its just not for me. It wouldn't necessarily be a deal-breaker for me, but I'd prefer the traditional configuration.

To add on to my previous comments, I like Jon's idea of doing a printed sketch card insert set. In fact, I more than like that idea. I know its been done before. I don't care. I love it. I love owning the original that was used to make prints. You have many very talented artists that I think would be very honored to be chosen for that subset.

I also like the idea of character bios and weapon/arsenal subsets.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #1505 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I gotcha. That seems a little backwards to me. Most of the artists I know, or have worked with, do the line art by hand and then finish it digitally. But that is a relatively small subset of artists, and none that are doing base card art for a living.

I enjoy the entire ritual, from taking the plastic off the sealed box to busting the packs to sorting all of the cards. Card sorting is also something I do to de-stress. I don't even like the small press sketch sets where you get the full base set and 1 sketch card.

I also like the option of just buying a couple packs to try a product out.

I do understand why some people prefer this type of configuration, its just not for me. It wouldn't necessarily be a deal-breaker for me, but I'd prefer the traditional configuration.

To add on to my previous comments, I like Jon's idea of doing a printed sketch card insert set. In fact, I more than like that idea. I know its been done before. I don't care. I love it. I love owning the original that was used to make prints. You have many very talented artists that I think would be very honored to be chosen for that subset.

I also like the idea of character bios and weapon/arsenal subsets.
I must have missed that post. Absolutely love the idea! This would have been a great idea for the Creator Sketches for example.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #1506 (permalink)

Quote:
I must have missed that post. Absolutely love the idea! This would have been a great idea for the Creator Sketches for example.
This would require artists to do sketches months and months before production on the set begins, making development of the set take much longer. Just not feasible-- unless we use sketches from previous sets.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #1507 (permalink)

Is there only one version of a parallel concept card for each story card? i.e. if card X has a color concept parallel card it won't have a pencil concept parallel card and vice versa?

Or are there some cards with several different parallel concept cards?

--
mF
mattFoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #1508 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRCrosby View Post
All my sketches are still traditional - pencil on paper. Call me an old fart. I must throw away hundreds of sketches each month for jobs. Some of my sketch pages and books have layered thumbnail sketches for multiple jobs.
Yeah JRC, I am all about the traditional as well...putting pencil to paper(in this case, card stock!)...I like the idea of having/keeping the "evolution" of the image in all it's various stages of development...(I won't throw even the smallest scratchy scribble away if it relates to a larger piece)...
...In the case of this project, for me, there was no time to do preliminary sketches prior to working on the card blanks...what is on the sketch card(s) started on the card blanks...I did however make scans of all of the cards at the pencil stage(before kolorizing) to "preserve" them as digital b&w pencil sketches...
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #1509 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Yeah JRC, I am all about the traditional as well...putting pencil to paper(in this case, card stock!)...I like the idea of having/keeping the "evolution" of the image in all it's various stages of development...(I won't throw even the smallest scratchy scribble away if it relates to a larger piece)...
...In the case of this project, for me, there was no time to do preliminary sketches prior to working on the card blanks...what is on the sketch card(s) started on the card blanks...I did however make scans of all of the cards at the pencil stage(before kolorizing) to "preserve" them as digital b&w pencil sketches...
Like you mentioned for the Mars Attacks set, there was no time to do in depth sketches!!! It was usually a (very) rough thumbnail to get an idea then a quick pencil sketch on the actual card followed by final inks. I try to keep any sketch that's nice, but 3/4 of my sketches are so rough no one would want them. I HAVE to throw much away or my room would be full of newsprint!!!

If a printed sketch set is produced, I'd love to help!

Seeing the entire process of a piece from early brain fart to final excites me. Here are a few early sketches for my Mars Attacks puzzle cards, the first Mars Attacks piece I sent to Alvin plus an editorial job I did last week.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #1510 (permalink)

I'm oddly aroused by that zombies large nip.
justice41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #1511 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
I'm oddly aroused by that zombies large nip.
Cleanliness is next to zombiness.
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #1512 (permalink)

Quote:
Seeing the entire process of a piece from early brain fart to final excites me.
You're not the only one. Thanks for sharing.

I've made half assed attempts to get the prelims for anything I've commissioned. Haven't had much success
Old 11-10-2013, 01:15 AM   #1513 (permalink)

Quote:
Here are a few early sketches for my Mars Attacks puzzle cards, the first Mars Attacks piece I sent to Alvin plus an editorial job I did last week.
Jason those are very cool. I love seeing how it all comes together. The first pencil drawing of the Martian with the fire is better than some of the sketches that were released!
Old 11-10-2013, 01:19 AM   #1514 (permalink)

Quote:
If you go that route, I'd almost prefer that you sell the base sets separately and do a premium-product type set up for the rest where you'd get some combination of sketch cards, plates, parallels/variants, and other hits in a single pack (like Premier or some of the high-end sports products).

The idea of buying a bunch of factory sets to get to what I most desire (the sketches) is not very appealing.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #1515 (permalink)

IF you do factory sets with x number of hits, you have to serial number the base set and keep it low.

If you want to maximize your "eliteness" reproduce what Marvel Premier did. Base set serial numbered to 199. Ultra rare inserts. Base set sketch cards. It's a great model. Sold in single pack boxes with a few base cards and a few inserts.
sketchopolix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #1516 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchopolix View Post
IF you do factory sets with x number of hits, you have to serial number the base set and keep it low.

If you want to maximize your "eliteness" reproduce what Marvel Premier did. Base set serial numbered to 199. Ultra rare inserts. Base set sketch cards. It's a great model. Sold in single pack boxes with a few base cards and a few inserts.
Yeah that's sort of what I was thinking. long way to go, but was tinkering with the idea and it's great to have your input.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #1517 (permalink)

As a collector, I want a set to be attainable. For me that means the base set and inset sets, but not necessarily parallel sets (like gold). Then for the rare inserts, maybe get one of each as a representation. I also prefer to be able to get the set from opening packs and not having to rely on eBay. If I think of this in terms of MA, maybe if you made something like this -
> Retail boxes that would get you (or close to) the "116" from the current set.
> As said in prior comments, I'd want the concept subset to be attainable.
> I'd also toss one "B" level sketch card per box

> Hobby Packs that would contain:
- One "A" level sketch
- One second hit (auto, patch, badge, plate)
- 3 special cards (propaganda, gold, gore, etc)
This 5 card pack could be priced a little less than what the box costs

As a novice level collector, the 4 boxes I got gave me close to 4 extended base sets... which do nothing for me, and the main reason I bought the 4, were to get 4 nice sketches. I'd rather just pay for what I want and cut out the stacks and stacks of extras.
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #1518 (permalink)

I agree with the comments above that one or more serially numbered subsets would be the way to go. Upper Deck has set the bar high with it's PMG cards.

However, I think the inherent difficulty the MA property has vs. Marvel or Star Wars sets is the lack of unique characters that are sought out by different collectors. It is basically all Martians... Which is fine because they are cool, but I don't think a unique backed character (or even scene as suggested above) sketch card will work. Be a trend setter and focus on the artists. Reward those artists that have done good work for you on the 1st 2 sets with their own sketch card variants. Limit them to 25-50 per artist, and have them "done-in-one" sketch cards (no puzzles). You can still do loaded sketch packs, but they should be 2-4 separate sketches. Having a 4 card puzzle is often just a lazy way for an artist to spread an image that could have easily been featured on one card over 4 cards. These should not be allowed in any set.
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #1519 (permalink)

Will there eventually be a release of the SP information or are we on our own to figure it out? In particular, I'm curious about the medallion and patches.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #1520 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Will there eventually be a release of the SP information or are we on our own to figure it out? In particular, I'm curious about the medallion and patches.
I am not sure how accurate it is, but I noticed today Beckett has this set in their database and has Patches 2, 4, 6, 7, 11 & 14 and Medallions 2, 6 & 16 listed as SP.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #1521 (permalink)

One thing that would really help is better autos from the movie. That movie had TONS of awesome cameos. Surely some of those actors would be willing to sign.
Ty Hope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #1522 (permalink)

Quote:
I am not sure how accurate it is, but I noticed today Beckett has this set in their database and has Patches 2, 4, 6, 7, 11 & 14 and Medallions 2, 6 & 16 listed as SP.
Thanks--I'm surprised medallion 9 isn't on there. It seems more rare than 2 and 16 based on eBay. Maybe they just haven't been listed.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #1523 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Hope View Post
One thing that would really help is better autos from the movie. That movie had TONS of awesome cameos. Surely some of those actors would be willing to sign.
You'd be surprised... it was actually detrimental that the entire cast was A-list. Most of the cast were not "genre" actors who do lots of signings, so they were generally unavailable, uninterested, or priced out of our budget.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #1524 (permalink)

Quote:
Definitely wrong.
sketchopolix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #1525 (permalink)

Default Mars Attacks Die Cut Sketch Cards

Alvin,

Thanks for fielding suggestions from collectors. Not too many people in your role ask for collector input. This thread made me join the Blowout Card community, and I really appreciate your love for the set, and your desire to improve things even further with the next set.

It seems like a lot of the suggestions above are being shot down for either being too costly (original art redemption), or too difficult (having original sketch cards printed out as a subset), or both (having A list actors sign).

Maybe you could consider going back to a tactic that worked for Topps in the past to gain a broad range of collectors... Specifically, how about including diecut sketch cards in the next Mars Attacks sets? You could maybe get Sucklord (who gathered the artists for the Star Wars Galaxy 4 and 5 sets), or Simeon Lipman (who did the same for Star Wars Galaxy 6) to round up the artists to complete these sketches.

Not coincidentally, Star Wars Galaxy 4 and Star Wars Galaxy 6 were incredible hits among collectors and box breakers (with unopened boxes now selling for around $200 for each of these sets).

These diecut sets proved to be a great way to broaden the collector base because they used many artists that were outside of the realm of the normal pool of artists that do sketch cards. Your "normal" sketch cards will bring in your bread and butter sketch card collectors, and the diecuts will bring in a separate collector base (a lot of the artists Sucklord and Simeon brought in had their own established collector base via the underground and/or toy art scene). It would probably be best to have the diecuts as an extra hit (as in SWG4 where they came 2 per case) as opposed to being a replacement for the normal sketch card in the boxes they are packed in.

The diecut image would most likely be an alien head which I think would be a cool addition!

What do you think? Is a diecut set doable for the next Mars Attacks set?
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote